Vegetables

Hey guys. So my dad went to the doctor earlier this week and they told him at his age, he needs to start eating more vegetables. He's kind of picky about them though. (no squash, eggplant off the top of my head.) Loves mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, carrots, CORN...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a vegetable meal? Or just a side dish to make? I'm open to all ideas because I'm tired of just steaming the veggies.

If you take a peeler to an eggplant, it makes it a lot less bitter when you cook it. He might eat it then.

>Does anyone have any suggestions for a vegetable meal
Try the internet
google "vegetable dish" or "vegetable recipes"

Lettuce (I prefer red leaf lettuce) and spinach salad with tomato and balsamic vinaigrette. Toasted almond slices are nice in this too.

Vegetable stir fry.

First off, if he's already eating green beans, broccoli, and carrots then he's getting some damn solid nutrition already. What exactly is it that your doctor thinks your child is lacking?

As for liking other vegges: from personal experience I thought that there were several veggies I didn't like, period. Turns out my parents simply sucked at cooking them. Once I had them cooked properly then it was a whole different story.

>>just steaming
Good lord. Try roasting them in the oven, sauteeing in a pan with a little oil or butter, and making soups.

This is the internet

Think about veggie dishes with meat added like stews with a little meat and lots of veggies.

I've been wanting to make eggplant parm for quite a while now because I like it and my mom does too. So obviously I'd peel it if I'm gonna do that.

I'm gonna start making a salad at every dinner, we all love salad so it's a win-win.

He's 64 and has high cholesterol and a heart problem. He's in damn good shape for his age, but I'm still worried about him because he's my dad, ya know dude?

I was thinking that too. I love using my crock-pot so I'll look up some stuff I can do in there as well.

>He's 64 and has high cholesterol and a heart problem. He's in damn good shape for his age, but I'm still worried about him because he's my dad, ya know dude?

No, I get that. My point is that you might be worried for nothing, and/or misdirecting your efforts.

Did the doc say this out of the blue, or was there a specific nutrient(s) that the Doc said your dad needed? If so, focus on those things.

If there isn't a specific nutrient that he needs then he may not need more variety, just to increase the portion sizes of what he already eats.

With high cholesterol and heart issues, it's not so much that he needs to eat more vegetables, it's that he needs to eat less animal products and saturated fat. So eggplant parm is a good example of what not to do since most of the calories come from cheese, the fat of which is 2/3rds saturated fat. A better way to do eggplant is roasted in the oven

Well it was his first checkup/physical in like about 2 years. We knew about his cholesterol before and he eats Cheerios every morning (it actually helped.)

I don't remember if there's something specific the Dr said, I don't think so though. And he eats enough trust me.

He's 64 and is a traveling copier technician. He's on his feet almost all day and being much more active than most people so he eats a ton.

Thank you, your post reminded me. He said he wanted to eat less food so "fatty" because I'm sure the Dr. told him that.

I really appreciate the fact all of you guys took the time to reply to my post. I just want to help make food for my dad so everything will be ok.

I'm sorry but animal products and dietary fats don't cause heart disease. That's a myth. Lack of exercise, over eating, sugar, and genetics are what cause hear disease.
OP make sure to cook the veggies for easier digestion. Leafy salads should be your only raw veggies eaten regularly.

Thats literally not a myth at all

Stuff like genetics, overeating, and sedentary behavior are contributing factors

Not the primary cause

Ok, maybe I misspoke earlier about his heart.

He doesn't have a heart problem perse, they just want him to take aspirin as a precaution.

Also he is very fit for his age so he is basically exercising daily.

Any veggie suggestions? I'm open to anything.

>no squash
>no eggplant

Just take him out back and put him down like pic related.

The myth is that the link between saturated fat and heart disease is a myth.

(And I never said that "dietary fats" cause heart disease - some fats even have a protective effect, especially DHA consumed in fish)

Dietary fats are saturated fats... there is only two type of fats, trans, a saturated.

Genetics is mainly the cause believe it or not. Processed foods an stuff high I fake sugar speeds up th process.

Occasional vegetarian meal eater here.

Grandfather's soup is pretty good.
Vegetable curries like chana masala or gobi aloo are halfway decent but I typically add shredded carrots or whatever else I have handy.
Sabsi or other spiced spinach is awesome.
Mashed squash with a little salt/pepper and butter.
Tofu is garbage unless fried.
Stir fry if you have the heat output.
Boiled peas and carrots.
Baked kale chips (olive oil and salt) are good but not exactly healthy if you use too much salt.
Portuguese kale soup is my favorite thing to cook ever although you gotta have some meat in there.

>Falling for the vegetable meme
Fucking idiot

It's 3:18 EST. i guess the kids are home from school.

It really isn't. The case of genetics allowing for optimal conditions for heart disease is not that prevalent

Animal fat, proteins, and the cholesterol in them are far more at fault

POO
O
O

Actually American here, I indeed poo in the loo.