Veeky Forums challenge - Round 8 (April 27th - May 3rd)

8th round of the 5th Annual Veeky Forums Top Master Iron Chef Ultimate Nightmare Kitchen Survivor Challenge!

This is the first of the elimation rounds! If you are not part of the contestants still in the running, feel free to post along, however I will not be tallying the scores. But the more entries the better!
Here's the list of those who made the top 8!
Nack
Fantastic
dice
CookingRei
Yellowmug
Studentfag
asdf
Eyepatch

Reminder :
-Please timestamp your submission! Detailing the cooking process/posting a vertical is encouraged but not required. If posting multiple photos, you don't need to timestamp each one, as long as the final submission photo is timestamped.
-You MUST use a unique identifier; if you don't want to use a tripcode, you must have some other way to distinguish yourself from the other contestants, such as a cute bird or scary statue in your timestamped entry, as long as it's clearly visible and you use it consistently.

**Also, please be nice to each other. I'm growing incredibly tired of the toddle's tantrums being thrown around this year.***

Voting will be carried out in this thread. Please read the voting guidelines below.

Other urls found in this thread:

ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting follows an 'Iron Chef' style scoring system. This means you, the people of Veeky Forums, will judge each entry individually instead of deciding on what you feel is the "best" dish.

Dishes are scored out of a total 20 points, based on 4 categories (worth a maximum of 5 points each); Presentation, Originality, Appeal and Challenge Goals. You may award 0's if you feel the contestant did not meet your expectations for a category.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in Appeal.

For additional info and to see submissions from Previous years, check out the Challenge blog. (ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)

Copypasta Scoring Format for Lazymodo

Presentation: /5
Originality: /5
Appeal: /5
Challenge Goals: /5
Total: /20

The theme of Round Eight is...

Colors

No a roll round this year since that got me a ban warning... Still, pick a color and make that color the absolute essence of your dish. While you're perfectly welcome to make a large spread of food, please make sure there is clearly a "main dish" because that is what people will be voting on.

Two contestants will not be moving on to the next round.

Scorecard.

Yellowmug, as the winner of the round, please get in touch with me for your prize.

>Yellowmug, as the winner of the round
>inb4 shitstorm

Will we be marked down for using black or white since they are technically shades and not colors?

Nah, go ahead. As far as I'm concerned if you get a mostly/all white dish to photograph properly you get thumbs up.

>yellowmug winning round
>in before everyone inversely votes against these high score troll votes for the remainder of this contest

Stupid theme

Let me guess, you discarded any of his votes under 10, but counted the blatantly high ones?

I'm invoking Article 32 of the "Veeky Forums Bullshit" convention.
An official investigation into the bullshit that happened last around is now open.

I skipped the obvious trolls, included all the other, because the trolls stopped being funny or clever at least a month ago.

I wasn't trolling. I genuinely thought his dish was very weak. But whatever

It was one of the most requested in the theme suggestions thread.

I would prefer if you just assigned everyone a color, but I could also see how that could cause a shitstorm. Fuck that hot pocket eating, fun ruining faggot that gave you a warning for the rolling thing.

No way, no way. Tried it once, doesn't work. You got four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.

My colour is going to be beige

Bubble, you should have assigned colors, I see a shitstorm a brewin'.....

Wait, so are we supposed to all claim a color before other people do? Or are we just supposed to pick any color we want and have the entire dish be that color?

I'll assign the colours:

Nack - Red
Fantastic - Yellow
dice - Green
CookingRei - Orange
Yellowmug - Teal
Studentfag - White
asdf - Black
Eyepatch - Purple

>Yellowmug not yellow

Doesn't matter what color yellowmug is when he'll just flood the round with high scores again with Bubble deleting all the counter troll scores

Yeah i agree, i think we should bring back lyin thomas

Just pick one for your own dish. You can announce it or not, your choice.

Last year we made people roll. I think a good half rolled "brown/earth tones" . It's was kinda hilarious.

So you're saying there was cheating last year too

I'll bite. Red it is.

You must be very, very stupid.

what foods are teal?

Pineapples taste teal.

I don't think it counts if you have to take horse tranquilizers to get the desired effect.

lightly browned bacon fat

nevermind i thought teal was a light shade of brown (i don't art) bacon fat that is teal probably should not be eaten.

Teal gets its name from the colored area around the eyes of the common teal, a member of the duck family.

someone should make a roasted duck that looks alive.

bump

I've been circling the drain for a while now, I thought I'd be out a round or two earlier were it not for better competitors dropping out!

I'd just like to say thanks everyone for your votes, your critiques and thanks BubbleBurst for organising the competition. I'm definitely a casual cook and entered my first chicken wing dish on a whim (tragically my highest scored dish...!) but this competition has given me the inspiration to keep trying new ingredients, new cooking methods, and most of all, work on my plating skills!

Here are a few things I've learned in these past weeks:
- Presentation is definitely my biggest flaw. Any advice on this greatly appreciated.
- When trying a recipe for something you've never attempted before, never cut corners and follow it to the letter. You probably don't know better and it won't taste or look as good as it should.
- Picture quality makes all the difference to how your food is perceived. A shitty point and click, weird angles and zooms, shit lighting, etc, just won't cut it.
- Challenges with the most flexible interpretations (such as Fire and Childhood) were more fun to work with, and also for seeing how others interpreted them, in my opinion.
- Flambeing isn't as terrifying as you'd expect
- White truffle oil is still a meme
- There will always be trolls, and there's nothing you can do. I think a few posters replying and getting upset just fanned the flames and brought down the enthusiasm and camaraderie in the competition.
- That being said, never enter a dish that your grandma used to make and tell Veeky Forums about it. I'm kidding!

Good luck to the rest of the contestants, I'll be watching (and from now, voting)!

Sad to see you go, really... Good luck in your future endeavours!

For presentation, check out ChefSteps, they have a few videos on that

Can someone explain the "Cumulative - eliminations" column?

Eyepatch here. I made Green Grindage. It's kale pasta with basil spinach pesto and sausage rolled in sauteed spinach leaves. There's a basil garnish in the middle, but it's hard to see. Everything was homemade except for the sausage. Timestamp and identifier incoming.

Here's another picture. I couldn't decide which one to use first.

Usually the timestamp is supposed to be in a picture with the food.

yeah, I didn't realize how crappy that shot was until it was too late. I can retake it with the leftovers if people want me too.

>sausage rolled in spinach leaves

it looks like you just covered up the sausage with some leftover spinach leaves for the colour

the dish looks appetising otherwise

>you just covered up the sausage with some leftover spinach leaves for the colour

Kind of this.

Also, if you're going to claim you made everything from scratch why not share some of the pictures of the pasta and sauce being made, instead of posting multiple pictures of the final dish?

Total score of the elimination rounds (so excluding the open rounds)

On the last round the contestants get a choice.. winner will either have the highest score in that column or we'll do it "Sudden death" style and the winner of the round wins it all.

What kind of sausage did you use?

Should have stuck around just for this round. Oh well.
I would have chosen black.
Fried chicken with some dank collard greens.
Wonder how that would have done.

_Racer X

Why don't you contribute anyway?

Well, the leaves wouldn't roll right, so I did do a few patch/ cover jobs.
I didn't take pictures while I was cooking, but multiple shots were taken of the final product. I don't care if anyone believes me or not this late into the game. I really don't give a shit whether I make it into the next rounds or not either. I'm honestly surprised I've made it this far. Those are all valid criticisms though.

You can participate to this round, even continue to the end.
You just won't get the final price (an apron or something).

Neither of those are black.

bump

they black like watermelon and violent crime are black

Presentation: 2/5
Originality: 3/5
Appeal: 2/5
Challenge Goals: 5/5
Total: 12/20
It sounds quite nice but it doesn't look very appealing. The pasta looks mushy and overcooked, as does the spinach. It also looks somewhat insubstantial.

Bump.

I actually googled "grindage" thinking it might be some Italian dish I'd never heard of.

Looks like it's just a Pauly Shore term for food not homemade, nor including spinach or kale.

lel

I'll be honest, the pasta was super soft because I had never made pasta dough with water before. I only cooked it for about a minute, and it was still super mushy. The spinach looks overcooked because I cooked it in the dirty pan I used to cook the sausage in, and the spinach got brown because of it. I almost was going to 86 what I made and try again later because so many things turned out shitty, but I just said fuck it and went with it. My work schedule has changed recently, so I couldn't cook on my days off anymore (tuesday and wednesday) because they are terrible days for this competition. The change in my work schedule gives me a lot less time to cook. I had to rush my cooking before work, and I just didn't feel like redoing what I made because cooking before work kind of drains me. I work in a kitchen btw.

Black

A few things annoyed me with this vertical so I amended it.

Thank you for getting the joke.
Veeky Forums is the most ... airhead? It is the place where any joke made will just soar over the heads of posters.
Sarcasm and wit is lost here.
There's no humor, just idiocy. It sucks.

>any joke made will just soar over the heads of posters

No. It's just most people here are older and don't find /b/ tier jokes funny.

dude...
If you're too mature (pronounced muh-toor) for Veeky Forums, then GTFO. You are a faggot.

>black
>half of it is white

user pls

>Veeky Forums = 2007-era /b/
kill yourself

Kudos for the chromatically appropriate vertical and presentation for the dish :)

Hehe, thanks! I hadn't noticed. Actually, I was even more chromatically appropriate when I opened the bag of flour and spilled it all over my black shirt.

Bump.

Turmeric Fried Chicken and Coconut Ginger waffles, with maple ginger compound butter and hot honey mustard. Sweet and spicy yellow Kool Aid pickles. Mustard and horseradish mac and cheese. Banana pepper corn bread, and fried yellow tomatoes.

There was no natural light, so unfortunately the only picture options were between one using a flash and one using indoor lighting, that turned everything yellow regardless of how it originally looked.

Vertical.

I'm sorry Yellowmug, every individual item looks tasty enough on its own, but I can't help but feel like you just went into your pantry and dumped out everything vaguely yellow on your plate.

I would still eat it, but these is no correlation between the items whatsoever

I get the feeling the theme is 'The South'.

Mug is empty sir....of chocolate milk.

youre seriously trying too hard its obviously a take on southern/soul food/comfort type food

Fried chicken and waffles is a dish in the US South, sometimes served with a variety of sides.

Pic related.

Damn, that's a pretty good example. Kool-Aid pickled collard greens would have been pretty cool to see, actually.

Bump

How is this not cheating? Your second paragraph basically describes how you manipulated the picture

No.

I'm sure you have a pretty clear idea of the colours in that photo. The image is hardly misleading.

The image is definitely misleading if I have to imagine the colors of the different items that have all been turned yellow

That's obviously the picture using the flash, not the one he said made everything yellow. Look at the vertical.

The last picture in the vertical is the same as the doctored pic. People are going to judge based on that pic anyway

It's flat out cheating. Color manipulation through different lighting is just as bad as photoshopping your entry.

>color manipulation through different lighting

I guess everyone should be disqualified then, because that's how photography works.

You're just being pedantic and it's not out of the realm of possibility that the picture was manipulated on purpose

Per this gentleman , I went with red.

Nashville chicken and sweet potato fries.

Vertical after I give the kitchen a good cleaning.

>oven fries

Also you left out the part about the sauce/glaze on the chicken, which seemed like the most important part.

Thought it would be fairly self-explanatory. Once the chicken is fried up, let it rest then baste with the hot sauce of your preference. Today I went with a Red Rooster Louisiana Hot Sauce. Considered a Franks Red, but Red Rooster is more authentic for this dish.

Do you have specific quantities for the spices on the fries or do you just throw some in? That recipe legit looks delicious.

>thought it would be fairly self-explanatory

Never had Nashville Chicken before, and Wikipedia just says, "sauced using a paste that has been spiced with cayenne pepper".

looks good senpai

2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper

You don't want to salt at this stage because sweet potatoes are a very moist vegetable. The cornstarch aids in helping them crisp up. You run the risk of them getting soggy with oil frying them up so oven baking is a preferred method. After the get out of the oven, salt to taste.

>red
>only colors I see are orange and brown

I could write off both of those as shades of red. It's the pickles that seem out of place in the challenge.

Sweet thank you user.

At least he didn't cheat

I played along with orange, it was great because I could fry everything!

My entry: Wings 2 ways: Mango Chutney-Curry and Cajun Buffalo with onion rings and a dip. I really don't know what to call the dip, we use for crawfish, fries, onion rings, or pretty much anything really.

I'll post my vertical later.