Is a water boiler a good purchase?

Is a water boiler a good purchase?

No.

Maybe.

Yes.

Well, it isn't a very economical purchase really, having a miniature water heater in your house will increase your power bill (although not by much and you probably won't notice the increase) and it only fills the role of having boiling water at the ready.

If you eat a bunch of ramen or other instant soups, drink a bunch (2+ pots a day) of tea, or something along those lines, having an instantly available correct temperature water source is pretty fucking snazzy, I won't lie.

If you just drink the occassional cup of tea and rarely eat instant soups and such, it is not a good purchase at all.

I own one and use the piss out of it, but that is because I drink a whole bunch of tea.

IF you do happen to get one, only use distilled water (another expense) or else you stand a good chance of building up scale (in all pots) and rust in some. Clean it out and let it dry out once a week too for good measure.

You can get a decent one for about $60 these days.

>Americans call an electric kettle a "water boiler"

Well it is that. I call it an electric kettle though, because it is also that.

yes, I was sick of buying boiling water but now I just make my own

Yeah.

>building up scale
Boil a vinegar solution to dissolve it away.

Like mentioned. If you're using it every day, yeah, it's a good purchase. I've been thinking about buying one for a while,but I don't have the counter space in my tiny studio apartment for one.

I have a 220V 3kW cup on demand water boiler and it's pretty nice. You put your cup under, grab some tea/ramen/instant and by the time you turn around you have a cup of boiling water.

Energy efficient and convenient. With a 1.5 kW one I guess it would be much less convenient though, twice the wait (which is what you'll usually get in the US, because of 120V).

It's not a kettle, it's a "hot water pot". It keeps water hot all day so you don't have to wait for it to boil.
You brits have something similar in your battle tanks because tea.

You mean a kettle?

No.

Yeah I've had them throughout my life. Very convenient and use them every day.

If you have the spare cash it is really fucking cool to be able to pull boiling hot water at any point. An electric kettle would be much cheaper and just have to wait for it to heat up but my friend has one of these and it is super fucking convenient.

no. better than having boiling water available in an instant, is having the presence of mind to know when you'll need boiling water 3 mins ahead of time.

No sir, not all of us do. Where I live ( in the northern mid-west region ) most of us would most likely just call it a kettle because it has "kettle" in the name. Then again, I'm sure almost as many of us would opt for a stove-top kettle ( I have one ) because buying a third heating device for the kitchen ( Oven/Stove is one, Microwave is two ) would just be redundant. I'm pretty sure a lot of this would apply to most other areas in the U.S. excluding areas filled with hypocritical liberals.

inb4 "not all liberals are hypocritical-" I know not all of them are and I never said all of them were.

Yes, very convenient.

Ihave one, I use it everyday

The cool glass ones are nice, but a lot of Amazon comments scare the hell out of me and mention there is plastic contact somewhere inside.

Because of that, I bought the recommended Secura brand. Not glass, but looks nice.

just spring for zojirushi desu

I don't understand. Here in the Netherlands, you can have one for like €15-20 and almost everyone has one. It's not even something you really ponder about buying.

>I can't comprehend different cultures let alone the appliances they frequently use

A Japanese-made hot water dispenser starts at $130

I got one as a gift and used it every single day before I accidentely broke it. One thing it will do, it will make you a regular tea drinker and that greatly improved my consumption of green tea and my overall health.

Get one if you like tea.

>I ignore the fact that such a simple, cheap and time-saving appliance should be commonplace in all civilised cultures.

Then don't buy a Japanese-made hot water dispenser, but just a simple electric water boiler.

A simple electric kettle is made of plastic and doesn't keep water hot for immediate dispensing all day.

Who would want that, that would cost a shit load of electricity.

People who drink tea all day, usually.
And it wouldn't cost a shit load, the thing is insulated and keeping things hot is probably less energy than boiling cold water several times a day.

I read something that the voltage difference between the US and Europe rockets up the electricity cost of these things as well as making them boil much slower so they aren't worth it unless you're really constantly using it.

>Who would want that
Anyone who wants hot water instantly for tea, coffee, noodles, whatever...

>> that would cost a shit load of electricity.
It does not. Those things are super energy efficient and very well insulated.

The different voltage standards have nothing whatsoever to do with cost. However, it does mean that the American (or Japanese) types are slower to boil the water than the European version.

I'm not him but can you even get non-insulated kettles anymore? My one keeps the boiled water hot for hours so I just boil a full one and use that.

Are you sure you aren't just buying it because you are a weeaboo? Blindly buying something because of trivial reasons is never a good idea.

>I'm not him but can you even get non-insulated kettles anymore?

I have no idea, I've never shopped for one. My point was simply that thanks to their insulation quality OP's type of water boiler does not take very much electricity to keep hot.

>>Are you sure you aren't just buying it because you are a weeaboo?

I don't own one. But I have used them in the past when I had Azn roommates in college, and they're fucking conveinent for whenever you want hot water. Zero waiting. But I don't own one because I don't drink coffee or tea. Nor do I make instant noodles. So I don't really have a use for one.

I have never seen a single insulated electric kettle in a store, most are cheap plastic shits and even an expensive one will just be single-wall glass.

Also the water pot will keep water at a specific temperature, which is very important for tea.

you mean an overpriced kettle?

That's what you have a teapot for, idiot. You put the hot water in a thick ceramic container, put the lid on, and stick a tea cosy over it to keep it all snug and warm.