Steel rusts (yes, even """stainless""" steel)

>steel rusts (yes, even """stainless""" steel)
>aluminium melts and also corrodes
>stone breaks and chips

What's the best material for securing your private key / seed phrase / password / ... ?

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/extreme/223144-researchers-develop-superman-memory-crystal-that-could-store-360tb-of-data
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

stop being paranoid soy boy

Paper

2 pieces of paper, far apart from each other in trusted location.

Also, s3 buckets it more than 1 region, encrypted of course.

No such material exists that is:

Totally Water-Proof
Totally Fire-Proof
Totally Corrosion-Proof

Time destroys all material

Gold

I just want something that would survive some bashing and a house fire.

Melts super easily.

just sell your crypto and buy gold

Paper in fireproof lockbox.

Finding a box like that seems like more of a hassle and expense than getting a piece of metal and dremeling in some characters.
Plus, I'm sure if it gets hot enough during the fire, the paper will spontaneously combust before the metal in the box starts melting.

so have several back ups

Titanium

If you live in the US they sell fireproof lockboxes at any "superstore" so they are very easy to find and inexpensive. You should get one at least for the sake of storing your birth certificate/social security card/other important documents.

t. saved important documents through a house fire

How long you wanna store it that aluminum or stainless steel coroding or stone eroding is an issue? We have readable stone tablets from Sumer.

Does it have some kind of lining, like ceramics or something?

Aluminum and steel can corrode in a matter of years depending on the conditions.
The right stone doesn't corrode, no. lol. But it does chip and break under rough handling.

Not sure what material is generally used in them, but they're some sturdy motherfuckers and can be gotten on the cheap. Def a worthwhile investment.

so rewrite it if you see it starting to corrode, why are making issues out of nothing?

>What's the best material for securing your private key
your brain

>bump your head
>???
>gone

txt file on your puter

engraved mine on titanium

Get yourself a spade and a big bag of salt. Dig your key into your back lawn and compact the holes in with salt.

>"honey, why does the lawn spell 5Kb8kLf9zgWQnogidDA76MzPL6TsZZY36hWXMssSzNydYXYB9KF ?"

copper

I send normal looking emails to myself using word ciphers to extract recovery phrases.

If an acid flood covers your town you'll have bigger problems to worry about

I have pic related hooked up to a sprinkler system.

Are you retarded OP?

In the digital era you're looking medieval methods of storing info?

Do this:

Download 7zip.
Put everything you need in a folder.
Create a hard yet easy to remember password:
>beOP>getfuckedby7niggers>????>profit
Compres the folder with 1024 bit encrytion
Send the compressed folder fucking everywhere, internal hd, external hd, google drive, your moms email...

Voila, you have a secure an indestrutible way of preserving info

>beOP>getfuckedby7niggers>????>profit
Who, that's a good password. Mind if I use this as my password?

wtf how did you know my password

Also, where and how would you then store that password?
That's what this thread is about.

Go ahead, is all yours my friend

Repeat process with password and a simpler one as gateway, send to different places? At the end you can argue that he will have to remember something, be it the password or where the metal piece is.

As far as I know, this

This is by far the best. If you want to think of a material I'd go for:

Cheap everyday tier:
Clay (properly cooked), bronce or get one of those 3D impresions in glass, these should last thousands of years of not broken.
High density ceramics: buy a ceramic knife and try to engrave it with a diamont tool, good luck.

Mind-jerk tier:
Quarzt impresion - potentially millions of years.

rust

except gold...I mean unless you have aqua regia or throw it under a torch.

Cut the waveform of you uttering the phrase onto a gold plate.

not in a fucking house fire dude...clearly you've never worked with the metal.

t. metalsmith

>solid gold cock ring properly fitted with public key engraved around exterior circumference and private key engraved around interior circumference

backwards tattoo on the forehead

extremetech.com/extreme/223144-researchers-develop-superman-memory-crystal-that-could-store-360tb-of-data

He has a point, gold does not oxidize. Or because your a super sped you could put everything under 1 private key and just memorize it.

>steel rusts (yes, even """stainless""" steel)
stainless steel is a broad term that covers a number of different metal alloys. 316 stainless has a very low iron content and at worst will bleed a tiny bit of rust, even in a saltwater environment.
>aluminium melts and also corrodes
All metals melt, the degree it will corrode to depends on the environment. In open air, even near the coastline it will oxidize to certain point then slow down drastically because the oxidation that already occurred blocks the base metal from further exposure .
>stone breaks and chips
Yes stone would be fucking dumb

tldr; etch it deep enough in basically any metal and you have little to worry about unless you plan on taking it surfing with you everyday.

Stainless steel isn't going to rust unless you chuck it in the ocean or something. If that's really an issue use titanium. If you're really paranoid etch it in glass, but you'll need a big chunk of glass to be sure you can't break it.

perfect crystal at absolute zero has no entropy, good luck !!!

cubic zirconia

If you send it at light speed it wont even experience time.

I think we're onto something

Iridium
Melting point: 2446 °C
The most corrosion-resistant metal known: even white-hot, acids and bases do nothing.
Incredibly hard, so nothing will scratch away your seed words
However, total global production is only three tons or so, and a credit-card sized piece will run you $3000 for the material alone, not counting the difficulty and expense of forming and imprinting one of the hardest metals known. If you want the best though, this is it.

Tungsten titanium or carbon

A piece of clay would prob be best. We keep uncovering those things after thousands of years man

Cockroach DNA

Stainless steel or aluminum is more than sufficient. Preferably aluminum because it has a higher melting point.

This thread is retarded "diamond is he hardest metal" tier

I have my private key on paper and its laminant sealed, im also going to buy a cheap belt from walmart, i will engrave the private on the thin strip of metal where i will then unnoticeably split the belt and tuck the metal strip in between then seal it up with thr best super glu and that way it will always be right on me forever, and if i lose the belt oh well, they will never suspect that there is a tiny strip of metal sealed shut inbetween the fake leather

Make one of these with your qr code.

Google shit before you make yourself look like an idiot.
Aluminium melts at 660.32 °C.
Stainless melts around 1400 °C, depending on which specific alloy.

That requires giving your private key to someone with a laser engraver. Any method must be DIY, or you're just asking to get robbed.

crispr gene edit your pet or even better, yourself! Like that even your descendants will be able to acces it.

>Impliying someone will know what the fuck you're doing.
>implying you're not killing him and burning his shop anyway to be sure.

>Implying he didn't take a picture of his finished piece to proudly put on his normiebook page portfolio

> what is cloud storage

I solved the security problem of crypto by not going on holidays or going out until I am a millionaire and have enough money out of the crypto ecosystem and into proper funds to deliver me passive income. Until then I simply cannot risk going out for long amounts of time.

Jokes aside go to some physical shop with a usb, tell him is the wifi password (fuck, thats pretty cool, Ill do it for my house).
He will have save the data in his.computer and then know your public key anyway to match the wallet. Is a risk (he can try to parcour all the eth wallets), but a really small one.

>Incredibly hard, so nothing will scratch away your seed words
Well then nothing would scratch them in either.
And I'm not rich enough to buy a genuine samurai sword.

Any tool with a diamond tip would work. It will take forever though

Literally except Gold and Mercury

I laughed

I printed a page out with the key at my work office 1 month ago, how bad did i fuck up

The printer may keep a copy of everything printed on internal storage. The more expensive/complex the printer, the more likely.

Iridium katana, find a master Smith who doesn't understand English to engrave your seed phrase.

Make your seed phrase sound like a samurai quote.

Ok but what arw the chances someone will dig thru the printer memory to search for my private key, no one here knows anything about crypto, even if they did stumble upon it later they wouldnt know what to do with it

Just memorize all of it with your 600IQ, user

Sure, at the moment. But how long will that printer stay there? Where will it go once they get rid of it?

LOTR larp and solid crypto protection. Will do. And then wear the ring on ring finger even tho u married and refuse to wear wedding band any other time.

Vellum with black ink

And then when a nigger steals your gold ring he will have a nice extra surprise