Besides crypto, are there any millionaires on this board that made it trough working smart/hard? If so, what did you do...

Besides crypto, are there any millionaires on this board that made it trough working smart/hard? If so, what did you do, how much did you start with?

I'm 22 years old, any advice you can give me?

Second question for programmers:

I'm currently self studying HTML. After exploring many different subjects I came to the conclusion that programming is probably the best option for me. History/philosophy is fun but more as a hobby, HTML isn't much but I hope to just start with the basics.

I want to go from HTML, to Ruby, to Java to Python. And hopefully land a job somewhere.
Or should I start different?

get your foot in the door at a large corporation and develop your Excel skills

Shouldn't I first develop excel skills and then approach large corps? Not even really sure how to approach a large corp without a degree in these days.

I don't have a college degree or anything, just a highschool diploma so far.

your way in to a large company is to be going to career fairs sponsored by various local colleges, at least in my experience. you should go to school for the paper -- it sucks, but it's a requirement most places unless you have a shitload of experience.

HTML is not even turing-complete, so you'll still haven't even scratched the surface of the programming iceberg

most languages are fine for beginners. I personally would recommend to go with python . Then you can climb up with and learn more concepts and paradigms like OO with java

ruby is really cool if you want to start building WEB stuff

more important than anything else:
don't drink too much
don't get married until after age 35

if you're smart then you'll find success in just about any field and be happy. booze and women are man-traps.

Yeah I get it, they want you in debt so you're forced to stick around

u guys got any idea how to make money with the programming skills? what does the market need and how to approach the market?

1. HTML is not a programming language. It is a markup language. Big difference, and you don't just go from one to another.
2. Learn the basics of algebra, algorithms, big O, proof of logic, state machines (in that order)
3. If you start now, you can become a decent junior programmer in 6-12 months. Avoid code camps at all cost.

I quit all drugs few years back (I consider alcohol a drug, it is a drug) and I won't get married or have kids since I actually want to have fun in my life.

>1. HTML is not a programming language. It is a markup language. Big difference, and you don't just go from one to another.
>2. Learn the basics of algebra, algorithms, big O, proof of logic, state machines (in that order)
>3. If you start now, you can become a decent junior programmer in 6-12 months. Avoid code camps at all cost.

Alright thanks for the advice. Also what language should I start with? I see another user suggests to jump straight into Python

You need to be full stack now
Learn react and fuck off and come back when you done it try udemy

Skip HTML. Business graduate and read up on CSS/JavaScript before building a site last summer. If people like me who have no intention of programming can do this, then it's a waste of time.

Python is what google uses when they don't shill their own languages (like Go), so you could learn that. It's fairly simple.

Most universities start with C (procedural, low level) and continue to Java (OOP).

It depends on what you want to do. There are lots of jobs in Java, Python, JavaScript, PHP, C#.NET.

then you'll be fine. i wish you all the best.

sounds like you don't understand how the world works friend. good luck

Forget HTML and learn Java now

I don't know if it's global but there's a lot of demand for backend development where I live, they want you to know a lot of languages though.

Besides that, places like the USA are fucking dying for good craftsmen, welders in particular.

Full stack with react? How does that work out for you? :)

CSS without HTML? Did you style XML? And what did you use JS for if not a DOM of HTML?

> what language should I start with?

Depends on what you're interested in. If you want to make websites pretty, learn HTML/Javascript/CSS. If you want to make webapps or infrastructure, learn Ruby/Python. If you want to make generic corporate programs, go with Java/C++/C#.

Broadly speaking, Python is great for learning the fundamentals and Java/C++/C# are great for learning deeper theory.

fine when i'm contracting
look at the job boards and stop with the smilies you useless cunt

You do know what "full stack" means, right? Sounds like you're just reiterating buzzwords you saw on Veeky Forums.

Also :)

I started with HTML, learned CSS,JavaScript/JQuery because the site would look like shit without them.

Forget what everyone else has said and start off learning assembly. Then progress to C. Learning a high level language first will make low level languages harder to learn later. It will be a tough initial learning curb but it will make you a much more rounded programmer later.

Learn people skills in order to work your way into management. You'll make more telling people to program than programming yourself.

How do I make the leap? I actually hate programming.

Forget what everyone else has said and start off learning machine code. Then progress to assembly. Learning a high level language first will make low level languages harder to learn later. It will be a tough initial learning curb but it will make you a much more rounded programmer later.

any jewish relatives?

I get what you're saying, I'm just not a people's person. I'm far more effective zoning out into my own space and just do my thing. Don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-social its just that it isn't my cup of tea.

The worst developers are the ones who thinking that learning how to "code" is enough. You need well developed critical thinking skills which can be obtained through courses like mathematics, physics (not CS).

Forget what everyone else has said and start off learning computer engineering. Then progress to machine code. Learning a high level language first will make low level languages harder to learn later. It will be a tough initial learning curb but it will make you a much more rounded programmer later.

1. kill yourself
2. web dev? solid choice. you will only have a billion pajeets aside from every teenager in the planet as competition

He clearly wouldn't have time. Geez

3. xxx ? its amazing.

what is 3.?

Forget what everyone else has said and start off learning electrical engineering. Then progress to computer engineering. Learning a high level language first will make low level languages harder to learn later. It will be a tough initial learning curb but it will make you a much more rounded programmer later.

Forget what everyone else has said and start off learning quantum mechanics. Then progress to astrophysics. Learning a high level language first will make low level languages harder to learn later. It will be a tough initial learning curb but it will make you a much more rounded programmer later.