/det/ - daily education thread

Post your questions, stories, and experiences about upcoming, current, or previous education you've endured and how it has effected your success.
Remember there are no stupid questions only stupid people

Degree Ranking Poll
strawpoll.me/15023143

previous thread

mechanical engineer or electrical/electronic

which is the best and which could get me a job in japan?

Business Administration or Communications

which is better for someone with no aspirations other than wagecucking their way into middle class? Comm seems like it has easier classes

Physics and math should be broken out in your pole. Physics is much harder and more useful than biology and chemistry.

Once i get enough replies for 'unbelievable teir' ill make the next poll for great and good tier then ill split them up

Finance degrees can net you a $160k job in your first year without any masters. Ditch IB in year 3 and jump to PE/VC and you could achieve $500k within 5-10 without ever stepping foot in grad school. Good luck doing that with a shit """"STEM""" degree, which basically mandates you go to grad school to advance.

Decide my life for me biz idk what to do. I have a BSc in chemistry and I live in Canada

Options:
1. MSc in materials Chemistry (work on organic electronics)
2. HS teacher (Canada has good pay start at 50-60k and at 90-100k after 10 years)
3. Self teach to be a software developer. (Half and way there already)

> mfw applied maths
Feels gud mang

Difference is I won't ever get addicted to stimulants or suck a dick as an Engineer.

The highest paying jobs in the world are mathematics in R&D, and even the lesser students will find a well paying job right out uni, so moving math down seem retarded.

Comp Sci isn't God tier anymore, too many people did it, especially in Yurop, but it's still great.

A lot of lawyers are getting replaced by machine learning because it's better at remembering cases that are similar to the one you need. Much like with comp-sci there are too many.

Business is missing from Great Tier because management is where the fucking money is at.

yeah man, easy going
listen to the deluded freshman
hf wagecucking as an gayass accountant for the shit4

Anyone attend/attending University of Lethbridge?

no, just install grindr
faggot

I am in cyber security. Firmly in "good tier." I can live with that.

>Business is missing from Great Tier because management is where the fucking money is at.

Yes but you don't get your undergrad in business management. You get an undergrad degree in a STEM field (math, IT, whatever) and then get your MBA.

I'm in "shit tier" yet I make $200k and only work like half the year.

In US the best jobs to go into atm is medicine

Do the teacher thing and learn software dev in your spare time.
t. (thankfully employed) fellow leaf with a MSc in chemistry

I really want this combo
>business admin
>finance
>accounting
>economics
I already have the badm BS. I cannot decide which is more useful in the banking industry. I assume accounting is a an absolute must which leaves me to choose between finance and economics. Any bankers here? Which would you choose, if you could only choose two of the three (fin, econ, accounting)?
>implying I’m not already addicted to stimulants

1) Virtually worthless, at best will be a lab monkey with medicore pay

2) You will never get close to 90-100k a year as a HS teacher unless you work at a prestigious private school or work somewhere with the SOL so high that you're essentially making 40-50k. To deal with bratty fucks all day who don't give a fuck about you

3) Not bad, but unless you get some form of credentials to support your skill in it you will likely have a very hard time finding a job and you will EASILY get underpaid because of it

>average starting salaries at harvard business are 150k
>those graduates actually have experience

Those jobs dont happen unless youre in the top 1% and are willing to work 60 hr weeks

pretty rude desu

The second point isn't true. Those are standard teaching salaries in Ontario for public highschool. Everyone gets them.

Geophysics Major, ended up working for an O&G company. Decided i wasnt willing to live in a shithole to live out my career like the dakotas, or somewhere random in texas and definitely not a rig. 2 far out of school to get into research related things with the degree, and theres not many other outlets for this major. would not recommend unless you know exactly what you want to do.

I unironically retired before I was thirty thanks to my degree in theatre.

Can I get a redpill on my actual potential job prospects after I graduate with a PhD in physics from a top 10 uni in my specialization? I've read a lot of "$300k starting" memes and also "you need to do 4 years of a low paying post doc, to even have a chance of something better." I don't want to work in academia, is it reasonable to think I can get a moderately high paying job immediately out of graduation? I am still like 4 years out from graduating so I haven't given it much thought yet, but when I initially started my original plan was academia which I don't think is right for me long term.

pg 10 bump

The only non-bullshit domain is mathematics, remove mathematics from any domain that has them and it becomes alchemy

You forgot to move Theology to shit tier