25 cups chicken stock

25 cups chicken stock
4 bones in the freezer for more stock later
Shredded chicken for lunch tomorrow

How productive were you guys tonight?

First post best post

I had a smaller chicken, didn't have any clean jars to pour the stock into, so I had to use this.

I'm not sure if it may be burnt, but it's definitely a little well-done.

I was up at 7am to finish prepping a lecture on early islamic history which I gave at 2pm. After that I went in to my second job managing a locally owned restaurant from 3:30pm to close. After that I met with some co-workers from the restaurant to discuss employee/owner issues with particular focus on hiring and the owner's lack of restaurant management skills.

Got home and made ziti in a cream sauce with tomato and mushrooms.

Altogether, a pretty productive but somewhat frustrating day.

and you need the whole evening just for that?
>early Islamic history...
in USA? and students are interested in that?

Yes, in USA. I took a similar course as an undergrad in the late 90s, I was one of six in the class. Due to the increased relevance of Islamic thought and practice in the last twenty years there are now nine students in the course I'm teaching.

You sound like a faggot.

As do you.

Do you have a PhD or are you a doctoral student?

Doctoral student, about a year out from the degree assuming that I decide that the PhD is a better option than going into 13$/hour kitchen work full time.

We'll see.

When I make chicken stock I essentially use 2 carcasses and some chicken wings or other parts that are cheap. I always reduce it a little until I end up with 1 litre of chicken stock. I dunno how people end up with so many cups of the stuff.

>I dunno how people end up with so many cups of the stuff.

When I make it I buy a 25-lb box of chicken backs from the local butcher, 10 lbs of chicken feet from the Asian market, then fire up my big pressure cooker. That gets me roughly 4 gallons of stock per batch.

Why are 2 of the jars so dark? Just the glass shade?

Also, could you gimme a quick rundown on canning? I've always been nervous to put glass jars in a pot of boiling water.

How do you even freeze all that?

you need a pressure canner to can anything other than fruit

i'm roasting about 8lbs of beef bones right now for stock that i'm going to prepare today and can tomorrow

Really? I don't know if I could justify spending that mount of money on it.

I would only be doing the occasional canning. Like sauces I make.

You sure I can't just do it with stuff I have in my kitchen?

yes, anything low acid needs to be pressure canned and lots of foods can't be canned at all (pasta, dairy, rice for examples)

read up somewhere like www.freshpreserving.com

botulism is deadly so don't fuck around

all that being said canning is awesome.. if you can scrape together ~$100 or so for a decent presto canner or find a good deal on a second hand one (be careful about those tho) you'll find it will pay for itself quite quickly

Because stock gets used so frequently you don't need to do much in terms of processing it once jarred. Just pour it into a jar and let the heat from the stock create the seal. Once the lid is on let it sit until the little flexible center on the jar lid stays down instead of flexing. It will create a residual seal and can be stored for a good 2 months in the freezer.

The 5 smaller jars are going into the freezer, doesn't require much space.

The larger jar is left in the fridge for cooking over the next few days. Probably enough there for 2 nights of risotto and some left over for soup or a sauce for another night of dinner. At least enough to last me the rest of the week.

Wow really? I made a batch of vegetable stock from all my trimmings I save in a ziploc in the freezer. I put them in the jars after it cooled down but was still warm, and I didn't know the heat was what made the seal actual seal the jars!

Thank you, i learned something today.

You're old enough to post on Veeky Forums but you didn't understand thermal expansion?

Yup. I never thought about it to be honest.

Also drunk. So I'm in an unusual cheerful mood.

Picked about 2 gallons of blackberries in 3 hours. Made a cobbler and divvied up the rest for the freezer. Going back out this weekend. Takes a while but worth it. I need more So I can make some wine.

I masterbated

Dadgum that's a lot of blackberries. Cool

i came

>implying that's chicken broth

Just made some liver and onions

Have we found a new couple?

I've never eaten any type of fruit cobbler before. It looks good. Can you, or anyone else recommend a good recipe?

You sound pretentious as fuck.

fag

You actually saved that pic...

>knowing things is pretentious
You sound like a flyover
Why wouldn't you reduce and freeze that? Seems like an inefficient use of space

I'm not OP, but I often can stock. Two main reasons:
1) When it's canned I can store it anywhere at room temperature. However frozen stock takes up room in the freezer. I have much more room in the pantry than I have in the freezer.

2) I can use the room-temp canned stock instantly without having to wait for it to thaw. I can just open the jar and use it straight away.

>you can't can pasta

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

>what are spaghettios