General al/ck/s thread

General al/ck/s thread....

Been drinking every other day lately. On the road and it's not helping. Today is hopefully going to be my last day drinking for at least a week or 2. Gonna veg out, drink, watch Netflix all day and stew in my patheticness haha. Evan Williams today. Anyone else having any issues?

For those of you who have self-control, what are y'all drinking today? Anyone tried anything new lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

latamerspirits.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Amorretto with cherry coke is my latest go to drink.
Sickly but it tastes like cherry bakewell tarts.

Evan Williams is a good choice for the daily drinking who frugal but not broke. If you ever see Evan Williams 1783, be sure to get it. It's about the same price, but aged much longer.

When I'm abstaining for a couple weeks, I find that sipping some full sugar soda helps keep me right.

You really don't sound like an alcoholic. Why do many posters here think it's cool to be addicted to alcohol to the point where they will pretend to be?

>Today is hopefully going to be my last day drinking for at least a week or 2.

no, not hopefully. you don't hope for actions you have the will to take by yourself. you take them. you do the thing.

the definition of "alcoholism" has gotten so sorely abused in general that a lot of people actually don't know what qualifies anymore

>life advice from a 16 year old who knows nothing about addiction

13 weeks sober and clean. Waiting for therapy. I went to my first party after detox with people i used to get drunk with. Worked out fine, even danced a little, tho it didn't feel just right. When the drinking games came out i felt kind of out of place. But, no worries the next morning about stupid shit i might have done or said, no shamespiraling turning into a weeklong bender, no memoryloss, not wanting to puke my guts out or rip my head open, no drunk calls, no money wasted. It has it's perks. I wonder if i will ever be able to consume controlled but at this point, at least, i'm not stupid enough to try to find out.

I'm neither frugal nor broke, yet I'm drinking this. Yay being cheap as fuck because after the first chug it all tastes the same.

There's a fine line i think between addiction as a disease which you are helpless against and a lack of willpower. They tell you relaps is a part of addiction, but i hope i'll never find out.

lol motherfucker oh my god

i am a textbook addictive personality, am bulimic, and managed to moderate my alcohol intake after years of drinking 24/7. yes i know about addiction you fucking goon, and i also know that you are stronger than you allow yourself to believe. stop being a miserable fuck who blames your behavior on helplessness. if you want to quit something, fucking be strong and do it.

it has a lot to do, if not everything to do, with how much you want to quit. every human being on this planet is capable of making choices. unless you are being held down against your will, booze funneled down your throat, you can quit if you want to.

a lot of that want, however, is related to factors like your environment and how you feel about yourself. f you don't like yourself and you're in an abusive relationship in a shitty part of town that you hate and have no hobbies, you're probably not going to want to quit. you have to change things.

in my case, i looked in the mirror and just... hated myself for what i'd become and what i WOULD become if i kept drinking like i did. a lot of it, i think, had to do with me having recently figured out that i love to make music. and the fact that my therapist told me i would have to go to rehab... i didn't like the implication that i couldn't do it myself. i didn't like the implication that i was weak.

So you see addiction as weakness? Is going to rehab weak? For me the turning point was, that i was sure i would kill myself if i continued, i was withdrawing hard. And suicide can not be a solution for me. The people i got to know in detox where mostly there for the second or even tenth time. I watched them and talked to some of them and after hearing those stories i vowed i would never take drugs again and do whatever it takes to make sure. Those where people that are going to die in the next years. And they know it, and yet they continue. I don't want to reach the point of no return. I want to life my potential. And if it gets me in tomorrow, so be it.

hm... no, i applaud people who make the choice to go to rehab, if that's what they need to do. addiction itself isn't weakness... how do i explain? i need to know that i'm in control of myself, by myself. i know that not everybody feels this way, and maybe some people need that extra push, but i wanted to do it by myself. so i did. that need to be self-sufficient was somehow strong enough.

that's not to say i wouldn't, or haven't, asked for help on a whole variety of other issues, but i generally feel empowered when i help myself. when i do, my sense of self becomes stronger, i like myself more, i have the confidence to take on more issues, it's like one big feedback loop of positive affirmation.

>Today is hopefully going to be my last day drinking for at least a week or 2
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm finally done going through withdrawals and gosh, I forgot how good it was to go to work and not be shaky and/or hungover the entire day. Feels good man

I admire and am jelly.

I've had to excuse myself from business lunches because i couldnt use a fork due to my shakes. Its pretty fuckin bad man.

The only thing I'd muss are the epic poops every morning which largely was liquid. Id still be a little buzzed from the night before but by the time I'd get to work I was a sweaty mess.

Ya I would always have an excuse that I get cold easy, or I'm shaky because I had too much coffee that day, but I feel like they all knew. Back in college when my alcoholism really started I came off about 3 weeks of drinking at least half a liter of vodka a day, and I was so shaky I literally couldn't even write my name on an in class quiz. I just took a zero and walked out of it, not good

usually kids
when they become of legal age they get overexcited about alcohol and cig they make a culture out of it

watch how uni freshmen drink

give it a few years and some wisen up

Some wisen up, but a lot end up like some of us here where the weekend binging lead to eventually having whiskey in our coffee during class every morning, drinking alone every night, etc. That's when it stops being fun and cool and starts becoming an addiction

A couple Guinness before dinner, the onto the double IPAs.

I'm currently brewing rhubarb wine.

I've honestly never had rhubarb wine before, so this is gonna be real exciting.

>Used to drink ~21 beers a week
>Now cut down to ~10
Getting fat sucks, Veeky Forums.

I need to lose 20 lbs by the end of summer.

>I need to lose 20 lbs by the end of summer.

Just download a calorie counter app and switch to clear liquor.

I've given up on calorie counting apps. It always turns into this weird irony where fastfood is easier to input so I keep finding excuses to eat it.

Plus, it's not the calories from beer I'm worried about. The real problem is that I lose my resolve when I drink. Avoiding fast food and being active is easier when I'm sober.

Sorry to hijack the thread but figured this was better than making a new one entirely, anyone on Veeky Forums smoke weed habitually? Swapped drink for smoke a few years back (because who wants to be sober) and find it a lot better overall.

Also, cooking with a joint is one of the best things.

Weed makes me stupid and lethargic.

I used to smoke nearly everyday until about 3 years ago.

Somewhere along the line though, I started becoming schizophrenic with frequent delusions of grandeur. It got to a point where I ended up taking in this weird pseudo-fruedian philosophy where I came up with separate names for my id and superego. Id was named Argon and superego was Aquarion.

Either way, it was dark times for me.

today I'm going to watch an episode or two of the sopranos while drinking malt liquor
i don't like to buy actual hard liquor, i do better with beer, if I buy a bottle of something like whiskey or rum, i'll drink too much too fast and feel like I wasted money.

Was drinking 2 pints of vodka a day. I went to detox and got out. Within a week I was up to a pint a day again. I just got my first DUI a few days ago. I never thought that'd happen to me. Fuck

Last night was my first sober night in two weeks and I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I've been drinking heavily almost every night for over a year and I always feel great when I take a little break. But inevitably I get right back to it within a few days despite all of those mornings when I wake up and think "Why am I doing this? This is so stupid."

Anyone watch Louie Therouxs new docu about alcoholism?

Kek! You you have truly drank heavily every single night for a year, you would be experiencing some pretty bad withdrawal. I cannot believe that you feel perfectly ok after completely stopping. Pretty much everyone would be sweaty, cold, anxious, dizzy, and very nearly delusional. That is if you truly drank heavily every night or day. I'm not trying to be mean. But it's true

Kek! You you have truly drank heavily every single night for a year, you would be experiencing some pretty bad withdrawal. I cannot believe that you feel perfectly ok after completely stopping. Pretty much everyone would be sweaty, cold, anxious, dizzy, and very nearly delusional. That is if you truly drank heavily every night or day. I'm not trying to be mean. But it's true,

some of it. its harsh, but to stop drinking i would really need a comfortable lifestyle. thats almost impossible, so until then ill sleep tight with a bottle of whiskey each night, convincing myself its not as bad as i think.

im disgusted before my first shot of the night, but after a good 5 i start to get into it

Just picked up one of these. Pretty good

I guess "drank heavily" is relative, but I put away 8-10 12 oz 7%+ beers a night. Maybe that's not enough to make me chemically dependent, but I definitely have strong desires to drink every night and I get anxiety whenever I take a night off.

I'm on a similar wagon. Been drinking 10-12 beers a night for past few years. On monday i drank half bottle of scotch and 12 beers and blacked out, woke up with a bunch of bruises on body and the feeling of shame that always accompanies a blackout as well as a debilitating hangover. Drank a single 24 oz on tuesday to even myself out. Drank 3 beers yesterday spaced out over 24 hours to help combat withdrawl symptoms. Today is thursday and i think im going to get two 24s and use them in a similar manner as i did yesterday. Basically trying to avoid being uncomfortable without drinking enough to send me back to the store. Also smoking a lot of weed which is normal for me but also takes the edge off

You are in a slippery slope man. You don't know what true alcohol withdrawal is until you feel it. And trust me. You will know and feel it. You will be compelled to get a bottle of hard liquor Upon waking up after 2 hours of falling asleep. Do not go there

And by compelled, I mean you will need one very very very badly. You will not be able to think of anything else. It will be nearly unbearable

That's why I'm not going cold turkey. I've tried many times to taper in the past by drinking 10 beers first two days, 8 beers next two days, and so on but that never worked for me. Im trying to avoid a bad withdrawl because you're right it will make me really crave and I'll end up drunk

You have to just stop. That what you have to do. The withdrawal will be mild based off if what you have said. The hardest part will be....

>you'll feel better
>drink again
>twice as hard
>dui, sorry faggit
U r fucked

Drank a six pack (tall boy) and two champagne bottles in an hour and a half a couple days ago. I've been completely out of commission since. Depersonalization and all.

>tfw finally free from using booze needles

Is there a list of what liquor/whatever goes best with what kind of dish? I've never had alcohol before but now that I've started cooking again I feel like I might as well try something different.

Just finished a bottle of Grant's scotch, last one the store had. It was dirt cheap and surprisingly fantastic.

Now I have this nonsense that I'm not even sure is real scotch or just a total fraudulent label. Anyone have a clue? Distributed by latin american spirits marketing company

latamerspirits.
wix.com/distillers

>going to pick up a bottle before work today
>always get the same bottle, 2-3 times a week, usually at the same store because it's on the way to work
>most of the people there know me and usually give me a slight discount
>one of the newer chicks there rings me up
>immediately tells me that she hasn't seen me in a while (been probably 4 days)
>rings up the bottle, asks if I'm paying cash or credit (always pay cash for 5% discount), as I've got cash already in hand
>she says "oh that's right, always cash"
>slightly miffed at this point
>gives me change and asks if I want a receipt, decline
>"oh of course," and hands me bagged bottle
>didn't even give me the discount

Slightly mad.

I make small talk with damn near everyone in the store and they're all cool. And yes, I know I'm a habitual drunk. But just felt like shit after that.

I don't give a fuck now because I'm drunk, but man if I wasn't irked when I left.

And the discount thing kinda bothered me. Even when I send someone from work to pick up a bottle for me, they'll give him the discount because not a lot of people buy my brand of whiskey and he's wearing a shirt for the logo of the company we work for. It's the difference of $2 and that shit adds up.

Are they injecting alcohol? That is a fucking huge syringe for any drug that is actually good.

I'll take a vodka old fashioned, hold the sugar and bitters, served neat in a plastic bottle

Confirmed, OP is a genuine fag.
>last day drinking for at least a week or 2

Haven't taken a week off in 6+ years, and that was just to do 'roids.

Quitter.

21 beers a week... 3 beers a day. 300-600 extra calories per day...

wat

Granted my drinking isn't good because it can turn into an addiction pretty quickly, but the caloric intake is what affects me most. Drink too much, eat like shit when I drink. Probably consume 4,000-6,000 more calories than I should when I drink. Also eat like shit with the hangover the next day. I've been drinking half a handle every other day lately, and the next day is always just a lazy hangover day. The amount of extra calories is abhorrent, especially with little to no physical activity. Starting to notice it as well. Clothes don't fit as well, don't want to go out because I feel like I look like a fat slob (probably do) and I certainly feel like one.

My body is not a fan of me right now, I haven't been treating it well. Today should be one of my drinking days, so I'm hoping I can abstain and kinda start a new schedule with less drinking. Feeling awfully close to an addiction, I think about booze and getting drunk way too much lately.

Fuck off

Teehee! Okay :)

>it can turn into an addiction

"Can"? You're regretting a compulsion that is customizing your life and lifestyle, the master plan being something you sleuth out when you realize you don't go out and you can't get your trousers buttoned. Sounds like you're already there.

yeah I watched it yesterday, good stuff. I was kind of hoping he'd follow drunks around during their day to day lives, as opposed to focusing on those in recovery and relapse, but I still liked it a lot, Theroux is based

that french woman's boyfriend was such a cunt

I'm close, but I haven't had any booze in 2 days, and no ill effects or anything. I just like to binge drink when I drink. If it was a daily thing and I woke up to a bottle and started drinkin, I might be worried a bit more. No drinkin today and hopefully not this weekend if I keep myself occupied. Boredom is what kills me. But yea, thanks for the opinion, I definitely think I'm on the precipice.

I resolved to drink only on friday or saturday. I havent had a drink in 8 days. About to pound a bottle of Evan Williams though.

>a blend
That means it's grain alcohol + bourbon, right? How rough is it?

It's not wrong to have like half a cup of scotch in the afternoon is it? I just have a general rule of only after 12pm. Today I made it to 12:54.

No. What do you drink with your breakfast, though? Your rule seems a bit restrictive.

Drinking everyday for the last 2 years and I use Coke to help me through the day. And not the liquid kind, now at the stage I do t think I can stop either, and don't know what to do. They both give me more self confidence and make me feel good about myself having lost damn near everything. Would rather give up booze than Coke though.. Also thank god the uk has a wonderful selection of ales, ciders, spirits and the like. Just finished a teenth and a 12 pack of Stella Artois. Wtf am I doing with my life.

Man you gotta stop. The only way this ends is death, friend. Give up the coke, cut the booze, save your life

Cheers bro, I want to I just don't know what where when or how to start stopping. My job and situation etc don't make it easy but i guess life isn't meant to be easy!

There's no special time or way to do it. You just do it. I know it's hard but that's life. You can do it. Good luck, mon amis

Anyone enjoy some Metaxa?

Being pleb and drinking it with seltzer water and some lemon.

Cheers bro. Time to get my shit together and kick my own ass.

Kinda just waiting for someone to say something about my drinking at this point, soft intervention style. It's been well over 10 years and it's no secret, but I don't care about myself enough to change for myself. I need to know other people care enough to want me to change, but everyone likes to hang out and drink. Some shitty childish game of crying for help.

I don't want to seem mean by saying this but it's entirely possible that you're a completely likable person when you drink. I'm an alcohol myself and pretty much all of my social experiences have resulted from me being drunk or on drugs.

I have recently began recovery after drinking a fifth a day for the past 3 years and years of heavy social drinking before then.

This winter I was arrested for DUI one Sunday evening. It came to a point where I chose to be honest with my family and friends who hadn't known how bad I was hurting.

The court sentenced me to probation which includes drug and alcohol treatment. I told the evaluator exactly how much drinking I do and they threw me in intensive outpatient treatment. I sat in a room full of people twice my age who were in really rough shape and couldn't stay out of jail. I saw myself in their excuses and complaining, then right then and there decided I want to give up the bottle. I have been staying clean and graduated the treatment program today.

Every day feels better. I am losing weight and I feel my depression going away. Not having to hide my drinking and live with the guilt makes being sober worth it.

Sobriety is a decision I had to chose and want to make. There is a lot more to it than just not drinking. It took a while for me to come to terms with it but hopefully I can stay on track and leave the last 7 years of my life in the past.

Then that will be my downfall. I'll pay my debt of being entertaining with alcohol and eventual liver failure. Totally worth it. We should hang out.

How long until the boredom of sobriety goes away? Also congrats breh.

>mixto

not even once friend

Black coffee until after 3pm as far as non alcoholic beverages.

Alcohol isn't good for me. When I drink I often get a sense of loneliness I don't want and it doesn't make me feel good about myself. I

Can any experienced drinkers tell me how likely it is that I'll go through a withdrawal? I've gone through two this year so far. (Been drinking less than a year my entire life) first withdrawal was mild and I just endured it without meds, second one required hospitalization because I was slamming back a steel reserve every 4 hours not to feel like shit, which combined with malnutrition and a complete lack of sleep made me start hallucinating and getting extremely paranoid. After a short period of sobriety I've started drinking again. (Six days so far) but have spaced my sessions 24 hours apart and have never exceeded 7 drinks at a time. Now I'm on 2-3 a day but im worried about kindling but im also a very naturally nervous individual whose mind likes to make him imagine ailments that don't exist. At the 24 hour mark I feel no symptoms other than anxiety and a possible tremor but I'm scared because of my prior withdrawals and because seizures hit without warning. I know I'm being a huge faggot but my last withdrawal was fucking terrible and I just need some reassurance or advice? Today will be the first day I try to have only one beer, but I plan on keeping a tall boy on standby just in case.

go to inpatient rehab

Your fear of withdrawl is an excuse you've created to keep drinking

every other day? are you serious OP
Alcoholics drink everyday all day

Never said I was a full-blown alcoholic. I've posted a few other times in this thread.

See and Just wanted to start another general alcohol thread/alcoholilc thread since obviously a buncha people are struggling. Helps me to read the horror stories and how much trouble people are having. Kinda scares me straight a bit. Probably will drink today though since next week I have to be super productive.

Link? Not at home and can't work on my family's iPad/Mac-ridden house

>not just smoking weed

>not smoking weed and drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes

You are a fucking pleb, and probably a teenager.

I'm 15 I'm mature for my age what about it? Fucking plab.

>not downing fistfuls of prescription drugs washed down with pure methanol while injecting heroin, sniffing glue, and smoking crack before blowing your brains out with a 44 magnum moments after leaping off a tall building

You prudish healthists and your inability to destroy yourselves efficiently, just thinking about what goes on in your mind makes me sick.

wow good point... am cruz-missile now

>smoking
>not even vaporizing
edibles and tinctures are where it's at my man

I always ignore these threads thinking a lot of you don't know or feel what alcoholism is. I was wrong, I really hope you guys who want to quit and are trying hard, get out of the addiction of this poison. For what it is worth, this old mans heart goes out to all of you battling this every day.

Cheers man, thanks. Goin out with some friends today and going to drink, but gonna try and go full sober from tomorrow until next tuesday. We'll see how that goes. Glad you could beat it, I'm going to, I just need to make sure I don't fly too close to the sun.