ITT how you REALLY learned all about money. tell us what you played and what you did

ITT how you REALLY learned all about money. tell us what you played and what you did.

back in the day:
>wageslave all day mining rocks in the hot sun on runescape
>finally save up enough money to buy a rune scimitar
>friendly guy in the bank offers me one for 20k, much cheaper than the usual 35k at the time
>he puts it up as a 'note', hurried to 'accept'
>fucking bastard scammed me and switched out his rune scimitar for an IRON SCIMITAR (worth 500gp at most) that looked identical on the 'note'
>just got scammed out of most of my money, worked for level 40 attack and have nothing to show for it

A few days later...

>buy a real rune scimitar, pull the same scam off on dozens of other people
>finally feeling "rich" at like 300k net worth, use my money to start legitimately merchanting rune armour sets, eventually move on to barrows equipment and discontinued rares

who else /vidya high roller/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

rsplayers.wikia.com/wiki/TheStory
ethercraft.io
etheremon.com
decentraland.org
worldofether.com
parsecfrontiers.com
etherarmy.com/
etherchan.com
etherspace.co/#
youtube.com/watch?v=65c9UXX-wYo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

neopets

it even had a stock market game

Unless you could real world trade for hard cold cash, all that hustle is for nothing, maybe you'll land a few traps here and there as an in game girlfriend and maybe they'll even go as far as roleplay in world 42 as your maid or mistress but other than that you're pretty much washed out.

ahhh runescape.

i used to double money and really did it until they got greedy and went all in. *logs out*

i used to scream buying junk item x for millions which was worthless but still hard to get

10 miles away i would screm sell said item for 300k on another account

they would rush to buy from my 2nd account to sell to my 1st account.

life was easy.

playing runescape eventually got me into programming because i wanted to bot the repetitive shit

>be me
>be 2007
>scam like 12 different people with the same exact world of warcraft account for sale on some account trading forum
>make literally $12000 doing this
>be only in high school
>start getting paranoid because not sure if illegal
>never got caught

Am i doing it right?

fuck those are some good scams. You're only trying to scam the scammers.

this, neopets was unironically the best economy in video game game history. needs to be emulated on blockchain so I can make a living grinding vidjya

>be me 13
>started a runescape gambling fc
>made over 100b sold it all for bitcoin
>made another 30b and merched rares and became the richest runescape player in hisstory
>manipulated the entire market to become rich
>mfw players made a post about me trying to flame me for being a god whale on rs
>pic related me
rsplayers.wikia.com/wiki/TheStory

Runescape. Was a wage-cucked fisherman.
Realized I could just rwt to buy a fuckload of cash in game and then merch that for even more.

sharking kids in tf2

Magic the gathering, speculating on potential cards that would be used . Flip for a profit

neopets
>create a guild
>post in forums im giving away an extremely rare item, show it off in my shop
>tell people they can buy entrys by purchasing garbage items from me for high prices
>have my friend to pretend to win each time
I did that over and over and over again until I had too much neopoints and items. I was confused why day after day people kept falling for it.

Disillusioned I started selling neopoints on eBay. I did this for months until neopets somehow caught me and banned my accounts for selling neopoints.

well i remember buying some gold for $10 fiat so you can make money with it.

Sold "rs" accounts for furniture items in habbo. Would choose random account from rank list with 99 mage and spam "quitting RS selling account with 99 mage for 3 furni items" kids would trade me and I'd tell them the password was sports. Then they'd realise it doesn't work and spam me all these messages. It was great

i just had to login because of this post

i still have over 10 million neopoints

This thread seems like a suitable place to drop this info:

>ethercraft.io Decentralized Dungeon Crawler
>etheremon.com Decentralized World of Ether Monsters
>decentraland.org A virtual world that runs on open standards
>worldofether.com Decentralized collectible dueling game
>parsecfrontiers.com A MMO strategy universe.
>etherarmy.com/ Etheremon clone with army, battling coming "soon".
>etherchan.com Etheremon clone with Veeky Forums waifus, battling and breeding coming "soon".
>etherspace.co/# Etheremon clone with spaceships, battling coming "soon".

Too bad it wasn't a real market, you just put in 15k a day and hope it moons one day

Holy shit dude is it really you?

Lol oh man this brings back memories.
>back in 2008, no grand exchange
>stand outside lumby attracting new players
>give them basic armor, a few thousand gp, etc
>WOW THANKS MISTER HOW DID YOU GET ALL THIS
>proceed to help them complete rune mysteries quest
>show them how to mine rune essence
>buy rune essence from newbies for 10gp each
>proceed to resell at 30gp
At one point I had like 10 people running essence for me all thinking they were making out big time. I guess what I learned most about money there is to be fucking careful and reaize that scammers come in all forms.

nice larp faggot

I sort of controlled the low level materials like linen on the auctionhouse in World of Warcraft when I was a kid. So when high level dudes wanted to boost their low level crafting thei either had to farm themselves or buy almost worthless shit for extortionate prices

I played 16th - 17th century pirate games, mainly anno, Patrician, age of pirates, and various other games of the sort. I raided ships for shekels and sold their goods to city ports. Taught me all I needed to know about trading and supply and demand.

you weren't really scamming them though

you deserved the profit since you faciliated everything. you were just a middleman helping out poor people and giving them a job, like an employer.

employers aren't all scammers but they basically do what you did.

every online game with an economy I ever played, really
made fucktons of money selling items in D2
make fucktons of money in a very short time in D3 when they had the auction house
cornered the markets in so many MMOs, dark age of camelot, horizons, wow, gw2; can't even list them all there's too many

RuneScape. Bought items low, sold high, made enough to buy a dragon 2h in 2006 at 9 years old.
Got scammed, raged, restarted and had a whip a few months later. Never skilled, all merch.

You fucking wish that was you.

Ran a huge botfarm on Runescape 2007-2012, made a fuckton of money, especially in the beginning. Started off selling 1M for $3, at the end I was selling 1M for $0.60, a sad development but I milked that cow for every fucking penny it was worth. Made quite a bit. :^)

Anyone else use to spread FUD before they knew what FUD was in the item discussion forums posting CRAAAAAAAASH and ALL HELLS BREAKING LOOSE.

that seems so low, doesn't it take awhile to make a million coins and then you sell it for 3 bucks?

seems so low, you are a pajeet or something? i guess as a kid it's not bad.

I sharked tons of people in tf2. Made about 2-3k$. Then I started scamming people, got banned lol. Quite a lot of nice stuff still locked in that account, ah well.

I literally made thousands of euros every day by exploiting corporeal beast bug. I had around 40 accounts running 24/7 killing corp beasts. this shit made me so much money its insane.

good times.

> that seems so low, doesn't it take awhile to make a million coins

no, 1m/h was possible if you had good methods or high level in certain skills

I still haven't learned about money. I suck at getting it and I don't like using it. I work hard, harder than anyone I know, but I get paid like shit and can't bring myself to ask for more because more doesn't fix 'the problem.' I also don't get along with people who make or seek lots of money. I envy that it seems to bring them so much motivation and try to emulate and ask about their life, but it doesn't make sense to me and I can't relate. I only buy crypto in the hopes that it will deliver me from toil and interaction with these people who don't make sense to me but. How do I fix myself biz?

>phished csgo retards
>phished runescape retards

was comfy

I used to play a lot of Warframe back in the day (still do sometimes when they release new content). In the game you can trade items with other players for the in-game currency called platinum.

I found a website called warframe.markets that basically lets you see a list of buyers and sellers for a certain item in the game. I profited off of this by buying a certain item in bulk and then reselling it on the trading channel in the game, where prices for things were usually higher.

Basically I was doing arbitrage before I even knew what arbitrage was.

I remember I used to merchant old school in the Falador gardens switching worlds, back when it took a little guile to make a buck. When the GE hit I only had 300k. Using my simple high schooler brain I turned it into 300 mil in 2 weeks flipping stacks of items that would be in demand given what quests were released, what was big in pvp etc.

I earned 20 bitcoins from goldfarming

I botted then realized the game was a pointless grind and nothing was added for fun
Minigames died and suddebly everybody wanted to grind pointless xp alone. Even catherby fishing is a ghost town

That said back in the day rs2 was great and did encourage me to get a degree in finance
Never scammed or merched though

I remember selling rune essence because all did in that game was PK with rune weapons on F2P. After a while I caught on and sold it for way more but there was a while I was selling them pretty cheap for no reason.

A HS friend of mine used to run a gambling CC and he and his friend got extremely wealthy in-game

He'd let me run dice games as well, but my stack was only 50m at most, got unlucky and had to pay out until I went broke lol

anyone remember habbo hotel?

i made a website that explained how to get free coins. if you dont know what it is, you paid with your telephone by calling a number and then putting in the code for your account.

my website asked them to input their username and then gave them my code. then it explained how to call my system and how to "HACK!!!!!" it for free coins.

basically made tons of free coins this way. probably cost kids parents phone bill a total of $10,000 in the end

I was never scammed playing MMOs, but damn was I stupid. I thought that by buying whatever I wanted off the market I was making a healthier in-game economy and would contribute to more people offering their odds on the market and lower prices over all. Fucking don't ask me. I came close to running out of money pretty quick so first lesson was to be self-reliant and not be dependant on any market to meet my needs.

Capitalism 2 taught me all about the importance of leverage and enlightened me on the perspective of a tycoon. You don't have enough money unless it's all the money.

Running a trade guild in Vendetta Online, I still play a few hours a day. Using nubs in low-end space ships to mine my ore and give 10% of their earnings to the guild bank. Pic related.

Everyone's at Prif or CA bank nowadays

kek I'm always the sucker buying it up too.

tf2, crypto is literally buds at this point, why hold

>wageslave killing cows for cowhides
>save up enough to start merching
>buy f2p hides 100 ea and sell in bulk on forums 125+ ea
>buy members
>start "street merching" with superior knowledge of prices and negotiation skills
>get into gambling later and turn 2b bank into 40b in a few months

>tfw phat bets

Fuck I miss those days.

EVE Online. I stopped playing a couple years ago but man I really miss the experience sometimes. I got into low-sec capital production and sales for a long time before finally just going to null-sec myself. Every once in a while I debate going back, but so much has changed I don't even know if it's worth it.

Get into Vendetta Online, I liked eve until I found Vendetta Online. It's not as "big" but it is twitch combat and has a better community.

What should I do to learn this stuff, how markets work, etc?

I used to make a decent amount of irl cash with WoW botting back in high school.

>learn about bots
>get interested because I wanted to level my character while I was sleeping
>start learning about gold farming, character trades/sales, etc
>get to the point where I am quad-boxing my bots 24/7
>set up my own website to showcase current listings
>bot the accounts up to max level, sell the gold for cash then sell the account itself for more

I was netting around $1,000/mo back then but foolishly blew it all on dumb stuff. I had no concept of personal finance or savings back then.

Diablo 2 classic. Trojaned hundreds of people.

Yeah it was fun back in the days. 90% of the community sits on over 10+mil now though, since you can literally just order it for a few bucks.
I started botting when the new graphics released in 2008 or whatever the year was, ran 30 bots and made a few million every hour without getting banned for 3 years.

I had so many monkfish that I could completely demolish the exchange market prices. Which me and my friend abused.
The fun part was that I sold everything for IRL money in 2011, basically 5 months before the botnuke (which actually banned 28/30 of my bot accounts, it saved 2 for some reason).

I then went over to WoW and screwed up the Elementium and Pyrite prices for an entire realm. I got a whisper from a GM after a few months that told me I got reported over 100 times for manipulating AH prices, that made it extremely expensive for people to level professions.
I literally felt like an overlord when I sponsored my friend and "boosted" his professions to max, which confused his guild members because nobody had the money to casually max out professions just like that.

Fun times!

Perfect world international . the currency exchange and auction house . Turned 20$ into 200$

>)

>EQ 2003
>get a nostromo
> set up a bard swarm kiter and make 20k plat per hour

What fucking year? I think some nigger did this to me. 2007? Was it fucking you?

I went full autismo on runescape and wasted the best years of my teenage life. But it taught me dedication and money skills.
I started trading coal and lobster certificates in 2003 for my first 100k. I mined rune rocks for my first 1mil. Trading masks, santa hats, and party hats taught me how

i wish i was intelligent enough to con people. i get jealous reading all these success stories

my man right here
I wouldn't be surprised if we know each other

>2007
>flip trimmed armor from w2 to w1
>make bank
>buy santa
>make pure
>obtain ice burst
>hustle noobs in duel arena staking santa for their entire banks
>never lose until...
>stake santa for 10m (40% of market price)
>splash 4 times in a row
>lose
>AAAAAAAAA
>siblings back away
>punch hole in wall
>freak out at the damage
>threaten to kick my siblings' asses if they tell
>explain to my mom that I tripped while holding the vacuum and the handle fell into the wall

>ran a couple bots on RS which is basically the equivalent of crypto mining of today
>joined a merchant clan and pumped and dumped on the grand exchange
>realized i didn't have to wage slave (grind skills) for money and i could just stake it in the duel arena, develop a gambling addiction
>learned about all the fucking scams people try to pull online, good thing it was for gp and not real money

RS was the best training for this shit

Lol i had 31 from before my account got b&, just sitting there getting more worthless

are you this guy?
youtube.com/watch?v=65c9UXX-wYo

never con an honest jon

d2jsp .org - i.e. trading forum gold for ladder items on diablo 2

does anybody here sold referrals in league of legends?

basically it was possible to exploit the referral system in league of legends which gave you rewards like RP (the currency that you use to buy skins and shit)
I bought an SSD + 24GB ram + i7 + big ass cooler so I could use as many VMs as possible to exploit this
my pc was pretty much turned on 24/7 for an full year printing money for me until they shut down the referral system because too much people were abusing it (ops)

oh man, those were the days

Even neopets wasn't a ponzi though

>that feeling when all of your accounts alone probably make up around 0.1% of all League accounts created

No real success like these others, but the WOW AH

young user so bear with the cringe please

>be me
>young teens
>play roblox 24/7
>get into clans
>realise, "shit, every single clan needs logos, thumbnails, and avertisements"
>pirate photoshop
>download "GFX Packs" from youtube and start "designing"
>get really good(laughably bad)
>start charging people robux to sell designs
>there was no way to transfer, so you would create a t shirt on the catalog called "payment" and that's how you'd get paid

>realize i was a fucking idiot
>start charging these fuckers $15 an hour
>suddenly at 14 im making double sitting on my ass making logos than I did bagging groceries at publix
>helped me with an initial investment to start a youtube network later on

good times

Any way to sell habbo stuff for real $$$? I have like 5k worth of shit on there

I did this but with eye of newts
>get noobs to go to the store and buy up eye of newts(tedious)
>spend most of the day doing pest control for stats(well before it was nerfed, cancerous I know)
>buy thousands of eyes of newts off noobs for cheap
>resell at 300gp

Arbitraging trade goods from Goblins to my own allies.. It was for a good cause. Also undercutting the linen and wool markets until I was the only seller.

If I could go back in time I would definitely do 200 days /played again. Too baf WoW became total shit when Wrath released. Don't bother trying to reply to me, vanilla and tbc were the only times wow was good.

Got some serious nostalgia from this thread. Fuck.

what up fellow RS merch. I merched my way up to an almost complete collection of party hats back in highschool. learned a lot about price vs value, timing, psychology. of course this was back when rune 2h were $1.1 million a pop, because only 2 people could smith them. party hats were only 100-200k each, although you could push people below 100k for some of the less desired ones. once you got up to party hat level there was some good profit margins.

Friend of mine made a small fortune playing Runescape. He was always bug abusing/scamming/botting and so on. Mostly social engineering plebs into giving him gp though. He would infiltrate clans and make an account with almost the same name as the leader/some other respected person, just with a 1 instead of i etc. Then he would act like his own account was an alt that needed some starting capital, which he of course would pay right back when he logged back into his "main". Seen him do like 20m at a time, which was quite a lot back then. Wildy luring was also a big source of income to him.

At some point he started selling his gp and botted account to chinks for btc. Probably around $10k-$20k worth. This was back when BTC was like $500. He started asking questions about crypto a few weeks back so I assume he sold most of it early but still made a decent amount. He also bought Ripple at $0.70 because he saw it on facebook and sold high when it started crashing because he has paper hands. Some people are just meant to be rich.

Runes of Magic
>you could trade "gems" bought with real money on the trading post
>usally 10 gems cost more in comparison than say 100
>buy large amounts and repackage them

On an Wow Private server in 2008 or 10
>build remote controlled cars, that had no listings
>promote it hardcore on their forums, even had a video showing it off
>make insane profits, as in 90% profit on each one sold
>became insanely rich

In Guild Wars 2:
>buy 10 accounts for 10 dollar each when it was on sale once
>log in daily for login rewards and cashing in event rewards
>Guild calls me "particle rat"

EVE taught me that autistically sperging over spreadsheets and charts as compared to just jumping in with both legs John Woo style and do crazy shenanigans for mediocre gains is simply not worth it in terms of fun.

That reminds me, I have an old account total level around 2000 with 200m cash and vintage untradeables, is it worth anything irl? And how would I go about selling it?

I got my neopoints back when they were called antshares.

eve taught me that being an FC in one of the 5 biggest alliances in the game means its really fucking easy to manipulate the market.
>buy up X amount of hulls cheaply over time
>start leading fleets into another corps territory that contains the minerals and produces about 30% of said hulls in the game
>hit all their moons/pos
>prices skyrocket because supply is down 30%
>sell my stockpiled hulls on the market for ridiculous profit
>get my losses reimbursed because im FC
for even more profit i used to take out fleets in that particular hull. i.e buy out all the typhoon hulls then attack a corp that produces typhoons while in a fleet of 250+ typhoons.

Eve is stupid easy to manipulate if you know the right people and are at the upper levels in the bigger corps

Told kids in call of duty that I could get them into a tenth prestige lobby, but it had to be done in an offline lobby. So they handed over their user name and password to me lol

>2008 runescape
>older brother and i bought coins from a popular site
>knew where the people traded coins to their customers
>made accounts with similar names to the ones that traded people their money
>told people we were with the site and needed money back for another customer
>told them we would give back double what they gave us shortly
>made roughly 50m this way

good times