What's the point of arbitrage?

What's the point of arbitrage?

So just for fun I wrote an arbitrage script to do local arbitrage between 3 coins on an exchange and there's literally 0 opportunities. Every path yields a loss no matter when. How often do such opportunities appear?

Doesn't seem profitable at all. Why do people think this is?

arbitrage between exchanges exists all the time but its hard to take advantage of it

It exists but it's pure gambling, because you cannot predict how long it will take for the shitty exchanges to withdraw/deposit.

What are you people doing wrong?
You'll call me a larp and I don't mind but I've made a few hundred thousand dollars, seriously, arbitraging between exchanges by hand in 2017. Not even with a bot.

You just keep stacks of either fiat or BTC, depending on what you're arbitraging in, on multiple exchanges, wait for a time of high volatility, and then buy on one and sell on the other at the exact same time using mental math to account for fees. It adds up eventually.

If you're trying to do triangular arbitrage on a single exchange, OP, good fucking luck. Did you really think you're the only one?

Dumbass

>If you're trying to do triangular arbitrage on a single exchange, OP, good fucking luck. Did you really think you're the only one?

Nope, but you can say the same thing about cross-exchange arbitrage. So why is one profitable and the other isn't? Right, because with cross-exchange you're gambling as you cannot know if your funds will arrive on the other end in time.

Idiot.

Look I can call you names too, who knew!

you can write a script but you cant figure this out? lol bet youre trying to arb ltc, eth, xrp, xlm ect

You're a fucking dumbass because you're supposed to keep money and the asset you're arbitraging on both exchanges at all times, so when the prices change you sell on one exchange and buy on the other at almost the exact same time. Only for something you're already holding, like ETH. It's not gambling.

This is the only way to do it and that would be obvious to anyone who gave it a second of thought. That's why you're a dumbass.

this

i'm successfully arbing like $5 at a time between a pair of exchanges using a bot i made.

protip: just trade erc20s between centralised exchanges and decentralised ones like ED and IDEX

these are always so rare because exchanges always shut down their withdrawals and deposits

>herpaderpadurrr

This thread is about local arbitrage in case you still haven't figured that out, moron. So no I most certainly have not "given it a second thought".

you think exchanges don't have their own arbitrage bots?

I figured something like that might be happening. Wanted to hear Veeky Forums's explanation.

I'm running one. Working like crazy right now. But sometimes there are periods of inactivity lasting for 8+ hours.

internal arbitrage? which exchange if you dont mind me asking?

you have a strange attitude. why are you so toxic?

Took a hell lot of time to research and find the right path. Not every one is profitable, and some are occupied by other bots, apparently. Sorry, DYR, m8

Hah. I've made a killing on the KCS/GAS pair. The spread was close to 50% at one point.

That's fine, I'm not asking you to give up your secrets. Just wanted to know if you're talking about internal or cross-exchange arb

If a coin is pumping you can switch between BTC and ETH pairs and make money. You can catch a low sell on one and then move to the other pair.

>mental math
larping faggot confirmed

Bumping to learn

>holding arbitrage
lmao these are the people giving advice on biz

A profit is made by selling on the higher priced exchange, then buying back on the lower priced exchange (this assumes fees are more than covered by the gain made by doing this). The coin is held because you'd want to do this again in the future, I don't think that user's concern is which direction the price of the coin moves, so they don't mind holding it.

Been there, done that.
If someone else is doing it at the same time your opportunities disappear