Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I want a sous vide device. Should I just go ahead and order the Anova, or wait a few weeks for the more expensive Joule? Joule seems like it has better bells and whistles along with integrated recipe support, but the Anova is 60-70 dollars cheaper.

Joule limits you on what vessels you can use and if you really need some program to set water temperature for you then maybe you should stay away from bain marie cooking

>integrated recipe support

I preordered the Joule and I don't know if I'm even supposed to say this but they sent out an email a few days ago saying that they had a couple of problems with the first manufacturing run that they sent back to the engineering team and they violated some power usage thing for the FCC standards (because it uses bluetooth/wifi) so they're not even going to ship preorders in May like they intended so if you've got your heart set on that one I wouldn't pull the trigger just yet.

Dude, thank you for that. I'm must gonna go ahead and get the anova.

>a sous vide device
you mean a immersion heater...

>Joule limits you on what vessels you can use

no it doesn't

>f you really need some program to set water temperature for you

it's just a control interface you dumb nigger

If you can wait for this get the joule
I would get it solely for the better designed coil heater.

Why the fuck are you pretentious fuckers always using the french name for your shit? I'm pretty sure this trend didn't even come from there.

I've had the anova for a couple of years and it works as it should. I've only had a couple of issues with it. That being said, once the joule comes out I'll probably sell my old one and upgrade. It's a superior design from what I've seen.

>I'm pretty sure this trend didn't even come from there.

i got bad news for you son

Is this thread just because Jack attempted to sous vide in his latest video?

Maybe its because the latest video over at Chefsteps used sous vide. And the video before that. And the video before that. Oh and they're also the creators of the joule.

boo hoo modernist chefs use modernist techniques

i think you meant
>shill chefs shill their own products

if you're implying that they use sous vide in order to sell the joule that means they've been playing a pretty fucking long game for the last several years

Are you supposed to first use the stove to get the temperature up? 1.1 kW isn't a whole lot.

No, we're implying that the brand of sous vide device they show in their videos was chosen to be the one that they happen to profit from selling.

you can use the stove if you want to speed up the initial heating; 1.1kw is plenty to maintain a constant heat though. It's serious overkill if you use an insulated container.

you're outright stating that, seemingly with the intention of implying something more sinister about this thread.

...isn't the intention obvious and not sinister at all?

...the fact that they might not be showing the BEST sous vide appliance, but rather the one that they profit from selling? In other words, just because they show it in a video doesn't mean it's the best choice?

that doesn't seem to be the original point made in this post: it looks more like it's about them using sous vide full stop.

and for the record, they did use other devices on the market, before they designed and built this one.

>tfw preordered joule when it was 100$ off
>get real fucking excited its almost may
>email from chefsteps telling me joule got delayed

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>mounts to the bottom of the vessel using a magnet
>not limiting you to magnetic vessels of a certain height

>control interface
It shows you pretty pictures of doneness because you're too fucking stupid to know what medium or medium rare is.
I typically start with hot water from the faucet depending on the end result I want, the immersion heaters are very efficient in heating the water moreso than the stove unless you have induction that is.

it has the standard clip as well.

>It shows you pretty pictures of doneness

in addition to the standard temp/time control settings.

get over yourself user, specs wise it is a better bit of kit than the current consumer models.

Joule has NO PHYSICAL BUTTONS. That alone ruined it for me.

Some people don't need the physical controls. They went with a smaller, more powerful design to try and add diversity to the market.

This would work nicely if you have only one Thermostat.

Otherwise the one with the highest temperature setting will do most of the work.

It also seems more volatile.

i just posted that image to show the size difference.

I'm pretty happy with my anova
Use it for chicken, veggies, eggs, makes a nice steak
Was disappointed with the results of a burger but I was told it wouldn't be very good so it was just an experiment

i don't really see the point in sv for burgers unless they're very thick or very lean

same with steaks honestly

I know. I just mused a bit about using more than one.

does the joule have a pump or fan to circulate the water or is it just relying on convection?

It circulates. Watch the video.
It's also completely submergeable, one thing the others don't offer.
It also has no manual controls, so I'm like for now.
Using a Sansaire for over 2 years now. How come everyone levitates toward the Anova? I picked the Sansaire because it can be used without a clip. There's not a lot of differences between the two.

>How come everyone levitates toward the Anova?
Personally because they had it on sale for $100 when i picked it up.

Burgers can be cooked to a safe internal temperature without drying the meat. Steaks, no real point.

I think I'm just going to try doing this with ziplock bags and a candy thermometer.

Trying to maintain the temperature for 2+ hrs will be a bit of a pain in the ass but I'm a poorfag.

This works...

Been there, done that... Back to the skillet and hot fat.

Boom!

Did it a couple times like this and was able to keep 130 for 2 hours by using the lowest setting and adding 5 ice cubes every 15 minutes.