Applied for a graduate position in a relatively top tier global design firm even though I'm still a student

>applied for a graduate position in a relatively top tier global design firm even though I'm still a student.
>miraculously landed an interview, told them i can start working immediately
>got a call back 7 hours later and offered a casual position 3 days a week.
>said to start working next week
>forgot I actually have a 2-weeks holidays booked literally next week

How fucked am I? The guy understandably sounded angry and annoyed since I told them very confidently that i can start immediately. I was nervous during interview and literally forgot about my holiday plans (fairly important as i have to visit dying relative so cant cancel). Do issues like this usually get overlooked if you're an inexperienced student/casual?

The guy told me to wait for the official letter but will they cancel the offer last minutely because of this?

This is basically my dream job and I fucked up in the most retarded way possible

Cancel the vacation wage cuck, should have shorted bitcoin.

Should have made up an excuse... omg my mom is dying I have to start in three weeks.

Instead you go tell your future boss the truth... you’ll never make it.

Go work at McDonalds

Cancel the vacation you retard. You fucked up and now you got to postpone that shit or watch someone else cuck you out of the position.

they sounded like theyve rescheduled so i dont think i can just call them again and tell them i can start working now

any oldfags here with experience? Has there been any students as retarded as me?

REEEEEEEEEEE stop with the interview and wagecuck threads! its depressing as fuck

i unironically wouldve killed myself if it werent for my interest in this career field

Like seriously? Cancel the vacation, dumbass. It's only 2-weeks, you'll easily get that many vacation days in a year + you'll have more money. You know how hard it is to get a nice job nowadays?

would it be annoying to call them back again?

sorry for all these retarded questions this is literally my first job

It fucking kills me that people get opportunities like this then fuck it up.
>er-er vacation
Grow the fuck up man. I'd kill for the opportunity you just let slip through your fingers.

No, just say something along the lines of "don't worry about it boss, I cancelled the vacation"

If you haven't signed anything yet they most certainly can throw you out

Really depends on if they have someone else lined up to take the position, though if they really liked you they'll make the exception. Being able to start immediately isn't something you see often in career jobs

Yes, suck it up and call them. Show that you have interest in the job because they definitely know any other fresh grad would jump at the opportunity.

No it is not overlooked.
Honestely I'm surprised they didn't straight u fire you.

ITT OP looking for an excuse to bail on a sweet job because he’s scared. Man up nigga. You know what you got to do.

kills me too man I self taught myself stuffs that they dont teach in uni, in addition to the uni workload.

Been working decently hard and i fucking hate myself for screwing up like this

Cant really cancel the flight either as Im obligated to visit my dying grandma. We dont talk often but it's a respect thing

I'm fairly top of the line and there arent many students with my level of skills. Basically if they hire me they're kinda getting the skill of a graduate but less cost since im getting paid a casual rate.

So not much competition and i probably wont get cucked out of a job. However I just feel really bad as the situation looked like i was intentionally lying during the interview

>fairly important as i have to visit dying relative so cant cance
I skipped past this part. What you should have done the moment you realized you fucked up is turned the "vacation" (literally fuck yourself again) into a quick flight over the weekend to see this relative. Too expensive? Get the fuck over it, your own dumbass caused this situation anyway.

But you have to stand your ground now. If this guy on the off chance moved things around with HIS superiors to actually let you get away with this dumbass move, if you come and say "heh heh just kidding I can start now!" he'll probably either fire you right there or he'll hate you even more for the entirety of your time there.

Sorry to hear about your family member by the way. I'm sure shit will work out for you.

Im not good with words

ALRIGHT im just going to spend the vacation refining my skills to make sure I'll perform well during the job

/thread thanks alot biz i feel better now

Might not be a good idea to listen to me lmao. I'm a graduate looking for work too. I'd maybe ask a mentor or someone along those lines what you should do. You seem like a good guy, good luck man.

user if they interviewed you and offered you a position then they either dont care, or you're then words than you think. Nut up and call them

Lol, did you tell them you're visiting a dying relative? You should've cashed that in for all the sympathy points you could.

>inb4 corporate bosses have no sympathy
You'd be surprised, I've heard stories of financial firms keeping employees on company healthcare for years after they've become incompetent because the employee has a terminally ill kid or something.

>being a complete retard

lol

It shouldn't be a big deal. I delayed my start date because I could have potentially gotten a bonus from the company I was leaving for finishing one of their releases.

Its better that you are taking time off _before_ you start your new job, not shortly after you have started. This way once you start, you won't be interrupted for two weeks during the onboard process.

Don't overthink it, they aren't going to revoke your job over this.

Update: just called the guy and told him that i can clear my schedule and waste my tickets if i need to and was told (again) to start officially next week.

Just wanted to at least show that I made an effort to correct my mistakes so it doesnt seem like im intentionally lying. Probably better this way since it kinda demonstrates im committed to the position.

the $1000ticket couldve been saved to buy more linkies tho

thanks man but ill still cancel my ticket regardless. This is the opportunity ive been waiting for since 2 years ago and i dont want to piss it off for a plane ticket

thanks m9

Go visit your dying relative you moron. I hope you explained that to the person on the phone. Getting a new job might feel good, not seeing a relative for the last time feels much worse

gg u blew it

last place i applied for gave me 3 weeks (I just said I had a holiday booked) before i started, but that's cos I let them know I had something planned during the interview. pulling a fast one like that probably fucked you

You're just going to have to bite the bullet. You should've planned for this accordingly, if you think you can land another position then don't worry about it, but if you can't then you might want to consider cancelling the vacation.