Mixer recommendations

I'm hoping to get some input from any anons in the industry here.

I've outgrown my Kitchenaid mixer and I'm looking to upgrade it. I don't need anything enormous, but I do need something that's sturdier than the kitchenaid and can mount a proper meat grinder rather than the tiny little bastard that goes with the KA. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for the 10-12 quart size range with a standardized # head to mount the meat grinder.

Other urls found in this thread:

varimixer.com/
cityfoodequipment.com/
ebay.com/usr/cityfoodequipment1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>stand mixers
Please be in London

Sorry, USA. The difference in voltage is no problem as I have 240V receptacles in my kitchen but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay shipping on that heavy bastard from the UK.

Vitamix blenders.

Why not just get another one?

Had one. Sold it. Bought a Blendtec, which I love. But that's not what I want here. I need a big mixer than can run a proper meat grinder.

Kitchen aid then. They have a million attachments for whatever you need.

That wouldn't really help. The main motivation for this is sausage-making. I often make batches of 20, 30, 40, 50+ lbs of sausage. I use the mixer for both grinding the meat as well as mixing the ingredients together prior to stuffing the sausage. The problem is that the KA mixer is tiny. Its feed tube is small so it's a chore to use it for any more than just a couple pounds of meat. It's also cumbersome to feed two KA grinders at the same time--I know, I've tried. The KA can mix the ground meat with the paddle attachment no problem, but the small size of the bowl means I have to do many sub-batches for one large batch of sausage. A larger mixer would simplify things by having fewer batches to mess with.

Your reading comprehension is poor. KA is too small and its meat grinder accessory is also too small. I want a mixer that takes an industry-standard "#" type meat grinder, not the proprietary one that KA has.

Then why not just get a hand grinder?

Oh, maybe a vitamix blender then

Yeah, you want me to grind 50# of meat by hand? Lol.

Well if you don't like vitamix blenders have you considered kitchen aid blenders??

If you're regularly grinding 50 lbs. of meat, just buy an electric meat grinder. It'll work much better than any attachment.

If you are serious about anything in your life, get a Hobart. The make counter top mixers these days and they last 500 years

>It'll work much better than any attachment.

That's not the case in my experience. I have a buddy who has one. My work has a Hobart mixer which takes the exact same size grinder (#20). They perform exactly the same because the parts are exactly the same.

I'd much rather put my money towards the mixer because it can do a lot more than just grind meat, whereas the grinder is limited by comparison.

It was done in the past just fine by people all over the world so I dont really see the problem.

>My work has a Hobart mixer
Sounds like you know what you want, then, friendo. Why are you asking us?

>Sounds like you know what you want

Oh, I'd love one, but it also cost $15k. I can't afford that.

I'm looking for input on the reliability and performance of the smaller/lesser models. Something between my KA and my work's 80 quart Hobart.

>Something between my KA and my work's 80 quart Hobart.
A big bowl and a hand grinder, stop being a pussy and work for your food.

any mixer + attachment that can handle grinding the amount of meat you're looking to grind is going to cost you thousands. just get a meat grinder, friendo.

Stop posting bullshit and either answer the question posed or leave the thread.

>Stop posting bullshit and either answer the question posed or leave the thread.
You have bitched and moaned about every single suggestion in this entire thread, why dont you leave this place for reddit where everyone will just tell you that youre right and you can all circle jerk about how enlightened you are. Either accept other peoples suggestions that you asked for or leave, it is literally that simple.

You can get the smaller Hobart countertop mixers for something like $2-3k, no need to go all crazy with a $15k floor standing model.

OP already said his kitchenaid mixer was too small, why would a 5 qt hobart be any different? it's basically the same product, the hobart just has much better build quality and reliability, but it's not really any more powerful or large.

>cost you thousands

That's OK. As long as it's not 15,000.

you can find some used/refurbished 12 qt hobart mixers for

I guess he could go for one of the Hobart 12 or 20 quart models, they're around $5k or so.

Something tells me that OP can't afford that either though, so it's kind of a pointless argument.

>You have bitched and moaned about every single suggestion in this entire thread

That's because none of the suggestions actually answered the question that I asked.

I want people with industry experience to share their thoughts on the reliability and performance of commercial stand mixers in the 10-12 quart size. If you lack that experience then I'm not asking for your opinion.

>why would a 5 qt hobart be any different?

A Kitchenaid has a proprietary fitting for its accessories. A Hobart will have an Industry-standard #-type fitting instead, which is one of the things that OP specifically asked for.

huh, TIL. never owned a kitchenaid, only ever had the hobart n50.

>I'm hoping to get some input from any anons in the industry here.
I don't know if you can get them in the states, but Bear/Varimixer mixers are the best I've ever worked with by some margin. K-A are toys for the home kitchen.
Not cheap, but will pay off over time.
varimixer.com/

You know Hobart sells smaller mixers too, right? Same over built and simply built design philosophy in countertop mixers. Just google countertop industrial mixers or go to company websites that you know make industrial mixers. It isn't that hard.

>toys for the home kitchen
You're an idiot.

Not a professional. Last year I was looking for a large mixer grinder. I make my own raw dog food, and wanted to mix and grind various ingredients 100 lbs at a time. The used market is pretty reasonable. I ended up with a hobart MG1532. I had to pick entirely based on marketing literature though. There is a strange absence of reviews for commercial food equipment. Maybe the people that already work in the industry ask suppliers or associates rather than look online.

There are used commercial kitchen equipment places all over the US. A lot of them have an online presence now, either ebay or a website with inventory. If you don't get any useful advice, you can't go wrong with hobart.

This was where i got my grinder. They don't do a great job keeping their inventory up to date though.
cityfoodequipment.com/
ebay.com/usr/cityfoodequipment1

Says the doofus who bought the rickety memeware. You're welcome to try professional equipment one day. It'll be a revelation. I have yet to be in a restaurant where the K-A that some pastrychef demanded be bought isn't broken in half a dozen ways. The real kitchen machinery stiil going strong, of course.
>muh made in usa

Then all the places you've worked at have other people as stupid as you working for them. Do you blame your corolla for fucking up when you try to fill up the gas tank on sugar water too?

>muh special mixer needs special care
Perhaps you're a bit ... special?
Sorry to piss on your favourite brand there, fanboi. Doesn't make them more than chiders toys though. Even Kenwoods home kitchen line is higher quality.

kitchenaid mixers are literally CONSUMER grade products, designed for use at HOME. I wouldn't go so far as to call them toys, but they are most certainly for the home kitchen and are simply not robust enough for most professional kitchens.

It doesn't need special care, it just isn't made to handle some of the same things or abuse that some dumbass employees can manage to crank out. I've worked in 3 kitchens, two of which bein 5 star resorts, that used multiple kitchen aid mixers in garde manger and patissiere which had been used for years. Hobart and several others are companies that manufacture in the USA too, you know.
And no. They do make many geared toward the consumer maket. They also make industrial models which are more robust in various ways, yet still not designed for all of the same sort of tasks as some of the other mixers talked about. That doesn't mean they're terrible quality.

Why do women pretend to like stand mixers?

>>I've worked in 3 kitchens
>>It doesn't need special care you just can't use it much
>it's still home grade shit but some have uprated motors power
>gearbox and drive isn't uprated to handle the extra motor power
>hinge will have centimetres of play after a month or two
>if it's the smaller model the bowl lifter will give in within the same time instead
It's shit. It's even expensive shit. Stop defending this shit. I don't care if your father sells them.

You're a dumbass, an extremely stupid dumbass that makes most other dumbasses seem like Steven fucking Hawking.

got a vintage 12qt Hobie on my kitchen table right now, it is everything you need and I don't know if a home cook can realistically outgrow it.

makes 4x cookie batches, 4x loaves of bread, etc etc.

have used it for everything from OJ to sausage making. might cost you ~$1000(used) but it's worth it, you'll never buy another one

they're $2600 new, fag
>newfag
>ahahahaha

used they usually run over $1000. check local classifieds(paper) resturant sales etc

>dont you see the cooking tools I bought? of course I cook and am good at it!

a genuine problem with "normal" consumer grade products is that although the horse power is there, the torque is too weak to handle certain things and has parts that are more prone to breaking and for 1/2 of the price of a professional version there really is no point

no thank you necessary

After I realized that a kitchen aid just wasn't going to do what I wanted I held out for a hobart A200 and also ended up with a Globe SP20 I'd look into the 10qt globe if you can afford it.
Scrolling down you're planning on making 50 pounds of sausage? Get a 20qt You need the capacity.
Watch the used ads where you are. It took me years to find mixers at a price I could afford, but they are out there.

the big issue with Kitchen A is that they switched to nylon gears, and home retards strip them out. vintage KAs, you'll burn out the motor before you fuck up the rest of the drive train, and guess which is easier to replace?

they're still great machines, but they did get 6 Sigmaed a bit.