It's a well known fact that cast iron has such shit thermal properties that the best pans use it for handles...

It's a well known fact that cast iron has such shit thermal properties that the best pans use it for handles. It happens to be cheap as well, which is why the worst pans use it for the pan itself.

Cooking with a cast iron pan is basically like using cut up plastic grocery bags for clothes. The pity people feel for you is outweighed by their revulsion. As if they might catch some kind of disease from getting too close. That disease is obesity, which is understandable because the only foods cast iron doesn't fuck up beyond belief are the simplest foods that can't be fucked up unless you try: hamburgers, bacon, quickbreads, and steak.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a35V8N7htvY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not this shit again

>look mum, I'm trolling Veeky Forums

Kill yourself

> this shit again

I was thinking the same thing OP. I just didn't know how to word it. BUT YOU NAILED IT. Excellent post!

>tl:dr

But copper core is bullshit for dumb suburban soccer moms. I thought everyone knew this. It doesn't do shit, if you had enough copper to make a difference the pan would need to cost hundreds of dollars

>not using Molybdenum pans

OP is a troll and his post is designed to trigger you guys. That being said, everything he said is absolutely correct.

>if you had enough copper to make a difference the pan would need to cost hundreds of dollars

Lol copper is cheap as fuck

No

$2 and change per pound, yeah what an expense

>I can somehow afford 4-packs of beer that cost $16 each and $65 bottles of lafroog twice a week but not a $400 pan that will outlive me
your priorities, they are warped
t. someone who actually cares about food

No
Im 20 and in america, great assumptions tho. Actually had to look up what lafroog is.
>2 bottles a week
/alch/ is that way >>>
I only spent $30 on my pan that will out live me.

And I can spend 50 cents on a slab of scrap metal that will also outlive me, but that doesn't make it useful

>im 20 and america
Yes I can tell

You guys are a barrel of laffs

Only if you have no skills.

Kill yourself.

lol, there's some poorfag loser like you on every board
>you don't need a nice car, u just need to lrn 2 drift just look at Initial D t. Veeky Forums
>you don't need a nice bike, it's all about how strong you are watch the Yowamushi he pedals to akihabara on a dutchbike lmao t. /n/
>you don't need need to be handsome to stay in a youth hostel u just need to b urself t. /trv/
>you don't need a $2000 facebook machine you can just build a shrieking "rig" from newegg parts for $150 and install gentoo t. /g/
>good cookware is a waste of money, I watched kitchen nightmares so im just as good as ramsey t.Veeky Forums

Sounds like you think you can buy skills

>shit thermal properties
Such as?

I know fairy tales have planted all kinds of weird ideas in your head, but being poor doesn't actually make you better at things, no matter how strongly you may wish it

Being rich doesnt either friend =)

No, but being middle class means I can buy nice things and get a better result than you and your cast iron pan with GMO cornmeal and powdered milk from the welfare store.

>implying Im not middle class
You sound like the guy in the thread from like a week ago who though he could buy skills too, and that just because his pan was "better" it meant that his food was better

>I may be poor but I have my pride and no one can ever take that away from me
This was literally all I read

Enjoy your hamburgers and cornbread, adults are trying to cook over here

> Cast iron
> Used for handles

Fuck no. It does NOT have the properties for that. Way too much carbon. It's for compression, not tension. Use it for the cooker, not the pan. And especially not the handle!

apparently money cant buy reading comprehension or cooking skills
>oh no, someone's trying to shatter my superiority complex, better call them poor and insult them

>implying
what do you think cast iron skillet handles are made of?

Im pretty sure the fact that most cast iron pans are one piece counters that

>oh no, someone has their shit together, better point out that senna driving a minivan could beat a blind drunk man in a ferrari therefore nice things are a scam
you aren't senna. you aren't ripert. you aren't skilled. you are just poor :(

in what way? do you really think the cast iron handle is going to snap under the maybe 20 lbs of tension at the absolute most tension it will need to endure from lifting a pot? we're talking about cookware here, not industrial machines or buildings

Unless trailer park tier cookware the handle is a separate piece.

>I- I better keep insulting him to secure my own fragile ego that Ive spent so much money to maintain!
>ripert
Oh look, it seems he uses mostly Carbon steel (light cast iron) and stainless steel for his cooking
>still implying that I'm poor
I just mean that if a handle is actually an extention of the pan, instead of just attached by 2-3 bolts, the stress is spread out and its much less likely to break

>implying any cast iron cookware isn't trailer park tier

>stainless steel
B-b-but it doesn't have pores! You can wash it so it must be for plebs! Muh magnetite!

the point is it undergoes so little stress that it doesn't matter. unless you're cooking for a banquet the pan + food is pretty much never going to weigh more than 20 lbs

>you cant wash cast Iron

>ITT
wow guise you are super cool you can stop signaling on an anonymous chinese cartoon board nao k thx bai

>muh signaling
did the logical fallacies for the intellectually challenged catalog issue a new revision for 2016? seems like people with no argument have been meming this one hard lately.

It's a well known fact that different tools have different purposes. It appears OP cannot handle a certain set of tools, which is fine. He deserves our pity. not scorn. Maybe one day he can grow up and realize that there is room for differing opinions, and his lack of skill.

I see your point, I just think that the only benefit of it not being an extension of the pan is not having to use a pot holder most of the time. Id use it either way and neither would stop me from buying a good cast iron pan

*tip*

Oh I forgot, you can as long as you use the super special cast iron definition of "wash", kind of like how cast iron isn't really for an extremely narrow set of tasks until you redefine cooking to mean steaks, pork chops, and burgers

copper is also much more expensive than iron, and its extraordinarily high rate of heat transfer makes it a bad choice for a handle, even if it is structurally stronger due to being an extension of the pan (because as mentioned before, tensile strength is not really important at all for cookware). furthermore, a cast iron handle won't heat up much at all if you aren't cooking for more than 15 or 20 minutes. it's also ovensafe. it's a pretty good material for handles, actually.

>dont burn food on the pan like a retard
>Let pan cool
>rinse with water
>maybe use some soap or salt to get out burnt shit if you fucked up
>dont scrub hard
>dry
????

Yeah, I didnt think copper could go in ovens though. That seems to be the only benefit over a SS or wooden handle though.

copper does great in ovens, just don't use an empty tinned copper pan under a broiler and it's fine

Thermal conductivity

he means CI retains heat and doesnt change temp quickly as copper does, which is needed for a few tasks

I love cast iron! It was recommended to me by my wife's boyfriend's son and I cook everything on it now!

ITT: electric ranges

I like cast iron because it is heavy and weight is a sign of reliability. Also, my mother has many of them that were bought when I was a kid and they will outlive me.

Tell me about titanium though. I want a non-adherent pan and I fear the teflon.

Why is Veeky Forums willing to consider metals that have no reason to be in a kitchen before copper cookware?

>using metals that are constantly corroding into and reacting with your food instead of beautiful inert glass
enjoy your cancers and heavy metal poisoning.

Cooking in anything other than the skulls of your defeated enemies' women and children.

Metal?
C'mon, where's the joy in that?

>implying i dont have visionware pots with cast iron pans

Using skulls as cookware still sounds pretty metal to me, user.

>soap
REEEEEEEEEE

the poverty in this thread is remarkable, I didn't know people who are so poor could even afford internet connections

I know, right? Can only afford one skillet so it has to be stainless topped. No money for a second rustic cast pan, or a teflon for eggs. Sickening.

>there's a person wasting oxygen RIGHT NOW who doesn't even have a few tinned copper pans
What is this, a forum for war refugees?

Every one here strips houses of copper and steals copper every chance they get and it has gotten to the point where you need a license and proof of where you got the copper to be able to sell it for scrap. It's sad. Copper is under $3 a pound and a ton of work to strip from places in the night illegally. I'm waiting for people to reliably find a source for tin since it's almost $8 a pound now for that and hasn't been hit hard around here in any way.

Because traditional is only acceptable when it's cheap shit. Nice traditional things make us angry and resentful.

I paid $125 for a copper cazo that fits 30lbs-40lbs of meat. Granted it was made by a mexican and is hand hammered so it is not really usable on a stove but its very good on a propane burner.

>thin, rolled edges
>no lining
did you do any research at all before you bought that thing? looks more like a decorative bucket that housewives decorate their homes with than cookware desu

>Every one here strips houses of copper and steals copper every chance they get and it has gotten to the point where you need a license and proof of where you got the copper to be able to sell it for scrap. It's sad. Copper is under $3 a pound and a ton of work to strip from places in the night illegally. I'm waiting for people to reliably find a source for tin since it's almost $8 a pound now for that and hasn't been hit hard around here in any way.
I guess it is the same as people collecting cans to redeem for the recycling $$$... but committing a crime and doing hard work for $2/lb is pretty retarded.

Copper prices have plunged and mines are being shut down/laid off but people still steal it?

You should get it tinned so it's actually safe to use. Should only cost you another $125 or so.

>not tinned
Enjoy your copper poisoning, Cletus.

Carbon steel and cast iron are the only good cooking metals. I have a set of copper bullshit from my grandmother but I use it for decoration.

Used to work for a power company. The stories of people breaking into substations for the massive coils of copper and gap wires.. People almost always got zapped dead. For copper scrap, against the warning of so many signs. Hell the humm of stations alone should be enough to make ya say naw fuck that

Those organic green pans are actually kind of neat. I use it to make my Veeky Forums crepes. Brotein powder and eggs with sugar free syrup. Fucking delicious and 80g protein breakfast.

I'd be more than willing to take those off your hands for you

Copper and stainless steel are fine as well desu

It doesnt leach copper unless you cook very acidic foods for long cook times.

>dat denial
Have fun as your hair turns green and your mental health deteriorates.

Unlined copper is for making candy and only making candy. What you have is a decorative pail, not cookware.

>taking heat transfer, have to design a basic heat exchanger
>go fuck it, use copper because it's typically used for that sort of thing and is about as good as you get before using precious metals
>look up copper sheet metal online, get shit like $1000 for 36' x 48'
>initially think it's some sort of super-pure copper or some shit, but can't find anything cheaper
>turns out I need $50k for copper in the exchanger

There's a reason druggies break into houses and steal the wiring.

Not the guy with the unlined pot, but I just did some googling and it seems making carnitas in unlined copper is a thing

Apparently they season it first:

youtube.com/watch?v=a35V8N7htvY

I look forward to the day when we have angry shitposting contests about the best way to season copper, but of course that will never happen because you guys are even poorer than Mexicans

>

So its fine material for a grill pan used with oven or stove-top?

>grill pan
(you)

titanium has a complete shit thermal conductivity, which is part of the reason why it's annoying to machine