Is aerogel a good insulator for basic consumer goods such as jackets, coolers, blankets, ect...

Is aerogel a good insulator for basic consumer goods such as jackets, coolers, blankets, ect? I was thinking of using aerogel in a product I am developing. I was curios why no major companies use it as of now. Is it dangerous for long term use or is there just better insulation materials for cheaper?

Other urls found in this thread:

buyaerogel.com/product/thermal-wrap/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aerogel is hard and brittle.

>Insulator

read

A jacket filled with aerogel will feel like a bag filled with glas shards.
It literally feels like a very light glas.

And does it keep its insulating properties when broken down?

Bingo.

But what about non clothing applications such as coolers, lunch boxes, and thermoses?

i thought it was super expensive

It's a building/construction product

You can get a whole roll of aerogel wrap for $42 buyaerogel.com/product/thermal-wrap/

But why would it be limited to only that application?

Well, if you have the machinery to work on aerogel without fucking it up, go ahead.

Nah, not really. The price defeats the purpose of it being a construction insulator. You have to pay a 100 grand for the insulation of a small house.

it's still very new in terms of market penetration, cost is therefore very high. areogel insulation for houses is starting to take off, and it works great. for jackets blankets you need durability. for coolers styrofoam works good enough and is very cheap. maybe if your marketing to a niche who needs very long life cooler and is willing to pay a stupid price

People may be willing to pay a generally higher price just for areogel being in the product name. Essentially couldn't someone just put a thin layer of areogel blank around the inner walls of the cooler and fill the remaining space with a cheaper insulator.

thanks, just bought 100k

sage

this is a crypto board

Crypto is ded

i want to bite into it

It's very brittle.
Source: masters in crystallography

when aresosol breaks due to high brittleness
it releases micro spores ofitself in the air
any hosue with areosol for insulation is the new asbestos

have fun getting cancer faggot

if you had particulate, it should act the same way provided its not just dust. But what's the point.

As sound insulation, mass is typically the most important. I used ROXUL in my basement between floors (1st floor tenants are fucks), and I am super impressed with results.

You'd probably have a decent product with the gimmick, might work. Would probably be too expensive unless you did a kickstarter with a great 'muh super light weight cooler'

and thermoses use a vacuum, you'd actually have less thermal efficiency than a vacuum.

Aerogel is great if you're making a cooler that needs to deal with high and low temperature ranges as well as pressure changes from vacuum to ground level.

However aerogel will absorb water then self destruct and it's fragile. So not good for a cooler unless you wrap it in a protective layer and padding. So no good for jackets and no good for anything without exacting mechanical perfection, coolers are not.

It's brittle and very expensive.

probably catches on fire easily and will immolate you.

>However aerogel will absorb water then self destruct and it's fragile. So not good for a cooler unless you wrap it in a protective layer and padding. So no good for jackets and no good for anything without exacting mechanical perfection, coolers are not.

it's being used in house insulation user, it's not the aerogel that nasa used and nothing like pictured in OP's image. if what you say is were true about these new aerogel knockoffs then they'd never work because houses are anything but dry and the application of the housing aerogel insulation is often exterior and exposed to vapor.

>I was curios why no major companies use it

they do, but it aint cheap so only a few use it for specific applications

wtf, you talking about user... "aresol"?????