Why are you not doing internships in the tech sector, Veeky Forums? Don't tell me you can't program

Why are you not doing internships in the tech sector, Veeky Forums? Don't tell me you can't program

I don’t know how to code. Also, aren’t those internships with large companies super competitive?

But i did an internship already and I can program. Now what?

>internship

I am already a lead developer, you moron

I trade crypto for a living

Yeah I'm a CS major tired of fucking doing IT jobs/internships. Post that link now OP. Just applied to a robotics internship at the local nuclear lab, but would MUCH rather pull in 6 figures as a fucking intern at MS doing what I actually want to be doing deep down.

I did user and now I've ascended above the puny babby intern form

I can program. Just can't ever get past resume screening. I keep applying to the Big 4 but they never want me. I have a strong portfolio IMO but I feel I have given up. Fuck having to code substantial projects on my free time as proof of my (((passion))). And fuck practicing for whiteboard interviews.

Google for the link, it's somewhere, but it's much better if you're familiarized with some project of theirs beforehand.

pls no bully ;_;

>$109k
>in redmond, wa
>high income

You gotta be kidding, I barely spent half of my intern salary last time.

then I wait, thanks for the heads up before I filled a ton of shit out.

Too bad you're probably a shitskin who got the job as a diversity quota hire

lad, i live in redondo beach and bank about $120k without commissions. takes some taxes away and i fall right into middle class.

6 figure isn't shit unless you are making $150-200k/year

Interesting. Did you see that they pay for housing and services too? That makes a big difference I think, because I really had more money that I could care to spend. I bought a ton of shit and again, only spent about half.

>filing single
wait till you've got mouths to feed. the only consolation is filing married joint. that or you make 6 figures living in texas, then you'll really make bank.

he got the job because he'll do the work for 12 cents and a half eaten curry

who here /amazon/

feels good man

>wait till you've got mouths to feed
Implying I'm going to let myself get cucked by the state and some cheating whore who should go kill herself

>wanting to go into a burn and churn organization
i've had many friendos go through the SCM team. shit sucks m8.

I interned at ATT last summer and made my annual was 50 grand.

I just got hired and my starting annual is 100 grand.

I live in a low cost city.

stay jelly asshats

I heard they're kinda tough on employees, and people burn out quick. Any truth to that?

you gotta do it lad. it's a rite of passage for a man. don't fall for jew memes.

nothing sadder than coming to an empty home in the same way whores find themselves after age 35 after partying like an animal for the last 15 years.

You think I'm going to let some fucking retard who makes 1/10 of what I make and who has no real skills or redeeming qualities control my life, just because she has a sperm incubation chamber behind her asshole? Give me a break user, when I die I die and my bloodline means nothing.

>tfw brainlet so cant program
>tfw ill never make 6 figs in a low COL city
good on you mate. back to wageniggering for me

I've heard the same thing. Amazon is essentially the most "corporate" of the big tech companies.

Unfortunately, I'm only doing an internship, so I'll start this summer, don't have any experience working there yet.

Good luck bro! If they're tough, then fuck them. Get your money and get out.

I can't code very well. I'm out of school anyway and have an engineering job, albeit a dead-end boring one. If you miss the on-ramp of elite college -> elite company you're basically screwed anyway, and I'll have been working my first job for a year or so. Too late to turn it around, life's already over if not for crypto.

Hopefully I can make a few million in crypto I'll just retire, already have 200k.

>CS major
>got an internship sophomore year
>work there full-time(besides finals/midterms) through college as a java developer
>graduate, get promoted and a big raise as software engineer
>6 months later, management

Software is a great industry, but get out of the codemonkey work as fast as you can, otherwise you'll hate yourself

Nobody respects coders, if you are a programmer you're literally just a resource for us to do with you what we will.

I talked to someone from Chevron. They want 3 prior internships to hire me.

are you a white, non jewish male?

too bad you're not diverse enough buddy

elite school is useful but not the only avenue to an elite company. an impressive resume is more useful after 1+ years out of college

a big name college will get you an interview almost anywhere RIGHT AFTER COLLEGE, but a year or two of impressive work experience will do the same thing

How do I jump to management fast?

>If you miss the on-ramp of elite college -> elite company you're basically screwed anyway,

People without degrees in CS work at all major tech companies.

Yeah definitely a shitskin. You'll fit right in with the rest of the minorities in tech, enjoy!

>Also, aren’t those internships with large companies super competitive?
Yes, good luck getting one if you aren't
>A) god tier programmer with work to show for it
>B) at a god tier college
or
>C) Asian

I won't have an impressive resume though, my job is just doing paperwork. I get like 70k a year but meh. Nothing impressive there. It's not like I can learn to code and change jobs, no company would be interested vs. a CS major from MIT or Berkeley.

Yeah, but it's too late to learn and work at a good company. No way to demonstrate ability (coding bootcamps are a meme) and I don't work at a prestigious company in the first place. No one would want to hire me.

fuck off shit

>when I die I die and my bloodline means nothing.
that's really sad. hope you'll think otherwise. takes time.

and you've gotta spend some time diggin. can't just put penis in the pooper on the first one you get

Advance within your company, if you see an opening, go for it

But that strategy only works if you're competent and appear as if you are on top of everything.

Going from heads-down engineering to management is hard. Having a customer-facing role is a necessity.

If you have 5+ years work experience, it's POSSIBLE you could apply for management at a good company, but unlikely unless you're age 30+

I'll be your reference buddy

Holy shit why have I not thought of just simply working at Microsoft or Google? Genius!

What about going the startup route? I'm working on building a small medtech company with my friend, and it's possible it might not work out. Would it be possible to move into management from that do you think?

Too late, I'm a mud engineer now (not Chevron) :^)

why would anyone with half a working brain still consider doing it?

you have to be a complete moron to kiss ass and work like a fucking slave for a fistful of shekels... fuck you ms google and the rest

start your own business and make your own paycheck, period.

that's my current path. in industry 5 years now and started from:

account executive
sales executive
business development manager

now going for sales mgr/director in about 2-3 year's time. it also is better to hop with more experience to a smaller company. pay gets much higher than going through a large corp grind.

If you want to go from cubemonkey paperpusher to software developer, do the following:

>learn to code in a model-view-controller framework
>get good at web development
>become familiar with back-end development(that is the controller part)
>build a few projects on your own
>start bidding on a few small projects on sites such as Upwork, where you can actually get paid half-decent if you know what you're doing
>once you're good, you can start applying for entry-level web dev positions at real companies

You will now have a very reasonable portfolio to show off to recruiters and interviewers. FILL your resume with relevant tech qualifications and experience, and push your paper-pushing experience to the bottom.

Trust me you'll get interviews, and they won't care so much about what you've done full-time if you know what you're talking about during the tech screens.

Be warned, you'll be comparing against a LOT of Pajeets on Upwork, but it's the best way to get contracts.

>First roommate out of undergrad was a CS major who just dicked around in school and smoked pot
>Got a job at IBM making $65,000 right out of school (live in the midwest, this is great post-grad salary here)
>Mad jelly since I majored in psychology and was working part time at $11.25 an hour in a research lab (eventually made full-time at $14.75 but was still a poorfag)
>He bought a brand new Mazda first month
>Never went into work before noon
>Stayed out partying until the wee hours every night
>Never went into work Mondays or Fridays
>Meanwhile I was busting my ass for chump change
>When it comes time to move out he tells me that everyone in the company is usually promoted in the first year, but he was still doing bitch work
>Find out later he was fired and now works as a coffee barista

The CS meme is real and he fucked it up. Despite having no drive or motivation he cashed the golden check and bounced it. Learn from him.

Regarding the industry. Is a CS degree really necessary or just being able to code will suffice?

No fucking way I'm going to college again!!!

If you make it seem on your resume that your management experience lines up with what they think they need, I guess it can. If you successfully managed your own startup to a cashflow-positive point, then yes, you'll be fine.

I don't really even want to code though. I just hate being bored constantly. I had planned to work for a year before going back to grad school, but I'm too incompetent to get a top score on my field's subject GRE, it seems. Graduate school is, of course, another place where you are screwed if you do not attend an elite institution.

Everyone thinks I'm retarded because autistic but my programming skills are decent. I just don't buddy up to people at the office or go out for drinks with them and they don't like me for that.

>. I just don't buddy up to people at the office or go out for drinks with them and they don't like me for that.
you need to lad. 50% of moving up is networking and first being someone's bitch then getting them to like you. it's part of the formula.

>literally never shows up to work
>gets fired
and you're happy about making basically minimum wage why?

...? I work at one of those companies and I have a great work life balance and big paychecks retard kys?

I'm not. I'm in school to make much more money. It was a temporary job between undergrad and grad school so I could take some pre-requisites. Made some good connections from it, too. So the pay was shit but it will be worth it.

Yeah it's obvious why he was fired, but at the time I just thought his job was crazy flexible. Turns out he was just a moron.

I don't hire interns

Microsoft was shit when I worked there, getting anything meaningful done requires sending a request up your side of the hierarchy and waiting for it to trickle down to whoever needed to give you permission.

Well, hopefully it'll end up being cash positive. It's extremely speculative at the moment.

Might just keep burning through investor money on more and more zany ideas.

I was homeschooled until the 8th grade by a parent who didn't know math for shit and imparted in me a deep rooted anxiety towards math, since I was pretty much brilliant in other subjects and never had to try, I basically tanked math, despite taking honors courses, I just couldn't get over the extreme anxiety and basically always thought I was awful at it with no hope.

I am 27 now, have an associates and dropped out in Junior year because I just didn't care. Had scholarships, grants and above average grades. I have considered trying to CLEP out of algebra/precalc and then slowly knocking out math courses, but why the fuck would I do this to myself? So I can compete with 22 year old CS grads for entry level codemonkey work? I'd almost rather be a poorfag for life at this point if my investments don't pan out.

P.S. if you are under 20 and reading this take the fucking hint. It doesn't get easier and the debt is probably worth it if your degree has any value/demand and you think you can manage it. Otherwise you will end up FUD'ing yourself year on year, thinking it is too late, until it actually IS too fucking late.

Lmao that's higher than the Msft new hire base salary

Damn I should join MSR

Lol what the fuck are you talking about? What type of shit requires this? Just make a pull request...?

>IBM
>start at Noon
Unlikely that he was anything above bottom-tier part time consultant

Right, if you want to get into any management, it's almost necessary to get your first taste of it by being promoted from within.

Coming into a new company as a manager is rare, unless you have years of prior management experience.

But like I said before, being a career codemonkey is MISERY, ask anyone

>Regarding the industry. Is a CS degree really necessary or just being able to code will suffice?

"Just" being able to code will not suffice. Nobody is going to even interview you if you don't have any proven track record or experience. It's possible that you will be able to get interviews purely through lying on your resume though.

But, you won't be able to lie your way past the on-site tech interview. At some point you'll have to go in front of a Principal-level engineer and get grilled on your technical experience, ability and knowledge. And writing clever functions is about 0.1% of what they care about.

>I just hate being bored constantly.
Nobody is stopping you from applying to "cooler" jobs, user. Stop being lazy and start applying, it's so fucking easy to get interviews if you have even a little real experience on your resume. And if you don't, just lie(but don't lie beyond your means to prove yourself).

I've been applying to Microsoft for the past month but didn't hear any response, would you recommend I keep trying Microsoft or drop them altogether?

Hoho working at Msft is sacrificing any hope of avoiding bureaucracy for management that isn't totally run by loony libs

this is actually a good thing

bureacracy is great when you personally aren't relied on to produce

I think every huge monolithic corporation is like that. I hear that from friends at Google and Microsoft too. Oracle seems so bad I wouldn't even consider working there.

He isn't talking about pulling code, moron

Can't hurt right? Idk about the other divisions but Gaming is expanding hardcore rn and I have to imagine Azure is on an even higher level

Drop it user, unless you are applying to different office locations, applications all go to the same place and they've already seen your resume.

>Microsoft was shit when I worked there

I loved it in the 90s.

Yeah, I've been applying to the Redmond location. You work there? How are things at MSFT?

Do you realistically need a degree to land a programming job? Not even 6 figures, like one for a shitty startup making 50K a year or so.
I've been studying using codeaccdemy pro for the past few months, dedicating about 10 hours a week on it, and willing to commit learning code fro another year before I'll start looking for a job though. What are my options Veeky Forums?

I was there in 2007 working on Windows security, fuzz testing, hopefully things are different now. Bailed after a few months.

I was in within a few weeks, look elsewhere.

I don't work as MSFT, I just know how companies work. At a company as large as MSFT, your resume goes straight to the HR department.

If you're a white guy, there's a 50/50 chance that it just gets printed straight into the shredder too.

>internship requires past internship experience
really fires the neurons

Any advice or tips? Dunno what's wrong with my resume.

It's Microsoft Research, basically academic

Ive sent out twenty applications in the last two weeks and have got zero replies Im about ready to kill myself.

but at least you got dubs

Im 28, been learning Rails. Kinda hitting a road block with react. Its just too much to juggle in my mind. I guess I dont think symbolically. I struggle to see how people enjoy this.

because I'm
>White
>male
>fucked around early in college, would take years to increase cumlative GPA to the point where they would hire me
>already make $50-$100 an hour day trading shit coins and junk bonds

I'm a senior dev but no bay area salary.

>only twenty
filename

But the good news is that once you apply to hundreds of postings, your resume will be in so many databases that 3-4 per week will call you for the next 5 years, so you don't even really have to apply for jobs any more.

fuck im tired
*3-4 RECRUITERS will call you per week

>tears about while males and diversity quotas
but Veeky Forums I am a white male

Is that you Abraham?

Yeah, it seems the most effective way to apply to a job is through referrals. Applying to an online job posting is even more fruitless than replying to some online dating profile.

>A) god tier programmer with work to show for it
Literally 100% in every programming class I've ever had. Hobbies all involve programming.

Doesn't matter because when I was 18 I was a drug addict who failed a ton of classes as a liberal arts major. It doesn't matter that it was years ago and in irrelevant classes because cumulative GPA just averages everything together.

>learning rails in 2018
HAHAHAHAHA. dude what are you doing you're like a decade late on Ruby. React is the single best thing to ever come out of the web development world

>he believes this to cope
Let me tell you, as someone who has been on hiring committees, we decide based on interview performance. At some companies, packets are anonymous to reduce bias.

same

I'm in accounting, we outsource you lazy fucks to India. Pajeet programs as well as you for half the cost and puts in double the actual work.

I know how you operate. Canned 140 of you guys last year.

suicide postponed

you realize you can use react on rails?

If you can find a career fair where big companies are attending, that's a good way to guarantee your resume is looked at

Because I don't want to code. Because I don't give a shit about code. Why do you think?

I'd rather gamble.

Eventually I'll stop cherry picking and just apply for every posting remotely tech related.

I could use React with Brainfuck if I wanted but that wouldn't stop it from being an abomination. Ruby is a disgusting language

Web languages are brainlet tier

w.e. mate you sound autistic perhaps i just dont have enough of those powers to be a web dev