Why is it that japanese food seems to be the only asian food you fuckers seem to be into...

Why is it that japanese food seems to be the only asian food you fuckers seem to be into? Is it what's called "weeaboo" phenomenon?

0/10

I don't like the sweet/non sweet combinations most other asian cuisines use, but I actually prefer Korean to japanese

Mostly because japanese cuisine uses less exotic and "weird" ingredients than chinese or thai, so it's easier to find and cheaper; unless you live in a city with a big asian community.

>japanese food
>cheap

pick one

Because japanese food is very focused on bringing out the natural flavors of the ingredients, whereas a lot of other asian cuisine masks a lot of that with a ton of spices (which is often also very delicious, but western palates are used to more subtlety. I also very much Korean food though.

That sushi looks really unappetizing. I mean, is that a roll with a single cucumber piece?

Speaking of Asia Afghan cuisine is actually quite good.
I had a lamb stew with dates and it was pretty dam tasty.

Most people on Veeky Forums are unfamiliar with japanese food though, they know sushi, or at least, their flyover version of sushi with the gross tuna and gross salmon and unagi that comes from a plastic bag (you can tell someone is flyover because unagi is their favorite, which is understandable when you consider that it's the only thing that is cooked and therefore the least skeezy thing on the average flyover sushi restaurant's menu). But actual Japanese food, lolno.

They don't know other asian cuisines, or really, anything that isn't "normal food", keeping in mind to these people mexican food (i.e. taco bell) gives you diarrhea and french food uses the most extravagantly expensive ingredients and is highly pretentious. Because that's what happens when you grow up in a food desert.

In short, your premise is flawed. Nobody around here knows anything about food, we just argue about hair-splitting differences between fast food menus and junk food from the gas station that was discontinued in 2003 (only 90s kids will get this)

Japanese food isn't only grade 1 bluefin tuna sushi and wagyu you dipshit.

>pho and banh meme

never seen this pasta before

Proper Japanese food is worse than British food.

>raw squid
>boiled beef
>natto
>sake

Sushi is pretty good, though.

Are you so illiterate that anything with more than 3 words must be pasta?

>japanese food
Bland

because most people on every board are massive weeaboos.

>Pure
fixed

Asian memefoods:
sushi
pho
chinese takeout

Oh, so it's just autism and not pasta then?

Banh mi

Like the Western palates that eat ghost pepper chicken burger at Wendy's ?

Americans, everyone! Thank you and have a safe drive home.

what is the meaning of this image?

pho is honestly pretty average.

average out of what

all foods

average in what sense

i hate the misuse of this word

Basically this .
I'm as non-weeb as you can get, being a middle aged married white guy, but I love Japanese food because of both the clean flavors, the presentation, and the combinations of flavors. It's not that I don't love other asian food, Thai and Burmese are two of my other favorites, but I always start craving Japanese food. Funnily enough, I was going to compare it to Afghan food () in terms of clean, bright flavors. That's another cuisine which is a favorite of mine.

i like jap food because a lot of their food is moist in comparison to western food which tends to be very very dry

>autism
>pasta
>muh memes
that's enough internet for you, young man

I like basically all Asian food.

Korean is my favorite though, Japanese requires extremely high-quality ingredients, many of which aren't available in the west, so meh.

The western palates that eat a steak seasoned with only salt and pepper together with potatoes for dinner. It has become way more common to spice things up a bit more nowadays but the french and italian cuisines still rule supreme in the western world.

>boiled beef

nice try but shabu and sukiyaki are both おいしい as fuck

>being 40, white and married means you can't enjoy animu

the westerner infatuation with jap cuisine, or anything jap emerged long before the terminology weeb was introduced, and even before the kids touting it were born

hint hint the jap econ miracle
there's a reason some paris shops used to have salesmen that spoke jap, instead of chink like today

it was good enough for your grandpas, but now not for you?

are you so insecure that you need to justify yourself before random internet dimwits?

Never been on reddit, and I didn't say I've never enjoyed anime, I'm just not even close to being a weeb. Sorry if I offended your over-reactive weeb sensibilities.

>animu on a food and cooking board

Most Japanese food is simple as fuck; complaining that Japanese food is expensive because of sushi is like complaining that British food is expensive because of Beef Wellington, it's a fancy and rare dish for special occasions.

Anime was a mistake.

I am a mistake..

Japanese is among my least favorite Asian cuisine, though.

>lol user I love japanese food
>has only eaten mall sushi

95% of Japanese food outside of Japan are made by Chinese ppl

No, Dutch East Indies food is far superior.

That's absolutely not true at all.

I don't think you appreciate how many Chinese appropriate Japanese culture. In sheer numbers, I'd say it's at least 95%

Holy fuck this.

>we're so much better than everybody because we see how it REALLY is we're self-aware and that's the most important thing you can be
I'll let you in on a secret. Literally everybody on Veeky Forums just pretends to be retarded for a laugh. Any actual discussion is an accident and done by new users who aren't in on the joke yet.

It's definitely true in the US, maybe not so much in places like Brazil

the fact that when most people think about Japanese food they think of sushi "rolls" just proves that most people don't really know anything about Japanese food

if any of these people actually went on a comprehensive food tour of Japan their minds would be blown by the sheer level of experimentation that goes on there as well as the breadth of traditional foods
Japan is simply the master of fusing old traditions with new and original ideas and it especially shows in their food

In flyover country maybe, not in big coastal cities though.

It's not definitely true in the US. Have you ever been to any coastal city? Sure, in flyover land there may be Chinese-run japanese restaurants, but that doesn't fly in places where people know better and where there's a high Japanese population. On the coasts, you have to worry about koreans passing off as japanese, and even then, it's a dead giveaway.

>food and cooking board on a Mongolian cave painting emporium

Not really. Our food in America is prepared by mexicans most of the time. Chinese restaurants have a few chinks acting as servers but the kitchen is full of Pacos.

Florida or South-west?

That's what the 5% accounts for. Also It's not even the entire coast (at least for the east coast). Go up above Boston or down below DC and it's basically flyover land, and you already know it's filled with takeout joints that sell both sesame chicken and tuna rolls. Even in cities like NY, some of the high end sushi places like New York Sushi Ko and Shuko are are owned and operated by non-japanese. There's simply not that many Japs in this country.

Well, this is a weeb website after all.

>someone's never been to the west coast

That's true, especially those buffet places

Texas here and I agree. Most of the Japanese places have Chinese people running them, and all the Chinese places are run by Mexicans.

i like jap and korean food in general, and thai soups
2/10 shit bait, but made me reply

Indonesian food is the best Asian food.

>someone can't comprehend how the coast that's closest to Japan isn't even close to being representative of the entire food scene of the country

>fancy and rare dish for special occasions

Sushi was peasant food until the gooks learned that we started tricking each other into believing it's something fancy, now gooks have retarded tourist trap sushi restaurants where some old gook overcharges you for standing in front of you and pretending to look competent.

Honestly I greatly prefer chinese food

>gooks
That's nice /pol/, I'm sure you know exactly what you're talking about.

>someone is so wrapped up in their own opinions that they can't fathom how different things are across the country.

Before that even. Oscar Wilde wrote about western obsession with Japan in the 19th century

Sushi is basically artisanal sandwiches for Japan.

this

No it isn't, but I do like the comparison.

>that one faggot who eats the peaches along with his sushi sandwiches instead of as a palate cleanser

makes no sense

sushi is more like the Japanese equivalent of charcuterie or something like that

On the surface, it's kinda comparable to lobster, former cheap shit food that became a delicacy over time.

Maybe if you if you go to shit boards. I bet you go to /b/

Is soy sauce expensive?

yes when it's sold as "exotic asian food" to rich suckers who pay top dollar

Texas. Chinese (or Vietnamese idk arr rook same) and the mexican are at the back cooking or cleaning up.

Japanese here

they're all fucking delicious take your pretentious shit and shove it up your ass

Try not being close minded and realize I gave you an actual tip on how this website works. The sooner you realize it the sooner you can be in on it

You do realize there are restaurants away from the coasts that have sea food flown in, right?

Why would you eat lesser unless you're a worthless poor-fag?

Not that I have a thing for Jap food, but girls tend to get bizarro level excited over some raw fish and rice. And then they'll get tempura rolls... whatever. Internal consistency is too much to expect from a woman.
Or most of the faggots that post here.

>God Tier
Vietnamese

>High Tier
Thai, Korean

>Mid Tier
Japanese, Chinese

>Shit Tier
Mongolian

prove me wrong
you can't

everyone needs to try indian food

natto is actually pretty ok. it just looks disgusting

the irony in this post is unbearable

this
>mfw weeaboos don't realize or flat out deny that japanese culture is just one big appropriation of chinese culture

no chinks appropriate glorious nippon they a nation of so many million people couldnt even defend themselves from our glorious imperial forces and we occupied them and they still take out stuff

I only saw these words
>worthless
>fly
>over
>food
Couldn't agree more senpai

>Mongolian
Do you know how few people outside of East Asia have had proper traditional Mongolian food?

I lived in the midwest for a while, "mongolian food" is a term they use for this kind of pick-your-own-bits stir fry theme exhibition restaurants. It's completely random stuff, like sliced beef and onions and mystery syrup and mushrooms and carrots and so on. You fill your own bowl from a buffet of base ingredients, give it to this guy with an apron over a big hot plate or wok or something (this was some years ago and I don't recall exactly the shape), and he stir fries it for you while doing knife tricks. Like an interactive benihana, if you will.

I am fairly certain that most midwesterners legitimately think that people in mongolia eat like that every day. Someone should seriously write a book about all the crazy shit they believe about food.

>Having a well thought out post is autism now

I think you're overestimating how intelligent you are compared to the average person. I'm from the midwest too, and I don't think anybody I knew from there would say that "mongolian bbq" is what they eat in mongolia.

>I lived in the midwest for a while
why would anyone do that?

>completely outclass the Chinese Army in artillery, armor, logistics, aircraft, and naval support
>still can't beat an army of literal retard peasants armed with exploding rifles

WWII in Asia was really just retard against retard. Both Chinese and Japanese should be ashamed of their conduct, militarily-speaking.

Lived in the Midwest all me life. You're talking about fucking Mongolian Beef, i.e the same dish served in any Chinese takeout restaurant throughout this whole country.

Livin is easy. Daddy's rich and Momma's good lookin'. The corn stalks grow high

>Someone should seriously write a book about all the crazy shit they believe about food
I feel like someone already has. I also feel like someone needs to tell me the name of that book because it sounds like an awesome read.

Sometimes when we meme on the internet it's easy to get confused and think ignorance and stupidity are the same thing. They often go together but they are not the same.

The midwesterners I met were not unintelligent. They had a different sense of humor and were really confused by sarcasm, but they were smart people, in some cases much aware of culture than you might expect - especially classical music. Per capita, I ran into a lot more classical music fans, with a much wider range of tastes, than I do in big, "cultured" cities - even big cultured cities with very famous, very old, very influential classical music institutions.

They were not, on the other hand, particularly well educated about food. Other than an insanely high level of knowledge of beer, the standards were low all around. There might be consensus in some town that a specific restaurant was really great, that I'd be really impressed by it, and, time and time again, it would turn out to be rather mediocre. Greasy, uninteresting flavors, and over-reliant on oil frying everything.

I don't think this makes them stupid. But clearly if you grow up eating that type of food exclusively, and aren't exposed to anything else other than these "mongolian BBQ" and horrible shitty sushi and maybe ramen that's actually Pennsylvania Dutch brand egg noodles in MSG broth and fried onions, and your knowledge of other food cultures comes from watching movies with french villains being snobs before getting their comeuppance, and indiana jones and the temple of doom, you'll end up with some really weird ideas about food.

As a Midwestern

>were really confused by sarcasm
You met lame people, sarcasm is huge but there is a level of respect that is expected that would seem as stuck up by say an east coaster

>They were not, on the other hand, particularly well educated about food
>There might be consensus in some town that a specific restaurant was really great, that I'd be really impressed by it, and, time and time again, it would turn out to be rather mediocre. Greasy, uninteresting flavors, and over-reliant on oil frying everything.

100% true outside of large cities. Its sad really, but seems to be changing.

Even in large cities. Take Chicago for instance. Outside of wealthy professionals who may have a great deal of travel experience (and often originate from somewhere that is not Chicago), the average person may claim to take an interest in food, but what they mean is the same type of greasy pub grub and beer as the rest of the midwest, just under different names. When they say "this place is really great" what they mean is "this place is really familiar to me and nothing on the menu is frightening or challenging to my narrow taste preferences in any way". When they say "this place has great drinks" they mean either (a) the shots are cheap and the frozen margaritas are strong, or (b) great beer selection.

There is a vast chasm between the famous expensive restaurants in Chicago, and the everyday greasy grubby crap that everyone else eats. There is simply no middle ground to speak of, where western dining is concerned, and the average person has no understanding of good food or drink (except beer).

It's a type of restaurant, not a dish.

Look up Genghis Grill

Filipino food is gross though
t. Flip

You fuckers never eat vegetables, its all pork and roast pork and deep fried pork skin and beef and a variety of heavily flavoured meats.

I was made to try this weird mix of pig innards once at a bar and I just forced a smile and told them the taste was pretty unique, and I didn't really like it.

We sometimes eat vegetables as long as they're boiled to mush, preferably in salty vinegar and with gelatinous lumps of meat and maybe a strongly flavored random ingredient that clashes with everything else.

Because Shimesaba Nigiri is

the best sushi

EVER, FIGHT ME