What does Veeky Forums think about America's Test Kitchen?

What does Veeky Forums think about America's Test Kitchen?

i like their product reviews, a lot of stuff seems kind of pointless otherwise.

They produce content slowly.
But the content they produce is backed with the magic of science (yay, oxymorons)
and it's pretty damn good stuff.

It's too expensive to buy a membership, but if their cookbooks float through a local dime store they are ALL MINE.

The best cooking show on currently. Too bad Chris and his snark won't be there anymore.

They taught me a fair amount as I was growing up. Now just watch for interest/inspiration.

Good for ideas, but never follow their recipes exactly or it will be bland and unispired.

I like that they put a lot of time into exploring the variables and developing their recipes. As a result, most of their recipes involve a lot of steps, so I don't usually try them unless I have a lot of time on my hands. I like to watch the show though.

Tries too hard to be contrarian.
>"Here are 47 easy steps for the perfect steak!"
>Not MEAT + SALT + FIRE

GOAT
Watching white people cook is so fucking comfy

chris is a bowtie-wearing weenie that deserves a good long noogie.

Recipes are good starting points.Techniques are 70% useful 30% unnecessary. Fun to watch though.

>a local dime store

Are you a 70 year old woman? Moving on, I enjoy all the public television cooking shows.

Have you seen the one with the chef from carolina? (I think)
Ive only seen a few episodes but I liked it

I watch Pepin, Ming and the guy from Louisiana when they're on

I like Steven Raichlen on Project Smoke. Martin Yan's Taste of Vietnam is really charming too. He sounds just like Khan from King of the Hill.

A chef's life? Watched the one where she does a lunch in honor of her mother and grandmother, didn't like it very much. Pepin is a must and I also enjoy Rick Bayless' show but I don't think they broadcast it anymore.

Watched it as a kid growing up. I'll miss Chris. But you know who I really miss? The Frugal Gourmet.

>Too bad

I already know about Chris being a douchebag. I think people say, in real life, he doesn't even say "Hi" to his employees. He probably feels like if they were paid by him, then all the recipes belong to him. That said, I don't know who they are going to replace him in the TV show.

he was the worst

He is dead?

>product reviews
has anyone here adhered to those product reviews when buying kitchen equipment?

Their most recent one on gas grills is relevant to me because mine is getting near the end of its lifespan.

Nah, the worst is the fat blonde.

>gas grills

>le charcoal master race

I have never bought something on their recommendation. However I have bought things that were then recommended by them.

The weber 22" grill is the gold standard when it comes to affordable, portable, charcoal grills. Best thing is you can find them really cheap on craigslist.

Victorinox knives are great for the price. Although they keep raising the price.

Thermapen is an awesome thermometer but expensive.

>charcoal master race
And don't you forget it

i resent this racist remark. You think you get to have a double standard? Fuck you. I don't even know (or care) what race you are, but ATC is better than any non white cooking show you can cite. Now fuck off

*ATK, America's Test Kitchen.

It'll be Bridget and that other chubby blonde, I forget her name. They know their shit, and they're usually the ones explaining things to Chris anyway, so the show will petty much be exactly the same but with less bowties.

Victorinox keeps going up because AMTK shills for them on contract, I agree with thermapen but it was alton brown that turned me on to them - best $80 i've spent for the kitchen I just wish they didn't get rid of their old alarm probe thermometer, the new model sucks.

I'm buying a matfer carbon steel pan because they told me to.