Manuka Honey

Is this stuff just snake oil?

What's your opinion on Manuka Honey?

Other urls found in this thread:

webmd.boots.com/vitamins-and-minerals/manuka-honey
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Complete bollocks.

I've also heard that if you eat honey from your local area it helps aid against hay fever. That seems to make more sense than the magical Manuka bullshit.

>food is bollocks
Are you saying there isn't honey in the jar, or what?

What's with the hyper reactive crazies on Veeky Forums who think any food other than hamburgers is some kind of new age conspiracy?

Op clearly means its alleged healing properties.

I'm talking about the fact it's £20 a jar in supermarkets and it has zero scientifically proven benefits.

You're basically just paying for super expensive sweetener.

That's what OP means by snake oil.

>You're basically just paying for super expensive sweetener.
What's your opinion on the nutritional benefits of standard honey, or lack thereof?
Or do you only have opinions when things tick you off?

>all sweeteners taste the same
I've never had op's brand but good honey is worth the extra few dollars over generic industrial sweeteners

I'm sorry you're too poor for nice things and have you spend so much time complaining about them

Snake Oil is something that has fraudulent medical claims. You're paying a premium for something which has supposed 'healing' properties defined by a scale of UMF. The higher the UMF content the better the 'healing' properties.

This has nothing to do with taste. You can buy great tasting honey from local farms. This is just honey imported from New Zealand and sold in health food shops.

OP is asking whether there are any benefits to eating Manuka honey compared to other types. Which they aren't. You're just paying for an expensive sweetener.

So it's worse than other honeys?

Or it just ticks you off to a greater degree?

#logicalarm

So you're just going to stop eating honey because of something a hippie said that may or may not be true?

Or, it it that you've never actually eaten good honey because maybe the label said "natural" and that reminded you of something tangentially related that set you off?

How do people like you function? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a jerk or anything.

Manukah honey is supposed to have alot more nutrients and contain natural antibiotics, so its regarded as medicine instead of just food.

That being said, unprocessed, local honey contains all of the nutrients of the local plants.

You can actually buy pure bee pollen nowadays, which is considered a natural multivitamin. It even tastes like flintstones vitamins if you get it fresh.

so this special honey is marketed as a drug, but raw local honey is already expensive as fuck, so I don't see why honey from a different region would cost more...i guess because of import taxes, but if you have access to local i dont see why youd waste your money

unless, of course, its like that Himalayan honey that gets you wasted because its made from the pollen of datura plants...

No, support local honey.

Are you fucking retarded or do you not understand what I'm saying?

I don't dislike or not eat honey, I never said that. I said that the claims being made about Manuka honeys healing powers are absolute bollocks. The premium you're paying isn't for any taste it's for the supposed health benefit.

Instead of wasting money on Manuka honey but a good local honey instead. Some websites charge upwards of £50 for this stuff and it's absolutely ridiculous that people buy it because they think it has some magician healing powers.

It's on the same level as juice plus, bootea and all of these other 'superfood' products. It has nothing to do with the taste, it's just false marketing to naive people who think eating this will cure their acne.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Nobody thinks it has magical healing powers, user.

You must be that guy who thinks "eat kale" is an insult.

Money can't buy good honey. I'm friends with apiarists. The good shit they keep to themselves and friends, the crap they sell at farmers markets, and the shit even hipsters won't buy they put a cheap paper label on it and sell to mega commercial distributors like the one seen in op and bought by le premium shit retards like you.

>the good shit
Does it cure your autism at double speed or something?

It can cure acute gastritis pretty quickly, this I can personally testify. Not really sure about other health benefits.

I bought the Wedderspoon one, shit's like $40, not something a poorfag like me can eat on a daily basis anyway.

man I wish I had (apiarist) friends

Are you stupid or just trolling here?

Nurtricionally Makuna honey is exactly the same as normal honey. You don't get any extra vitamins. It's not like this an argument between the benefits of eating spinach over iceberg lettuce.

It's marketing and fabricated information to shill and a jar of sugar and pretend it can cure infections.

They often come labelled with 'Dr. Faggot's Miracle Honey', 'Detox Honey' and loads of other misleading titles.

It's called the placebo effect mate. You got shilled out of $40.

No one has even mentioned the ingredient that makes Manuka honey special: Royal Jelly

>nobody thinks it has healing powers
>3 paragraph ass blasted rant about how everyone thinks it has healing powers
Have you considered psychiatric help, user?

You're being trolled hard by some retarded nigger, step back and relax.

What's it like to have aspergers? I've heard Manuka honey can cure that.

So it may or may not have magical healing proprieties. But does it taste good, compared to other non-unicorn-related honeys?
(The fad hasn't reached my area yet. Or maybe my circle of friends isn't into these bs.)

Where's your 30 page rant about all these hippies trying to rape you with mankuna honey? You're disappointing.

t. Mankuna shill

p.s. pls send money

Regardless of what anyone says in this thread, there are studies that show manuka honey is especially full of antibacterial properties, they THINK because of the manuka plant. From what I've read, it is definitely true that manuka honey contains more of these properties due to higher concentrations of MG. Which is short for a big ass word I don't know. Like this webmd link says, the higher the conecntrations of MG, 'the stronger the effect.'

webmd.boots.com/vitamins-and-minerals/manuka-honey

I've also read it is extremely helpful in killing bacteria in the mouth. It is supposedly a lot more efficient and effective than xylitol, which is found in most toothpastes to prevent tooth decay. Also in trident gum, don't let your dog eat it, they are allergic.

This is what I've read and unless they are just lying, which is possible, I'm more apt to believe webmd than some dick on Veeky Forums saying it's hippie bullshit without any research or sources to back it up.

There's a lot of confusion over the stuff. There's only a small amount which actually contains the active UMF.

As a New Zealander, it's cool to see some fellow NZers scamming foreigners. Just use regular honey desu.

Wait til they hear about the cancer curing properties of NZ wool...

Didn't you hear, living in New Zealand makes your invincible.

you are literally being trolled

Are apiarists anything like horse girls?
I'm not sure having to sit through hour long rants, about how awesome bees are and how friend is so much better at raising bees than the industrial bee truckers, would be worth it for a bottle of nice honey.