ITT: Over-hyped ingredients with underwhelming tastes

ITT: Over-hyped ingredients with underwhelming tastes

Why is "underwhelming" the criticism of choice among you fat ne/ck/beards?

Do you expect to be overwhelmed by your food at all times?

It hardly adds anything to the taste, and you really can't justify its ridiculous price ($2,000/lb).

No, but if you're eating something special you expect the experience to be really delicious. It's not like you're eating truffles like bread.

ITT: someone who has obviously never had truffles pisses and moans about truffles.

You can say you don't like the taste, sure, but to say it's "underwhelming" when it is quite literally the opposite (IE overpowering as fuck), proves that you've never had them.
I don't like truffles because people tend to overdo them. Just a few shaves of'em and I'm good. I don't need a whole fucking thing dried out and grated onto my pasta. That's overkill. No fuckin' thank you.

Even summer truffles, which are cheap as fuck at like 39€/kg, are really rather strong-tasting.

I'm not really into truffles either, but you seem like the kind of guy who might be in the habit of dumping crystal brand hot sauce all over his food at home, and when he's at a restaurant brings his own hot sauce container.

I've had this amazing wild rice dish that had shaved white truffles over it. It was astounding. Everything in moderation.

What are truffles? Are they like mushrooms?

Wut happen if I take a whole bulb/piece/root/fuck-idk, top it off w/ a dot of siracha and chew it down??

>white truffle
Oh, you fancy, huh?

I've had quite a number of truffle types in my short time on this earth, but I ain't try no white ones yet. Ever have smooth truffles? They're pretty cheap (in comparison to white ones, anyway: 450€/kg) and I hear they taste the same as white. Having never had white truffles, I can't speak from experience here, but smooth ones taste similar to summer truffles with an almost chive-y taste going for it, too.
Had them shaved into a risotto. Pretty good.

For as much hype as we give it... The flavor actually leaves a lot to be desired. And I should know, I've had my fair share.

You'd spit it out soon after due to its overpoweringly strong flavour. It's one of those 'less is more' sorts of foods.

I wanna try some of the American varieties of truffles, but seeing as they're uncommon to find for sale even in their own country, I doubt they'll ever be seen much in the rest of the world. :-(

Flan? Not an ingredient, add what flavor you like. I like raspberry extract.

Avocado, also sour cream makes what ever I put it on taste bland, why all the hype

>doesnt like avocado
>doesnt like sour scream
Confirmed shit taste hater of all mexican food.

Oh honey

Boss, I'll need to have that some time.

>he can't read

Not true user, Mexican food is my favorite. Honestly. I'd eat fajitas and tacos every day if I could.
I try both every year or two, but the flavors are bland.
I learned to read, what you gettin at?
Avocado and sour cream are way popular and lacking flavor.

Bit I really do want to like avacado, anything I could try, that's not guac, anons?

Grill it and spread it on toast

You may not like truffles, but I would never consider them "underwhelming".

You would be put to death, plebeian.

>gramps lives in the mountains
>truffle hunter asks him to be his guide to find black truffles
>gets 2-3kg of truffles as compensation

My grandmother made the best pasta dish I've ever had, a couple of flakes, olive oil and a few other ingredients that I can't remember. Either your truffles weren't prepared right or you have shit taste.

this nigga is right, i like tiny pieces of truffles in my pasta that blend in with the sauce but every restaurant basically hides the pasta under layers of truffel slices to give the impression of an upscale place.

Going to have to disagree with you on this one friendo
Some of the best risotto I've eaten had black truffle added in

>>gets 2-3kg of truffles as compensation

What the fuck would he even do with that many truffles before they went bad? They only keep for a few days at most once they come out of the ground.

Invited a shit load of family+friends and had a feast. Also canned a bunch and gifted it to people. Gramps was a bro.

Dragonfruit, has absolutely no taste to it. Waste of 4 bucks

This. Use a mandolin to make thin slices. "Infusing" the truffle (cooking it in a sauce) also helps.
I add button mushroom to truffle dishes, it "dilute" the flavour in regular mushroom and make it better imo.

The flan picture is the cover of a semen recipe book.

Was it ripened?

Plenty of Mexican food doesn't have sour cream or avocado.

It's supposed to be served on shit, not as an ingredient.

Dragon fruit tastes like a superior kiwi with a more appetizing texture. You must of had unripened.

Underground mushrooms, more specifically a sac fungus rather than what mushrooms are classified as, their price comes from the their rarity as they grow underground under specific conditions and you need to search miles of land for them with the aid of pigs or dogs.