Anyone make their own ice cream?

Anyone make their own ice cream?

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchenmccabe.com/2014/07/08/homemade-salted-caramel-ice-cream/
davidlebovitz.com/category/recipes/ice-creams-and-sorbets/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

amerilard detected

Sure, it's fun, especially if you have White Mountain hand crank ice cream freezer.

I make milk with lemon, cinamon and vanile ice cream, just some gelatin, mix every half an hour and done

Hell yeah, bought the ice cream attachment for my kitchen aid but I usually prefer sorbets because I have no idea what to do with the egg whites leftover.

I don't have fancy equipment just a hand mixer.

Nope. Unless it involves an electric ice cream maker and a premade mix it's not gonna happen. Tried it once before and it was an epic fail.

All the time. Making some vanilla and green tea right now.

Used to. I used a freezer-liquid-based ice cream maker. You know: the ones where you have to put the bowl into the freezer overnight or so to set the liquid in its walls? That.
Anyway, I made ice cream just until near the end of last year's ice cream season. I hired a cleaning lady and she washed the thing in hot water. Once that freezing-liquid is exposed to hot water for a while, it will never re-freeze again, thereby making the thing useless. Gonna buy a new ice cream maker Wednesday, though. Wanna try for the same model, but suggestions are welcome.

Pic related is purple yam (ubi) ice cream from last year.

This is a blue board user.

Kek
Really? I get by with just using whipping cream, condensed milk and fruit puree.

I've been making ice cream since I was a little kid. Never once have I used yolks in any of mine.

As for the whites, albumin freezes well, so just pour them into sandwich baggies or ice cube trays and stash them in the freezer for future use. You can use them to make a raft for clarifying stock or as a binding agent in making kebab meat (pic related: my homemade donair meat).

cocktails my friend

Dude, you're missing out. You essentially make a custard, then add more milk/cream and sugar to the mix. Its a richer flavor ice cream, and just feels "velvetier" if thats a way of explaining it. I alternate between regular milk and cream recipes with the egg yolk recipes.

I made an OC of cookie dough ice cream (with the egg yolk method) and it was largely ignored by Veeky Forums.

Once I made a coconut milk (dairy free) vanilla ice cream. It was alright, I'm going to try again with coconut milk, mint, and chocolate. The trick is finding the extra thick coconut milk to get a good consistency.

I usually leave them in a bowl and make an egg white omelette the next day. onions, peppers, sausage.

Alternatively, you could make meringue cookies to go with the ice cream.

I have, with coconut milk. Iceless churners are nice. But now I usually just make nicecream since it's quicker and healthier.

For anyone who is into this kinda thing:
Pint of heavy cream: $4
2 cups whole milk $2
Sugar $0.25
Vanilla bean $1 (less if you use vanilla extract, much less if you make your own)
6 eggs $2
Vanilla total $9.25 to make about a half gallon of ice cream using high quality ingredients that will blow away store bought in flavor, and will be up there with the really expensive ice cream shops, but for a fraction of the price.

2 cans coconut milk $2
4 eggs $1.50
Sugar $0.25
Vanilla Bean $1
Coconut milk vanilla total $4.75. Its a decent flavor.

Flavors per batch of ice cream are pretty cheap also, coffee ice cream or green teas are pennies, chocolate easily adds $5 if you use decent stuff. The extract flavors like mint are under $0.50 per batch. A $4 bottle can make 10 batches easily. Colorings are a similar story (green for mint choco chip, blue for superman, etc) Cookie dough (without eggs) is also another buck or two.

Before anyone complains about the prices, I'm using super high quality whole foods stuff that does taste better. You can use other brands for much lower prices, and it'll still taste much better than store bought.

How much Macha powder do you add per batch?

I don't brew my own macha tea, but typically speaking, substitute water for the necessary milk and brew as normal (time and temp) for flavor. This is nearly true for most green tea recipes. You do not want any tea left over prior to the churning process though.

Hey I have one of those suckas gathering dust in my pantry. I think I'll give it a shot. thanks Veeky Forums

I've got some salted caramel ice cream freezing right now to go with the blackberry pie I just made.

thekitchenmccabe.com/2014/07/08/homemade-salted-caramel-ice-cream/

How did you make your cookie dough? Just a normal chocolate chip cookie dough or something specific for ice cream? I've never been too sure about putting in that much raw cookie dough into an ice cream that will be around for a week.

Theres a special recipe that doesn't have eggs intended for eating as dough.

I eat raw egg cookie dough anyway.

I've had French ice cream (that's what we call ice cream made with yolks where I'm from), I've just never made it. Don't see much the point since I prefer our simpler ice cream in both taste and texture.

My basic recipe for fruit ice creams is as follows:
50-150g of sugar, depending on how sweet the fruit is
a pinch of salt
350-450g of fruit, depending on how fibrous it is
350ml of half-and-half (IE 175g each of cream and whole milk)

Blitz the sugar and salt together to powder. Makes it easier to mix into the base.
Add the fruit and half-and-half and blitz smooth.
Strain to remove lumps and fibre.
Chill a bit, then pour into the ice cream maker according to its instructions.

This makes about 1 litre/quart of ice cream.

For other sorts of ice cream, such as vanilla or coffee, it's recommended you add something to thicken the flavour base (IE not the half-and-half part). You can use eggs, but I don't. Believe it or not, a little cornstarch or agar-agar slurry works surprisingly well and is what I prefer to use. Sounds gross, I know, but it really does work.

For vanilla, for example: gently heat 300ml of skimmed milk with two scraped vanilla pods, 100g of sugar and a pinch of salt. Save the vanilla pods to flavour sugar or liquor.
Shake 50ml of skimmed milk with 1-3 tsp of cornstarch or agar-agar powder to dissolve and, when the sugar is dissolved into the vanilla-infused milk, stir the slurry in.
Off the heat and allow to cool, then chill in the fridge overnight or freezer for a couple of hours.
Mix with 350ml of half-and-half and run it through the ice cream machine.

For coffee, I use instant coffee or brew ground coffee, double-strength, in skimmed milk using a press pot or manual pour over (heat the milk and use it in place of water), then proceed as the vanilla above.

what? unless its a one time thing with friends or some shit like that why would you wanna do that? i mean, not even if youre poor.

Here you go senpaitachi

davidlebovitz.com/category/recipes/ice-creams-and-sorbets/

Not all the milk, right? You don't want to end up with a solid block of green tea ice. Or are you talking about recipes where you mix milk and cream, so you keep the cream?

Would it be possible to brew the tea in milk? I'm not sure if it's okay to get it warm enough that it would work, or if there's something else that would mess it up.

I don't understand your question, but you steep the tea in milk for the color and flavor, then make ice cream as normal with the steeped teamilk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't matcha specifically made with powdered tea that you dissolve in water? Be that the case, wouldn't making it like 's coffee ice cream recipe, only swapping the instant coffee with matcha be perfect for it? I don't know as I've never made matcha ice cream. I have, however, made Thai tea ice cream. I brewed the Thai tea powder in skim milk and strained, just as the other coffee ice cream method mentioned in that same post. Came out quite nice.

>I'm not sure if it's okay to get it warm enough
Nigga do you even Pasteur?

I got to use an anti-griddle a few months ago, it was really fun, my ice cream turned out like ass though. Texture was all wrong.

I tried way way back in the day, like in the late 80s, to try making some, but it turned out just as bad. I don't even remember how bad it turned out.

What you made was frozen milk. Ice cream needs to be churned as its frozen.