Continuation of the archived thread, Britfag visiting NY

Continuation of the archived thread, Britfag visiting NY.

I ended up going to Bella Vitas restaurant on times Square on had one of their XL pizzas. Nice crispy crust and the San Marzano tomato sauce was pretty special. Pics to follow in a few mins, on my was back to the hotel

Post archive?

Also, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and will wait around for pics.

Fuck thin crust cracker pizza

Thanks, having a blast!

Archive is here
Think we went a bit heavy on toppings but it was still good. Very good.

Chinatown tonight probably for Joe's shanghai soup dumplings or maybe something else in that area.

Tomorrow brunch at Russ and Daughters cafe. Love that lox and herring.

Looks like you're making good choices all around. Enjoy, and keep us in the loop.

Thats a bullshit place to get pizza Nigel

There was better nearby? Let me know, had all sorts of mixed reviews on the last thread so I just went with my gut

I thought you were gonna go to johns? Even pizza suprema would have been better

To be fair Britanon really is unlikely to be attuned to the nuances of what people argue about when it comes to pizza in NYC. And what he ended up with was a few notches better than a typical neighborhood slice joint, so he did OK. The area around MSG is not exactly culinary Mecca.

His Chinatown and LES plans will more than make up for it.

I'm going to pizza suprema tomorrow before Pearl Jam at Msg so I didn't go today, probably should have mentioned that before

Get a sausage slice at suprema

Plus people were saying John's was amazing, John's was crap and John's was alright, same goes for suprema which I'm going to tomorrow anyways. I'll probably be back next year to go for more places any who, assuming the borders don't permanently close by then

>voluntarily going to NY

John's is better than Suprema

Suprema is better than a randomly chosen spot

The best slices at suprema are the plain ones. Get at least one plain slice.

Supremas auce is too sweet. Sausage slice offsets the sweetness and is their best slice imo. But a regular slice is always the first thing you gotta try at a new pizza spot

>he went to one of the time square tourist traps

pls

what's ny like? i live in burgerland but i've never been, supposedly the city is just incredibly huge.

It is huge. And busy as fuck.

OP Here, pretty much this. Just move fast and don't stand in people's way or gawk around at the buildings in busy areas. Pic related from my times Square visit earlier today

Getting skeptical about Joe's shanghai after reading some reviews about dogshit service and saying Shanghai Asian Manor is a more pleasant experience. Thoughts? Tempted to go there instead

I've mostly been treated quite well at Joe's Shanghai but I usually go with a big group, we run up a decent tab, and they know us. It's very crowded and hectic and I can imagine how some might feel the service is brusque if the staff is giving attention to big groups.

Been there once or twice with just one other person and you get seated at a random large table with other random people. Some people find that really offensive since it's not common in the US. Like, they expect two people to be given an entire large table that could seat ten, and the rest of the seats are reserved so as not to hurt their delicate feewings? I dunno.

If you're just one or two people, you could consider Joe's Ginger next door. Shorter line, smaller tables, and same dumplings.

Ah thanks, will consider it, I can imagine on a Saturday night it's gonna be jam packed. If there's a huge wait I'll go to the other place.

Also there's 5 of us this time tonight but for the other places I went to it was only 2

It's so so. I've had real Shanghai soup dumplings before and their's aren't anything special. You're better off finding a Shanaghai place in Chinatown. Order tangchu pai gu. You'll thank me later.

Also if you're still in that area Hidechan is good for ramen though almost any decent restuarant is gonna be packed considering it's a Saturday evening.

Thanks anons, will consider both options. I'll throw all these places on the table with the others I'm with tonight and just go by majority vote. Normally if it were just me alone I wouldn't care about bad service but I'm with a party tonight... I'm off out now so I'll probably update in a few hours of where I ended up be it Joe's or wherever. BRB

Go to momofuku ssam bar

Go find the dirtiest part of wherever you live, I suggest underneath a bridge, now just imagine that but with lots of buildings and skyscrapers and everyone is an asshole. Jew York.

Where are you from?

The real america, where everyone is addicted to either oxycontin or meth, and we get angry at the sight of a vegetable

Georgia or West Virginia?

Hey OP did you end up going to any delis at all?

Brooklynfag born and raised reporting in

don't listen to these idiots

you want the realest square slice in town, go to L&B Spumoni Gardens in BK

Op isn't leaving manhattan

OP here

Katz tomorrow mate

Waiting for Joe's now, 45 min wait, we're alright with that. Smells amazing around here.

Any anons about?

I like these threads, OP.

Monitoring

whats the deal with that ticket stub ordering system at Katz's?

We're number 89, they just called out 81. People having a good laugh about and cheering and applause from everyone when their number gets called. This is great

NewYorkFuckingCity, man. Gotta love it! Pork and crab is the way to go, btw. Scallion pancakes, too.

Haha, for real I like it.

Im gonna get a mix of pork and crab/pork for the 5 of us.

Scallion pancakes sounds good.

They called 88 just now. I'll take pics and post when I get back to the hotel so, bye for now folks.

Are you comfortable going into Chinatown OP? I know some great local places that are cheap as fuck and won't get you sick.

you see this shit? Yeah, I live here. I would never wait for a trendy place. I'd go on the off hours. But there is this "we're all in this together" spirit in NYC that is sometimes overriding. Pretty much the opposite of people being assholes.

This. Only flyovers and people who have never been to NYC think we're assholes. I just like how no one gives a shit here while you get judged and stared at for wearing or doing anything out of the norm elsewhere.

OP Here

Wow. That was an experience. Service wasn't bad at all, just straight to the point and they don't fuck about.

Dumplings were delicious ad expected, I found the crab and pork ones were a lot better than the plain pork as the soup was richer. Wasn't too doughy either.

We had some extras...

Scallion pancakes were a good recommend, crispy and soft on the inside, needed some Chilli oil which was on the table. Thanks user

Messed up my first dumpling and it went all over the plate. Got the hang of it after that though, ha

We also had a braised pork shoulder which was really tender but a tad dry on the leaner bits in the Centre but plenty of sauce to make up for it.

It tasted like a classic Chinese sweet sticky hoisin but with some extra flavours I couldn't quite identify, tasty nonetheless.

Shrimp noodles too, which came out puffed and deep fried which was unexpected but worked well.

Lastly a crispy whole fish (and the skin was very crispy) in another sweet sauce which was closer to a sweet and sour sauce but with a hit of chopped red chillies, lime and some other spices.

It was fucking amazing and one of the best fishes I've eaten, just a shame there wasn't much flesh.

They sat us with some randoms who were nice enough. Free Chinese tea too so no complaints.

Dinner ended with some complementary orange segments. All in all, 100% worth the hour and ten minute wait. Not an issue with good company. Thanks for the recommendation anons.

Scallion pancakes are one of those things where it fairly ubiquitous in Asia and very rarely does a single area does it the same as someone else.

Did you scald your tongue, user?

Forgot to mention. It was 100 dollars all in, Inc service charge. To feed 5. Fucking. People. Great value.

A little, won't lie. But we watched a couple of people empty the soup onto a spoon and eat the dumpling separately so I did that for the rest.

I've never had those kind of dumplings before. How are you suppose to eat them?

Ah I see. I honestly expected them to be like a soft wrap or something

I believe it's the way I mentioned in the post above yours, seems to be how everyone else was doing it, just poke a hole, empty the soup onto the spoon, eat dumpling, drink soup, repeat

I've seen them done very thin in other countries but in the US I see them more often than not puffed up. I like the Korean version though, they put in peppers and sometimes squid.

>eating Chinese food outside of Chinatown
>eating Xiao Long Bao at a place that provides you with tongs

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself OP but you've done some pleb-tier stuff right there.

How is Joe's shanghai outside chinatown?

Ideally you pop the entire thing into your mouth, but if it's hot then releasing the soup into the spoon is fine.

Even Flushing places provide tongs. Sometimes there's no vegetable liner though.

It isn't outside chinatown. It's right in the middle of fucking chinatown. They probably gave us tongs because they could see I wasn't local or Chinese and assumed we were unable to use chopsticks, or they just provided them because they served those dumplings like that to every other table.

Ah fair, this soup was scalding hot though

I live in Chinatown and yet been there. There's a place on East Broadway where I get breakfast, usually duck wonton noodle soup and a bowl of congee. If you want to try some "street" food you should go to rice noodle carts. There's a really good one on Essex and East Broadway but not sure if they're opened on Sunday, nice lady been going there since I was 5.

Ah man, wish I knew this before. That sounds great.

Glad to hear you are having fun.

That's something someone who's never been to New York would say

They're plebs. Next time, put some on your spoon and let it cool off with vinegar on the spoon. And then eat it.

Yeah I took a trip there not too long ago from the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I also visited LA. I think LA is infinitely better. It's much more laid back, other than the traffic.

Long Beach was oddly peaceful.

I didn't check many places out up there as far as food, but Charlie's Cheese Steak in the mall was fucking awesome. Hahaha.

Good morning, Veeky Forums. Wow NY is pretty dull and rainy today. Seems to be some sort of bike marathon on.

Time for some fishy

Yes, the 5 boro bike tour. It's for fat people to pretend they're in shape and crash into each other.

Real Cyclists™ do the NYC Century, but that's not until September

Enjoy your fishies

How does the fish compare?

Australian here and even the cheapest fish and chip shop in bongland absolutely BTFO the fish we get in Australia. It was so good.

Fellow britbong following intensely!

How are you getting on with the 'tip culture'?
Keep us upto date OP.

I think the New Yorkers are assholes thing comes from the fact that we get straight to the point, often dispensing with pleasantries entirely. To some folks, especially Southerners that seems rude. But here slowing people down is what's rude.
Chinatown is the ultimate expression of the NYC dispensing with pleasantries thing.
My pleasure.
Good choice.
Whenever I'm gonna be picking up the bill for a group I head straight to Chinatown for this reason.
Have fun with that!

ahahaha this lady.
she has the worst cottage cheese ass.
never find photos of the back of her. it ruins everything.

How are you liking the booty so far?

OP Here. Will post pics of Russ and Daughters later, just did some shopping and arrived at Katz Deli. Just took this pic, we're waiting for a table of 5

The fish was wonderful and the flavours were more intense and more delicate than the norm that I'm used to in the UK. Lots of sweet / salt and vinegar tastes that pair well. The fishes texture ranged from a Cooked tender and flaky smoked haddock to a sashimi style cured herring. Pics to follow in a couple hours, don't wanna use all my data up!

It seems cheap at first but in a lot of places tax and tips aren't included so it's very deceptive

Bagel with smoked fish, beef Tomatoes, red onions and capers. The Goats Cheese cream cheese was a nice touch

Ofc these are all from Russ and Daughters.

'eggs benny ' as it was named, which was not really Benedict but more like eggs Royale crossed with Florentine. Delicate smoked Scottish salmon and buttery spinach on challah bread with a decent hollandaise and a soft poached egg. I split this with my missus and even half started to fill me up.

Fucking sideways picture again, sorry guys

not a big deal britbro keep posting and commenting on amazing looking food!

Her camera is much better than mine it seems

Haha, thanks

20 bucks herring platter which included 2 rollmops, 3 other types of pickled and cured herring and a little bucket of beetroot. It came with some pumpernickel bread and 3 dips - cream sauce, honey mustard and 'curry' (britbros, the curry one was fucking coronation chicken sauce, lolol)

The pink herring was sweeter and must have been cured with peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise etc as it had spiced notes. It was like a firmer sashimi in texture.

The Grey fish was' cooked' a little more and flaked but was stronger with vinegar, less sweet and was like a classic pickled herring that I know and love.

The rollmops had perfectly sweet, sour and crunchy onions inside that were like an improved sauerkraut, and very very juicy, unfortunately a tad too vinegary for me but we were eating a lot of pickled food so I was a little overwhelmed. She puts vinegar on everything at home so she had mine.

Overall a good experience, had a 30 min wait for a table but we got seated in 15. Great coffee too.

Quite pricey though, our bill came to 67 dorrah and we left 80 altogether. Not an everyday place but a nice gourmet treat for sure. Best smoked and cured fish I've had, by far.

Excuse me sir I will have you know that I huff gasoline, and so does my family. Meth is just dirty.

Rate/10

Would you recommend? Money no object.

Lol

Katz time. OK well they didn't skimp on portions here. Had a pastrami and corned beef combo Reubens style. The pastrami was better than the corned beef imo but I just enjoy the smoky black crust and the layers of fat on it. Don't get me wrong, the corned beef was great and flaked beautifully. Very very tender cuts and my vocabulary isn't quite wide enough to provide a good description. It was wonderful.

The brown mayo on the tables was nice and spicy, worked well with it all.

8.5/10 for food as it is very rich and if you choose a lot of pickled food it can get intense. The artisan breads are wonderful

They do all sorts of caviar there if that's your thing, and money is no object, ranging from 50 to 1000 dollars

Started falling apart about 3/4 the way through ha, the bread was a little grainy and didn't hold well. The cheese also went hard and rubbery but I just knife and forked the rest of it. Worth the wait, it's good meat regardless and I'd visit again if I came back to Manhattan

You're actually one of the better posters on this board. Keep up the good work.

I swear they should just ban poor people from Veeky Forums, it would make this board so much better

Not the britposter btw

Any thougths on the women in London vs the women where you're from?

Thanks user, just sharing something I've been wanting to do for a long time

Going to Madison Square Garden at 5 ish to see Pearl Jam, I'm gonna grab a slice from pizza suprema before I go in since I didn't manage to get to John's of Bleeckers

They are stereotypes to the Max here imo. No rudeness intended. I guess the same applies to the UK. A lot of women are deliberately loud on their phones here when they talk about spending shit on their husbands credit cards. Lol.

I saw a huge black woman opposite me on the subway eating a box of noodles by grabbing handfuls with no chopsticks or fork and lowering them into her mouth from a height of about 2 inches above her mouth. Is this normal folks?

>I saw a huge black woman opposite me on the subway eating a box of noodles by grabbing handfuls with no chopsticks or fork and lowering them into her mouth from a height of about 2 inches above her mouth. Is this normal folks?
Yes, 95% of the time if you see someone eating disgustingly on the subway (or eating at all on the subway), it's black, usually a black woman, usually an overweight black woman. I'm not sure what it is about black culture that makes them not totally grossed out by the idea.

>tfw someone is eating spaghetti takeout on the subway

WHY

Not that I mind that she was black but they do have the big momma stereotype here. It's not just Hollywood.

Honestly people move so fast in new York you don't get a chance to pass judgement

dat meat

I get out to NYC once every few years but have never managed to hit Katz's.

Chicago-bro here. Major metropolitan area + public transit = weird fucking people. Everywhere.

I'm really enjoying your thread OP. Maybe at the end of your trip you could make a rate list of all the places you went to with a comment or two about the place? Come summer time I'm also going to travel to NYC so it'd be nice to get another foreigners opinion.