Coffee thread

What are you brewing?

How?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0002T6L5M/
tdsmeter.com/faqs/#tds-level
youtube.com/watch?v=AnK0O2hYCV4
youtube.com/watch?v=wEw7m9jZzlg
epa.gov/dwstandardsregulations/secondary-drinking-water-standards-guidance-nuisance-chemicals
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-water-filter-pitcher/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing.
I prefer instant, Jack got me on to a new Expresso blend after I chatted to him on Youtube about sauces and marinades.

Finishing up the last of my Burundi Kinyovu from Blueprint today. Back to my own roasting after this, have a few different greens on hand, not sure what I'll go to next yet.

Made as espresso in my Arrarex Caravel, ground with Bunnzilla. Temperature 194, preinfusion 10sec then pull.

It's been a good shot, but I'd put it below the Kenya I was pulling before in personal preference.

Been freezing my beans in single portions and grinding frozen too in light of Pergers recent study, I've had good results. Not sure how different though.

Bong here. Just made a few bottles of cold press from Origin's El Salvador. Phenomenal, best batch I've made yet. So smooth, complex flavours. Had some Icelandic espresso from the local shop this morning, pretty average.

Cafe Bustelo.
Aeropress.

My espresso machine arrives Friday, and I'm so excited my taint is dripping wet.

I put a k-cup of decaf coffee shop brand coffee in my keurig, filled my plastic cup with a few tsp of sugar and dumped some heavy cream and vanilla extract in.

If you HAD to buy a bag of coffee from Starbucks, what would you pick? I'm asking because a friend of mine works there and gets half price on everything, and since I'm cheap as fuck...

Whatever hasn't been sitting on the shelf for months

So nothing?

You got it

Starbucks has shit beans, I only go there when I have a gift card to get a cappuccino and a pastry, or maybe a Frappuccino

You just can't drink their coffee black, I wouldn't take their beans for free

Get a light roast. At the least it won't be oily and burnt.

Moka pot the true italian coffee

You know moka pots make some seriously shitty coffee. Get with the times.

i always found that moka pots made over extracted bitter as fuck coffee, just get an espresso machine or an aeropress

I bet you dweebs like sweet coffee. It's a bitter drink, deal with it.

mate i just want to be able to taste my coffee rather than having everything a super acidic shitmix.

Also >sweet coffee

If you can't use a moka pot to make good coffee you can't use a moka pot.

I make coffee in a French press. My coffee it's never bitter unless I'm eating something sweet along with my coffee.

why would you want to use one in the first place? It's a retarded method

Properly made coffee is not bitter

>If you can't use a moka pot to make good coffee you can't use a moka pot.
Possibly the most retarded statement I've seen here.

is this memery born of nationalism?

What machine? I'm getting a new one soon too.

Are moka pots actually shit? What if I'm poor and can only afford one to try and join the espresso master race

I find them to be a lot of effort, really dodgy and always producing super acidic over-extracted coffee, I really regret buying one.

Just get a french press or an aeropress if you're looking for a cheap way of making coffee

> (You)
>What machine? I'm getting a new one soon too.

I got a used one off eBay, pic related

Is turkish coffee bait in threads with all sorts of espresso snobbery?

You clearly have not ever had a decent cup of coffee in your life if you actually think coffee should be bitter. Next time sweeten it up with some antifreeze.

The le i drink STRONGGGG BLACK coffee meme needs to die. Coffee shouldn't taste like death. Old people with their folgers and people who want to appear manly are the biggest offenders of this.

Bustelo is undrinkable.

Kenya or Willow blend.

Shitty cheap coffee that I purchased for too much money due to hurr durr England prices (I'm from South Africa so you can appreciate the exchange rate, 21 to 1) have it ultra weak with a quarter spoon of sugar and a good dollop of full cream milk.

My goal is to buy higher grade instant coffee (gold) when this jar runs out.

Not afraid to admit I bought a pod machine over the weekend, it was on special for $60.
100x better than instant.
Much better than plunger and mokka pot.
Takes literally 30 seconds from turning the machine on.
Great for when I feel like a coffee without the hassle.

Sumatran Dark Roast. Water temp is 195 F. Coarse-ground the beans and prepared it with a 5 minute in a French Press.

The coffee is rich and full-flavored with a chocolate flavor upfront that recedes into a lingering earthiness.

If you like it, awesome. Enjoy.

If you can, you should put your own coffee in the thing, though.

Pulling a Peru from Sump that I'd have swore was an African as espresso, it's bizarre but good.

Waste of time, the point with these machines are that they are quick and easy.
If you start filling you own pods you may as well get a real machine.

Preground black in a kuerig machine.

Because just short of buying those expensive kcups, I could not give less of a fuck about what I drink before 10am. Afternoon teas are a different ball game though.

Thats what I've been drinking. Just had a killer.

Did you know cezve is pronounced "gez-veh"?

Freshly ground Douwe Egberts beans out of my Philips coffee machine, like any rightful Dutchman would.

Wow, the faux crema on that looks awful, way worse than I thought it would, I actually feel sick.

Bs, these beens have been made so ever since we still had slaves pick them and wooden ships to transport them. I refuse to believe they are second to any.

Does Sumatran origin light roast exist?

My local roaster has Sumatran but even that is a dark roast.

I just bought the same machine on Amazon, its pretty solid, still working on it, I posted in the other espresso thread about my experiences

Mate it's the machine that is shit

Newman's Own from my K15 Keurig. Best cup of coffee I've had outside of a professional shop.

inb4 "yoo /pol/oote so neck yourself-" I recycle my K-Cups after brewing with them.

Should've tried this instead of the trash dunkin donuts ciffe grind I bought for my keurig

The Dunkin isn't terrible; my ladyfriend uses that with hers. I just bought the Donut Shop ( it was on sale ) and almost thought I was drinking water. I'm hoping Newman's eventually makes a K-Cup with tea.

Impossible. It's a Philips, the pinnacle of Dutch engineering.

Fun fact: machine in OP pic is also Dutch. And just about the exact opposite of your Philips in usage.

I don't recognise the brand, which one is it? The Philips is a very decent machine which gives excellent coffee at no effort at all.

Pinnacle? No. More like mass-market brand.

The coffee I make with my moka pot isn't bitter, you're doing something wrong.

those cups are impossible to recycle.

who cares, faggot?

Machine is a Strietman.

You can't get even decent (much less excellent) espresso with no effort at all without going to a cafe no matter what you pay.

Not yet anyway, superautomatics are getting better though! There are machines that you can screw in a properly prepared puck in the portafilter and it shoots out damn good espresso, like the Black Eagle (price tag is lol fuck you tier though), but even those need to be dialed in before usage. Perhaps automatic self dialing will be possible by automatic flow profiling soon, Decent Espresso promises this, but as of yet there's no reputation for their durability so I wouldn't leap to buy one.

Thanks for the information. Tbh, I'm not really that much of a coffee drinker, so I'd lie if I'd say anyone should take my word for it. I always enjoy the Philips though and any higher price range would not be worth it for me personally.

If you enjoy it that's the important part.

But I'd try a cheap full immersion brewer some time, I find brewed coffee is easy to get pretty good without paying a ton where espresso is extremely difficult in the same price category.

I drink mostly espresso shots by a large margin, but I'd take an ok brewed coffee over anything but the best espresso any day.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into it. I do enjoy espresso more, but I can't say I'm as epicurean towards it as some are. That Strietman machine looks very beautiful though, but 1,5k is a bit steep for me.

I wouldn't recommend it to start anyway, at least not if you don't know you like levers. Just like I wouldn't recommend starting with a Vesuvius.

The following advice isn't for you as much as for anyone who cares:

My personal recommendations would be to get a vintage Arrarex Caravel or EspressoForge and later add a used PID'd pump machine (probably gaggia classic or rancillio silvia), from there deciding which type you'd rather pursue.

Maybe you'll end up with a Strietman, or maybe a Breville or a Lucca or so on. But the big numbers should come after you know what you want.

But grinders come in to play here too, so that needs to be kept in mind.

Is an aeropress or a v60 better for someone who's only had drip coffee machines at home until now? I'm leaning towards the v60 (or another similar method), but then I'd have to "invest" some extra money in a fancy kettle and settle for a cheaper grinder. But I'd probably use the kettle for more than just coffee, as opposed to the grinder which is really just for this.

Is one method longer than the other? Sometimes I need to move fast in the morning.

I want to learn everything there is to know about coffee. Can anyone on Veeky Forums tell me of any online barista training courses or videos? Preferably free/cheap, and something I might be able to put on a resume.

Bunoe

I use my regular old kettle for pour-over, works fine.

This. Don't buy a £30 kettle just because it's a Hario. You can do the job with a regular kettle if you're not ham-fisted.

Finally moving out tomorrow, I have all my furniture except for a god tier coffee set up. Where do I start? No keurig shit.

a nice entry level setup (until you have a more specific idea of what you're after) might be:

mazzer mini
elektra art.sx
hottop basic

>god tier

Well first you need to get your sink sorted, no point buying imported civet shit beans and a thousand dollar machine if you're just going to use fluoridated tap water.

Thanks guys, will go for the v60 then.

Will Brita Jugs do? The tap water around here is actually pretty good.

You said God-tier, not "works fine enough I guess" tier.

Not him.

What do you guys do with your extra coffee?

What should I do with my extra coffee?

Freeze it so you can use it the next day.

Before you do anything get yourself a simple cheap digital Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) tester such as this one to test what you are getting out of your faucet:
amazon.com/dp/B0002T6L5M/

Typical water readings are:
~ 300 ppm Hot Tap Water (Water Heater)
~ 150 ppm Cold Tap Water
~ 50-100 ppm Bottled Spring/Non-distilled Water
~ 0-10 ppm Distilled/RO Filtered Water
~ 9001 ppm Flint, MI Tap Water
tdsmeter.com/faqs/#tds-level
youtube.com/watch?v=AnK0O2hYCV4
youtube.com/watch?v=wEw7m9jZzlg

Keep in mind the EPA sets a safe range range of up to 500 ppm, so below that the only strict benefits are going to be in taste unless you are a hypochondriac.
epa.gov/dwstandardsregulations/secondary-drinking-water-standards-guidance-nuisance-chemicals
Your utility is also required to do an annual water quality testing and keep the results on hand for your inspection whenever you ask which breaks down total impurities by type such as metals (lead), minerals (calcium/magnesium which shows how "hard" your water is), chemicals (chlorine/BPA), etc. Again though because these required tests don't sample from your home anything in the transmission pipes or your home's plumbing will be missed and depending on what time of the year they are conducted the results may be stale which is why a TDS tester is preferable.

After that you can decide if you want a filter or not.
This guide is the most up-to-date test of counter-top models and shows the PUR model is currently the best performer:
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-water-filter-pitcher/

Some people don't want to spend the time installing and/or money on a home distiller or reverse-osmosis filtration system.

And that's fine for those people, but he specifically asked for God-tier.

Since this is a coffee thread, I might as well ask this here. Do any of you have a preferred espresso powder? I actually dislike coffee unless it's diluted with a ton of sugar/cream in it, but I find a lot of chocolate dessert recipes call for the stuff as a flavor potentiating ingredient like vanilla extract and say you won't actually taste it in the final product.

tl;dr Best brand of espresso powder for baking or does it even matter in that case?

2 teaspoons instant coffee. Milk. Hot water.
Essential to put the milk in before the water

Picked up some of pick related on sale at Meijer. Anybody tried it?

If by espresso powder you mean instant coffee, I use nescafe azera in cooking. But I don't think it matters too much desu

Personally roasted colombian supremo over apple wood in a behmor small grid drum, medium.
Mini Mazzer doserless mod
Rancilio Silvia

what's a good but inexpensive grinder for use with french press only - no meme grinds required?

hand/blade/burr whatever.

>coarse ground
>inexpensive grinder
>good

You'll have to spend more than $100 (usd) for some decent consistency.

There are two things that make grinders expensive: how consistent they do coarse grind and how fine they do fine.

$100-150 is inexpensive for me. I don't need settings galore. just something that does a coarse grind.

Ground up, heated, dirty bean water. I'll never understand the obsession.

>memeijer

You start drinking it for the caffeine content then you acquire a taste for it over time. Just like beer/wine and alcohol.

Meijer is great. I love grocery shopping at 2am.

Consistency-wise, I've found the Hario Mini Mill and the Baratza Encore to be on par. From there, the question becomes would pay $60 or $70 extra to avoid grinding manually?

Baratza also sells replacement parts, so their grinders are serviceable. Some even replace the Encore's burrs with ones from the more expensive models

Lido 3

I got a Bodum grinder for $50 and it's breddy deece. Conical burr, glass cup.
Normally they're like ~$130 but the green and red colorways are hideous and the store had a hard time selling them.

will investigate all these.

You're undrinkable m8y

I'm excited. I think it gets here Saturday. I've never made real espresso so this is gonna be an experience.

How is orange a better seller than red?

The store only had red, green and black.

Is there instant espresso? I drink some Mexican instant coffee each morning but I would love to drink espresso instead.

grinder user here. this is the most likely one I will get I think. the baraza one looked sweet but is 3x as expensive as in america here. the bodum is almost the same price - not as cheap as your garish one but around $130.

Look up "espresso powder"

The best part of waking up.
An old ass percolator.

Is there really any reason to upgrade from a cafetière?