Cooking Common Sense

Things that should be done, but rarely are.

Don't add salt to your stock because it will condense with further cooking. Leave your stock unsalted and only salt when you intend to cook with it. If you add salt to your stock while during the process you're basically just making a huge thing of soup.

No salt = Stock
Salt = Soup

Post 'em.

your fucking autistic

This is good advice. I'd only difference in the nomenclature. Salting/seasoning does not make a stock into a soup, it makes it into a broth.

fuck off

Great idea. Here's one for you :
next time you want to eat a banana,
try killing yourself instead.

I see the oversalters are already on the rampage.

Don't add dry meat to soup in order to moisten it up again, shit needs fats to help mask it.

You should be continually seasoning and tasting your stock as you cook it, knowing it's going to reduce.

Seasoned stock is just stock, not soup. Unseasoned stock is just unseasoned stock.

That's common sense.

why would you season your stock before turning it into soup/stew? just season it when you're actually using it.

Seasoned stock is broth, senpai.

The less you season stock, the better, as it allows for more versatility, unless you already have a clear idea of what you're going to do with it.

This is why Western stocks are usually made with meat/bone, mirepoix, and a bit of herb. You don't want to add salt/pepper, garlic, red pepper, etc at this step.

Because it makes you feel like le epique chef

You guys are so fucking dumb.

Show me your culinary arts degree right now or get off my board.

>paying to go to a culinary institute

You got scammed hard. Best chefs learn from the bottom up.

— A stock is made from bones and whatever connective tissue and joint material is connected to them at the time they go in the pot.

— A broth is a liquid in which meat has been cooked.

stop sperging out so much, you're all embarrassing yourselves

Oh yeah? So what meat is in bone broth? Gotcha, kid.

So you don't have one? Goodbye, you're no longer allowed to post here.

So you don't have one? Another one bites the dust, don't think about posting here again.

I take it the Australians have recovered from their Anzac Day hangovers and are back on the prowl.

Dunno about the other dude above, but I do. It was a major scam if I had paid for it (but scholarship kek). even in school they tell you it's a major scam and how employers look down on it and want to train cooks their own exact way from the bottom up and so every job I've had to give the same speech about not bringing 'old habits' in because that's exactly correct

at the time I didn't even want a career and just wanted expensive home ec classes because my home life never taught me how to even make instant rice, but hey

so how does it feel to be so stupid and not know most actually consider a degree a handicap in this field? and with the amount of non-joking ramen threads you expect most to have degrees, lel

>heres some anecdote with no sources
Disregarded, you can post here though since you actually got your education, but no food advice until you're working at a 5 star like me.

>five star

does the five star yelp reviews your place pays for help when you realize you'll never get a Michelin star, or

>claiming to have a degree and still blindly denying a lot of chefs look down on that shit and would rather take in a loyal dishwasher to bump up to cook first

seems legit

>claiming to have a degree and still blindly denying a lot of chefs look down on that shit and would rather take in a loyal dishwasher to bump up to cook first
How can I claim what's not true? Got a source to back you up instead of "in my experience" which is anecdote, dismissed, disregarded, destroyed, useless, and laughed at with a hearty ha ha.

>does the five star yelp reviews your place pays for help when you realize you'll never get a Michelin star, or
Michelin rates to 3 you moron, if you don't even know this I REALLY question the actuality of your education.

the point was who cares about five star garbage when it can come from any source. it's tiring to hear burnt out pieces of crap smugly talk about five star rated shit when what's that from even? your local paper in a town of 20,000 people? if you want to be a Supreme Snob about autist shit the only thing that should matter is something from a reputable guide, only one which rates up to five stars

Forbes actually but it was nice trying, I see you don't have any kinda degree, therefore, you are no longer allowed to post. Toodles.

...The bait is real
You probably don't even use eggs to clarify your stock.

Begone, peasant! I can't see a dime at the bottom of the pot

Hee hee hee, ima have to get the Michelin man on your bottom.

Cooking and the rating of cooking often falls to the old guard. Long standing is the tradition of those who travel to stand as the line of judgment in such matters; so it came to be that the Michelin guide - yes, the TIRE COMPANY Michelin - guide to fine dining, pointed out places that could be considered destinations to the modern tourists, if only to increase automotive tourism and sell more tires.

But they did it for so long, and were correct so often, that the tradition of the Michelin star became a coveted title.
There are better sources for information, but none so reputable, for while Michelin reviews so few places in a world with so many fine things to eat, that getting a review is all but unheard of...

... getting a positive review is likely the best thing to happen to your restaurant in a generation.

ill show u mine if u show me urs ;)

dat sound as 20+ Veeky Forums users google using eggs to clarify stock and get their minds blown

sounds like "skooosh"

I use gelatin, to be honest with you family.

You first naturally.

Since when did this board become people sperging to culinary degrees. If you have a culinary degree and look down on people instead of helping them you are useless to society with that degree

Well actually, if you're working a 40 hour job in a restaurant that demands those knife skills and attention to detail, then, no you're not useless to society.

Since you're, you know, generating income and improving the GDP while adding to the culture of your country with your talents.

...As opposed to spouting one liners on a message board that may or may not enlighten people.

Of course I don't have such a degree, I make sandwiches for a living. I'm just telling it like it is.

>I make sandwiches for a living
I wouldn't go around broadcasting that.

Why would you clarify your stock unless you're making a consommé? It generally takes away from the flavor.

I would.

This is like asking why you should paint a painting with paint, unless you're making a painting.

... are you home in there?

It's more like asking why you should paint a painting with lacquer, unless you're lacquering it.

The OP was talking about condensing his stock.
I mentioned clarifying it.

If you condense and clarify stock, you get a consommé.

I don't know which conversation you're in. I'd guess you're lacquered up.

what are you on about? stock doesn't need to be clarified to be stock, and it shouldn't be clarified for most of its use cases

I just flushed six sardine skeletons down the toilet rather than put them in the bin. No smell tomorrow!

Why doesn't everyone do this?

Lol shitposters.

Everybody else uses them to make fish stock, what's wrong with you

So, to make a stock don't use seasoning, and remember to clarify it? Ok, got it.

Also is it bad if I used a preroast chicken carcass as a base for stock that has already been rubbed down with salt? Wouldn't that count as adding salt?

I thought stock was bone-based and broth was meat-based?

the guy telling you to clarify your stock is an idiot who probably just learned what a consomme is

you just wanted to namedrop a technique that is tangentially related. it is common on this board for people to do that, but it never stops being annoying.

you're* on Veeky Forums dumb fuck

>my

>heres some anecdote with no sources
let me ftfy
>here's some advice within the industry
I'm not responsible for your willfull ignorance

You wouldn't because other people have something called pride, and it shows through their work.

there is substantial overlap between broth and stock. GENERALLY a stock is something you use to cook a meal, whereas a broth itself *is* a meal or a distinct component thereof, but people often use the terms interchangeably in the first case e.g: you can cook a risotto with either a broth or a stock.

the french word 'bouillon' is similar to how we use the word broth.

in any case, no one definition is right, no one taxonomy binding. clearly you can flavour a liquid in a whole bunch of ways and you can use that liquid in a whole bunch of ways and to get autistic over what you call it is pointless because the taxonomy would have to be pretty granular if you wanted proper precision in your nomenclature.

so does clarifying add any kind of flavour or no? eggs and that are just an emulsifier aren't they?

I'm not really asking for presentation, I just want to know more cause I'm a student with no standards.

clarifying removes flavourful particles but also removes flavour inhibiting particles. fat and protein is removed, making the flavour release briefer and the perceived flavour 'cleaner' or 'brighter' but it lacks some of the richness of unclarified stock.

samefag
do you really think people are impressed that you have heard of clarifying a stock?

stock has more bones
broth has more meat.

fuck off pretentious piece of shit, if you want people to bend over and praise your degree, go to mommy and have her tell you what a good career being a chef is (it isn't)