Oxtail Stew in the Crockpot

I am making oxtail stew using the crockpot today. Never made it before so if anybody with experience has any tips or suggestions feel free to share. I didn't use a particular recipe but rather a amalgam of several recipes I found online.

Feel free to post any of your own content as well and as always r8, h8 and autofell8.

Yes, I overpaid for the oxtail but it is what it is

Gotta wash all the parasites and tapeworms off these fuckers with some salted water

Melting some bacon fat

If you're not saving your bacon fat, you should be

Coat in flour and brown those little niggers on all sides

Browning nicely

>$4.86/lb
>overpaid
I fucking WISH I could get it that cheap but my area has been overrun by white, coolier-than-thou hipsters who suddenly took interest in 'ethnic' cuisine last Tuesday and drove up the price to the point where good ol' immigrants like me won't enjoy it as often as we used to.
It's so sad, I could cry. ;_;

But yeah: I always do my brisket and oxtail soup, a common dish where I'm from, in the slow-cooker. I actually have one cup left over of the stock and 100g or so left of meat. Gonna have the last bowl of soup from this batch tomorrow.

Into the crockpot. There are about 6 more pieces so the crock is gonna be pretty full today

Lowered the heat. Garlic in

>implying i don't save all sorts of grease and lard and tallow and fat possible
Nigga, do you even know any immigrants? We're frugal as fuck. I've got five containers in the fridge of various sorts of grease and that's considered a /small/ number.

How long you need to wash them for? Is it a long soak or rinse.
Pretty interested in cooking some oxtail, haven't worked with it before.

Deglazing with a little red wine

I let them soak in heavily salted water for about 30-45 minutes then rinsed

I've always wanted to cook ox tail but I'm too scared. hope it turns out well OP

Not him (I'm the immigrant). I've never heard of anyone washing oxtail. Pretty sure it's completely unnecessary. Some people blanch it, though. Those people are wrong.

>Muh herbs

>Muh aromatics

Izzat some fucking linden, user? I thought you were an island Negro until I saw the rosemary. Negroes don't cook with rosemary.

Love Chicano knifes.

Muh prepped herbs and aromatics

>garlic
>ginger
>thyme
>oregano
>rosemary
>bay leaf
>all spice
>salt and pepper

No, I'm just a honkey. Rosemary came straight from the bush in my lawn. I wasn't sure about including it but I did anyway

Muh prepped vegetables

The liquid ingredients
>beef stock
>water
>worchestershire
>balsamic
>red wine
>tomato paste

that was the price in my circular this week

apparently they used to be cheap as fuck before hipsters started eating them

Started the crockpot at about 3:30 so it won't be ready until about 10 or 11 tonight but that's alright. I'm not adding the vegetables until about 2 hours in because Im afraid they'll get too soft. Smells amazing already.

In the meantime I'm gonna chill and get fucked up. Beer, whiskey, video games, weed, NBA playoffs...

What are you cooking today Veeky Forums?

ur mum.

Made mayo and homemade tuna salad.

everything sounded good up until nba playoffs

were you really serious about soaking them to kill parasites? it seem like cooking them would do the trick

I'm not even cooking today because I've got leftoover corned beef/cabbage/potatoes/carrots (bought 6 of them when they were 2$/lb back near st patty)

No, not serious about the parasites. I just washed them because I've never bought them before and didn't know if they should be washed. Decided to play it safe. Couldn't hurt.

Not really a big NBA fan either, but there isn't much else on TV. It's more background noise than anything

Quick update

I added the vegetables at about 2.5 hours in and this is one full ass motherfuckin crock pot, folks. If it starts to bubble over I might be forced to remove some liquid, but I expect it will reduce and that won't be necessary. I'm leaving the lid off for now

Brah I would start draining some of that off like right now

Oh man careful that looks ready to spill like a fat guy in a bathtub

I removed about one cup

this. lmao.

I give him about 30 minutes before he's gotta get out the ole mop and bucket.

It's a crockpot pal. It's not hard to manage

Exactly. A big reason people use it is so they can put some food in it and walk away. If you walk away you're gonna have a big mess, pal, champ, cowboy, buckaroo, scamp. I think you might be surprised how much liquid is gonna come off of that meat.

I stand by my original statement and thank you for your comments. I'll keep an eye on it and remove liquid if necessary

pls provide update, OP.

There's a little thing called the law of conservation of mass that would like a word with you.

There's a little thing called eat my fart dickbrain.

Gladly, as that is my fetish.

>he thinks the total mass will increase by heating the meat

lolol how's that GED holdin' up for you sport hahaha wow laddy

IGOR
>yeth, marster?
Put.
The.
Liquid.
BACK.

Lol, thinking about it. We're 4 hours in

OP here. I pulled an oxtail to sample and it was not ready. Due to the fullness of the crockpot I think it is going to take longer. At least another 1-2 hours. No worries. I'm in this for the long haul

Has overflow been a problem?

Quite the opposite. It has reduced down about another half inch since I removed the 1 cup of liquid approximately 5 hours ago

Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of Marmite . . . .I am not joking.

It really gives a 'beefy' hit. I always use a little for a good strong gravy.

Holy fuck it's good. Not a very pretty dish and bad lighting but it was worth the wait

It cooked for about 9 hours on low in the crockpot and it's falling off the bone. The flavor is very rich and beefy. Only thing missing is some mushrooms perhaps. Maybe next time

Today wad a great day. Hope you enjoyed the thread. I'm drunk and full. Goodnight

>those golden brown pearl onions

Fuck man my mouth is watering

I love oxtail and yours looks great. I especially love using my front teeth to scrape that softened cartilage/fat from the ends of the vertebrae. Nice work

Looks good OP, well done.

>finding onions palatable at all
you have shit taste

Thanks anons. I appreciate the feedback.

And to this user
I didn't want to engage you yesterday because I felt like you would derail the thread. But now that it's all said and done I need you to know that you are a colossal faggot and you were 100% wrong.