Beer General

Old one on the way out so let me take charge once again. Drinking,buying, brewing, cellaring,waiting for?

Me? I go down the line of awesome beers from Bells! This one was on of the fullest lower abv stouts i had. What Guiness should be!

I bought Sierra Nevada 12 pack. Not sure if this is my kind of beer. I liked Shock Top more. What other beers should I try?

Blue moon

Got a couple bottles of this for tonight

Does ommegang put out affordable beer? Everything I've seen from them is in a bomber or a 10$+ 4 pack

yeah, their prices generally suck. I think this was like $8

Posted a few in the last one. Downing a sorachi ace now, will post next few as I have some nice brews.

Picked up a few bottles of this, £1.35 a bottle, nice crisp flavour to it,

Well you generally have to pay for quality and Ommegang is in my opinion the best brewery in the US
Did this just come out? I've had every other GoT beer

>Did this just come out?
Yeah, I happened upon some at the grocery store last week

great brewery, they make a nice dark beer too

I tried the Old Engine Oil, really nice, but cant really drink more than 2 bottles in a sitting, prefer Bitter & Twisted for that

I'm fine with paying for quality, but I feel like every brewery should have at least one or two affordable every day beers, not just a bunch of bombers and spendy 4 packs.

Bombers are a tremendous rip off.
A six pack has twice the amount of beer for the same or half the price. Only extremely high quality limited releases are worth dropping the money for.

Just going to drink one can for tonight.

New drinker here

What do you gents think of reds wicked apple ale? I have been drinking that the past few times I've drank recently. I grab the 24oz can

I also generally enjoy the flavor of Heineken

Where do you get your more specialty brews? I'd like to expand my beer palate, but idk where to start lmao

I never tried that drink before. I saw it today but I just pick up some blue moon. Maybe next time I will try it out.

I like what I've had of it. Its quite tart and also sort of sweet. I prefer the black cherry, and I've had the mango, and apple flavors as well.

I have never had blue moon, next time I buy alcohol I'll try a can of that senpai

Ya blue moon is the bomb. Usually I drink corona or modelo but once in a while I try out something new. I am not a big fan of Heineken but it's ok.

Agreed. Also experimental stuff with peppers or different ingredients, a bomber is fine with me. Nice to share. I wish I could get non oaked 6 packs of arrogant bastard already. Not sure why that's so hard to find when the bombers are in every store I go to

Bought it for the glassware, but the beer is definitely not bad either. Quite subtle smoke, blends well with the porter flavour.

>General

Pretty shit desu

>What do you gents think of reds wicked apple ale?
I had it once, and it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tried.

>Where do you get your more specialty brews?
Grocery store, liquor store, brewery.

I can't shake the feeling this is a same fag trying to troll /beer/.

Gotta get that elliot ness brah

What beer is closest to 805? I live in the Midwest but visited a cousin in SLO, and he introduced me to one of the nicest beers I ever tasted.

Sucks that you can't get 805 anymore. It's a pretty good California macro.

Just drank a pint of Backmasking by 3 floyds.

Pretty good. Not too special but still a good brew. got me buzzed so that's nice.

I hear a lot about Great Lakes. We don't get them in Florida, so I was pumped to try their DIPA at a bottle share over the weekend. I was so let down. I'd like to know how fresh it was because it was a huge malt bomb more like a shitty barleywine imo.

How the fuck do I drink beer without having to throw up, Jesus Christ I can't even handle a goddamn sixpack

Kona big wave is usually the same price and I think it tastes better

Ive always had a sweet tooth and this is excelently priced for what it is. I could never justify paying 2-3€ for brewdog or other somesuch shit.

Had this tonight, not the first time though. Great DIPA, but at 9.2% you can really taste the alcohol.

I'm loving this stuff. Any recommendations for other wheat beers?

So I tried some of this just to see what it was like and I'm seriously wondering if the batch went bad or something. It smells and tastes strange.. more so than I was expecting.

$10-12 for a 4-pack of high abv beers honestly isn't that bad man. Most imperials I find around here that are reasonably priced go for around that.

It's not beer, but I've just bottled some mead today.

I also have some bottles of cider which are carbonating. I'll try it out later this week.

Weihenstephaner is the obvious one and almost everywhere to get.
My favorites are Ayinger Bräuweiße, Unertl and Augustiner Weißbier.

finishing off my stock

I hate that 805 is actually a decent beer, but everyone here drinks it because it's a meme and I just fucking hate people who have no taste but drink things because they're good

I brought some to a friends once and poured it into his cup and he thought it was Bud Platinum

Growler of North High Jalalima, a Jalapeno Lime beer. Anyone in the 614 area code should check it out, because it's the best chile beer ever.

Yeah I know that, I'm just saying it'd be nice if they put out a 6 pack of something for summer that wasn't over 10$, like pretty much every other brewery does. Like a decent low abv wit or something. I love ommegang but hate paying so much for their stuff

If you're from the Midwest try and get your hands on some gumball head by 3 floyds or wiezengoot by bier brewery. Both are GOAT, but the gumball head is more a wheat than a wiezen

Nice glass man

After a shift at the brewery, it's nice to just drink something I know will always be good. Perfectly balanced imo.

You might like German beers. Try Weihenstephaner Originel or their Hefeweizen if you get a chance. Original is easy drinking and the Hefeweizen is a much better wheat based beer than Shock Top.

Ayy, chapin.

Never heard of it but that can art is pretty sweet senpai.

Kellerweis from Sierra Nevada is nice, and if you can get it in your area, Fortunate Islands from Modern Times is a GOAT hoppy wheat.

Magic Rock is a pretty new UK brewery, so they may not much of distribution in The States yet (assuming that's where you're from). Their can art is all neat tho.

Good choice on the Dale's as well, such a nice beer. Have you had their Pinner Throwback IPA? So good.

Weihenstepfaner and Schneiderweise for wheat beers. absolutely GOAT

Magic Rock have been going for years, they've just recently had a massive cash injection so they're able to brew more and distribute further more easily. Good stuff though.

Today at work I am brewing something pale that's meant to be a single hop Azacca beer but I'm finding that hop bland on its own so it's being blended with Amarillo, Cascade and Sorachi.

At the weekend I will be home brewing a Citra and mango beer and, time permitting a stout/porter with lactose and a method of adding coffee that I've pinched off Ballast Point

It amazes me how plebeian Veeky Forums is with beer. We have the collective taste and knowledge of beer that is comparable to a music fan that reads rolling stone

Some beer threads are better than others. This one is mostly shit.

Pretty decent quad. Also like the gnome on the glass.

It's all subjective, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's been ages since I had a beer that I would definitively class as "bad", but I've had plenty I thought were a bit dull and bland etc. People take beer far too seriously a lot of the time.

Post your breakfast beer

I tried Guinness Draught for the first time. I suppose i could see myself getting it again if i wanted a stout but not something heavy.

It was kind of dissapointing and watery.

My experience too, I hate being dragged to mock Irish pubs where they almost inevitably only have Guinness, Kilkenny and a few other shite domestic macros on tap, and are usually dives to boot, and not the cosy kind.

W-Wednesday night

Take 2

Why side flippy

Guess I tempted fate with this comment. Had a small taste of a beer at my local and it was utterly rammed with diacetyl and manky esters which is impressive as elevated fermentation which produce esters should reduce diacetyl. The mind boggles

Just got a bottle of this at the grocery store

Bretty good, canned about five days ago.

Oh yeah, their entire year round line up is good. Pinner is easy drinking.

Why so sad, it is Wednesday. Also it's my weekend. Weekend work is messing up my entire schedule. :^(

i don't know this is right thread for question,
is budwiser is meme?

Made some grilled pork and some spinach for dinner. This paired well with it, super roasty coffee and chocolate forward. Their year round lineup is pretty tits.

Drank this tonight, really tasty. Very easy to drink.

finishing a Grimbergen. Surprisingly good late discovery, could compete with Trappists in "fullness". belgiumfag.

Back with this years Curmudgeon. One of the beers i always look forward to each year!

Bumping best thread. Post your state. Nc reporting

It's so fucking good. Anyone else tried it? It seems like most people know about Hobgoblin but never King.

I'll have to try these again. When I first got into beer I tried some stuff from them and it tasted pretty bland.

King's basically Hobgoblin but much stronger, richer and smoother. Goes down great. Wychwood's getting better, but I'm not bothered about the majority of their stuff (Firecatcher is great for the first bottle but is too sweet to stick with all night)

Get out

Anyone tried mead? Don't know where to get hold of any.

You're not missing out, but if you really want to try some you could easily make it at home or just ask any decent liquor store. The section is usually small and easily missed. The one I go to has it near the sake and shit

What's so bad about it? Is it more beer or wine?

It's not bad, it's just not very good. At least the stuff currently on the market isn't. Homemade stuff is alright. It's a honey wine

California, working at H24.
>tfw post work pints are free
Hopefully I'll be working at SN soon.

Why are are craft breweries so obssesed with IPAs? Is it a meme? I dont get it. Like every one and their mother has a million IPAs and maybe one stout or porter.

It pisses me off.

>manky esters
The fuck is that?

>elevated fermentation which produce esters should reduce diacetyl
Source?

I wish more breweries made dark ale, real dark ale. So many in England are pale ales/amber ales with fairytale fantasy names and a woodland creature on the sticker. Wychwood are average taste-wise but they have a good collection of dark beer.

>not anchor brewing

King's great. Apparently it's only brewed on a full moon too.

So, I've been on a real high abv beer kick for the past few months. Imperial stouts, IPA's, higher abv barley wines and Belgians, you name it.

It's to the point where I find it hard to enjoy anything sub 7%, and prefer 9-12%ers. Has anyone else gone through this?

It's killing me in terms of calories...

fuck off retard

that's called alcholism. abv has nothing to do with the quality of the beer

what's it like? I've had Backwoods Bastard and a decent amount of other Founders beers but Old Curmudgeon sounds like it'd be very sweet.

I only drink on weekends and max out on two beers a night.

How is that alcoholism?

I honestly tend to find heavier beers more enjoyable in terms of flavor.

First time trying this one

This is wrong. There is a reason some of the worlds most renowned beers, such as Westvleteren and KBS, are high ABV. There is a significant difference in how high abv beers taste and can be enjoyed as compared to 4-6% beers.

Now, if you're cracking back 5+ a day, then yes, you have a problem. But trying to say pleb pisswater is as good as a hearty high abv ale, and abv doesn't have anything to do with quality, is objectively wrong.

You're fine, and that's normal. I graduated from stouts to imperial stouts a while ago, and it's a natural progression. Same with other styles. It's nice to try out new lower abv beers too though.

KBS is meme shit. Old Rasputin, Kentucky Bastard, Narwhal, basically every other RIS on the planet blows it out of the water.

Look at any rating site, seems most people go through that stage when they discover craft beer, alongside being a bit of an evangelist.

I like every beer you listed there, and still think KBS is probably the best. Old Rasputin is my favorite out of them though, and likely the most drinkable. KBS is great, but too heavy to enjoy too often.

A lot of things conspire towards it. One, is they're relatively easy to make. They don't take up capacity for a long brewing cycle, and while you can legit make a great one, you can also mask flaws in the hops or brewing by just hopping the shit out of beer.

Also, they are just really popular. Lots of people like them for the actual flavor of hops, lots of people like them because they see IBUs as a challenge, lots of people like them because they think they're supposed to, since they're the big thing.

While I'm a malt-forward guy, the varied flavors of hops allow for more clearly distinct variation across the style than you can accomplish from, say, one porter to another. So there's a variety appeal.

Lots of brewers like to make them because, despite the I in the name, they see it as a distinctly-American product that they can overload the shit out of and do crazy things with.

It's basically just the perfect confluence of demand (defensible and unfortunate) and ease of production.

Old Rasputin is one of the most overrated things this planet has to offer. I do like it, but people calling it the best RIS, or saying it's better than KBS (which is also overrated, but still) is just offensive to me.

>lots of people like them because they think they're supposed to, since they're the big thing.
I've never seen any evidence given for the "tyhey're only pretending!" meme, it stinks of an autistic inability to relate with people with different tastes.

KBS isn't a Russian imperial stout

I have absolutely seen it. I'm not saying it's the majority, but it happens with lots of shit. Beer included.

>westy 12 and kbs
>good

I used to try out different craft beers, then I realized it's all just hipster queer shit. Just drink whatever gets you drunk, faggots. Pic related