Add a cup of x

>add a cup of x

Is there anything more annoying than recipes that use archaic measurements like "cup"?

Maybe add an Ox horn of rice next.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)#Metric_cup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>fucking standardized measurements

I know, right?

God forbid somebody uses a sensible system.

>Is there anything more annoying than recipes that use archaic measurements like "cup"?
Yes, recipes that use volumetric measurements for ingredients that should be measured by mass.

You can convert from burgerstan cups to however many kilofucks, but you can't go from volume to mass without looking up density values.

I'm not pulling out my digital scale to measure rice.

And for most liquids a pints a pound the world around, so volume is fine.

And good fucking luck weighing 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.

Nothing should ever be measured in volume. Get yourself a £10 set of scales and you'll never have to convert to volume again, plus your measurements will be more precise.

The people who put men on the moon used metric.

Measuring by weight instead of volume literally only matters for flour and brown sugar when you're baking.

I find the scale to be much easier to use, as well as less cleanup. Put a bowl or pot on the scale and measure the ingredients directly into it. Tare the scale after each ingredient. That way you aren't getting any measuring cups or spoons dirty. Super simple, super fast.

Though, I'd agree about the baking part. And certain molecular gastronomy applications. Beyond that there is simply little need for that kind of precision. I think it's much better to get into the mindset of tasting your food and adjusting seasoning accordingly rather than trying to exactly duplicate the recipe author's measurements. Ingredients vary in flavor and potency therefore it's silly to blindly follow exactly what the recipe states.

>mfw Americans call 1 dl "1/3 cup and a tablespoon"

Also powdered sugar.

>mfw anyone uses the deci- prefix seriously

like NASA, maybe?

Im torn actually.
I like imperial measurements when baking because you don't need a set of scales when using cups.
However, adding 1/2lb. + 1tbsp + 9tsp + 10 oz is way more difficult than a similar calculation using grams.

The problem with that is that baking ingredients vary in density, therefore it makes much more sense to measure by weight than it does by volume. It's simply more accurate.

It's more accurate, but let's be honest, it's far quicker to use cups and tbsp. Those are the only imperial measurements I'd ever use on an everyday basis.

>but let's be honest, it's far quicker to use cups and tbsp

I disagree again. The scale is super fast has less cleanup. You can weigh all your ingredients into the same bowl without stopping:
Put bowl on scale, zero it.
Weight out first ingredient, zero it.
Weigh next ingredient right on top of the prior one. Zero it.
Repeat until you've weighed out all your ingredients.

That only requires two things: A bowl (or whatever container), and the scale. There's no fiddling around finding measuring cups/spoons. There's no need to clean said measuring tools. It's super low effort.

Fair enough

The people who put the men on the moon were mostly german scientists.

I stop reading any recipe if it mentions american measures.

Oh well aren't you special.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)#Metric_cup

You're in for extremely shitty baked goods if you're being imprecise with your baking measurements

imperial measurements are objectively superior to the subversive communist measurements

>Napoleon
>communist

Metric is far more imperial than Imperial ever was

>oz
>using weight to measure volume
america please

> metrics
> sensible
> pick one

Metrics is a wholly arbitrary system that has no relation to the end users - Humans.

The American system (i.e. The Right Way) on the other hand, suits us because it's based ON us; a bushel of apples is just the right size for an average human to pick up, a gallon of milk is the most convenient size, etc.

I'm not even sure if this user is serious, but the point he makes is true.

Maybe metric is easier for people who can't do basic math, but 1 cup makes more sense than 236.588 ml. Imperial is just more suited to cooking applications. If you're going to go work for NASA have fun with your precise metric system shit that doesn't apply to every day life; if you're going to complain about anything complain about bongs and their fucking stones. If you can't do basic math don't complain about getting recipes from American sites.

Yes, you. You are vastly more annoying.

They used both.

>I'm not even sure if this user is serious, but the point he makes is true.

But I am serious. 1 cup makes perfect sense to us humans because it’s just the right size for a human to drink, whereas 1 liter is meaningless, as it’s defined as one-thousandth of a cubic meter, which itself is meaningless, as that’s defined as the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458 of a second… Who gives a fuck?

The end result is containers are STILL made to Imperial measurements regardless of what the metric capacity is.

I believe they were all American citizens hence they were Americans

it's not quicker though if you factor in cleanup. with a scale you can add the ingredients directly to the mixing bowl, which you would have had to wash anyway. measuring by volume means you now need to wash additional measuring cups/spoons too.

>Not using superior water buffalo horns
Scrub.

It's literally all arbitrary.
The only advantage the metric system has is it's easier to mentally convert smaller units to larger ones.

You've never baked before if you think the variation in density of an average bag of flour is enough to make baked goods "extremely shitty." They might not be perfect, and you might see a problem with delicate cakes, but it's not enough to seriously matter. I personally prefer to weigh because I'm an autist but I've never had a problem with volumes.

Did you even graduate high school?

Seriously, if you can't instantly in your head convert and standard measure to metric and vice versa then you need to apply yourself and get an education.