Be at very nice steakhouse ($150/plate) w/ in-laws

>Be at very nice steakhouse ($150/plate) w/ in-laws
>MIL orders Prime Grade Prime Rib
>Complains that it is "very fatty, gross and not lean"
>Asks for Heinz 57 and slathers Prime Rib in it
>FIL orders "Extra well done" NY Strip
>Comes out as charred leather
>Complains it is "dry and chewy"

Whats your dining out horror stories w/ friends and family Veeky Forums?

>going to a nice restaurant with baby boomers
You brought this on yourself. If I walk into a new restaurant and see it full of elderly white people, I turn 360 degrees and walk away.

Prime Rib is fucking disgusting. I ordered it once and couldn't finish it, literally a block of fat.

>boomers at a restaurant
>even once

One time someone ordered a well done steak, took forever to cook it seemed. Went to put the plate in the window and the plate caught the flip lid on the cooler and the steak fell behind the cooler.
I get on all four grab it and wash it under the running water, back on griddle 30 seconds. ORDER UP!
IF you don't care about eating shitty well done steak, why should I care either?

What a tragedy.

never happened

Last night I walked past this construction site and one of the ad banners used the same stock photo set as the OP (same people/table but from another angle). Weird thing to notice, kek.

>MUH RAW SLOB OF MEAT

>MHMMM SO BLOODY AND CHEWY

>troll thread

>go to McDonalds with family
>let each person give order
>do you want an apple pie with that?
>after every person orders!
>pay for meal
>sit down
>whole family eats their apple pie first
>dessert before the main course?
>my family is a bunch of yokels
>cry myself to sleep that night

Vengece is served

not like they could taste it anyway

>at outback with family because I'm not going to go to somewhere good with them
>drinking Jim beam
>brother asks me what to get to drink I order him the same thing I'm having
>coughing and complaining it's too strong
>I jokingly say "I forget you're not a man" he's openly gay
>mom chuckles
>he gets a blue coconut cocktail or something
>I get the ribeye med rare
>have to search for edible portions of it
>seasoning is shit
>cooked mediocre
>poor wine selection
>knife isn't sharp
>out of Jim beam but decently drunk at this point
>had to actually pay for that crap food

motherFUCK outback.

Order burgers at shitty chains, they can't fuck it up.

TRIGGERED

>poor """""people""""

This has every experience I've ever had at Outback, almost word for word.

I unfortunately have a friend and he and his wife for some reason seem to think Outback is like the pinnacle of dining. I even went once with them and her parents for a Sunday dinner to get the prime rib. It was probably the worst prime rib I've ever had. It was flavorless and tasted almost watery, had literally no seasoning at all. The best part though was when her dad ordered the prime rib and didn't realize it would be rare. He got his plate and proceeded to flip his shit about Outback trying to poison him with bloody meat and demanded that they bring it to him well done instead.

I had to have quite a few drinks to deal with that shit show.

>go to longhorn steakhouse with my father occasionally
>nothing special, we just like to get together and bond
>every time we go there when the waitress asks how he wants his steak, he says "as rare as you're allowed to cook it"
>the waitress brings back a literal piece of raw meat each time

>Out at dinner my parents
>Order a bunch of food
>Complaining right off the bat about shit
>Order food
>Not 2 minutes pass
>Try to engage on conversation
>They are looking at everyone else, complaining how the bread isn't here yet
>5 minutes pass
>Complaining about why food isn't here
>Food gets here
>Try to restart conversation
>They are complaining about minute details with the food
>Question if they can ever actually enjoy a meal out
I love my parents to death but I honestly hate going out to eat with them.

My gran would complain to the waiter or send something back no matter where we went, even to places she frequented all the time. EVERY TIME.

I've known people like that before. No matter where you go, they always complain about the most inane shit. It's like they're only happy if they can find something to complain about and find a way to shit in someone else's hat.

Sorry dude, my outback is fucking top tier

I got their NY Strip and it was fillet quality. Plus that bloomin' onion gets my dick hard.

Jesus christ.

A lot of the restaurant industry is catering to people who have no authority in their daily lives and want to feel like they matter to somebody, i.e. the waitstaff.

Explains a lot.

My mother is this way. I always find a reason why I can't go. Somtimes she'll try to tag along with me and my dad but we go to a hole-in-the-wall diner that serves pretty decent steaks and she can't stand it. She once wanted to take me to dinner for my bday and I told her I wanted to go to the diner with my dad. She flipped her shit and insisted we had to go to Saltgrass instead. The steaks were horrible and she complained cause her well done steak was chewy. Of course she couldn't pay because she was broke so my dad ended up paying $100+ for the privilege of eating shitty steaks and listening to my mother bitch.

>the waitress brings back a literal piece of raw meat each time
does he eat it?

mc donalds apple pies are so good hot and fresh

>waiting tables at fancy fuck restaurant
>special order of boar in this week
>chef cooking this boar to perfection
>shilling the hell out of it but it really is just great
>if they take the boar I recommend it med-rare
>it's really the only way to eat it
>it's bullshit leather past that
>and it's such good fucking meat you gotta eat it right
>try all my shill powers on getting people to order it med/rare when they order it
>usually get them with "well we can cook it more if you don't like it, but we can't uncook it"
>and it's some expensive meat so people go with it
>EVERYONE has loved it medrare
>except this one stubborn sob
>"I KNOW HOW I LIKE MY PORK DAMMIT DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! WELL DONE"
>fine faggot
>chef all "goddammit what faggot ordered me to turn this god given meat into shoe"
>give sob fag his burnt shit
>he of course bitches about it being tough
>god fucking hell
>demands free meal for his wasted time
>boh ask if anyone wants this expensive meat turned to trash
>nope, the mexican dishwasher had to eat dirt to get over the border into this country but even he won't eat this burnt shit
>internally rage

>$150/plate for fucking steak
lol yuppies

That Mexican is a good dude.

Shit like that should come with a waiver that you agree to when you overcook meat to order.

best way to convince people everything they know about steak is wrong is to cook them a perfect sous vide one without their input to doneness

or just never go out to eat where you foot the bill again

Of course he does

EVERY
FUCKING
TIME

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

Nice.

ebin :)

i don't care what your medical problems are, "not being a cunt" is pretty good life advice.

I work with people who think that chain places (applebees and outback specifically) are the pinnacle of dining as well.

Even when I was young and only at at chain places with my parents I knew they were shit.

You can insulate yourself from the shit if you go in knowing that 'complicated' dishes are almost guaranteed to be bad because everything comes out of a freezer bag.

Only order simple shit like burgers and salads with grilled chicken and you'll be OK mostly.

I don't take complaints over medium. I don't give a shit if they don't like it, they asked for it. They're going to pay for their shoe leather.

>ordering amuse
everyone got what they deserved here

Dude is cool.

I don't argue for shit. It's a waste of my time. I let the manager know and he can decide what to do. Manager figured fuck arguing with the asshole too but wouldn't give him a free meal. Let him get away with not paying the 50 bucks for the thrown away meat though.

Really he could make him pay, legally it's not even an issue. But you measure that 50 dollar loss to how much more time you'd lose fighting with that kinda fuck when you're busy with other restaurant shit. Could make a scene and ruin it for others too. So you just say fuck it, fuck him he'll leave and never come back so you just cut your losses.

God I'm glad I'm done with that place. Great money but uppity fuckers trying to get shit comped drove me insane.

>I KNOW THE OWNER WHAT'S YOUR NAME. GIMMIE FREE DESSERT AND THE BEST TABLE IN THE HOUSE DURING RUSH EVEN THOUGH I NEVER MADE A RESERVATION! REEEeEEE

Ugh fuck you you don't know shit. The owner and managers tell me beginning of the shift if someone they know is coming by that day. Hell first fucking week they gave me a rundown of everyone they actually know that might drop by and should get special treatment. And if they forget someone another waiter or the cook or hostess is gonna let me know "hey that's that guy the owner knows".

People that actually know the owner are actually nice as hell to me and tip great and don't need to say they know the owner.

Thi always happens if you're out with commoners.

Last time a group of 11 went to a very busy cafe on a bank holiday. Everyone was loudly moaning after 30 minutes...

"It only take 2 minutes to poach and egg why is this taking so long?"

Yea, don't go out with commoners or people who don't know the stress of kitchens

Kek nice pasta

Got taken to Olive Garden with a big group of family members (I think there was 13 of us) to have a big meal together (we try to do it at least once a year when people are back in town at the same time), and for some reason the kitchen couldn't get everyone's meals done at close to the same time, so a bunch of people got served cold or undercooked shit.

>$150/plate
Stopped reading there.

I wouldn't even be mad if I found out this happened to something I ordered. It's what I would have done for myself at home

i have some friends who always jump on the bread

yes i know you love freebies, and don't like being wasteful
but you're shooting yourself in the foot - killing your appetite for the main courses

>$150/plate

user what the fuck man this is a blue board

>orders boar
>fucking well

Jesus fucking Christ man. As a professional cook that shit drives me up the goddamn wall. Such a waste of time and effort, such a waste of a fantastic ingredient. I know it happens, even with bro-tier servers like you trying to talk them out of it. They 'know what they want', the advice of the professionals be damned.

We had a similar thing with an elk dish I helped come up with once- one of the first dishes I got to help design, in fact. We strongly recommended to our customers to have it rare to mid rare- elk is insanely delicious but very very lean- but there were a handful of people who demanded it well done and then complained. It sucks, especially with all the work we put into the dish.

>I want my meat cooked please

Boo fucking hoo, enjoy your e.coli and the shits

>MUH CHEWY LEATHER

Nigeroni detected

>at restaurant with family
>order medium rare steak
>get a medium well
wtf

thats not blood but myogloblin

I work in a restaurant, every night is a horror story.

If it takes you that long to make eggs you don't deserve to have a restaurant.

most people dont eat their pork rare. hope the boar was clean and you weren't a shit hole restaurant, I've worked in plenty.

>steakhouse
>$150/plate

Nice meme.

You did nothing wrong.

>going to chain restaurants
>ever

fuck me

jesus christ

lol amuse bouches aren't ordered. they just give them to you.

too pussy to call them out?

steak is overrated, slow-cooked fatty meats are superior

steak is fatty mayn.

i did

Everyone here seems to know what's going on. Boomers are fucking cancer.

and then what?

>would you like the chef to make you a new steak sir?
>n-no that's fine.

This.

Generally the people that know owners/managers are well known enough to not have to say anything and still want to provide back to their friend's establishment and staff.

Shoulda just got a bloomin onion mate. Only thing worth getting there

Longhorn actual has pretty good burgers. They got one topped with swiss,shaved primerib, onions, mushrooms. With horseradish on the side

Didn't read past $150 a plate. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what the fuck dude?

European here. I've been to some pretty fucking swanky restaurants in my life and the only places I know that cost that much are Michelin-starred celebrity dens or City banker traps. Is this sort of shit common in America?

Uppity fucks think they know the owner just cause once they came by years ago and a manager stopped by to say hi to the table.

I remember first place I ever worked at the father and daughter owned it. Father was the food guy, daughter went through business school and owned a previous restaurant to help him own their own. Place was great and ran well. Sometimes though father would do cook work and daughter would take up wait shift, ya know if we got in the weeds bad.

Daughter could not stop laughing as one bastard went all "WHAT'S YOUR NAME LADY CAUSE I KNOW THE OWNER" because she wouldn't keep the restaurant open an extra hour just for their polite asses.

My dad is very hard on waitresses and even makes the check swoosh sign.

I find it kind of funny now that I am older but as a kid and up through college it mortified me.

>check swoosh sign
A what?

Think making a check mark in the air with your finger.

Yeah, we have more money to blow, unlike euro-trash.

former waitfag here. I was confused by that too. Never seen anyone do that. I'd get what he means in context given a table about done with their meal just looking at me and making any gesture but your dad sounds like a retard

I wish I had cooler server stories. Pretty boring overall. Good money, people were cool where I worked, never gave a fuck if people ordered their meat well done since I wasn't eating it. I just remember one old lady regular coming in every weekend for a blue rare steak and salad and old fashioned. Coolest old broad. She'd sit out on nice days to smoke and talk shit about the bicyclers.

I've posted this story before but I know it fits this thread
>grandpas birthday
>whole family goes to the fancy steakhouse where we live
>dad is a smartass and when ordering his steak tells the waiter that he wants the steak to "run around the table and moo"
>food is served
>dad is handed a legitimately uncooked steak
>immediately tells the waiter to actually cook it this time but still keep it super rare
>they bring him the same steak back barely heated
>happens one or two more times and I don't think the waiter is getting mad so much as getting a kick out of it
>eventually gets angry enough to say "i dont even want that one get me a medium rare of OTHER cut"

I was laughing my ass off each time they brought it back and so was grandpa.

Very common at Michelin-starred celebrity dens and city banker traps. Really just any place that has a concentration of wealth.

yes
"ok pls wait"
no
"oh"
fuck you asshole you're not theboss of me

some are, but it's not the same as something chuck or short rib that's been braised where the fat has basically melted

i literally recognize you from your rambling.

similar to what you say, but outside the food world, I work in marble/granite restoration. I recommend what needs to be done to make their floor/counter/shower/what ever look good again. They always ask if there is a cheaper way and I say no, not to make it right. I still give options of lesser price but tell them it won't look as good as if they were to go with what needs to be done. They always choose the cheapy options and after it's done, complain it doesn't look brand new. I now have waivers they sign stating specifically what I recommend and what they are deciding to go with after so many cheap assholes trying to get free work done when they were not happy with their cheap ass choice. Waivers are great because I can go home and get drunk and laugh at them and their stupidity instead of going back and doing more work for free to make them happy.

The diner in my town cooks everything medium well. I do no know why the waitresses even bother asking.

and they tip 10% too

Nice story, I wish I were there.

well done can still be juicy and tender, but there's a difference between 160F well done and 185F well done.

there's a huge difference between well done and overcooked.

>inb4 people think they're funny/clever by saying there isn't

>i got bad prime rib once, and have decided the cut of meat is exclusively disgusting

160F on some lean meat like boar kills any juice/taste

The only place my wife and her family like more than Outback is Olive Garden.

Who the fuck complains about the fat on prime rib?
Is it not crusted correctly?
Having a perfectly melty, crispy on the outside, piece of prime fat that's been slow roasted is like tasting bliss.
What the fuck is wrong with people?

>Sister wants to do dinner
>Meet her, her husband, 3 stepkids, and my parents
>She wants to go to a shitty chain place
>The reasoning is that the ice cream is good, and the bastard children want it
>Get there, place is empty
>Still takes 15 minutes to get seated
>Finally sit, order food
>Middle nephew finishes his whole syrupy fruit thing drink before the meal comes, sister tells him he can't get another
>He cries
>He is 9
>Food gets there
>Cheese on his burger, he is lactose intolerant
>He cries, it gets sent back
>Youngest at 7 starts to complain that the oldest one got more fries with his burger than he did
>Sister tries to explain that it's because he ordered off the kids menu, and his brother ordered off the adult menu
>He cries
>Sister orders him his own side of fries
>Oldest finishes his meal, nothing to note
>Middle gets his buyers finally, without cheese
>Eats half, doesn't want it any more
>Youngest, while nobody was watching, proceeds to take his dick out and fondle himself at the table
>Sister notices, freaks out
>He cries
>Ice cream is ordered
>Even for the middle one
>All want like 5 scoop sundaes
>Sister caves
>Leaving, oldest is fine
>Middle one, with lactose intolerance, is sick
>Farts, but it wasn't a fart
>Starts to cry
>Youngest tried to prove he could eat as much as his brothers
>Throws up while he's sitting in the van
>Remind my sister she married the guy

I have avoided going to dinner with her and the bastards for a few years now.

My granddad has champagne (proper pricy French champagne) with breakfast.

t. brown person

>French champagne

As opposed to knockoffs marketed as such.