How do I stop fucking up my steaks...

how do I stop fucking up my steaks? my thermometer said 130 when I pulled this off but it was medium ruined when I cut into it.

Other urls found in this thread:

reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/
thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-instant-read-thermometer/
thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's called "carry over"

Remember next time

Cook it for less time and don't worry about it being undercooked.

reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/
I was using this chart. what should I be taking it off at?

the meat on the inside is cooler than the meat on the outside, and it continues to cook after it's taken out of the oven. keep this in mind next time.

take it out 120-125 and rest it.

judge by touch, not temp.

also, as others have said, meat & veggies continue to cook after removing from heat.

This is how I do mine.
>heat gas BBQ on max heat (Weber Q), I can't be bothered lighting coals for one steak.
>steak on, lid down
>two minutes later flip, lid down again
>another two minutes later take it off and rest for 3-5 minutes.

should I measure right next to the bone or more in the middle of the meat parts?

>7612961
Middle.

Ignore this dumbass

It also depends what cut of meat you're cooking. Touch and temperature are both useful ways but it's also experience and personal likings. Also are you searing it and finishing the cooking in the oven or are you doing it all stove top. Do you baste that bad boy in butter. How stick is the meat. Did you temper it? Did you rest it after? So much to consider.

**how thick is the meat

was it frozen beforehand? some cuts of frozen steak look more done than they are when you're done, too, due to discolor by freezer burn

Touch is the right way. Who has the time to temp each stake before it is over cooked.

don't use a thermometer for steaks that's autistic. you just gotta feel it mayn. know the meat. cook more and you'll git gud.

after 2 minutes on each side it was at 110. I melted some butter on it for another minute and it was reading 130, but I guess I was measuring in the wrong place.

who the fuck honestly is so pleb they need to use a thermometer for small pieces of meat lmao

If I had a thermapen or something I would use on fucking everything I could

my thermapen is still in the mail

>just touch it

you guys realize this is pretty useless advice to someone who doesn't already know how to cook meat well right?

all they're gonna do is touch it and say "yeah its hot"

The trick i learned is involving the piece of your hand between your pointer finger and thumb.
>poke it with open hand is rare
>poke it with thumb touching pointer is mid rare
>poke it with thumb tucked is ruined

--Don't oil the pan
--Oil the 'down side' by brushing it on, then season it.
-- 4 minutes, 30 seconds
-- while the down side is cooking, oil and season the 'up side', then flip it.
-- cook the up side for about 5 minutes.
-- When you remove it, let it SIT for about 4-5 minutes and cool.
-- Don't worry about exact temperature. If you cut into it and the COLOR isn't what you like, the modify your plan to cook Shorter(for pinker) or Longer(for more well done).
-- Life is an experiment. Keep at it until you get it how you like it.
I just had a T Bone steak that I would consider one of the Best in my LIFE. You might have thought it was terrible, I neither know nor give a shit. Now carry on.
> You're welcome

cooking time is useless without mentioning the thickness of the cut. if it's under 3/4", 9.5 minutes will be past well done.

you make a good point. I assumed the cut was just under an inch thick. Take my advice for meat just between 3/4" and 1" thick.

this, 100%.

It's also useless because different stoves, pans, etc, have different heat outputs.

No it isn't. If OP knows his stove, it will be a constant. End of story. Heat for a cut of meat is one temperature: HIGH. I've set my skillet to smoking before I knew better. Now quit making it more difficult than it should be.
Rule 1: KEEP Experimenting with it. Learn and remember. If you do a thing and it turns out badly, then DON'T do it the next time. LEARN BY FAILING.

>OP knows his stove

Sure, OP's stove will be a constant for OP. But it won't be the same as my stove, or the recipe author's stove.

>>Heat for a cut of meat is one temperature: HIGH
Perfect example. On the range in my home, it would be medium-high (at first, anyway. One would turn it down as the cooking progresses). On my parent's viking range "high" would turn the steak into carbon.

>>If you do a thing and it turns out badly, then DON'T do it the next time.

While I agree with that sentiment, it's a lot fucking simpler to learn via a thermometer. Or explain to someone how to adjust the temperature and keep it correct.

Actual guide here

1)dont use tbone unless you have to.

season
pan
steak in
seal one side
flip
cook
6 minutes
flip
1 minute
done

it's hard to lean by failing when every mistake costs $15 and a shitty dinner

on high heat?

You'd start at high heat, sure. But you may have to adjust the heat as it cooks. You can do this easily by using your senses.

Listen for the meat sizzling when it hits the skillet. No sizzling? Pan is not hot enough.

If you see smoke (not to be confused with steam), then the heat is too high. Adjust as needed to maintain a sizzle but no smoke.

Asking for a fixed setting of the knob is retarded. It's just as silly as asking "how far should I step on the gas pedal to drive my car 60 mph". There is no single answer as it depends on your car, and you also change how far you depress the pedal as you drive. You might step on it pretty hard to accelerate, then ease off once you reach speed. Same thing in the kitchen.

cheers

just leave it cooking for longer... not hard.

Medium rare is take it to 115 and let it rest in a warm place, tented with foil for 10 minutes

thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-instant-read-thermometer/
thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html
$20 and 99% accurate and 95% as fast as the Thermapen they also make.

You actually asked me, and my simple answer is YES, high heat.
I reiterate:
-- remove as much water on the steak beforehand;
-- brush oil onto 'side 1' and season;
-- put skillet on high, put side1 down for 4min 30 sec;
--while side1 is cooking, brush oil on & season side 2;
-- flip it over onto side 2 for 4:30 to 5min if you like medium well, I do;
if it starts to smoke, cover it until the 4:30 mark
-- let it sit for 5min.

I can't be clearer than that. I also STAND BY my RULE 1: Experiment with it, and change it to suit your taste. You rich kids with your thermometers can go stuff them up your arses.
See

Also:
*CRUCIAL* remove the steak from refrigeration 1 hour before you cook it so it can come to room temperature and cook more evenly.

Preheat the pan for a while so as soon as you put the steak down it sizzles

it doesn't matter if its room temp or not

"Once it's off the grill all the heat cooking it goes away!"

It takes a fuck of a lot longer than an hour for the steak to come up to temp.

It does help if it's room temp, but "leaving out out for an hour" doesn't achieve anything. It takes a lot longer to come up to temp than most people think.

It's sad how mainstream food culture is so folkish and sentimental, hostile to science and classicism (elitism, "reductionist", "autistic" etc they say).

It' because the best cooks could often just "wing it" so they encouraged others to disregard theory and skepticism. Thereby all these food myths abound.

>medium

Why's that "ruined" you fucking reddit faggot

Just because it isn't le fedora bleu rare in the middle so you can brag to your manly man-friends on /r/cooking doesn't mean it's ruined

Why don't you factor the taste, the crust, the quality of meat instead of the fucking doneness?

Maybe you're just a shit meme-chef. Get the fuck out kid. Pshhh.