Rice Thread

Lets talk about rice.

I've always been a long grain white man myself, I can get white rice so cheap that whenever I wanted basmati, I have to pay more than triple the cost.

There's one thing that's always troubled me however, what's the best way to cook it?

I've always been the type to follow the instructions on the packaging, but I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of them - they often seem designed to be foolproof, rather than actually good.

Anyway, Veeky Forums educate me, this is how I've been cooking my boiled rice, and I would like to be told why I suck:
Wash my cheap-ass rice.
Pour one cup of water into a pan.
Half-fill the same cup with rice.
Bring the water to boil, on a stove in a pan.
Add the rice [I've seen some recipes recommend that you return the water to boil here, I've never noticed any difference from doing this, so I don't bother].
Stir once.
[sometimes add a pinch of salt here, no fucking clue if it actually makes a difference]
Put lid on pan, reduce heat.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve.

To make a long story short, this works, but I can't praise it for its taste, although it still beats the shit out of anything where you cook it for like 15. Other than that, the only issue I've faced with rice is grain separation, for whatever fucking reason, my roomate likes his grains totally fucking separate, the only way I know of to do this is be a pleb and microwave, which I hate doing since it makes the rice totally fucking tasteless. Any tips for how to do it with a stove?

Rice cooker man. Unless youre an old nip, spic, or indian making it out of the pot is a bitch. Some people say wash the rice first but it makes the shit to fluffy.

>Rice cooker man
I don't get it, we've cooked rice for literally thousands of years without them. If we needed one to make good rice, rice wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is.

Kinda like toast, right?

We did lots of stuff for thousands of years that have been improved because of technology. Rice and rice cookers are one of those things. Unlike toast where its just annoying to make without a toaster rice actually comes out better when cooked in a quality rice cooker.

white rice is for plebs. brown rice master race.
just use pot with a good lid. these rice cookers with holes in the lid are gay af

Bread based stuff used to be pretty damn good, go ask Veeky Forums, for weird reasons, Veeky Forums are bread experts.

>We did lots of stuff for thousands of years that have been improved because of technology.
True.

>Rice and rice cookers are one of those things.
Fair enough... I suppose I can't contest that without owning a rice cooker, although anything I've seen from people who are big on rice always advocates the stove, which I hope is for good reason.

>brown rice master race.
Mastering brown is my plan for next year, but I've bought such a huge bulk of white that I'm hoping to master white first.

Lightly saute a cup of rice in a bit of oil in the pot
Pour 2 cups boiling water
Throw a tbsp of salt and a garlic clove in there
Cook for ~20mins on low heat or until there's no water left

That's literally what I do every two days

>Natural gas stoves and electric refrigerators.

I don't get it, we've cooked food for literally thousands of years without them. If we needed them to make good food, food wouldnt be anywhere near as popular as it is.

Just go to amazon and buy the top rated rice cooker. Its like 20$ and involves less work than cooking on the stove for the same result.

I'd say that's not a fair comparison, based on the fact that fridges save you time, money and give you access to food that you wouldn't otherwise have, and the stoves is just more convenient than having to start a fucking fire.

But, I suppose you could make the argument that a rice cooker is more convenient than a stove...

Fuck it then, assuming I want to use a stove, what is the best way?

Also, don't stoves make it easiest to season than a rice cooker would?

>anything I've seen from people who are big on rice always advocates the stove, which I hope is for good reason.

Its better from a good rice cooker. Always. But it has to be quality. You should get one its pretty easy to find a good one

>Does it have a locking lid and not a pot lid
>Is the manufacturer Japanese
>Does it cost atleast 100 dollars

If it passes that it will be good and then its just deciding on how large and what features you want it to have

WHOOOOOOAAAAA

What is with the big mystery here?

Cooking rice is so damn easy and it works for all kinds of savoury rice (long, jasmin or basmati)

Wash it 5-6 times in cold water until it runs clear.

>Throw rice in pan
>cover rice with nearly 1/2" water (add salt if needed)
>bring to boil
>Boil
>Dimples form in rice as water boils off
>Water nearly gone
>hear a 'crack or two'
>remove from heat, stir, cover
>do not touch for at least 10 mins.
>stir
Perfect Rice.

Fuck it, I'll try this on Saturday, but that sounds easy to burn, and vague.

What he's saying is you have to wait for the water to be gone.

What I do is put some tin foil as a cover to reflect the IR radiation. Yeah and then just wait until the sound has gone from a light simmer to the sound of frying. Of course doneness level is a matter of preference, and the amount of water will be the primary determinant of doneness

>Not simmering rice

Enjoy your gloopy mess.

Enjoy your cremation.

You have never cooked rice before have you?

I hope Uncle Ben serves you well but screencap my post and try it . . . .. . then criticize!

I make it out of a pot all the time, but I'm a spic so fuck you got me there

OP, here's what I do on the stove top:

I don't rinse my rice but sure go for it if you want
Measure out ratio of rice to water of approximately 1:1.75
Put a bit of olive oil in the pot and swirl to cover the bottom
Heat on medium heat until the oil swirls like water
Throw a smashed clove of garlic or two in the oil, should hear the sizzle so you know the oil is up to temp before you add rice and water
Add rice and then the water
Add a pinch of salt or some other seasoning if you want. Here's where you throw in the Sazon if you're making yellow rice.
Stir with a fork
Cover and allow it to bring to a boil
Once you can see steam coming out of the sides of the pot, turn the heat down very low
Don't touch it. Seriously, no touching.
I usually clean or something and wait until my apartment smells of rice. Probably about 10 minutes
Check the rice by just pushing at the edge to see if any water is left
If finished cooking, take off the heat and fluff with fork. Allow it to sit for a minute or two with the top off.

Comes out perfect. Never burned rice and doesn't come out like glue.

OP's said he's trying it on sat. Watch him burn it.

It shouldn't burn

Funnily enough, I've eaten burnt rice before .. . .I was told it was traditional .. . being a Brit, I was polite and ate it anyway, so as not to offend.

But apparently it's quite a big thing with Persians, they literally fight for the burnt rice, I thought I was being fobbed off with a crap excuse but it's true.

It's a thing all over the place. The really high-end Japanese rice cookers have a function that does this on purpose.

>in a bit of oil
>a bit of olive oil
Doesn't that make it fried rice? The Veeky Forums in me hurts.

I love jasmine rice, and I occasionally make it myself if i'm going to be using it as an ingredient. If i'm eating it by itself, I actually prefer it in a rice cooker.

No

No. The technique those people are describing is simply to coat the grains of rice in a little oil before proceeding to boil/steam it.

Fried rice is made totally differently. First the rice is boiled. Then it's cooled down and dried a little. That is then fried.

You can certainly skip the oil if you want, though given the small amounts involved it's hardly unhealthy.

Fried rice is taking already cooked rice and browning it in oil and seasonings over heat.

And if you're honestly concerned about the health effects of half a tablespoon of olive oil, I don't know how to help you. Fats, especially healthy fats, are a natural part of your diet

I'm a long d¡cked white man myself, (tip touches my belly button when errect).

Sea Kyle

is this for a cup of rice or a half cup?

/thread

Rice, water, salt, boil. Turn off heat, let sit for 20 minutes. Should be perfectly cooked.

For tastiness, add things. Put a shot of tequila in with the water before you cook, stir in cilantro and lime juice when it's done.

But if you eat rice a lot, I seriously recommend shelling out the 10 bucks for a rice cooker. They're amazing.

add oil to pan
cover the entire pan
heat until it just starts smoking
Pour out excess oil
Let pan cool
add rice
Add water to rice level + 1 inch extra
cook on low heat, with lid on
wait 30 mins
don't fucking open it
enjoy your perfectly cooked rice with crispy bottom

>Turn off heat, let sit for 20 minutes.
>wait 30 mins
Odd, whenever I've gone anything over 15 minutes, I just obviously overcooked rice.

>add salt
>add oil
>make sure to salt and oil
>good amount of oil, maybe salt

is nothing sacred

How do I make sushi rice fluffier? It's always so dense, and it gets way too sticky.

It says a cup right there man

Use medium grain? That's kinda how short grain is meant to be.

I just got one and I like it. On a quest to spice up my rice

>I've always been a long grain white man myself

a proper gin and tonic man, here

I pretty much always rinse off my rice several times until the water runs clear. It gets the excess starch off the grains and it ends up being fluffier and not as sticky when it's done cooking.

I always go with the 2:1 water:rice ratio, dump it in a sauce pan, add a pinch of salt, sometimes some butter or whatever other spices I may want to flavor it with, cover it and bring it up to a boil. Once it starts to boil, I shake the saucepan a bit to move the rice around then turn it down to low and let it cook for 15 minutes, then turn it off and leave it covered for another 10 minutes to steam some more. Once that's done, I fluff it up with a fork and then it's time to eat.

Works great for plain white, jasmine or basmati rice, which is what I usually make. I follow the same process for brown rice but it needs to cook longer, usually 30-40 minutes or so.

You're correct that stovetop rice cooking directions are made to be foolproof rather than optimal.

Unfortunately, nobody is going to be able to tell you exactly how to cook rice optimally on your stovetop at home. There are too many variables. Different burners and pots/pans carry over heat differently, and different pots/pans retain moisture differently.

To show you what I mean, here is how I cook large batches of rice at work using a pressurized steam kettle:

1 parts rinsed rice by volume
1.24 parts water

Add boiling water to rice, stir.
Bring mixture back up to boil, stir again, and seal lid.

This makes absolutely perfect rice. You can see though how the different variables require much less water to cook the rice.

The best suggestion I can give you is to use the method I showed above, but either increase water volume to 1.5 parts, or use a pressure cooker. Boil water before-hand, and add it to the rice. When the mixture comes to a bowl again, stir, put lid on, and remove from heat. Let it sit 30-45 minutes, depending on type of rice. Don't open lid until at least 30 minutes, or 40 minutes for brown rice.

I can't stress enough how much more accurate it is to boil water first, before you measure it.

Do not measure water into a pot and then boil it. Boil a bunch of water and then measure the amount you need.

Comes out foolproof in my pressure cooker. I bought some indian basmati $20 for 15lbs or so.

Here's how I do it, 2 cups of rice at a time every few days.

Bring 3 cups of water with a bayleave to a boil
Add 2 cups of rice to boiling water
Close pressure cooker, get it to high pressure for 1 minute, take off heat, let it sit 10min.

Open pressure cooker in 10min, all done, fluffy and perfect basmati.

I let it sit for another 10 minutes or so uncovered, then fluff it up with a large fork, sometimes I add evoo or butter to it when fluffing up.

Here's how I do it and I like it a lot:
Wash the rice until the water is clear. I sometimes soak it, but I never noticed much of a difference, except that it needs a bit less water and that it's cooked sooner.
Put it into cold water (about 2:1 ratio)
Bring it to a boil on low heat, covered.
I turn the stove off once I can't see the water anymore.
Let it sit, covered, for about 10 minutes or until I finish cooking the rest of the food.

>Odd, whenever I've gone anything over 15 minutes, I just obviously overcooked rice.
not enough water or too much heat
I cook with a pot by the way. A friend of mine uses a rice cooker and he burns the bottom of the rice every single time

>I just got one and I like it. On a quest to spice up my rice
Pun intended?

Out of interest, what's the minimum ratio of water to rice that Veeky Forums would allow?

Differs per variety
From 1 and a quarter to 2 and half.

tfw been eating rice every day since I got a rice cooker.
For months
No more potatoes.

What are some good seasonings to throw in the pot if I want to give my rice a little more flavor?

I'm no pro and not sure if it works with every rice, but i do everytime the same simple steps:
For 2 people take two cups water and one cup rice (same cup sizes!)
Boil the water and add the rice.
Now cook until the rice soaked all the water/until there is no more water left.
Keep in mind to stir it so that it don't get burned.

Pro tip: sometimes I add hot curry paste to the rice while it cooks

Onion, garlic, leek obviously
Basically any type of stock vegetable, such as celeriac, carrot
But really what you want to do is replace 25% of your water with vinegar

>good seasonings
How do most people season rice anyway? I'm only aware of a couple of ways to do it.

A bit ago an user told me north americans make shitty rice because we do 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and leave it uncovered. He told me to do 1:1 and cover it. I said he was dumb.

user I was wrong. This rice is so fucking good. If you're here, thank you. It cooks faster and it has the perfect texture. Oddly there isn't even less of it.

My mom tried teaching me her method to make rice. For the record we are Iranian and use basmati.

You wash it hella times, then flatten the rice and fill pot with water so it comes up to the first crease on the inside of your finger, opposite the knuckle. The tip of your finger must be just touching the top layer of rice for this measurement.

Add salt, butter and oil. (Can't tell you measurements she eyeballs it every time.) Bring it to a boil, uncovered. When the water evaporates enough so that the bubbles stop forming, mix it up, set to low and cover until it's fluffy and cooked

Shit's whack

We call it tadeek, it's not burnt like black burnt. It's just crispy and golden. Fucking delicious

Ok, as promised, I'm doing this tomorrow. Just to check that I've understood, this is what I'm planning to do:
Wash the shit out of the rice.
Measure out my usual amount of rice (roughly 125g raw).
Pour enough water on the rice to cover it, since I don't know jack shit about estimating 1/2".
Add a pinch of salt, because why the fuck not. I'm still not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Bring it to boil.
Watch the rice while I prepare other shit, expect to hear "a crack or two" once the water is nearly gone. How long does this usually take anyway?
Remove from heat, stir, cover.
Wait 10 minutes.
Stir, serve.

This is exactly how I cook my rice. I almost exclusively eat basmati fwiw.

you pour water in pan , high fire , wait till it bubles.
then trow rice in it , put some soja suas if you want .
i put some oil in it and some salt .
LET it cook for 10 to 12 min , i mostly scoup a little to taste it .

never had troubles with it.

ps ,

after your done , you put it into another pan than wash it out under the sink.
you know that pan with those holes in it.

It's convenient. Every asian family has one, it's like their equivalent of a toaster

What is rice actually supposed to be like?

The only time I ate rice it was a mushy piece of shit and the texture made me feel like vomitting.

Fresh rice mixed with steam vegetables, soy sauce, and a bit of sesame oil is really good

However you want it to be.

So, basically the same method as OP?

Rice is nice.

This is where you're fucking up. You don't put the rice in the water and let it come up to boil. It'll be soggy and mushy. Add the rice after the water has come to full boil, wait for the water and rice to start boiling again, cover TIGHTLY, reduce heat to as low as you can go and wait 20 minutes. Don't ever open the top to check.

Here's a stream-lined process and I guarantee you'll have perfect rice

1. In a pot, add 9 oz of water and 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil (optional) and let it come to a rolling boil. Do not add salt.
2. While it's heating, wash the 8oz of rice. Once for most rices, twice if glutinous like Korean rice, any more than that is extraneous
3. Add the rice to the boiling water, stir, and wait for it to come to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly making sure no air can escape, and wait 20 minutes. Do not open to check.

That's all there is to it. I like my rice a little dryer so it absorbs more, so I do a 1.1:1 ratio of water to rice. 1.2:1 is standard, 1.3:1 if you like it softer

>You don't put the rice in the water and let it come up to boil. It'll be soggy and mushy
It makes no fucking difference senpai, my rice is never mushy. The important part is not to stir the rice so that it doesn't get covered with water after the fact

>This is where you're fucking up. You don't put the rice in the water and let it come up to boil. It'll be soggy and mushy.
As in the OP, what I'd usually do is boil the water first and then add the rice, what I posted earlier was my attempt at understanding the other user's instructions.

>Implying rice isn't finicky as fuck when you don't cook it in a rice cooker

Your rice sounds terrible and you sound like you've never had good rice

I've got some uncle ben's spicy mexican wholegrain rice and then 230g worth of chicken breat fillet, how can they go well together without it being dry.

Last time I had it I just smothered it in tomato ketchup.

Dumb question, but I've seen a lot of talk about ratios of water to rice here.

These are by volume, right? Doing it by weight sounds retarded, but I just wanted to double check.

Welp, doing this is like 45 minutes or something. Hoping for the best, just gonna stick to my usual 2:1 water:rice ratio. I'll probably reduce it as this thread has recommended in the future.

Yes, volume. Kinda silly to measure water by weight, don't you think

Twice as much water to rice? Is this a troll? Have you never tasted or felt the texture of properly cooked rice before?

>Twice as much water to rice? Is this a troll? Have you never tasted or felt the texture of properly cooked rice before?
Not a troll as all, it's even what I mentioned in the OP. I've seen that ratio mentioned in a few places, to mind: one weird student cookbook I once read and the instructions for one pack of rice that I once had and also a few websites. I'm pretty sure that some anons here even mentioned that they were familiar with that ratio.

As for never tasting properly cooked rice before... now that you mention it, I probably haven't. My mother always used to buy pleb tier microwave or even boil-in-the-bag shit, I rarely get rice in restaurants, but in one place where I did it a rice dish regularly, I was pretty damn certain it was microwaved (the grains were all separate, and they were way too fucking long) otherwise the only other rice I've had came from Chinese takeaways, and fuck knows how they do it, I don't recall anything unique about them, I've been meaning to give it a more critical look, but I've not ordered from one of them in years.

Does anyone else like eating plain white rice? Don't get me wrong, I like other kinds, but I can eat white rice by itself and actually enjoy it. Am I weird?

It's actually super convenient to measure everything by weight. Just using the one instrument for everything saves so much messing around if you're doing stuff more complicated than just rice.

rice:water ratio in cooker - 1:2
this is standard for white rice, med long grain, for every cooker i've come across
for short grain a little less water - 1:1.5

probably the reason people are swearing by a different ratio in here, is because they cook manually with a pot, and/or tampering with ingredients, e.g, using broth, adding butter/olive oil
but there you go

yes you are, snowflake

So I kinda figured I'd get a rice cooker since I don't mind easy to clean unitaskers, and feel like I could make some cool stuff in them. (Like those THICC pancakes, quick steamed vegetables, etc) I've owned some of those smaller cheaper ones, but I figured I could invest in a slightly nicer one to just leave on my counter.

What Capacity should I get though? I figured an 8 cup rice cooker is more than enough for me, but the 20 cup one has a slow cooker feature. However, I feel like i RARELY make more than 2 cups of rice at the most.

It entirely depends on what type of rice you're using though. Glutinous and long grain could use 1:1.5, jasmine is best at 1:1.2, brown rice I guess could require 1:2 but that's still so much water IMO. All it's doing is taking longer to cook.

Plus I like my rice to have a fluffiness to it, don't want dense sticky clumps of starchy rice. I swear by 1:1.2. Always works. Ofc this ratio gets skewed once you make more than 1 cups of rice

Wash rice with cold water in strainer.
Pour couple tbsp olive oil onto cold pan.
Pour 3/4 cup of rice into pan.
Add 1 cup of water or chicken stock.
//Optional: Add 1tbps ground cardamom, 2tbps ras al hanout.
Cover.
Raise burner to somewhere at the top end ~85-95% for two minutes.
Lower burner to 15% for 8 minutes.
Boiling water will steam rice. DO NOT REMOVE LID.
//Optional: Add cooked peas and carrots.

BOOM. delicious. you're welcome.

I was only asking because people seem to hate plain rice. At least in my experience.

Well, went and did it. As predicted, it burned and I accidentally made the tadeek stuff that mentioned. Long story short, the burned taste of the tadeek overwhelmed the rice, so I can't comment on if the rice improved or not.

I'm not too sure where I went wrong, maybe my ratio of water was too high (causing the rice to be heated for too long), or maybe I just expected the cracks to be louder and ignored the cracks that I should've been listening for. By a rough estimate it was on the heat for about 15 minutes. I didn't notice any dimples.

I guess I'll try again more carefully tomorrow until I've got the method working, then I'll either stick to it or just move to another user's method.

>I don't get it

Consider that rice cookers are massively ubiquitous in places like Japan with a huge rice culture where rice is a key staple of the diet and eaten with virtually every meal. Now if they have adopted it and praised it so why wouldn't you?

Rice may be a key staple in Japan, but space is limited and not everyone has a stove. A plug-in rice cooker and/or electric grill is incredibly useful if you don't have a kitchen, or even cookware.

Don't listen to him user. It's perfectly fine to eat rice by itself. In fact I enjoy eating a bowl of parboiled rice by itself.

Buy steam stand at any Asian store: $1-$4

Put rice in any bowl, wash until water is clear fill with 1/2" water

Put steam stand in pot. Add water under steam rack.

Put bowl in

Steam for 30 minutes

i just dont like rice

>Not liking something that you can make literally tasteless, and lack almost any texture.

You're thinking of an oven.
Every single apartment and home has a stove. If its a cheap place, itll be the kind you buy at the appliance store instead of being built into the counter, but every apartment built since the 70s has atleast a space for the stove and a gas connector nearby. Even the appliance stoves can be pretty nice and the only annoying thing is how gross they get underneath.

Japanese people have rice cookers because, there is a lot of rice in their diet AND rice cookers cook rice better than cooking on the stove.

Why even come to the thread then if you have nothing to contribute on the topic of rice?

Also anyone know where to buy large amounts of the shorter grain rices since most stores only seem to carry long grain rice.

Go to the Asian grocery store. They have bulk and the smaller sizes are usually half of what you pay at the regular grocery store from the ethnic aisle

"A New Way to Cook" has a good one:
heat 1 1/2 tsp olive oil in a metal pot, add 1 cup rice, stir until an aroma develops and rice is coated. add 2 cups boiling water, and 1/2 tsp salt. transfer the pot to the oven, bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until water is boiled away. just remember to
NOT GRAB THE POT HANDLES WITH YOUR BARE HANDS, GODDAMMIT.

>You're thinking of an oven.
kek

Pro-tip

If you dont have access to a rice cooker, when cooking your rice in a pot, wrap a dry cloth around the underside of the lid.

The cloth will absorb extra steam that can make your rice claggy.

I just boil rice and taste it near the end to see when it's about done, drain it, then let it sit with a lid on for about 5 minutes. Works with pretty much every rice, if you follow close to the suggested cooking time (anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes)

I've literally always made my rice by putting it in with the water then bringing it to a boil then simmering it down for 15 (basmati) and it's never soggy, it's not amazing, sometimes it's actually even a little hard, but it's definitely not overcooked, stop acting like you know how everything works.

> it's not amazing, sometimes it's actually even a little hard

So its garbage

that's only sometimes, mostly it's completely fine and about as good as what you expect from an indian restauraunt.