Thought you guys would get a kick out of this

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306

Sound familiar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ddAtMMDeeq8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Underated thread. Good one OP, unlike 99% of Veeky Forums.

Great find. Many kek's had.

What this made me realize though... the internet in 1995 sounded like a goddamn fairy tale. Blockchain in 2018 doesn't have quite the same mystic allure.

Internet
>immediate access to all literature & journalism
>shop online
>'virtual' town meetings
>Work online // replace physical workplaces

Blockchain
>Everyday transactions are slightly cheaper (~0.1% instead of 3%)
>Replaces currency exchange
>More secure way of voting

Like seriously, what other everyday uses does blockchain have for the average consumer?

>The truth in no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.
>Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems.

Hahahahaha holy shit it's not even satire. This guy probably killed himself.

Imagine being this fucking wrong.

>I can't think of any other uses thus there must be none

Can you name any?

>What the Internet hucksters won't tell you is tht the Internet is one big ocean of unedited data, without any pretense of completeness. Lacking editors, reviewers or critics, the Internet has become a wasteland of unfiltered data. You don't know what to ignore and what's worth reading.
I feel like The Patriots wrote this.

imagine being this wrong

I think my dad wrote this

It doesn't matter if I can name any. It's a new technology so nobody can know what it will come of it.
The thing is technology grows exponentially because you can combine every new finding with old ones.
People first thought the Internet was only useful for fast communication and now it has revolutionized almost every existing industry.
The same will happen with blockchain technology. But just to give you a few examples:
>global trans-border currency with fast transactions
>smart contracts
>track anything, for example products to digitilize a supply chain
>reduce bureaucracy in public and private organizations
>incorruptible database can be used to prevent fraud and errors
Those are pretty big fucking deals on their own and they're still pretty basic.
In summary the blockchain can be used to automize and verfiy everything.
The possibilities are endless and I can't wait to see what people make out of it.

This guy is such an autistic sperg.

youtube.com/watch?v=ddAtMMDeeq8

Tracking produce for example
Why isn’t there any ICOs for tracking vegetables on the blockchain?
Seriously

Doesn't VEN do that? I mean not specifically vegetables but anything. The type of product doesn't really matter.

I wonder what we'll be seeing in 3-5 years. Are we overrating blockchain, based on how revolutionary the internet was?
Or maybe we're underrating DLT and smart contracts even moreso than the internet, because the internet's impact was so much more immediate and tangible to literally anyone

Blockchain, DLT and smartcontracts, it's all so abstract to everyday society, yet has the potential to completely change everything. Time will tell.

Yes.

youre a fucking brainlet dude. blockchain can literally replace the entire concept of bureaucracy

Blockchain can literally create an ancap "utopia" by obsoleting the concept of taxation and thus the concept of government.

Good thread.
Anymore articles like this one? Grew up in the 90s so I always get a nostalgia hardon for that time.
On a related note, I saw an interview with Steve Jobs a few days ago from around the same time as this article. Even though I think he was a massive cunt and I dislike Apple, I have to admit that the memes about him being a visionary were somewhat right. That interview was basically the opposite of this article. He was nailing predictions with surprising accuracy and realism. Heard some guy say once that Apple is not a tech company but an UX company and their succes is due to their ability to simplify the way humans interact with technology. Maybe this is what the blockchain needs as well. Call me deluded, but this is one of the reasons I'm balls deep in ARK. Their philosophy is similar in that regard to Apple: Point. Click. Blockchain & "the wordpress of blockchain" are good principles that can push this technology to become mainstream and get adoption.

I think VEN, WTC and TRAC are projects working on this. Not produce specifically, but tracking products and verifying if they are counterfeit

Have you seen the original iPhone presentation? It's a work of art. Steve Jobs was amazing at delivering presentations and he sold the fucking iPhone like a pro

>What's missing from this electronic wonderland? Human contact. Discount the fawning techno-burble about virtual communities. Computers and networks isolate us from one another. A network chat line is a limp substitute for meeting friends over coffee. No interactive multimedia display comes close to the excitement of a live concert. And who'd prefer cybersex to the real thing? While the Internet beckons brightly, seductively flashing an icon of knowledge-as-power, this nonplace lures us to surrender our time on earth. A poor substitute it is, this virtual reality where frustration is legion and where—in the holy names of Education and Progress—important aspects of human interactions are relentlessly devalued.

Well he's right on this one.

Hmm, MIT Media Lab predicted Amazon and are now working on Enigma.
Nah, fuck that nobody would want to buy data.

I only saw it for the first time like 1 year ago and at first I thought it was "cool but meh". Only after I've realised how shitty the presentations from other companies were I came to appreciate it. Of course it's about context as well. A friend told me he watched it when it first came out.I asked him if he was "brain washed" by it and he admited that he totally was. This guy is one of the most cynical and down to earth people I know. Him admiting that he was blown away by it really made me reconsider Apple as a company and I started to look more into their marketing so I can understand exactly wtf they are doing that works so well.
Fun fact: in the age of digital marketing these faggots don't even have social media. They have a Facebook and Twitter page, but the comments are disabled and there's almost 0 content on them. Apparently it's due to the fact that their brand alone is worth billions and they can't afford to lose brand equity due to some shitlords commenting on their official pages, so they'd rather keep them empty and disable the comments. It's quite brilliant when you think about it.