/frugal/ frugal living general

/flg/ pilot episode edition

I have an idea for a new general that would be right at home here
discuss frugal lifestyles and penny-pinching ITT. This isn't limited to money, if you know how to save time, talk about it here too

how to maximize the efficiency of daily tasks
how to make your dollar go farther
cheaper alternatives to costlier methods and products, you name it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5jBbfYG90
mygrocerydeals.com/
youtu.be/bjf5UKgtqYQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well why don't you start user?

that's the problem
I don't know how

For example, right now I'm battling with myself over getting a miniature gas grill to cook cheap chicken breasts on

on one hand, I could cook and then freeze many chicken breasts at once for cheaper meals and faster prep
but I could also buy a few stock shares for the price of the grill ($60)

I guess this belongs here...

Went to the store today and found ground beef at a significant discount... then the lady ringing me up offered to use a coupon to increase the discount... ended up $1 per pound, it was a steal. 6.50 for 6.5 lbs. insane.

I'm thinking of starting clipping coupons, I didn't know the savings could be that ridiculous.

Anyone have exp with coupon clipping?

Why gas? Wouldn't an electric counter-top stove be cheaper to run?

I also dabble in meal prep, but I have fallen off the wagon for a while... need to get back into it.

Make sure you eat it tonight and cook it thoroughly. Ground beef is like botulism in a package.

I go to target on monday mornings and they have organic ground beef, 1 lb, usually 4 bucks off because its expiring that day. So it comes to 1.99 a package. i buy that and chicken breast which is also 1.99 a package with the discount and i freeze them. Get enough for a few weeks and its really cheap.

I don't do it as often as I really should. I do try and only buy products I need when they're on sale.
Perhaps I should try to get them only when there's coupons?
maybe the coupons would be cheaper than the sales price, or maybe the other way around

people I know who clip coupons definitely get good deals though, it's very worth it
some stores like Publix actually have e-coupons, you browse an online catalog of coupons, click the ones you want, and then you put in your phone number at the checkout keypad to bring them up. It works pretty well from what I've heard.

Larger surface area, really. But then it'd come down to how efficiently the heating method cooks. From what I'm reading, gas is actually significantly cheaper than electricity, so it seems like it'd work out.

Use your oven for meal prep. You can easily make large batches for the week.

I was considering the oven, but it also makes food taste bland as fuck. I also have an electric oven so it's a lot less efficient than a gas one.

Also, Veeky Forums often has some good threads about cheap healthy meal prep, it's worth looking at.

If you want to read, buy a kindle and pirate the books. Once you've read about 10 it's paid for itself (average paperback is 1/10th the price of a kindle).

Honestly one of the better purchases I've ever made.

where does target sell ground beef? Is this a super target?

idk what country you're from, but I've never had a problem with ground beef keeping here n the US of A.

I'll probably freeze some of it tomorrow, and GB always gets cooked thoroughly obviously.

Thanks for looking out though, not trying to shit on you.
>or myself if you catch my drift

Learn to season user. My chicken tastes amazing in the oven.
>Salt + pepper + garlic powder + paprika + oregano + jalapeno peppers

google fi for phone service, cut your own hair, grow your own weed, vacuum sealer for loading on good deals and freezing them

>maybe the coupons would be cheaper than the sales price, or maybe the other way around
I honestly never tried it before, I know people do it and make good savings and all, but I had no idea that the coupon compounds with the off the shelf discount... at least it did for me to day and I have to say, I was flabbergasted

I'm probably just traumatized from my mom's cooking. Straight, unseasoned chicken breast in a pyrex dish at 350 for 20 minutes. That's Dinner.

Library.

>if you know how to save time, talk about it here too

Honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made was to take control of my information consumption. I've limited my unstructured internet time ie imageboards, forums, reddit etc, to half an hour a day. You end up getting into the trap where you think you're becoming informed but really you're just filling your mind with junk. That being said, the stickies in these places are often great sources of dat der knawledge, and once you've gotten the basics down with a little experience, if you ever need more you're in a good position to do independent research (unless you're in a high quality forum, I'd avoid counting this as research), or experiment. Read books, and primary sources, read white papers, watch the charts, don't listen to NEETs on a korean onion peeling site who pretend they have.

I bought a Kobo two years ago and it's amazing. Plus having any book I want at the tip of my fingers is making me read more.

That is how I cook. I just throw a chicken breast on the grill for 20 min

well cooking a plain chicken breast on the grill is different than letting it stew in the oven, that's why I'm considering the grill in the first place
but
>$60

Rice cooker is the best investment you can make when it comes to cooking for cheap. A bag of rice is 8 bucks. Rice cooker is 30, you could find it for cheaper. Now, you have dinner for 2 months. Add veggies if you want. Add bacon if you want. Add potatoes if you want. Add an egg half way through it's cooking process if you want. Season it when it comes out. FUCK YES WHY DIDN'T THOSE NIGGERS ON Veeky Forums TELL ME ABOUT THIS THOSE CUNTS BUY A FUCKING RICE COOKER AND RICE TODAY

Frito Lay chips go out of date every other Tuesday, IF you find a frito lay guy, especially one that does small acounts, on the monday or tuesday when chips are going out of date, he'll give you a ton of shit. I can give you some buzzwords to drop in if you want, but you just want to strike up a convo with him and eh'll probably offer them to you if you want.

that's the other thing I've been considering buying. I would eat a lot more home-cooked meals (aka chicken and rice) if I used a rice cooker. Or at least, I tell myself that.
When I'm actually sticking to my diet it's usually chicken and rice, but I
>1. hate cooking chicken in my cast iron skillet because it fucks it up and takes years to clean
>2. can't bulk cook chicken in a manner that tastes good
>3. can't cook rice well
I can solve the chicken thing with the grill, and I could definitely make a lot of rice with the rice cooker

make a bonfire once a week and grill your stupid chicken, wood it's literally free

bruh I know how you feel, and I'm going to continue shilling the rice cooker. It takes like 2 minutes to clean, I've never had to scrape and scrub shit. Just wipe it out, soap it, rinse it, set it in the drying rack. Too easy. Haven't tried chicken in there but it cooks bacon so I can only assume it'd work. Obviously check it before you eat it but I bet you could just toss chicken in there w/ your rice and call it good.

make chili and freeze
just read the titles
THIS rice and 500 grms of frozen veggies, easiest meals last a week on fridge, add tuna, chicken or even eggs
make rice soup, then it's freaking easy to clean will also keeps you hydrated

guys, are we even trying?

Help me biz. I want to get fit but I also don't want to pay for equipment or a gym. Is there any legitimate way to get fit from doing bodyweight

i eat off a cardboard box

i live in a 4 story mansion

look up Convict Conditioning

You don't have to follow his program but it's worth a read. Even a total idiot can get results with diligent use of calisthenics

you could do water jugs for weights. It doesn't scale well but it's a start

if lank GOMAD
if fat keto+running and military trainment

dont bother getting a small thing. use an ovven or a pair of large pots and cook for your entire week. put in containers, then heat up as you go. making meals one at a time is a big waste of resources.

>bland
yeahnah. be creative. use the grill on the top section to finish things off and char them and shit. the oven makes the best flavour out of any other method apart from using fire.

what you have to do is to have as much fat on the meat as possible. because oil gets so hot, as it drips down using gravity through the meat, it cooks it at a very high temperature. use the grill to finish off, just blacken everything a little. roasting fatty meat is spectacular

THIS. eat mashed potato too. make it with lots of milk and butter and season it nicely with pepper and youre laughing. rise is the best for saving money

literally what i just ate

ill give you a really simple method:

grill section in roof of oven, heat that up.

get a plastic bag of your choice, big but not huge. add spices of your choice to the bag (the best is something like chilli, garam masala, garlic powder etc, just something good and strong)

place chicken into plastic bag with spices, fill bag with air and shake

now just place those directly onto your oven rack (use a piece of alunimium foil to catch drops or us an oven tray

grill with oven door slightly ajar - you want the grill element only like 3 inches from the chicken

thank me later. youve got to get your grill on annon, that method is simple and clean and you just throw the plastic bag away when you finish.

while that is cooking, make either rice or vegetables or something in the microwave then use that dish to minimize washing.

super simple and tastes the best.

#NEETlife

>putting a plastic bag in an oven
>putting a plastic bag 3 inches beneath a broiler heating element
what did he mean by this

>add tuna
If you're health conscious, deens are pretty cheap and they're a much smaller fish so much less mercury content. food for thought

I advocate MGTOW lifestyle.
lets face it: your gf will suck money out of you like a jew. Why worry about 150$ spending on food when 1 date with your gf costs just as much.

How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time

Ingredients:
1 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, of similar size
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil, unsalted butter, or combination of both
Equipment

Heavy Mason jar or wide drinking glass
Wide (10-inch) sauté pan with lid
Tongs or spatula
Instructions

Flatten the chicken breasts: Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness with the bottom of a wide jar or glass. You can also (carefully!) use the handle of a heavy chef's knife.
Season the chicken breasts: Lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts.
Prepare the pan: Heat the sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it is quite hot, add the olive oil (or butter, if using). Swirl the pan so it is lightly covered with the olive oil.
Cook the chicken breasts for 1 minute without moving: Turn the heat to medium. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for just about 1 minute to help them get a little golden on one side (you are not actually searing or browning them).
Flip the chicken breasts: Then flip each chicken breast over.
Turn the heat down to low: Turn the heat to low.
Cover the pan and cook on low for 10 minutes. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and walk away. Do not lift the lid; do not peek.
Turn off the heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes: After 10 minutes have elapsed, turn off the heat. (If you have an electric stove, remove the pan from the heat.) Reset the timer for 10 minutes and leave the chicken breasts in the pan. Again, do not lift the lid; do not peek.
Remove lid and take temperature: After the 10 minutes are up, take the lid off, and your chicken is done. Make sure there is no pink in the middle of the chicken breasts. If you want to be absolutely sure it is cooked, you can use an instant-read thermometer to check (the chicken should be at least 165°F). Slice and eat. Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator.

Recipe Notes

Dredge in seasoned flour: You can also dredge the chicken breasts in flour before cooking. Season the flour with spices or fresh herbs and make sure the chicken is golden on one side before you flip it over. This will give your chicken a very subtle crust.
Quick brine: You can make your boneless skinless chicken breasts even juicier and more flavorful with a super-quick brine. Even just 15 minutes in a simple brine will make them juicier.

Veeky Forums had some good frugal threads before all the crypto shit came and shat up the place

heres some examples. Even though i think this guy is a fag he had some ok videos

youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5jBbfYG90

Why are you squeezing cents on cooking fucking chicken breast?

Living frugally in the West means not eating duck breast and caviar every day or drink 120$ bottle of scotch. LMAO at your chicked recipe to save 2 cents.

Nigger, it's just a method to get good results from cooking chicken breast, calm the fuck down.

I use water and my hand to clean my butt after taking a shit. It saves money on toilet paper and results in a cleaner asshole than dry wiping with only paper.

Being poor and knowing frgual I can help friend.

Never pay for condiments, you can get packets at gas stations and stores get them every time and stock them up even coffee creamer if ya like.

Turkey goes on sell and can be bought for 68 cents a pound you can cook the turkey harvest most all of the meat then make a stew and broth out of the rest this will last lots of meals.

Noodles are cheap and good for you and filling 1 dollar for a lot of noodles, use said turkey broth for this.

dried beans are cheap and you can make a nice little fire and cook them in a pot in bulkwith just firewood. Mix this with turkey chunks and or rice or both.

Rice is cheap and especially in bulk just like beans.

Toilet paper from walmart. You go in and roll a bunch up on your hand and take it home dont do this too mom and pop shops just big chains same with the condiments.

Pantries that give away food from food banks are all over, they give a box or shopping cart of food one too two times a month sometimes more use them lots of good food.

Grow a garden!

Potatoes are cheap, they are healthy and can be used in many meals.

Look for samples in big chains for snacks.

Learn to make stews as they can be made easy over campfires in a pot.

If you can use a wood stove and cook on it, it provides heat and cooking area and wood is usually easy to get for free.

Their is ground turkey at walmart for 1.50 a pound everyday it is good for you and comes in 4 different styles, taco, breakfast sauage, italian sausage, and plain.

Learn to fish, fishing is enjoyable the license cost cheap and you can get many meals out of fishing and relaxing enjoyable hobby style. If private ponds no need for license in most places.

no you just use the bag to apply the spices. kek should probably make that clear but then again if you eat plastic you probably deserve to be poisoned in the first place. using the bag makes it a million times easier and saves fucking around with chicken slime and using dishes

haha good me me see you on reddit put me in the caps we did it Veeky Forums!

I work in a grocery store, I skip two meals a day by eating multiple samples from the sample people. They love me so they don't give a shit

>board that LARPS as millionaires that turned their 100 dollar investments into 100,000 in a month
>all eat ramen noodles and cheap chicken breasts
really gets the noggin joggin

. hate cooking chicken in my cast iron skillet because it fucks it up and takes years to clean
Deglaze with stock and make a pansauce with your chicken
Alternatively buy a dutch oven and make curry.

To save gas if in a city take a bike with a basket use it to go around.

Aluminum cans, they go for around 50-55 cents a pound and are littered everywhere. Pick them up and you can make a couple bucks a day or more if you tell people you will take their cans as some throw bags of them in the garbage one bag that weighs 10 pounds is 5 bucks.

Outdoor wise trapping is quick and easier than hutning for most unless you know what you are doing. Squirrel can make a great meal and so can rabbit, hunting license are cheap in most states and you can use an air rifle that has cheap ammo.

many more but got to check out a second.

That island looks comfy as fuck.

Shit in the shower and stomp it down the drain to save on your toilet paper bill

Never tip. If someone is working a shit job they're probably a shit person and don't deserve your money.

i think what hes getting it is that in order to not feel like youre missing out when you cook at home, its important to make quality meals. if you dont do that, youll be tempted to just order from a restaurant after a while. food expenses are a big one

btw learn how to make soups, put seasons vegetables in it and put in freezer for the whole week.

hehe Yep exactly!

also make sure to show up to free dinners at churches if hurting for food, never done that but knew people who did.

Show up to social events that have snacks etc.

Eggs can be bought cheap a lot of the time one sale get a bunch and then cook the meals and freeze them.

Coupons and sales at grocery stores is a big deal of frguel and saving money.

Dont use tap water for drinking, get a few jugs, go to town and ask gas stations if ya can feel them up, one bottle per place usually is fine.

Fruit trees, many grow but no one uses them, mulberries is especially abundent and good eating so checkem out and harvet gallons of them.

>shit in street to save on water bill

Pajeet

I saved it for that reason hehe! It would be very comfy have a nice little garden some animals a fishing boat and enjoy life!

the old pootato masher

I was a bit of a dick.
But I have noticed ITT that "frugally" means very different things based on country/economic status.

Protip: buy a steamer to steam vegies/fish/chicken. Its the most healthy way and the taste is much better.

I wonder if living in containers can be comfy, I heard they get as hot as hell in summer.

>Dont use tap water for drinking
price of tap water = 1$ per 250 gallons/ 1000 liters
=0.001$ per liter

You seriously suggest we bring a can to steal water? Where the fuck do you live? South Africa?

This is a WESTERN world Frugal thread! Nobody cares about your nigger countries where you have to steal fucking WATER!

If you reinforce it and cover it in dirt it isnt bad I hear.

However you can also build shade over it perhaps with pretty easy rigging.

Oh i dont do that but some counties or small towns have very bad water laws.

I didnt do all these just knew people who did. lol

Most people live in the city man, and even if you dont the nr1 advice to those people would be go to the city because thats where the money is.

get a distiller

use mygrocerydeals.com/ to find shit on sale, anons.

If you're a NEET and don't get physical often shower every other day
Shampoo hair twice a week
Conditioner is a scam
If you shit before showering don't bother with TP beforehand
Intermittent fasting and brush teeth once per day
Flip breaker switches to lights/ areas of the home that are rarely used
Put a brick in the back of your toilet tank

>Put a brick in the back of your toilet tank
why

each flush will take less water

Displaces the water so it needs less to fill up for a flush

Unironically get a bidet. Doesn't have to be a fancy one that dries and powders your ass, just a simple cheap $20 unit you can plumb into the toilet's water hose. The cold water is not uncomfortable, it basically starts out at room temperature from sitting in the line. Wipe dry with a washrag that you put through the wash every so often.

This will serve two purposes: One, you'll suddenly realize that you live in a third-world country where people spend all day with remains of their last shit still on their ass.
And two, your toilet paper expenses disappear.

Any of you guys /bulk/ right now? I need some ideas for relatively cheap protein sources/ calorie dense food.

Cook it in the oven, put aluminum foil on the bake sheet or deglaze the pan as user suggested.
>cut whole chicken in half, length wise
>season to your preference (try out a jar of jamacican jerk spice if you like spicy food)
>put on foil covered pan, skin side up
>bake until the skin is browned and you can twist a leg or wing off

This takes like 30 minutes start to finish.

I'll teach you how to make perfect rice w/o a rice cooker, user.
>submerge rice with ~1 cm of water
>bring to boil
>immediately reduce heat to minimum, cover
>wait 15 minutes
>DO NOT REMOVE LID, DO NOT STIR

lets see:

>burn fuel to heat steam (efficiency loss)
>run steam through turbine to generate electricity(efficiency loss)
>convert electricity to high voltage to minimize transmission losses (efficiency loss)
>still lose power sending it over long distances
>convert electricity to a reasonably safe voltage (efficiency loss)
>run electricity through 1kg of metal until it gets hot enough to heat through a pan (heat loss)
>heat up the pan
>cook your food

versus

>burn gas to heat up your pan (efficiency loss)
>cook your food

No transfer of energy is 100% efficient (some are as low as 15%). Every step compounds efficiency losses.

How to get cheap/free gas?

>Toilet paper from walmart. You go in and roll a bunch up on your hand and take it home

scavenge wood from the nearest forrist. It might not be as efficient as the Petrol Goy but it's fine for cooking, boiling and even melting aluminum cans and copper with a meme forge

Time saving healthy meal:

Get rice cooker.
Cook rice soup with finely ground/chopped beef/chicken/pork, lettuce, etc.
Put in large container, store in refrigerator, and reheat using microwave to eat when needed. Around five to six servings depending on the size of your rice cooker.
Minimal need for chewing. You can just gulp down if you're in a hurry.

>washrag
>inside the wash machine

enjoy being covered on poo feces

Depends on location. Gas is more expensive in my area compared to electricity.

Get a $30 toaster oven. They have a bake setting that can cook anything that'll fit in it. They're highly efficient, it's basically an easy bake oven on steroids.

Also don't cook the entire breast. Cut it up into smaller pieces. Always kebab your meat, it cooks quicker, more efficiently, and the meat is safer to eat because it's been cooked more evenly.

I buy unbranded baking soda, flour, salt, rice and honey by the bulk to some local producers. I also grow beans, pumpkin and weed in my backyard because they can grow almost in any weather and have very long shelf time and short growing times. I can grow pumpkin and hemp yearlong, it can go with any meal be it salty or sweet, meat or veggie bowl. I plan on raising chicken or bunnies for my meat supply this year so I can cut even more on my food expenses

>Ground beef

You're fucking gross. That shit can be 49% soy chunks and still be called beef. There's also nitrates and other shit in it for preservatives. Only buy meat that looks like the part of the animal it claims to be from. Ground beef is the beef they scrape up off the ground after chopping the good parts up.

>The Jooooc aint worth the squezze

>I was considering the oven

that's an ammusing statement

this is very underrated. I got up on my Keto game thanks to Veeky Forums, just got to ignore the soygoys LARPing on their (((vegan))) gainzz

Chicken, qinuoa or brown, frozen veggies. Salt pepper. Use different spices for different days. Mrs. Dash, slap ya mama, hot sauces.

Rotate the veggies and the spices cheep food for months at a time.

A grill? If you are that poor, build a mud dome oven and make your own charcol from branches. Otherwise use the oven.

This is FUN tier FUD. You are an idiot.

This is the kind of rant that causes people to stop listening to your paranoid delusional ravings. You are basically broadcasting that you are full of shit and cannot be reasoned with.

this youtu.be/bjf5UKgtqYQ
it's all about not being a lazy cuck, user ;^)

also tuna most times is mixed with Soy flour and spooky gay frog enabling shit like tried to elaborate in his autistic ground beef rant

It would save you $7.30 a year. If you'd invested that on crypto back in 2011 you'd be rich now xdxd

* get an instant pot pressure cooker
* get a good crock pot
* learn how to make beans and legumes
* learn how to make simple slow cook, one pot meals
* get some basic spice mixes - ras el hanout, italian seasoning, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, kosher salt, ground pepper, 5 spice, curry powder, ground ginger, cinnamon

you can make endless easy meals, cheap

throw in avocados on sale and make endless avocado toasts - get Sachimi Togarashi grinder, amazing all around topping spice mix, and you're done with some good hot sauces.

get nitrate free, hormone free bison, chicken, turkey, whatever you like. tofu is great as well.

you can eat well cheap and save health care bills to boot by not eating shit.