Why do people hate Tilapia so much? Plentiful pest fish for everyone

Why do people hate Tilapia so much? Plentiful pest fish for everyone

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tastes like shit

For one, they say it's dangerous to human health and the environment. For another, raising/farming it is both cheap and easy, so there's no reason it should ever cost as much as it does in some stores.

There's no reason it should ever cost more than a buck or two per pound, depending on if you buy it filleted or whole.

Farmed tilapia (which, let's be honest, is the vast, vast, vast, vast, VAST majority of tilapia sold anywhere) has barely any flavour to it. It's got a neutral taste.

Where are you that tilapia costs much more than $2/pound?

Quite literally anywhere that's not an Asian grocery store sells it for more than $2/lb. Many places sell it for considerably more than $2/lb. I've seen it as high as $6/lb. For that price, I'd rather buy seafood that actually tastes like something.

Not him, but unless you're buying bulk frozen Vietnamese fecal brick fish at aldi, it's going to cost more than $2

Last time I bought some it was $2.25/pound at H-E-B, farm raised of course.

Four years ago doesn't count, my Texan friend.

OP what you are going to get here is a bunch of Bullshit feminist excuses .
Since I went full MGTOW I eat tilapia whenever the fuck I please.

Boring as fuck

Especially compared to premium fish like salmon and Chilean sea bass

Fuck sea bass is deliciously rich, flesh like butter and a light flavor great steamed

To be fair it could have been four years ago, the point is kind of moot though, after $4/pound you have much better options even in landlocked areas.

Bottom feeder that tastes like mud and shit, gritty texture sometimes, and it's a natural inflammatory.

You could literally dig a hole in the ground, fill it with water and grow tilapia.
Nasty...

tilapia is fish for people who don't like fish

I haven't seen tilapia for anywhere near that price outside of Asian grocers ($2.99/lb) for about four years, which is why I said that. It's skyrocketed in value for absolutely no reason. They're cheaper and easier to raise than rabbits, so by the concepts of supply (super motherfucking high) and demand (not nearly as high, considering the bad press tilapia's been getting), the prices should be considerably lower, but they're inexplicably not.

Since it's a bland garbagefish, the only thing going for it was that it was super cheap, but as it hasn't even got that anymore, there's really no reason to buy it, ever.

I've since switched to whiting* for all my frying needs since tilapia is $5.99/lb at my local supermarkets (unless it's on sale when it drops to $3.99/lb) and whiting is $2.99 regular price and $1.99-$2.49 when on sale.

Fucking delicious-ass salt-cod can be said to be cheaper than tilapia now. See, it's $9.99/lb, but after soaking in water, it swells to nearly double its dry weight, so it's like getting it for around $5.49/lb or so. And I love fried salt-cod.

>* 'whiting' refers to a huge number of fish species in different parts of the English-speaking world, but in the US, it's what the Americans call hake

So the Corona of fish.

it tastes like mud
wikipedia will tell you more

corona and tilapia is the perfect meal for a suburban college age girl on spring break

>salmon
I haven't had good salmon since 1983

It's all farmed, even the "wild" stuff tastes like ass because of escaped GMO shitfish

RIP traditional seafood, hello frankenfoods for Monsanto shills

Wild salmon is not even the same species as farmed salmon you gigantic fucking tool

It very much is, newfriend. Meat is very different because of dyed and engineered fodder, and lack of space. A wild salmon is pale and lean compared to a farmed one. Just like a european is to a burger.

>He doesn't eat Alaskan salmon.

haha what a fag. Since I went full MGTOW I only tear raw meat with my canine teeth from the biggest bulls to get that test.

If you were a real MGTOW you would not need extra testosterone.
Just avoiding women increases it.
Daily exposure to women keeps levels much lower.

Learn to enjoy it, it'll be the only fish left soon.

How is it dangerous to human health?

>MGTOW
thanks for telling me about this
what a crack up

first they laugh

Someone just needs to find a cheap food that will flavor the tilapia. Or genetically engineer a better one.

You fucking idiots talapia is not genetically engineered.

not sure, but maybe because it's a bottom-feeder?

It tastes like fucking dirt. Like seriously more than half of the tilapias I ate tasted like fucking dirt. The rest are tasteless.

Panga is cheaper to farm and unfortunately more popular, I prefer the cod-like texture of Tilapia. Of course ocean cod isn't much more expensive.

It's almost Copper River salmon season. Go buy that. Remember only medium rare or medium don't cook it well done.

>It's all farmed

My friends in Toxicology wont eat it because much of it is farmed on a diet of human waste in China. Toxicologists are generally pretty good at assessing risk and not afraid of any little exposure because they have perspective on more serious exposures. I trained in Toxicology before doing my current job and I am inclined to trust the assessments of my former colleagues. Thus, no tilapia on the menu.

I can't even

Farmed or escaped farmed fish. As demonstrated by your picture, regardless of what that hick may or may not think (do they think? can it be considered thinking?)

neat but wouldnt a dietition be a better person to ask?

I don't care for whatever environment crap, I just think it tastes like crap.

I grew up eating fresh fish from the ocean almost daily.

I saw it in manhattan last year in a key food for $6/lb farmed in argentina. Looked like boogers in a blue foam tray.

The biggest problem for salmon farming is currently the pink color and low muscle weight of farmed salmon, salmon are supposed to be orange to red and are much meatier

>MUH GEE EMOS

>MUH ARTIFICIAL

go balance your toxins with your Himalayan salt lamp kook

I love chili and sea bass

It's because a fuck ton of it comes from China and they farm the fish and chickens on the same farm, so all the chicken shit runs into the water, gets eaten by the fish, fish gets filet'd up and you eat chicken shit fish

but so are lobsters and crabs

Go drink a glass of fuming sulfuric acid. All chemicals are good for you, right?

Grouper4lyfe

i didn't say it made sense.

I know, I wasn't so much correcting you as trying to guess with you since I don't know either. It just didn't sound right b/c of that fact.

fair enough.

You've never thrown a lure in your life, have you?

I've been fishing many times. What makes you think you're special? The fact that you don't know what fish are native to what areas? Lol

>Farmed or escaped farmed fish.

Dumbass...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout

Go drink a glass of water. All chemicals are bad for you, right?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout
>Freshwater forms that have been introduced into the Great Lakes and migrate into tributaries to spawn are also called steelhead.
>In the U.S., there are hundreds of hatcheries operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and various state agencies and tribal governments propagating rainbow trout for conservation and recreational sport fishing
You were saying?

>flyovers getting uppity over their farmed fish they "caught"

If I shoot a cow in a pen, is that hunting?

Not at all. Species difference is what you taste. You'd know that if you read the package of you bought either in a supermarket or fish market. Even Kroger brand specifies.

>toxicology = study of chemicals on organisms
>chemicals =/= human waste
>primary concern from fecal contamination is biological
>Lobsters and crabs eat feces from animals with worse hygiene than humans.

And?

>hatcheries operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Are not fish farming.

And you're still a dumbass.

not him, but how do you not know the difference between a hatcheries and fish farms baka

Human waste often contains pharmaceuticals and human pathogens

you'd be too afraid to touch the gun, so it's a moot point.

That's not a salmon m8

And cow and chicken and rat and cat and dog shit does not?

pls explain someone

>chemicals=/=human waste
???????????????????????????????

>has barely any flavour to it. It's got a neutral taste.
This is the main reason I hate on tilapia and only buy the frozen fillets that are already breaded, etc. I like saltwater fish the best. Spanish mackerel, blue fish, and rock fish (striper) are some of my favorites. Mahi mahi, swordfish, and tuna are also great.

>It's because a fuck ton of it comes from China
Maybe you should check the origin of your food then. I purchase tilapia (frozen and parmesan breaded) that is farmed in the USA.

I check food origins and avoid China.

It has probably the grossest name ever.

"tilapia"

Barf

This is clearly false. The chickens would drown

chinese hold the chickens

You don't eat the part of lobster that is sea shit

Eat your mcdonalds and Whole Foods goy, stop whining about GMO

How exotic for her after blowing 30 guys

kill self

bump

Highly underrated post

Tilapia is far too bland, like sole (name fits the fish, might as well be the sole of my shoe)

I had it for the first time the other day and was pretty good and I don't like many types of fish (just salmon, tuna and swordfish)

My girlfriend made me eat it with the head on which was kinda gross, but she was right, the face meat is delicious.

Then I outdid her by eating the eyeball. The look on her face was worth it. (and the eyeball didn't actually taste bad).

Steelhead is better than salmon in every way.

Is she Asian?

Chickens float like ducks.

Mexican.

I guess they literally are what they eat.

It's a meme fish

Wild fish is dirtier and more unhealthy than farmed fish.

Same with wild snatch

>Same with wild snatch

Really?
I hope you're proud of yourself, user.

I'm not very knowledgeable of fish, but I think tilapia tastes fine.

Anyone else just slightly allergic to tilapia?

I'm not allergic to anything I know of, food or otherwise, but the last two times I ate tilapia, both at different places, my lips swelled just enough to be noticeable. Really weird reaction. I didn't even know you could be "slightly allergic."

My ex once said "I love kiwifruit, but you know that weird, tingling feeling on your lips, tongue and back of your throat when you eat it? I hate that."

>no... i don't know that weird, tingling feeling on my lips, tongue and back of my throat when i eat kiwifruit. i think you may have an allergy

"Really? Wow. Once, it made my lips swell up because I ate, like, a pound of them. It was funny!"

>you are such a fucking dingbat

Could just be because of the heavy pesticide usage rather than the Tilapia itself.

Allergies can increase in severity with each exposure.

>all that loose bones surrounding the stomach
>any flavor added to it and any preparation done with it doesn't make it less slimy

Tilapia tacos with salsa verde are fuckign amazing

I eat tilapia all the time, because that's what's usually available if I want seafood takeout. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, it just isn't a very exciting fish. Bland and boring.

>Living away from the coast
>not having a freezer perpetually stocked with halibut, sea bass, yellowtail, yellowfin tuna and other assorted reef fish.