What is American food?

What is American food?
Most countries you can easily identify their food.
I mean American in origin, not like hamburgers and hotdogs which are both German in origin.
The closest i can think of is barbecue.

Corndogs

Tex Mex is my favorite

Buffalo wings.

Tilapia

Everybody does barbecue, probably associate it more with Aussies anyway.

American food is simply another cuisine that's been overdone in the portions department.

Do you know what "mex" stands for?

Tex Mex is American

You do not know what barbecue is

Cooking on a grill is not barbecue

No one associates Australia with anything other than being shit-posting bellends, overrated at cricket, being a former penal colony and spiders, mate. Terribly sorry but you lot are forever irrelevant aside from your actors/actresses for their novelty, and maybe your beaches for holiday. Oh and that awful vegetable spread you pride yourself so much on.

Anyway, Yank food is an amalgamation of all the cultures that went into building the country. It'd be as if someone asked what is European Union food and there fore a silly question if you have any knowledge of global history.

That said, they eat a lot of it. But as England has also gotten gradually fatter along the way I suppose it comes inevitably.

corn flakes

>he thinks tex mex is mexican

That whole area of the U.S. is pretty much Mexico anyway.

Lad it doesn't take a genius to realize that america has had a very short history compared to the rest of the world, and an extreme abundance of usable year round farm land.

You know why russians eat beets and cabbages? because you can preserve that during a 7 month winter and survive, thats why they have a ton of dishes based around them.

Same with the rest of europe, same with china, same with every place in history that had struggles. America never had that struggle and their farm land is A++, so instead of having a food culture you have ALL food culture, you can have anything you want whenever you want it, often made by people of the country of the cuisine.

And before people start memeing off about how americans cant cook blah blah blah, there are thousands of good restaurants in america, and thousands of bad ones, same as every country.

But that doesn't make for fun shitposting, user.

The US is an immigrant nation with only a few centuries of food history. Much of our best shit is our take on foods immigrants brought to us. Which makes perfect historic sense. Also being a large country that was an early adopter of industrialized food production many uniquely American things are going to be 20th Century foodgore like ranch dressing and Kraft dinner.

That said some American foods I can think of are:
BBQ
Clam chowder
Chili
Coleslaw
Subs/hoagies/grinders
Goetta
Scrapple

hmm... good point

fried chicken, buffalo wings, barbecue, cajun, various soups and chowders, lots of sandwiches (like the rueben), biscuits and sausage gravy, grits, and dont forget the good ole turduckin

>fried chicken
No.

Deep fried X

X= anything

based fried chicken thank you ameriga

Clam chowder, steak diane, bananas foster, etc.

a chicken that is fried and fried chicken are two different things. The american fried chicken is distinct.

just like how everybody in the world fries fish but the brits draw claim to fish and chips because of the disgusting beer batter they use

What about apple stuff? We use to can and freeze and dehydrate and cook and this and that everything apple for the winter up in western NY. A few bushels of apples keeps for the whole winter in the basement of my parents house. Apple butter. Apple jam. Apple sauce. Apple cider. Apple this. Apple that. I don't know if any other countries grow all the apples we grow here or not though. If so just ignore me.

Cajun food is from the US. Pretty much any southern home cookin' is from the US

Wait what? Apples can keep for that long?

Don't upset them user . . .Americans are trying to feel they contributed something.

Let them have their five minutes of basking in their own dreams.

The point is you can get apples any time of the year so while its a family tradition for you to make a pile of apple related goods, you can still do it any time of the year.

If you were in russia and wanted a beet in march, you sure as hell better of pickled it back in june.

to be fair, it is roughly 15-20 degrees F warmer in the basement than outdoors as the house was built in 1846 and it's just stones making the walls of it from lake ontario and barely any mortar left and surrounded by dirt on the outside. So if it's 10 degrees outside, it's like 30 in the basement.

makes sense. Thanks

Not trying to fuck with you, bit wouldn't that be... worse? I don't know shit about this, but wouldn't a warmer environment make an apple go bad even sooner?

im just as confused as this user

I think it would. When we bring them up to use from the basement and into normal temperatures, they go bad fairly quickly. Quicker than most store bought ones somehow. We just don't want them to freeze before hand so the basement works well for the most part.

Thats still at about freezing temperature.

250 years isn't long enough to have developed a culture. Give it a few centuries.

ya know that isn't fair. Lets look at pickling cultures and traditional preserved foods

america revolutionized food preservation with canning innovations that the entire planet takes for granted now
every time you eat something that was cooked inside a sealed can or opened with a pop top you are eating something explicitly american in origin
lets not ignore cola either which is probably the 4th most consumed beverage on earth

corn on pizza

This
And this. Instead of culture in the traditional sense we have pop culture. And we do pop culture very well. Music, movies, television - we're good at that. The food equivalent of pop culture is fast food, sandwiches, pizza and tacos/burritos. We do a lot of that at low and very high levels. Couple that with heavy government subsidies keeping food cheap and we end up with a lot of cheap fast food. When fewer and fewer people are cooking at home it's hard to develop a cuisine within the culture. The job falls to "New American" chefs who reinvent regional styles of American cooking from the past for those willing to pay much more than the average American would. The "fashion" element associated with the popularity of these chefs relegates them to just another flavor of pop culture.

If youre serious, then you should pick up this book. (pic related) It covers american food and it origins quite thoroughly.

example..I was looking for a authentic turtle soup recipe..

any good pig pickin or possum recipes?

is it white washed american food or does it include ethnic dishes?

>Let them have their five minutes of basking in their own dreams
>a-american superiority is going to pass any day now!

burgers were invented in Connecticut USA

ground beef was invented in Germony

It's pretty hard for a country that's so young to create new foods in a world already saturated with different culinary styles. Everyones already been there and done that. Especially considering it's a country of immigrants and a mish mosh of their home styles. America does lay claim to creating new variations of existing things though.

Also, the hamburger sandwich was first created in Murica.

american food has corn in it

Are there certain dishes you had in mind? Most American food was developed by whites, even soul food in the south.

> Texas is Mexico

Yeah that's what I said.

Texas and California were Mexico not that long ago.

>white washed or just ethnic
>whites have no ethnicities

Good /thread

And even then, Americans are shit at BBQ'ing.

For someone asserting such a controversial opinion, your manner of writing is infantile.

When I say "controversial", I'm referring to the consensus exterior to the Internet.

>america revolutionized food preservation with canning innovations
nope.jpeg

Pic related is a true american food.

DELETE THIS

>Jambalaya
>Crawfish Pies
>Filé gumbo
>Shrimp etouffee
>Eggs Chartres
>Bananas Foster
>Chargrilled Oysters
>Oysters Rockafeller
>Oysters Bienville
>Muffaletta
>Po Boys
>Sweet Potato Pie
>Shrimp Mirliton Cassarole
>Grillades and Grits

Country ham and Bourbon ought to be on that list too

>Philly cheesesteak
>Eggs benedict
>Sloppy joes
>Succotash
>Hoppin John
>Pepperoni
>Andouille sausage
>Cornbread and hushpuppies
>Fried green tomatoes
>Chicken and waffles
>Root beer
>Pecan pie
>Chocolate chip cookies
>Red velvet cake
>Key lime pie

Considering whites are the most ethnically diverse group in America (Africa is the most ethnically diverse place on earth, but we took all our Africans from one very specific place in West Africa), the concept of whitewashing doesn't really make sense in this instance.

Here in spain american restaurants usually have:
burgers
bbq ribs
onion rings
mozzarella sticks
beef chili
nachos
jalapeños
bbq chicken
and that disgusting cold white cabbage salad

>cold white cabbage salad
cole slaw? i thought that was german? we used to call it liberty cabbage during the war.

>Also, the hamburger sandwich was first created in Murica.

That's actually debated.

The first cheeseburger however did in fact come from the US

>cole slaw
Thats it. The american restaurant I used to go always served that with the burgers.

>we used to call it liberty cabbage

No that's sauerkraut

most places outside the US think of barbeque and southern regional food when they think of "USA" foods.

>scrapple

hnnnggggggggggg I need to go back to the east coast.

buffalo sauce.

I always thought it was disgusting

European food prepared badly with inferior ingredients and loaded with HFCS.

In Jersey we call it Taylor Ham, but legally you can't call this ham because...it's not ham. In fact its only relation to ham is they both come from a pig.

Pretty good when sliced up and cooked on a frying pan though.

I'm american and what we mostly eat here is:
corn on the cob
corn on pizza
corn bread
sloppy joe or loosemeat sandwich
peanut butter and jelly sandwich
alphabet shaped pasta in tomato sauce
ketchup and margarine sauce
sugar cereal
sugar sandwiches
waldorf or cobb salads
mac and cheese