London food

hey Veeky Forums, I'm in London now. Where should I eat? I'm here for the next 7 days

pic irrelevant

Last I was there I had some great Chinese food in the Asian quarter. Look for the restaurants that have actual asian customers.

Should have mentioned that I'm from NY. Looking for something that I can't get there.

Tottenham court road for tasty shit.
Camden market if you want asian cuisines in cardboard boxes served by little asian women shouting angrily that you want their chicken.
Covent garden area if you have no taste and just want chain restaurants.
There's greasy spoons all around the old financial districts for breakfast. I've never found them, but just follow the people with toolbelts and high-vis stuff.

Oh man you're fucked. London is the most overpriced city in Britain for food.

That said, try Ceviche in Soho, the Rib Man, Brick Lane (choose wisely, though), the Borough Market, Tamarind, Bao, and Slow Richie's.

If you are not a poor pleb, go to Rules.

Pie, mash, liquor.
If you don't have it you might as well eat in your own town and just have the a £3.00 meal deal from any supermarket for every meal.

>OP Asks for bongfood.
>Bongs tell him to eat the same shit he can get in NY.
>Diversity has raped the British identity that hard.
You're an embarrassment to your ancestors, all of you.

Are you under the impression that ethnic food is the exact same everywhere? Also the post right before yours mentions a unique British meal. Flyover, pls leave. No one wants your opinion.

Portobello road, Portobello road
Street where the riches of ages are stowed.
Anything and everything a chap can unload
Is sold off the barrow in Portobello road.
You’ll find what you want in the Portobello road.

You make the mistake of thinking any of us consider London British. It is 43% English at this point. The city is lost.

Bugger off cunt.

I don't think there's much that you couldn't find in NY, but a pie and few pints in a proper pub couldn't hurt. For a cheap drink, Sam Smiths are a chain that are all in lovely old buildings, do all their own booze, and don't play music. The food is nothing special though. Whereabouts are you staying? You can get anywhere in about an hour anyway, but I might be able to recommend some specific pubs.

Do you get many kebab places over in America? Stoke Newington High Street has a bunch of "proper" Turkish ocakbasi places (not 3am drunk fuel).

Wong Kei if you want a semi-famous Chinese eatery in the middle of town.
New World for old school trolley service dim sum.
Vivat Bacchus does a good steak, and they've got a temperature controlled cheese room that you can go in and select a platter from.
Rodizio Preto does Brazilian style all you can eat meat.
Belgo is a giant moules frites place.

user is right that you should exercise caution if you go to Brick Lane, it's a shadow of its former glory.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Are U a gril

Now that's what I call a fresh meme. Let's get Fazolis while we are here.

re-faz

for faz sake.

Ronny McDonny's Burgerhaus

Go to nandos. It's legit tastier than all the other overpriced shitholes.

Best Indian food in the world gets made in London.

Order with gin and tonic. Very good Tandori in London.

Wew lad a bit of cheeky Nandos for the ladies?

Where, I couldn't say specifically. But maybe pick up some groceries at places like Harrods or Fortnum & Mason. They'll be expensive.

For the hotel room:
Stilton cheese
Wensleydale cheese
Real mature cheddar, should be yellow and crumbly and smellable at five paces, comes in uncut blocks
Chutney
Hard toffee
Jam doughnut
Uncut loaf of local bread

Restaurant/gastropub:
Full English breakfast
Steak and kidney pie
Bangers n' mash
Kippers and eggs
Beef Wellington
Toasted cheese and ham sandwich
Kedgeree
Afternoon Tea (c. 4pm), crustless watercress sandwiches and scones ("skonnz") with darjeeling or earl grey tea, no milk or sugar

You might go to a fancy place, order a more formal multi-course dinner (pseudo-French stuff) and order some port afterwards.

Pub/cocktail bar:
Hard cider (scrumpy)
Stout that isn't Guinness
Pimm's (it's more of an outdoorsy summer cocktail thing; same cultural role as a mint julep)
Scotch without import taxes (but plenty of "you're drinking this in London" taxes)
Gin and tonic
Horse's neck (young brandy and ginger ale with a lemon twist)
Jamaican rum with lime juice

Go to the needoo grill in East London and have some delicious paki curry. Go to barrafina for ome decent spanish food because you can't get that in New York. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal if you can afford it, Rules restaurant for proper toff brit experience and otherwise chippies, pie shops and gastropubs.

Some good suggestions on here OP.

Of course you need to do a decent chippy and for a good breakfast, try to find a greasy spoon cafe (as another user said - usually full of workmen).

Wetherspoons Pubs are usually good for beer and food and not overpriced either, try and find one.

Pop into a cheeky Nandos for lunch at some point too.

London was founded in Roman times. It is the city of taking money off foreigners. It never WAS majority british, except during the war. It's foreigner containment.
The M25 isn't just a motorway. It's a wall to keep them in. You'll note that they don't tend to get much further out than Slough.

>Wetherspoons Pubs are usually good for beer and food and not overpriced either, try and find one.
No they aren't. Go for an independent pub, they're pretty good if they're still open.
Hard to find a decent chippy in London, because the best ones are Up North where all the fishing boats go.

>Go for an independent pub, they're pretty good if they're still open.
London city centre pubs are not real pubs mate, you have to get well outside the capital for that.

>Hard to find a decent chippy in London, because the best ones are Up North where all the fishing boats go.
*All the fishing boats USED to go!

OP only has 7 days in London . . .there is no doubt that if they had a longer visit, it would be best to find decent country pubs and decent chippies well away from London.

Check out the Michelin star restaurants. There's so much competition in London that it's much cheaper than the Michelin star restaurants in the USA. Look for the pre-theatre and lunch menus.

Also, the afternoon teas. There's almost always a good deal for afternoon tea. Look a bit online around for some. Personally, I like the Hilton afternoon teas but the hotels aren't that nice. For atmosphere, the Café Royal is decent. The Oscar Wilde bar has nice afternoon teas. There's also the newly opened The Café too that sounds interesting.

The thumb makes those looks like jalapenos in gram cracker crumbs.

This

2Pie, 1 mash and liquor and a can of coke.

ANY FM MANGAAL/MANGAAL

PROPER GREASY SPOON CAFE ( ANYWHERE IN SOUTH)

Thanks, professor Emelius Browne

>*All the fishing boats USED to go!
Whitby still has fishing boats and a market. And the best chippy innaworld.
Grimsby is where all my fish is delivered to and then from. You're literally able to order what fish you want hauled out the sea now.

And yeah, London pubs are going to be expensive and sub-par, but 'the countryside' is less than an hour of of London by train.

Bukowski in brixton has the best ribs I've ever tasted. Also other grill things. Pretty cheap.

Go to Spittalfields Market. Its a brilliant place
There is a Portuguese 'tapas' place there called Taberna do Mercado. It's absolutely brilliant and unique. Have the endive and orange salad and some queijo da serra

>in the Asian quarter

I don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

It depends where in London you are mate, it's a big city.

Dishoom's a great curry place and they have a few shops all over.
Chicken Shop in Kentish Town
A full english with black pudding
Get some fucking pie&mash too.
Other than that, UK/London food isn't really much different to what you'd find in any major city-it's just that there's everything.
If you end up in East after a night out get some pizza in Dalston, but don't worry too much about it.

Sloane Square

OP you are doing a big disservice, if you don't post your meals back here. Pics please.

Dishoom - Parsi food (Think Persian/Indian fusion)

Meat Liquor - Good burgers and wings also not too expensive

Padella - Pasta bar by London Bridge, Handmade pasta, really delicious. Try the 8 hour beef shin ragu.

Hoppers - Sri Lankan food, Well spiced but not blow your head off spicy.

Kanada-Ya - Best ramen in London in my opinion.

Jidori - Yakitori restaurant, fairly pricey but very good. Their dessert, the ginger ice cream, is possibly the best dessert I've had this year.

Kitty Fisher's - Upscale restaurant, expensive but has one the best steaks I've eaten. Galician beef from dairy cows that have stopped giving milk, the cows can be anything up to 17 years old when slaughtered, the age of the meat just gives it a quality other found in other beef

Poco tapas bar - Serve a delicious menu, changing daily. Everything is sourced locally. No air miles on your food.

Ellory - Excellent food, go for the taste. not to fill up. Fantastic wine selection though.

Patty & Bun - Arguably the best burger in London

Don't eat the curry.

Was it stir-fry, but over chips instead of rice?

Balls and Company - Meatballs and only meatballs, done well.

Bao - I think the trend for Baos dtarted in new york. I haven't had those ones but this place is definitely worth visit, expect to queue though.

Shak-fuyu - Korean/Japanese food? I can't tell. It's fucking delicious though.

L'antica Pizzeria, Hampstead - Traditional Neapolitan style pizza, My favourite pizza in London.

Shotgun - good American BBQ in London? Don't mind if I do.

Bull & Last - Gastropub serving my favourite Sunday Roast

Smokehouse - My second favourite roast in London.

Tayyab's - great indian food. BYOB as an added benefit.

Mangal Ocackbasi - Get the Kofte Kebab. Fucking awesome.

The Ledbury - Do you like tasting menus? These guy's do an amazing one. very expensive though.

St John's - One of the most influential restaurants in London. Started the London culinary revolution.

donna margherita on lavender hill is one of the best trattorias in the country

got to have a brick lane beigel, salt beef with mustard and pickle - and if you want the best experience get it at 1 am and climb on the parking meter on the railway bridge to get onto the wall running alongside the tracks

tell chinatown to fuck off

e pellicci for a proper east end cafe for sunday breakgfast

go to acklam village market in notting hill get something from there or a boom burger and stroll along portobello road

go to duck and waffle at 4 am and eat oysters

patty and bun is shit

dishoom is mediocre but their brunches are nice

I really like patty and bun. What would you recommend over them? Interested in trying a better burger.

for londony places i prefer the sebright arms or dirty burger

Been to Dirty Burger, Liked it.

Never heard of the Sebright Arms though. Will be sure to give them a go. Thanks

Tooting broadway, trust me. Best indian in London. Haleem (slooooow cooked lamb) from Masaledar is the one

>South of the river

Do I look like I have a deathwish?

South is almost totally gentrified ..enjoy

I swear to Christ that if you go to Lahore Kebab House you will not be dissatisfied. Its fucking amazing.