What does coffee taste like to you?

What does coffee taste like to you?

I've asked a lot of people and they all give me a smartass answer like "coffee".
They can't describe the taste and have probably never stopped to think about it.
Same thing happens when you ask them what coke tastes like.

it tastes like coffee

:^)

It’s the same way for most things. How would you describe saltiness? Or the taste of chocolate?

then what does coke taste like user?

also i would say coffee is a bit acidic depending on the roast, bold and strong, honestly it tastes a lot like it smells but a lot stronger

If you have anything enough you will grow to like the taste. When I was a little kid I used to eat my boogers and I still do

Bitter, grounded herbs

What a dumb fucking question

depends on the coffee

there is always an earthy, bitter, "coffee"ness to it, but some is bright and sour, even citrusy, some is dark and malty, with a caramel undertone, some has a bit of cocoa to it, or nuttiness, or even a currant/raisin tint to it. Some is burned into submission. Some is very green.

Coffee tastes like coffee unless it tastes like shit or whiskey

This.

Different roasts will have different characteristics. You'll always have a bitter finish to some degree or another but the type of bean and how it's roasted and if it's flavored can completely change the taste of the coffee.

General rule of thumb:

Lighter roasts will have gentler, livelier hints of flavor. You might get some citrus, vanilla or mild herbal notes from these light roasts and they'll also be the least bitter.

Medium Roasts get a bit more bitter, but still allowing some other notes to get through. Now you'll probably start to get some nuttiness, cocoa/caramel notes to it depending on how it was roasted. A good all around coffee.

Dark Roasts are obviously the most intense. Sharpest amount of bitter finish, dark earthy tones, benefit from being sipped in smaller espresso style offerings or diluted with steamed milk to cut down on the harshness of the roast. A lot of iced coffees are often made with darker roasts to allow their flavor to survive the flavoring and dilution that comes with being put into ice.

What does blue look like to you?

And don't give me some bullshit answer like "blue."

Like a darker, purple-ish green

just my own personal experiences with it - you can treat coffee very similarly to malted barley.

The source of the bean is going to be your base flavour, much like the origin and type of barley is going to be the base flavour of a malt.

If you roast it lightly, you'll develop lighter flavours, and conversely, the darker the roast, the "darker" and more bitter the flavour...

however...

to a certain extent, the higher the humidity of the roast, the sweeter and more caramel/vanilla the result. The effects of caramel, cocoa and vanilla are easier to achieve with malt (wider roast/humidity window), but if you have some green/base-roasted beans that you want to be dark-yet-balanced, squirt some water into the oven/kiln at regular intervals and steam the beans occasionally.

Interesting, Didn't know moisture levels were a part of the roasting process, I always thought it was a straight time and temp thing.

What does green look like to you?

And don't give me some bullshit answer like "a darker, blueish yellow"

"green."

Acrid, earthy, sometimes kind of ashy; has a strong taste of caffeine.
I hate the taste of caffeine.

It tastes like the earth.

>saltiness

in which case, the correct answer to this question is "bitter."

its a robust kind of bitter though, and anything more depends on what kind of coffee you're drinking. some may have chocolate notes, some may have berry notes, etc.

Salt and bitter are two entirely different taste buds you retard.
Next you'll tell me sugar is sour and lemons are umami.

you idiot i'm referring to the fact that if you are cool with describing a food item by one taste sensation, the same applies to any other taste sensation.

Depends on what beans you get, and then how you brew the coffee to bring out the flavours. Long brews with coarse beans tend to bring out the most in my experience.

Can you read? He's saying coffee is bitter, not salt is bitter.