So why is our field make us all so suicidal and alcoholics, drug users. It seems everyone smokes...

So why is our field make us all so suicidal and alcoholics, drug users. It seems everyone smokes. And it seems like none of us can sleep at night good no matter how tired we are, we all live these lives of waking up alone in our heads, and going to work. focus on our jobs and go drink smoke inject ( what ever we all do) and then do the samething. We all fight depression in our thoughts on a day to day. We all have this field we are passionate about, but it feels as if it tears every shred of us apart and leaves an empty shell at the end. Am i the only one with this issue in our field because it seems like everyone is off this way...

Other urls found in this thread:

telusplanet.net/public/prescotj/data/viandier/viandier1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5fbvquHSPJU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Agree 100%. Such a shit industry to be in and that's why I'm trying to get out.

love the field but it does suck because i enjoy cooking

There's a documentary on YouTube about the lifespan of civilizations in which the final stages of decadence and decline are described and analyzed quite nicely and in detail.
In it, a comparison is made to the age of decadence in Rome, and, more specifically, the glorification of gladiators and chefs.
That's right, chefs were held in the highest regard, especially those who could create novel or exotic dishes.
It makes a lot of sense that those associated with visceral pleasure would be heroes in a dying empire, and I suspect that there is a subconscious aversion on their part for their hand in matters, or, at least, a kind of cognitive dissonance: Rome is burning and we're using the flames to cook instead of dousing them.
Considering that our own civilization has likely entered the age of decadence, I imagine chefs today are experiencing this same phenomenon.

Drunkanon are you going to be okay?

This is why I like being a history teacher.

I used to tutor, but I stuck to mathematics and science, although history is a favorite subject of mine.
And cooking.

Here, have a mix of both: telusplanet.net/public/prescotj/data/viandier/viandier1.html

you're wrong. it's not everyone. and thinking that everyone is doing is just making you think it's ok. it's not. we're not all addicts.

link to docu?

honestly user, that should be fucking clear as crystal. it's the same reason niggers are nearly all violent shit heads and yet race is a social construct; Social pressure to conform. you socialize with your workers, they get chummy, you go out to have fun with them, they introduce you to their drugs, who were in turn introduce to drugs from their old buds and so on and so on. It doesn't hurt that restaurants are full of latinos, many who don't even know english. Mexico and other south and central american countries have far laxer enforcement on drug control, so you have people exposed to drugs get jobs at restuarnts and in turn becoming friends with and exposing others to drugs.

I'll check my browsing history.
It might actually have been linked in the comments of the 4Hoursemen video, IIRC.
youtube.com/watch?v=5fbvquHSPJU

Because it's a passion that literally will suck your soul out through blood, sweat, tears, aches, pains, loudness, horrible people, and that's not even counting the public. Being a chef/procook is a noble and underestimated profession, which is one reason why they are the underbelly of the service industry. You MUST be mad to be a professional cook, and therefore you repel people who don't understand.
I was pro for most of my twenties and early thirties, and I had to leave for my family's sake. Now, I'm an asshole writer of food, and other things, and even now, in my personal life, I run my kitchen like a pro, and no one is allowed to fuck it up. You'll never shake it.

wait, is this the docu? or were you talking about something else?

you think the truly successful people lead the unhealthy, unhappy lifestyle you describe? improve yourself and everything else will follow

Buck the fuck up or get the fuck out of the way, you fucking baby.

Other industries are the same, those bankers that work 60-80 hours a week all do coke. The lawyers who work 300 hours a month all drink and pop happy pills.

The issue isn't necessarily this particular industry, it's that it's culturally acceptable to have people working ungodly hours which have an impact on their health. The only way this will change in America is if there's universal healthcare and as a whole society people agree that change is needed. There also needs to be more acceptability of alternative lifestyles, people are so into the rat race that they very negatively view folks who managed to get out and do something else in life. Giving your life away to a corporation isn't supposed to be what life is all about, there should be more to it than a lifetime filled with just work and no enjoyment.

This, pretty much. Same reason you see Japanese businessmen passed out drunk on subways.

They also have very high suicide rates in Japan.

Oh woe is me you fags are fucking drama queens

This. The only major difference is that chefs also get paid jack shit, while at least lawyers and investment bankers working 80hr/WK get good pay.

Says the person who's never been a professional cook.

Pretty much the entire reason I skipped culinary school or continuing to work with a chef in lieu of going back to college. I really enjoyed the work and the high stress part of it was not the worst; I was actually pretty good at it. I saw the toll it had taken on the head chef and how miserable he seemed all the time. I was 20 having only done it for a year but I realised that it's only a matter of time before I'm ground down by it as well.

Massive respect for the restaurant industry, I couldn't do that as a career

Perhaps it was something else, now that I think on it, and I'm not about to watch that whole video again just to confirm.
I'm sure the right context will come up again in which to discuss it.
Sorry to flake out on ya.

Yeah, my last gig was pretty much 2 days off a month, followed by 12-by-7s.
Whatever designed humans certainly didn't have these operating conditions in mind, at least not for the long-term.
I've heard it said that humanity's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness: Our ability to persist even under the most insufferable of conditions.
We manage to adapt just enough to continue enduring conditions of life that would have seen any other species dead or long -since moved along to greener pastures, but not enough to eliminate those conditions outright.
Whatever God is up there must have one Hell of a strange, twisted sense of humor.

It's not the industry making you all alkies and druggos.
It's that only alkies and druggos find themselves in your industry for the most part.
Think of it this way, why would anyone with better options do what amounts to a barely above minimum wage jiob that requires you to be on your feet for 12 hours a day over hot fire? You realize that you could just be a temp office worker, make better money, in less time, and not be totally exhausted every day after work?
If you werent an ugly mong, you could work front of house and at least make a decent wage counting the tips. But you're a cook so chances are you are hideous.
Cooking for a living is a shitty job and it's basically only done by those who don't have other options.

This exactly. Cooking is for people too dumb/unambitious for a better job and too ugly/autistic to work front of house

You sound fucking chill. I like you. Cooking and history are both of my favorito hobbies, I do not want to end homeless nor a drugaddict, so I became a sysadmin.