Precious metals general /pmg/

Now that crypto is ded, let's discuss tangible, deflationary assets

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qDpkhGBc7AA
rmg.royalmint.com/
superuser.com/questions/1014071/how-to-protect-my-digital-data-from-solar-flares
ethpyramid.com/coins.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bitcoin Gold.

I swear it has been years since a metal thread.

Bitcoin really is fucked.

I remember someone talking about buying copper and just waiting for the price to raise to resell it. Always wondered how it turned out for him

Metal thread?
Metal thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=qDpkhGBc7AA

Does art count as something tangible?

I have like 70kgs of the stuff I was going to melt into swords, should I hold?

bitcoin gold is a shitcoin, kys

Here is my pitch for gold and silver

>near the cost of inflation
>will NEVER go to zero, unlike internet money which can easily go to zero
>has five thousand years of history as a store of value and money
> hedge against recessions, inflation, the USD and the bond market
>will retain its value during an EMP or solar flare, unlike internet money
>current price is close to the cost of production which will only go up as energy gets more expensive due to peak oil.

Gold has been proven time and time again to NOT be an inflation hedge.

The British Royal Mint is launching a Gold backed cryptocurrency called RMG - 1 RMG = ownership of 1g of Gold held in their vaults, which you can take physical posession of if you want.

rmg.royalmint.com/

Perth Mint in Australia has similar plans.

>let me tell you why this thing with no intrinsic value has more intrinsic value than this other new thing because for 5000 years stupid people have convinced themselves that this old thing that has no intrinsic value actually does have intrinsic value

Would it not then be pegged to the gold ... hence why not just buy gold.

That's the point. "RMG is an alternative way to invest in and trade physical gold."

Gold certificate already exist. This is just let's try adding crypto into the mix type of thing.

superuser.com/questions/1014071/how-to-protect-my-digital-data-from-solar-flares

Blockchain is EMP and Solar flare resistant.
Hard drives do not fail to solar flares, so when the grid goes back up, everything is fine.
EMPs would have to knock out every server on earth to destroy the blockchain.

Think of it like gold securities

It's pretty much a way to generate more wealth from nothing, like most other investing options.

Ever heard of Xaurum?

You do realise that silver has the second most industrial uses out of any commodity right? It's the second most behind OIL.

You just exposed yourself as being a brainlet. Silver is used in

>electronics
>solar panels
>anti-bacterial medicines
>nanotechnology
>production of cars

You can't get any more intrinsic than this.

So why don't you buy shares in those companies instead of buying silver?
You're missing out on growth and dividends

Looks like Goldcorp has bottomed out. Time to load up.

yeah and an ounce of some metal is worth $17/$13k. Dumbass.

Agree. The only problem is there's only like 2 pureplay silver companies you can buy. And they look like shit right now.

I post here everyday

So what was that shitpost about applications of silver about?

That wasn't me.

>is heavy and shiny

What is your preferred way to invest in gold?

Britannia 1 ounce coins. In my country they are capital gains tax free but I also find the current editions to be some of the most attractive coins out there

Invest in Molybdenum. It's going to the moon.

SHINY BEADS

I almost cashed out last week into gold. Fucking hate myself for not doing it.

Why are shiny metals valuable? Gold has some uses, but not any more than a lot of other ones. Shouldn't we have outgrown this?

silver has a 25% tax on it in my cucked EU country

Its why I don't bother with silver in the UK, it has 20% VAT on it but gold does not.

who /schiffhead/ here

Anyone else think the Graphene market is going to hit it big within the next 5-10 years?

I only invest in art and gold. Buy them dirt cheap and sell them for 5x to 20x. You need to know your stuff.

What do you think it'll be used for?

Personally I have invested a bit in materials like Lithium. With electric cars getting more popular & countries pushing for their use, it should go up in value. Same with Kobalt

I've seen metal thread on here regularly, they just get shit on because of cryptobugs.

>buy shares in those companies

Shares that are valued in fiat currency which is depreciating in value. The purpose of owning metals is to hedge against exactly that depreciation and also market volatility. Investing in the companies defeats the purpose entirely.

Same for paper contracts: the metal they have on paper is vastly more than the physical metal they possess, which means that if everyone demanded delivery in a short enough span of time, most of them would get payments in fiat rather than the physical metal.

it's like poor bimbos talking about Ferrari and Lamborghini and Bugatti and whatever, because:

- you can't buy actual precious metal; you only get some "certificate" for some metal which will be extracted sometime in future (did you now that next 3-4 years of gold mining has actually ben sold on paper?)

- even if you physically own it, you can't spend a fraction of it (you'd at least need some man in the middle managing it... same thing as having a paper certificate); in your lifetime it doesn't happen often to buy some new house or supercar;

- and yet you still have the fuckin problem of defending it against thieves and scammers.

I'd be happy to own some "tangible asset" pieces valued in the ideal $300 - $3000 range each one.

>I've seen metal thread on here regularly, they just get shit on because of cryptobugs.
It's really a shame. Veeky Forums really has gone to shit with all the crypto shilling.
Obviously it has a place here, but it is rare to see even ONE thread that isn't related to either crypto or off-topic

Oh .. so like a Commodity Exchange. Why did no one think of this sooner?

so you are a jewish fag

The price hasnt even taken off yet..

It will do in the next 12 months

ethpyramid.com/coins.html

Since this one will be running for years it might actually be worth a hodl

I didn't say it wasn't a dumb idea. There were a bunch of people that jumped on the crypto wagon who otherwise knew nothing about investing; maybe RMG are trying to get them interested in trading on their platform by throwing the buzzwords around.

thats why money has already moved entirely into the digital realm, you get divisibility/transferability, and much better security entirely for free.

the only thing we were missing was a way to represent digital money not backed by a promise.

I have a feeling the stopped clock is going to be right soon

I think it could possibly be a contender against lithium in the battery market.
Outside of that due to it being highly durable, flexible, and lightweight it could be used for protection of army personnel, as well as outer shells for space stations.
Also since it is transparent it could be used for solar panels, and a Chinese based company already is manufacturing and selling touch panels to phone companies.
I am pretty new to metal trading though, so my assumptions on how this would impact the market might be a little far fetched.

IIRC don't the Canadian and Australian economies usually do well during global downturns because it is resource/metal heavy?

Would now be the time to invest in those?

Interesting. If it has that many potential uses, I bet at least one will turn out lucrative. I'll look into it.

I personally have some money invested in certain metals through an investment fund specifically aimed at are likely to be more desired in the future.

EthPYRAMID? There not even trying to hid it anymore.

is there any point in investing in metals if I only have around 3k to invest?

Silver would probably be the best since it's cheap, and has some good room for improvement.
Supposedly China is going to be investing 8 billion into solar systems which will probably cause Silver to go up in the future.

so it's still worth it even at low investment amounts?
also complete newfag to this, investing in metals literally means taking ingots of it home, right?

fiat is for goyim
gold is for jews
crypto is for neets

Decided to get out of crypto by buying silver with my coins. I honestly made a decent decision. There is a lot less stress in buying metals than shitcoins.

Coins and bars not ignots
Silver is usually like 1/10 of gold and right now it’s way less.

With governments spending the money supply into worthlessness, silver is a good hedge against it. Gold too.

Just going to slowly buy silver coins and build up a decent stash. It's hard finding decent prices on gold where I live.

whats up with gold?

>current price is close to the cost of production which will only go up as energy gets more expensive due to peak oil.
he doesn't know about fusion power

silver is a byproduct of the industry. nobody wants it

where were all these faggot normies when the price wasn't down 50% in a week. I legitimately hope all crypto monday morning quarterbacks who write professionally and need to wait to kick bitcoin when it's down will kill themselves over the coming year.

Paper gold is over sold on the commodity exchange, if you look at the amount of gold that has ever been mined and the amount of gold traded in etfs or over the commodity exchange all the gold in the world changes hands every week and a half. I know for a fact this isn't possible because my gold is still in my safe! To estimate the true level that gold is over sold is impossible but I've heard experts with opinions ranging from 4 to 400 times. Ie. Each ounce of gold has between 4 and 400 owners who all think it's theirs! I know my gold only has one owner: me, as I hold it physically and possession is 3/5th of the law. Gold etfs have clauses in their contact that they can refund you with fiat if they ever need to

Cryptogold solves this over selling problem in the same way bitcoin solves the double spend problem - but you still have to trust the vault holds the gold. Large scale communal vaults are also more susseptable to government confiscation. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't just buy physical gold

He's always been right, just wrong on the timescale - we are living in unprecedented times, we are literally test subjects to experimental monetary policy on a global level. Schiff isn't a stopped clock, he just predicted it too early.

did just something happened that gold and silver are going down?

This. I always had my gold physically. Low tech rules in a shtf scenario. I never even understood the deal with paper gold. Unless you have shit tons of gold, you can easily hide it in a hidden floor safe or whatever, just don't tell anyone about it. And if you do have shit tons, security is even more affordable.

Sadly I had to sell my gold during a lean period, made a handsome profit of it though. I'll buy again when I have more liquidity

>Deflationary
>they can keep mining more and more and more anytime
>soon we will be able to transmute other metals into gold at a cheap price

Might as well buy dirt

Well I want it.

>no ones buying it
JP Morgan says otherwise.

Bout 10oz when it was 1100 an oz. now just waiting patiently for it to go back down...but don’t think it will. What do biz I want more gold

Paper gold is basically at spot price and is highly liquid. That's the appeal. Most people buy gold for a long term investment though so those advantages arnt necessary

If you want more buy more, it's never going back down imo

Are you buying gold from niggers that break into houses? Because that's the only way I could see 5-20x returns on gold.

If someone wants paper gold they should just buy the stocks of mining companies. Or options on gold or mining companies.

Yeah that's an advantage, I overlooked that. But it's basically the only advantage and like you said, it's hardly an advantage at all

I read somewhere that the silver extraction.cost is arround 11$, which is several times lower than the market cost, where did you get your info?

why not both?

If you went to invest in lithium, I'd suggest a Chilean ETF, as that where it all comes from. It's done really well over the past year.

>failed the reading comprehension class
can you even read? i said no one wants it (in the industry)

Silver is extracted as a byproducted. Silver really does have large potentially upsides at the moment but I don't buy it to hedge against economic collapse as the vast majority of its demand is derived from high tech industry that expect to get hammed in a depression

>copper sword
uhhh

that's a no-brainer

Didn't Runescape teach you nothing?
Tin+copper=bronze

Look at all the haters. U are right tho friendo. I got PMs and cryptos. Silver is gunna b real important and pricey soon. Without manipulation n the markets we will see over $15000 gold and over $200 silver. Fucking screencap if you want you smelly fuckin gypsies. And soon these metals will b on blockchain for better tracking/oversight etc etc. Look for dat too. Or just put fingers n butts all day i dont care.

200 dollars by 2020?
Lamboland?

>with no intrinsic value
>gold
Oy VAY money isn't real goyim nothing matters just print more paper and more people will be rich!

How much money would you need to effectively buy a real amount of silver

Investing in metals means buying gold or silver (buy silver!) from local pawn shops or from online bullion sites. Hell you can go to jmbullion and buy silver with bitcoin. Delivered right to ur house. My problem is i always lose the metals i get delivered.

I even had dubs. Lamboland brother. Soooon.

>will be able to transmute other metals into gold

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it

Minimum order at a lotta sites is one Benjamin. But u can just buy single coins over time.
To all u silver bugs. I just learned you can really carve up some ice with silver. It is pretty cool. Cuz o dat high thermal conductivity. Ice starts flowin the moment silver touches it.

Well the financial jews like JP are gobbling all the physical metal up, and intentionally ignoring (almost) all cryptos. Something fishy is going on there.

Did you mean silver is a byproduct of the gold-mining industry? Either way, its value is in being Gold's little brother, and being an indispensable material for manufacturing many things. Maybe if better, more space-age methods of manufacturing were revealed to the public, it would become worthless. Idk. I have my assets stored in all sorts of shit. Never put your eggs in one basket and all that.

Yup and we will turn rocks into chocolate bars solving world hunger.

Don't buy gold or silver, I was going to but I read an article where a team did a study and found twice and much gold and four times as much silver is being sold each there THAT HAS EVER BEEN MINED.

I'm looking for it now.

and you have tin? that's my point....

t. 20 kilo stack of 75/25 cupronickel.

twice as much gold and four times as much silver is being sold each year than what has ever been mined*

Sorry I've been up all night because of the crash.