Career Advice

Am I fucked Veeky Forums? I graduated uni 3 months ago, and the only job I could get that wasn't coffee-making or cleaning was a part-time banking position. Salary is $56,000, but at part time I'll be pulling in around $32,000.

Should I just swallow the bullet and live like a monk for the employment experience, or try to find a better job doing some shit menial work?

Where the hell do you live that 32k isn't enough to live on? That being said, you don't want manual labor and banking is probably the best job you can get with no experience, in general. It's shitty but it won't destroy your body or drive you insane with sales goals.

I'm 34 with a high school diploma and now have a senior level systems admin job for the state earning into 250K range when factoring in benefits. I'll give you the best advice you'll get here. Take what you can get, but don't settle. Complacency is your only enemy. I worked food service and busted my ass to get into management position. From there I developed my skills in my off time and got an entry level tech support job. I worked my way up to leading the technical team there, continued building my skills and experience and landed a job with Symantec. I moved to Mountain View and worked on one of their product lines as a Systems Engineer for about a year. The product line failed, but they wanted to keep me on board. Unfortunately at the time (2012), the job market was bad and they didn't have any positions open that were lateral or above that I was qualified for. I wasn't willing to step down in my career so I applied and got hired at the state.

Through my career the thing that carried me was not becoming complacent. I always took on challenges. I went the extra mile, and I continued to develop myself. When I was ready to move on, I did. You have the benefit of having a degree, which hopefully is in a worthwhile field. You'll be able to skip a few steps I had to take. Take the shit job, and work hard there, get promoted. It will make your resume be so much more attractive. It builds character and good employers recognize that. Just don't stick around too long. You know you're worth more, but the market just isn't there yet. Opportunity will come, but you have to make ends meet until then, and if you aren't looking for opportunity, it may not find you. Good luck.

You're fucking clueless dude. Don't get so absorbed in your career that you spend your free time trying to advance or better yourself, christ.

Probably some of the best advice on Veeky Forums
He built a high school diploma into a senior admin position. Are you retarded? He had a goals and he executed them. That's nothing to look down on. You'll never make it.

Cheers, good to hear there's room to grow.

My only worry is that I'll just be eking out a living. I want to spend my early 20s travelling, and to do that I need to be able to save up money, not just pay the bills. I'm just worried that if I don't put in the hard yards now, I won't be able to get a decent job when I'm in a more stable point in life.

It's a lot to look down on. The people who genuinely chase after some sort of dream career are insane. Even if they do make it, they've spent their best years thinking about work, where you get to spend your time making money for someone else, instead of doing things they enjoy.

>banking
>part time
>$32,000
Well considering you are completely worthless I would say you did really well for yourself. Naturally you will fuck it up because you are worthless. But hey, we all gotta start somewhere. Like worthless, as an example.

tata

56k is not that bad dude.

>What the 90% peasant population sounds like.

Well I couldn't tell you how to travel through your 20s, I didn't have the luxury. I can travel anywhere in the world I want now though and I'm not too old to have some fucking fun :) Everyone has their priorities and dreams though. Just make sure you do things responsibly.

>I am poor
Oh ok cool user no worries high five

>instead of doing things they enjoy.
I enjoy bettering myself and advancing my career. Having a fulfilling and successful career is where I derive at least 60% of my life's happiness from.

Then I feel sorry for you.

You sound like a real asshole. Hope you at least know that much.

>Makes $32,000
>Am I fucked?

No.

If it's a part time position, you can easily apply to other jobs when you're not working.

Post your resume user. I think I know why you can't even get interviews.

Any debt user?

He didn't actually put "I'm a faggot" on his resume though...

Fucking anywhere in the western world you poor teenager

But it probably has his Walmart experience prominently displayed.

Protip OP: Delete all irrelevant experience from your resume, and then work with what's left

fucking yes.

I work at gold's gym and i only make about 10k a year. Trying to find money to invest on that money is hard as fuck.

I graduated with u and im not doing shit. haven't worked a day yet. fuck it. yolo

oh fuck off