If I cash out on coinbase but put it in my US Dollars account and then reinvest am I theoretically supposed to pay...

If I cash out on coinbase but put it in my US Dollars account and then reinvest am I theoretically supposed to pay taxes on that or do I just have to pay capital gains taxes when I cash out for real to my bank account?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/dRZg4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lol there is no "theory" about it - when you exchange crypto for literally anything yes it is a tax event in the united states

You also have to pay taxes exchanging from one cryptocurrency to another. Look up bitcointax if that sounds like too much of a pain in the ass. Idk if they're legit but they get mentioned a lot.

Shit, I'm a 19 year old college student and don't really know anything about paying taxes apart form having some taken out of my paycheck. How do I report gains?

>not cashing out only what you invested and transferring the rest to wallets and other exchanges to make more
When you hit it big, buy assets with it. I used to buy stuff off steam then re-sell those items for PayPal deposits.

There was a tax loophole about buying digital assets for digital assets returned for cash.

use turbo tax and literally google "reporting capital gains on turbo tax" its easy as shit as long as you have the date buy and sell price

I'll look into it, do I still have to file if I wait a year and have a zero percent tax rate?

Why the fuck do you think tether exists?

Tether does nothing to save you when it comes to taxes.

Only crypto to fiat is taxable. Crypto to crypto is not

I thought only norman paid taxes

Do you not know how to internet properly?

>Only crypto to fiat is taxable. Crypto to crypto is not
You are so fucked.

Tether still exists?
huh

if you're a burger you're going to jail

My sister is a cpa and she told me just worry about cashing to fiat, don't worry about crypto to crypto

Look up the "kiddie tax." You're about to get double fucked by the IRS.

>pajeet
I trust you

Your sister is incompetent.

if small gains under 20k just ignore do you guys really think IRS have that much manpower to check everyone they will only target big ones

I seriously hope you're trolling or not american because every crypto transaction is taxable since Jan 1st

It depends on the country. In the UK crypto to crypto is legally a 'like-kind exchange' and therefore not taxable. Only crypto-fiat (actual fiat NOT crypto-fiat) is taxable.

>Depends on the country
Are you illiterate? This entire thread is specifically about the US.

She's a partner at a big 4 firm

>"Every single exchange of virtual currency is a taxable event — whether to buy a cup of coffee or exchange one type of virtual currency for another. Not just transactions where it’s sold for fiat," says Tyson Cross, tax attorney with Cross Law Group
archive.fo/dRZg4

>implying she'll be held accountable for her actions if she's wrong

Ok. What IRS statute does he reference? Or am I supposed to trust Mr random lawyer in a random Forbes article?
She trades crypto too

realized gains

>trusts his imaginary sister
>doesn't trust a real tax lawyer
I suppose you could listen to the podcast linked in the article

K. Just trying to help.

A cpa is legally allowed to offer tax advice.

And no I'm not listening to a whole podcast hoping they reference the actual statutes.

Still incompetent.

crypto trading was treated as "like-kind exchanges" which allowed the payment of capital gain taxes to be deferred because the properties being swapped were of a similar nature, so long as the exchange was completed within the space of 180 days.
With the new tax rules this exception no longer applies to crypto
but I supposed all these articles and lawyers are all lying and your imaginary CPA/Crypto Trader sister knows best ;^)

>like-kind
Majority of the people who talk about like-kind are too retarded to realize that even if they wanted to utilize it they'd still have to report it by filing an 8824 form for every single trade. Not to mention that its still likely to be disallowed just as they disallowed precious metals from like-kind treatment retroactively.

this. listening to women's advice is bad practice.

Did she tell you this before Jan 1? The law has changed, bro

It's funny that you guys are so unsuccessful even the idea of having someone mildly successful in my family is unbelievable lol.

Not sure if she meant u don't need to worry due to the letter of the law or don't worry because the IRS doesn't have the resources and as long as u pay capital gains it's ok.

bitch I didn't say anything about your family

My bad

Oi vey, you stupid goyim... don't believe an actual trained and certified accountant explaining to you how taxes actually work. Believe a random lying kike on a mongolian ice fishing board instead!

Like-kind exchanges in America have always been restricted to very specific circumstances like physical property trading, and excluded securities, stock, currencies, etc.
The fact that the new tax rules specifically disallow like-kind exchanges for crypto neither confirms or denies that the IRS was treating it as such before.
Regardless, like-kind exchanges require documentation anyway, you're still required to tell the IRS exactly what you're doing and they can reject it at that time. It's not an excuse to refuse to do record keeping for years. It's not just about tax obligation, it's showing where your income came from, proving you aren't engaged in criminal activity and are actually reporting all of your income.

It's true they can't realistically keep track of crypto trading one exchanges, especially if they're located outside of the US and you didn't use your real identity, but you can't cash out from somewhere like Coinbase without them finding out about it. Your bank will report that. You'll have to demonstrate how you turned a 1 BTC purchase on CB into 10.

Not a burger but I'm about to get royally fucked with a 20k tax debt on monday, wish me luck getting a discount, I only have 5k saved fuck

"like-kind" has never applied to crypto, Mr. Noseberg.

>but I supposed all these (((articles))) and (((lawyers))) are all lying
You mean like the articles claiming China or Korea was banning all crypto? Those completely truthful and always honest (((journalists))) and all...

your sisters a cunt

well she has given him wrong information. he doesn't need to listen anyone and can just go to the fucking IRS website and read for himself

Just use bitcoin.tax or cointracker. Both will export a file you can load into turbotax.

>since Jan 1st
since forever

I didn't keep track of all the coins I traded. What should I do?