Shit smells amazing

Shit smells amazing.

Who knew?

I did faggot, now piss off.

Can someone explain the difference between young vs old ginger? Which should I use for what type of food?

except one is galangal and the other one is ginger.

except it isn't you fucking moron

The only real difference is that young ginger is costlier and less fibrous. That's about it, really. That said, I buy brined young ginger and use that instead of fresh because the taste is nearly the same and, unlike fresh ginger, it keeps nearly forever.

>who knew
well

>Make your own ginger beer
>part of the process involves shredding 1 pound per gallon of it

also don't get this shit in your cuts. It hurts like a mother fucker

>Who knew?
about 3 billion asians

Except it is.
The other user is correct.
The left photo is galangal

t. Cambodian

Old ginger is a hotter flavour. Age brings out the peppery quality.
Young ginger is milder.

Also there are several types of ginger, excluding galangal. In Khmer, Thai, Lao and Viet Cooking we use the everyday ginger but there's others like lesser ginger, claw ginger, and stuff I don't know how to say in English.
The flavour is much the same but the application in cooking is different.
I could post a few recipes if anyone's interested?

Old ginger is featured often in Chinese/Asian mythology.

You get something like 1000 year old Ginger as one of the ingredients for various immortality potions or pills.

Certain kung fu movies will reference 1000 year old Ginger.

I'm interested. Please post them.

>ginger

go ahead mate

This is lesser ginger.
It's difficult to find in the west

This is a basic Khmer curry paste using it

This is amok soup you make from the paste.

If you use regular ginger instead it gets too spicy and destroys the subtle fish flavour

Here are the 3 major Khmer bases.
Much the same as Thai Kangs.
Rhizome is krachai

The Lao galangal powder is roasted and pestled in a bokbok. But there's a trick. Get dried freshwater fish and pestle that so you get half a teaspoon of fish powder and half a teaspoon of green mango powder add these to half a cup of powder galangal and store for use.

We use this thing too as do Malays and Indonesians called Salum. It's called 'leaf ginger'
It's like a big curry leaf.
We use it to wrap around the pestle and the flavour releases during pounding.
It's like a mix between cinnamon and ginger.

>Watching with baited breath
Interesting stuff so far, Cambodianon.

Noice. Any more of these?

yeah, have a slice.

>amok soup
lol
That's not amok at all. Amok is a steamed dish with fish, kroeung and prahok wrapped in banana leaves. The prahok solidifies, kind of like eggs do when heated.
That soup is somlor machu kroeung trey. Are you even Khmer? Whoever the fuck wrote that book clearly fucking isn't. Goddamn lopp barang.

And zero flyover scum
Daily reminder that "go eat a vegetable" is an insult here on Veeky Forums

I have never heard of any of this food I just googled this stuff and the google images came up with diarrhoea looking stuff in coconuts. so what is it fried eggs or gruel? It does not look like fucking finger food. Typical shitskin slop.

Reword your post in a less profoundly stupid way so that we can understand what in the dickfuck you're trying to explain or ask, thanks.

>dickfuck

Protip: if you are hellbent on responding to 12 year olds try not to sound like one.

Bump

Fuck you OP, I passed out from the smell and my mom found me almost drowned in the toilet, now I'm in the hospital with tubes in my nose.

I use young ginger as a vegetable, thinly sliced in vast quantaties and stir fried with beef strips

In India liking raw ginger is actually a sign of a mature palate. To the extent that a popular idiom translates to "what does a monkey know of the flavour of ginger" which is used when referring to someone being too uncultured to enjoy something.