Crock-Pot Chicken Cacciatore/other recipes

Hey Veeky Forums

I made the last crock-pot thread but am now actually using it for the first time and I have some questions about the recipe. I'm hoping you can help me, recipe below.

>2-3 onions, thinly sliced
>2-4 pounds chicken ( breasts or thighs ) skinned
>28 oz canned plum tomatoes, chopped
>5 cloves garlic, minced
>1/2 cup dry white wine or broth
>2 tablespoons capers
>20 pitted kalamata olives, chopped coarsely
>1 bunch fresh parsley or basil, stemmed and coarsely chopped
>kosher salt and pepper
>cooked pasta

1. Place sliced onion in crock-pot and cover with chicken.
2. in a bowl, stir tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, and white wine or broth. pour over chicken
3. cover, cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
stir in capers, olives and herbs before serving
5. serve over cooked pasta.

Questions in pt. 2

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc
youtube.com/watch?v=TllPrdbZ-VI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My goal is for it to look something like pic related when finished. But first I have some questions...

I couldn't find the garlic or basil pre-cut. I also don't think I have a proper kitchen knife but do have my multi-tool and some dinner knives; am I able to do the job with these? If I find a knife that might be better I'll refference this post and ask about it with pic.

Do I need to wash the onions, garlic and basil before cutting them and how do I do that if so?

Can I use regular pepper? I couldn't find Kosher pepper in any stores in my area.

I couldn't find "plum tomatoes" but found diced tomatoes; how will that impact my dish?

Found this knife; will this work for cooking?

I think I kinda cut them into chunks instead of slicing them. Will this hurt my dish? Pic related; would love for your advice Veeky Forums

you don't need to wash onions or garlic because you will be discarding the outer layer / skin of them anyway. but you should wash the basil.

your canned diced tomatoes are probably canned diced plum tomatoes. anyway, tomatoes aren't really the main flavor in chicken cacciatore, so it doesn't matter a lot.

yes it's fine that your onions aren't cut very well they're going to more or less disintegrate while cooking anyway

Awesome; glad to know! I'll go wash my hands and then get back into the kitchen; thank you user!

By the way, when I was cutting the onion my eyes began to sting and they still do. Is that normal or am I having a reaction of some sort? I'm a newbie in terms of kitchen tasks.

do you not know how to cut an onion?
youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc

jamie oliveoil does it well too
youtube.com/watch?v=TllPrdbZ-VI

Yeah, I'm as new to cooking as a two year old is to walking. Just finished with the onion ( didn't see your videos before I finished cutting ) and prepping the chicken/mixed in bowl stuff. Still have to add the garlic into the mixed in bowl stuff tho.

How is this? Also, a clove is a little thing inside the big thing right?

>mince
nigger that's what your onions should have looked like
you want that garlic so fine it turns into mush

Good to know for next time. Here is how it looks just b4 going into the crock-pot.

forgot pic; plz ignore the mess- it all stems from Amazon packages I recently got; the red stock pot from earlier included.

And here we go; six hours till it finishes. This is my first-time having done actual cooking ( food prep, handling fresh ingredients, etc. ) and I have to say it wasn't a bad experience. I should have done this back when I was 21.

So what recipes do you guys like to use in your crock-pots?

salsa chicken

post the recipe like pic related or as text like OP did?

Great job user, thats how i got started cooking too.

My favorite crockpot meal to make is:
(i never measure anything so these are my guesses)

Beef Stew:
3-4 lbs Chuck roast cubed
4-5 Cloves of garlic pressed/minced
3-4 medium potatoes cubed
3 cups mushrooms
2 cups carrots
2 cups celery
4 cups carrots
Enough chicken/beef broth to cover the top of everything.
Season/Salt in half teaspoon batches until it tastes right
Pepper, equal to salt added
Cumin, half of pepper/salt added
add flour to adjust thickness of liquid

4-5 hours on high should do it, serve with french loaf bread and butter.

Awe, thanks.

Oh, and about the recipe, thanks!

a-are you really asking for the recipe? for salsa chicken?

YES; OP IS ASKING FOR IT AND NOW SO AM I!

He's a new cook and I don't know much about hispanic foods so you'll be educating the masses.

SHARE WITH US SENPAI!

Half-way; another 3 hours to go!

Yes; I was asking. :) Care to share?

oh-okay then...here goes...don't get turned off by the complexity, its a learning process...

Crockpot Salsa Chicken ingredients:

>salsa
>chicken

wa la!

Next time season and sear the chicken before putting it in the pot for better flavor. Another thing is it looks watery, u can either leave it uncovered for the last 20 min or take out the chicken and transfer the sauce and veggies into a pot and cook until it thickens up (reduce). This will concentrate flavors and make it look better.

I'm interested in seeing the finished product. Doesn't look very appetizing here. Hope it turns out good.

I'm thinking about making oxtail stew in my crock pot tomorrow. Never done it before. I'll probably make a thread

Will do, thanks.

How do you make your salsa?

Your wish is granted, kinda, pic related! I sadly had a guest ( a neat-freak ) visit and ( I believe ) they seem to have thrown out my pasta while cleaning! vthis pic is before stirring

this pic is after stirring ( because I was curious as to how the chicken looked ). I'm going to try to run across the street to Walgreens before they close and grab some pasta so I can finsh the dish!

Hey Veeky Forums I got it in time. Just put pasta in water; preparing what little is left!

Almost done!

Pasta is done too, all that is left is to stir and plate!

And my experiment is at last complete. My first time cooking something completely from scratch ( if you exclude grilling steak ) and I'm excited to see how it is. Going to eat now and then possibly go to bed; I'll tell you about it in the morning Veeky Forums!

good job you. how did it taste?

Tastes good but all the tomato really jump-starts my reflux. The chicken was surprisingly savory and, in spite of having used white whine instead of a meatier broth, tasted beefy while being so tender it would fall apart at the touch of my fork.

I can't say I'd give it a high rating because I used a lot of budget ingredients and their tastes came through but I would certainly make this again.

I was funnin' you but since you seem nice, I'll give you the actual recipe. Salsa chicken is incredibly delicious(if you ike texmex stuff) and dead easy to make. It's PB and J levels of satisfaction.

>1 16oz jar of favorite brand salsa
>3-4lb cut up chicken
the chicken can be any parts you like, I personally think boneless skinless thighs are the beast and easiest; bone in chicken gives better flavor but is much messier to eat.
>chicken in crockpot
>cover with salsa
>cook on high 6 hr or 8+low

test it with a fork when it's close to time. it is ready when it shreds easily at the touch.

carefully skim or pour off the fat and shred the chicken in the pot. if too juicy, pour a little liquid off but not to much.

enjoy on toast, rice, in tortillas, on a salad, basically any which way you like.

shit is delicious, healthy and cheap as hell.

Nice work. now you know why people like to cook as a hobby as well as for food. it's very rewarding.