STELLAR LUMENS vs. RIPPLE

I have currently some XRP but I am interested in XLM since supposedly both tokens compete for the same market.

Suppose I was a bank or some other financial institution and I wanted to implement one of these two into my system. Convince me why your system is better than the other. Is it ...
... faster?
... cheaper?
... better tech in some other aspects?

XRP is for the rich and powerful. XLM is for the poor and weak.

They're pretty much identical. Ripple has more github commits, so I'd probably go with that.

Wow, that logic.
My romanian colleague always took 20 commits before he finally correctly fixed a bug. Correct fix ended up being changing just one line of code.

He must have been a genius.

Except that all the major European banks are going to use it.

See

Yeah it's not fullproof and it assumes every commit does the same. I think for two projects, it's likely every commit does roughly the same. Do you have a better metric?

Stellar is better than ripple in every fucking way

>Decentralized
>IBM is backing them
>Smaller tx fees
>Faster
>Inflation (free XLM for holding it)
>Has a real fucking roadmap for the future, super promising
>FairX will change crypto as we know it
>Literally the best and most likely chance crypto has to get real world adoption (in other words, stellar holders will become millionaires)

Why the fuck would you ever buy a centralized shitcoin like ripple?

Bare in mind banks can't hold either or these coins since they will have a 100% (or worse) risk-weighting under BASEL when banks are constrained for capital. The only use of these tokens is for spam protection.

Stellar has non profit stuff in mind as turn off, but has dapps (not released though)
XRP(not Ripple) may boom or implode like something never seen, more risk/gains.

I am stuck with the second I like it or not. I think it can grow more, Weaky Sneaky has been proven to get stuck easily.

mobi

Banks aren't using cryptos for currency. They are using it to exchange and verify data. Which is exactly the power of the blockchain.

And if everyone starts using a certain chain, like everyone is using Ethereum for their tokens now, then the users who use it as a currency will follow.

No, I just know the amount of commits doesn't say anything about the value of each. The amount of shoes the developers have at home is as good a metric as that.

Maybe lines of code and commits together?
If there are two projects with the exact same functionality and stability; I would say the one with the least amount of code is probably the best and most efficient.

But again without looking at the actual contents of commits you can't say anything.

i hold both

Why though? Both XRP and Stellar are extremely volatile and have very little backing them (their intrinsic value is paying for tx fees, which are low). Compare this to dollars which have millions of firms and companies which have promised to give goods and services in the future in return for dollars.

It's fairly simple. All banks currently have their own databases and standards. And if you want to send money, put out some guarantees and so on then banks need to communicate with each other and compare their data. With lots of room for human error and fraud in between.

On the blockchain you can instantly send a message. You can see the origin of the message, so it cannot be fraudulent. It cannot be modified and messed it. So you can instantly verify it. So banks only have to agree on common standards on how to phrase certain things.

wuts the expectancy of xlm once FairX opens?

Would it be around like the value of how Binance/kucoin own coin be?

Oh wait, I misunderstood your question. The value of crypto is only volatile because of few people are still using it. And the value isn't tied to the economy yet. When you establish that 1 coca cola is worth 100 stellar than you know the economic value of stellar.

And the benefit of using crypto is that you have full control over your currency, wallets and payments. With no middlemen.

Yes - I understand the benefits of moving towards an open protocol (the main benefit of ripple and stellar is rippling however) for transfers, settlements and lending.

I asking why xlm or xrp will be used as a currency. The network is neat, but the token is pretty much a sideline to it.

keep your fidget spinner holding bags away from XLM or wait for "banks" to try to buy xrp from you when they "need" it for ripplenet tx... oh wait, they never will and ripple hands that shit out like candy to their partners...

so keep holding that xrp

>mfw i have both

In terms of a payments system, crypto has terrible problems. It has very poor scaling, it's easily hackable (because private keys are), it doesn't have reversable transactions, it has poor privacy and it's extremely volatile. Compare this to say the Sterling (or any fiat) which is tied to the British economy, has reversable transactions and is very scalable.

Just look at the euro and how countries are getting screwed over by not being able to control their monetary policy.

Money has no intrinsic value. It is only as good as the things you can buy for it. And the bottom value of every currency is whatever has to be bought with this type of money because you can not switch to another currency. Example: gold will always be as lest as valuable as its utility. USD will always be as valuable as much as people value evading the wrath of the IRS and other agencies.

XRP and XLM recieve value from being tools to transact value from A to B faster and cheaper than anything else. And the really are the best. They also become more valuable the more people use it (Like telephones become more valuable if everybody uses them instead of just two people in the world). Thus they are mutually exlusive. At some point one will have to kill the other. I also do not see any chance for any new competitor at this point anymore.

using the token reduces the cost of using the network.

Cuz a lot of people think buying a coin of a good platform will sell higher later for a crypto collector. It doesn't matter if it's useful or not. Just that it will sell for higher.

I'm not a fan of that mentality. That's why I bought ChainLink. The token has a real utility. Like I actually NEED to WORK for it to make me money. Staking, maintaining a node and developing new external adaptors in order to compete. I love it. It's not just "hold" your coins. It's actually put them to real use.

SWIFT has been working with Chainlink for 4 years. You think they'll switch to XLM and XRP and gut their whole systems? Fuck no. Another reason why I don't ChainLink it's cuz it's a middleware so banks don't need to upgrade their systems to make it work. It's just a middleware. A plug in.

I hope you don't waste your money on coins just cuz their from a platform you like. I hope you put your hard earned money in coins that have actual utility. Peace.

The problem with the euro is that there is a monetary policy based on who has the most votes at the European central bank. Which isn't the smaller countries. And the policy is a compromise between countries.

South Europe wants to inflate its debts away. And a small country like the Netherlands for example has high pension savings that will vaporize. In that sense a stable crypto is more useful.

That's false - Fiat currencies are debts. Banks have long-term debts as their assets. Basically thousands of companies and governments have promised to give back goods and services in exchange for dollars in the future. This is what gives fiat currency its value. Do you live in the pre-medici era or something?

As I've stated, XLM and XRP aren't the best - VISA currently is much faster and can deal with refunds. In addition, my entire transaction history isn't available to mcdonalds when i buy a big mac from them.

You can even use fiat on stellar and ripple, so all the advantages cross over. When I get paid in pounds, why would i bother converting it to lumens, paying for my coke, then the merchant converting it back to pounds.

Exactly, it would be better if the netherlands had its own currency and south europe had its own currency. Then currency exchange rates would devalue/increase value their respective currencies, incentivizing imports/exports.

XLM is literally ripple 2.0

Im betting on both. Short term XLM has more potential. XRP is hoping for the snowball effect

Fiat is not fiat denominated assets. Think of the fiat as the token of the fiat system. fiat denominated assets are held by banks because goverments promise them to pay fiat which is at least as valuable as much as people value evading the wrath of goverment agencies that collect taxes. In a world where almost everybody has to pay them even if someone gets more fiat back then he or she has to pay fiat becomes universally accepted for good and services.

Btw XLM and XRP are both faster and cheaper than VISA especially if you transfer internationally from a country where they use system A to another that uses system B. Example SEPA to SWIFT. Compare 4 - 6 seconds to up to 1 - 3 days.

Also you do not have to use fiat on stellar or ripple if they are themselfs valuable. You can settle payments with them alone

Imagine being this retarded

This

How's that going for your freefalling USD?

Country-specific currencies do float almost the same as a theoretic globally-used currency though. The volatility is not a huge argument in the end stage assuming a crypto manages to become a currency. The difference like you said is that sharing a currency wouldn't give extra benefit to the wealthy countries

You're not wrong about crypto becoming a serious currency being a big stretch. Privacy and scaling are solvable problems though, XLM is doing LN for example, and security and reversability concerns are something you just have to live with if you want to own your funds for yourself. Crypto might have a realistic chance at spreading as a currency in third world countries, first world not any time soon if ever, but anything can happen. Personally I'm open to all options so I'll always have a share in crypto

Ripple is faster(slightly), stellar is cheaper(by quite a bit), stellar has a lot better tech (sdex, ico support ). Choice is clear imo