What's the worst kitchen injury story you have Veeky Forums?

What's the worst kitchen injury story you have Veeky Forums?

I learned the hard way how dangerous cutting things like pic related when I was chopping potatoes for a catering event. As you might imagine my (serrated edge) knife slipped off the potato and cut the entire pad of my left index finger off. It was extremely painful because the dull knife actually pinched the finger until the pressure caused it to bluntly cut through the skin. This was years ago and I've since learned more proper knife skills, but I won't forget that shit any time soon.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/finger_pad
youtube.com/watch?v=noFCekWiUGE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

by far the worst ive seen was a few years back a guy opened the steamer in a hurry and reached in to grab some shit real fast before letting the steam out

pretty nasty burn all the way down his arm of like 2nd degree burn boiled skin...

but thats just the start

so the kid is a dirty fucking stoner and doesn't take care of his injury and the shit gets infected and he misses like 2 months of work

I was peeling potatoes with a potato peeler and peeled a huge chunk of thumb skin off

A guy i worked with splashed really hot oil on his hand, fucked him up for like a month. The fucker learned how to roll joints with one hand.

oil burns aren't very bad honestly... ive seen a guy go wrist deep in a fryer before and he wasn't fucked up for super long from it

Cut off the tip of my thumb slicing onions.

Since then my knife technique has improved, because Holy fuck was thay awful

>this photo

fucking kek

Sliced off half a nail while chopping onions for kakiage, heals fast tho

was the oil very hot? ours gets up near 400 degrees and i have a scar from over 2 years ago. it hurt for more than a week and all i did was splash it on the top of my hand while i was scrubbing the flattop grill.

I goofed my right middle finger up on a rotary meat slicer. Narrowly missed a tendon. Those things now upset me more than anything else in the kitchen.

shits usually like 375-400. i can just drop fish straight into it at like surface level and if it gets on my finger tips i just shake it off/wipe on apron and keep rolling and barely notice it. every burn ive gotten in the kitchen has healed except for one and it wasn't from oil (plenty of grease burns/all healed in at most a week or two)

some douche nozzle from lunch shift left the broiler on maxed out with a pizza pan in it for hours. shits like a trillion degrees so i use some tongs to grab the pan out. pan rotates and basically brands my forearm. shit sucks have a pretty gnarly scar from it and its like 3 years later.

now that I think about it it was probably due to the oil being heated by the grill, not the temperature of the oil itself. I pick fish out of the basket with my bare hands on the regular and while it does hurt, it doesn't burn.

protip. just clean your flat top with lemon juice instead of oil it works well and you don't have to worry as much about burning yourself or having to get rid of the grease

Whilst draining fettucine I scalded my leg. I had the colander on top of dirty dishes in the sink, and apparently the top holes of it were over the edge of the sink so boiling water soaked my leg. It was a pretty big area of skin too. Second degree burns, giant blisters. Had to go to the ER and have my shit wrapped and apply silvadine cream. I used to have a pic of the blisters but this happened 10 years ago so I lost it since then.

Worst one I've heard of was a bar hand catering at a big car race was sent out with a stanly knife to cut up cartons for recycling. Used his leg as a cutting board and severed his femoral artery. He ded.

I put an aluminum pan in the oven to finish off my meal and touched the hot pan once it was out.

I've done this before, but I had wet hands and the steam hit me before any contact damage was done, leaving a red, inflamed hand for 5 minutes.

This time, I had a bone dry hand. I knew not to touch it, but muscle memory was faster and more abundant than my common sense.

I have never had such a painful burn in my life. I iced it immediately, and could not bear to keep it off ice for more than a few seconds. It took 3 hours of switching out frozen vegetable bags and ice packs before I finally got the nerve to go without any ice.

I must've iced it with pressure just in time, because I have NO blisters. My fingerprints are weirdly smooth and shiny, and I have leathery callouses that are a bit sensitive where the pan touched (on 4 fingers and my palm), but no blisters!

man your restaurant doesn't have that badass spray for burns? not sure what it is but that shit works miracles

I'll mention it to my boss but you know how owners are probably. Resistant to change.

>i've been doing this for 30 years and it still works

something similar for me.

i was heating up the oven at 350F, and i didn't know a pan was in there. it must've been in there for 20 minutes as i was preparing the food, so it was pretty much fully heated.

i took it out with a towel, then forgot it was hot. i full-on grabbed the hot handle, and started walking to the other side of the kitchen. i guess it was so hot i didn't feel anything for 3-5 seconds, then it felt weird, then the worst pain i've ever felt. i was sweating and almost hyperventilating from the pain, even while it was being iced. took about 4 hours for the pain to dissipate. i had huge blisters the next day but was able to use my hand a bit, it healed quickly.

any time i touch that pan now, even if it hasn't been in the oven, my stomach tightens and i get nervous. it sucks.

Fucking brutal

>>be four
>> want apple
>> decide to slice apple in hand like dad
>> slice apple, also slice thumb
>> oh hey look, bone.

Got lucky, missed tendons and shit.

Almost 40 years later, still have a shadow of the scar.

that's solarcaine right? i used that for some sunburn the other day and it completely got rid of the pain. before you go thinking it was just some shitty sunburn, it wasn't. im a pasty white irish ginger.

>worked in a kitchen for 10 years
>wrecked my whole life
>worst industry ever

alcohol?

I slipped and sliced open my neck on a meat bandsaw. Now I'm dead.

>be like 4 years ago
>place is super busy, line is slammed, we're a bit in the weeds
>fucking new hire is draining pasta and somehow dumps a bunch of water on the floor, doesn't say anything
>I slip on said water and my entire arm from the elbow down goes onto the plancha
>Skin is visibly bubbling

once accidently let a hot and oily pancake fall on my foot. still have a mark.

>not covering your feet at all times

>not wearing flip flops like guy fieri and trying to make a joke when you get burned on your feet multiple times

tried to catch a falling knife once, reflex's faster then sensible though. razor sharp wusthof out of box for no longer than 3 days. Didn't even feel it first sign of injury was the pool of blood then hospital to get my pinky sewn back on

one time I burned my hand making frozen 'za

>making home made 'za right now
>yes at 2am
>put pizza in broiler after it was in the oven for a bit to get that nice brown crisp i love on the top
>close the door to the broiler
>min or so later open it with my foot
>stick toes in too far
>burn all 4 of non-pinkie toes
i'm now walking like a retard with my toes lifted up

Not the worst, but it was recent and 'za related

I got up in the middle of the night for a midnight snack so I was only wearing a bathrobe at the time. I was standing in front of the open fridge and the fucker was leaking so the floor was wet and slippery, as I was moving things around in there to get to the leftovers I wanted I momentarily had a 8" salami in one hand and lost balance and slipped on the water, oh and yeh my dressing down fell off and I feel anus first onto the salami, the whole thing went in and got stuck, I had to go to ER. Accidents do happen.

Cat knocked over the deep fryer (I don't even know how the fuck she did it, probably used it as a stage to get on top of the fridge.) I work third shift and so it night time when I woke up. Went to go turn on the kitchen light, hit that oil on the floor and snapped the cheap trailer bedroom door in half, sprained my wrist, and took an oil bath (I have long, thick hair, it was not a pleasant experience.)

similar story, same as in your pic but i hold my index fingers behind the knife but i got my thumb. life changes once theirs a piece of you on the table in front of you

Same story here bros. We were cooking up some duck duo dish a few years back and the chef liked to crank the ovens to 500 to finish the product super fast. I pulled out a pant with a rag, put it down, dropped the rag and muscle memoried the stick pan.

Same thing too, I iced it down immediately and had to work with my hand in a cambro of ice for a while, but then I had no blisters, just super smooth shiney palm skin.

shit was stupid

One time I was using a mandolin and cut my lower thumb into someones meal. The hand has yet to recover but, now I know atleast one person who has eaten human. He said it was the best dish ever.

Why the fuck would you even try that for slicing? I can see if you're going through the middle, but it should be natural to hold it on the other side if you want to slice. Just easier.

Did the same thing. Mine ended up blistering two days later but icing it continuously at first certainly helped. The pain was unreal for the first 8 hours.

Did the exact same thing, fucked my hand good, hurt for a couple hours then the burn turned white and went numb

But you ate the salami, right? Wasting food is bad.

Falling knives and cheating wives... Let 'em go, let 'em go...

>slipped off the potato and cut the entire pad of my left index finger off.
>pad

What are you a dog?

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SHIT IN AN ACUTE BURNING ACCIDENT CONTEXT: if you do not cool immidiately and thouroughly the heat will transfer through the tissue of the body and the burn will worsen.
The water in your body is pretty good at transferring heat.
so cool this shit. spray stuff is for the next day

I was showing my hot neighbor how to spatchcock chickens about a year ago with a cleaver. I was staring at her rediculous 34 DD jugs in a tank top and not paying attention. I showed her how to place the cleaver along the backbone and smack it with the palm of your hands a few times. She tried it, got the cleaver flipped around somehow and smcked the blade with the palm of her left hand.
>instant arterial bleed
>ohshit.jpg
She just goes oh no and stands there as blood shoots out of the 3 inch long newly formed gash with gleaming white cut through tendons showing. Emergency room, cast for 8 weeks...
Titties completely uninjured.

thats what the part of the finger you type with is called.
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/finger_pad

You would have seen those titties if you showed a little more patience, you perv.

>was dishwasher at the time
>kitchen floor slippery as fuck when wet
>just had a pretty crazy evening rush
>don't really want to get home past 3am so finishing up in sanic mode
>have a couple cups in my hands
>someone decided to do the mop but didn't tell anybody (not blaming him but still)
>slip like in a fucking cartoon
>cup handle breaks off and slices side of finger outwards from the beginning of my nail to the tip of the finger
>shit is pissing blood
>don't even care about being hurt, just mad that I can't work as fast as I want to

Fuck this industry.

i was quartering them, so yeah i was cutting it in half. used "slicing" as a catch-all. my bad family

youtube.com/watch?v=noFCekWiUGE

prevent-it next time

use the guard next time fagola

Haha, I have done the exact same thing. Colander balanced on big pile of dishes, boiling water comes right out and went on the leg. I was wearing jeans though so the leg was fine.

god damn
I don't want to kitchen anymore

chopped off about a 1/8" inch from the tip of my middle finger chopping an onion while drunk. i ended up supergluing it back on, but it fell off after a week and the skin eventually grew back.

>no headcovers on the line
>not asking for help moving a full pot
>no PPE
>didn't clean her shit up
>yakkity-yak through the window for any reason not work-related

bitch deserved it

Thanks senpai

While washing some dishes in a full sink I happaned to grab onto a fucking FOOD PROCESSOR BLADE.
My damn finger bled nonstop for about 2 hours untill someone adviced me to put some flour onto it.

I've been pretty fortunate. A couple of minor burns on fingers that blistered and were painful for a few days - one left a scar that only recently faded. I've also had a few minor cuts, but never cut anything off.

this won't happen if you
>clean up spills and shit on the floor immediately
>ask for H E L P moving a large pot full of anything
>wear non-slip shoes

i prefer danskos but not everyone likes them

dont run food processor blades through the dishwasher. dip them in your sanitary bucket, wipe them off with a clean towel and call it a day. same with kitchen knives.

Danskos are so fucking uncomfortable tho and I feel like when I inevitably roll my ankle in them I may need my damn foot amputated

Only ever burned myself, and no kitchen burns have been as bad as the time I dragged a soldering iron across my finger.

i legitimately wear pic related and they just straight up don't slip unless it's mop water with degreaser in it, and even then its okay.

Or tell your employer not to be a cheap fuck and get some grill cleaner.

Also, vinegar works just as well as lemon juice and its a hell of a lot cheaper then using up all the lemon juice on the grill

I cut the tip of my ring finger off lel, and it's still gone

Had a similar thing, also dishwasher, stacked fresh plates in the heating cabinet, pushed one of the "old" ones too far out, broke in 3 pieces, instinct told me to get gloves first, somehow ignored instinct and picked up broken pieces, razor sharp shit cut two fingers, blood dripping like a mad cunt. Washing room full of shit to be done still. Mad as fuck at my dumbass self.
Thank fuck for those blue compression bandages.

are you in hell now because of those quads

CLEAN AS U GO FAGGOTS

Underrated post

Why do people suddenly have a problem of using the words then and than?

A few minor cuts, nothing too serious. I've seen the bone on my middle finger a couple of times. Worst injury was when I came home absolutely fucked after a night out and decided I need to make pasta.
Pot of boiling water fell on my hand. Too drunk to register how serious the burn was, wrapped it in some cotton gauze, put a condom over my two middle finger to keep it from unravelling and went to sleep. When I woke up and unravelled it all the skin came off with the cotton along with finger of my ring finger. happened about a year ago, I have no fingernail on that finger, turns out if you damage the root cells bad enough they never grow back.

*fingernail of my ring finger, fuck
Pic related

When I was little we were pan frying steaks. I, being a retard 7 year old just plopped the thing into a pan of boiling hot oil. It splashed all over my face. My face became completely covered in blisters and 2nd degree burns. A week later the blisters turned black.

Eventually, I healed and amazingly I have no scars. It was probably because it happened when I was so young and because the oil cooled fast enough to only kill the surface layer of skin and not the flesh underneath it.

cut my index finger opening a tin can with those pull up things

Their are just a lot of stupid people out they're.

Oil fire
I panicked like a fucking idiot and the first thing that sprang to mind was to find a safe place to dump the oil so I hurriedly brought the flaming pot outside and dumped it into a snowbank.

Burnt a good portion of my arm and some of my face in the process, but honestly it could have been a LOT worse

I was cutting Rippchen on the meat saw and was in a hurry due to the dinner rush. Put my thumb perpendicular into the blade splitting my thumb like a overcooked sausage right to the beginning of the nail. Was in such shock I literally walked up to manager and calmly said "Yeah, I think I gotta go" while spraying blood everywhere.

Dun goofed last night.

I was cutting some leftover, stale Italian bread. It was hard as a rock.

Somehow everything slipped. Ended up slicing into the top of my index finger, in the middle between both joints. It was at an angle too, so it's huge, long and deep. Bled nonstop. Maybe I'll take a picture next time I change the dressing.

I was replacing an industrial blender blade and I didn't have the tool that tightens it down, so like an idiot I tried to tighten it by hand.

The thing was coated in mineral oil because it was brand new and my hand slipped, the laser-sharpened edge of the blender blade cut my palm down to the bone and about 3 inches down my wrist, missing major blood vessels and tendons by less than an inch.

It didn't spurt blood. Just started gushing like crazy. I almost passed out. Duct-taped that shit together and drove to the ER.

$6000 (payed by workmans comp) to get stiches and over 30 shots of novocaine because that shit wouldn't work for some reason. Hurt more getting it stiched than anything else.

Yes. Hell sucks, don't die.

honestly nothing too bad yet. burned myself a couple times. have a small scar on my finger from cutting in pretty deep but I think that happened from washing dishes actually.

my dad cut the tip of his index finger off with a cleaver though. for some reason he was chopping a head of lettuce with a cleaver and he just hacked right through it. it actually regenerated like a fucking lizard, no joke. nail and all.

be around ten years old, helping out in the kitchen, put one hand on top of pick related, let thumb slip down resting on top of potatoe, then rammed that damn thing straight into it, cuts werent very deep but man lots of em

dumb bitch

worst i had was cutting my hand open on a broken plate in the sink

fucking horrifying psa

jesus I don't want to cook

I was going to post a story about cleaning my blender at home and getting a deep cut in my finger, but holy shit user. You win.

Why did they give you a serrated knife to cut potatoes with in the first place?

Most of my injury stories are the same. I know the container is hot, but decide my bare skin can handle the short distance from the oven to the counter. Three weeks later the burns have healed and I start thinking I'll be able to do it without injury next time.

chef at my work sliced a good 1/3 of his thumb off with one of these things because he's retarded and didnt use the fucking handguard.

Fuck mate

Drunk injuries are the worst. Not a cooking related one, but I stood up too fast after a night out and slammed my arm into the dresser near my bed. Didn't think a thing of it until I woke up in the morning with my arm incredibly sore and my sheets covered in blood.

shoes 4 crews son

Nearly took off the tip of my left ring finger on a serrated knife. Was working and cutting sub rolls up a specific way for lobster rolls that night. Was going fast and my mind slipped for a moment, I let my ring finger stick out when I had all my other fingers properly holding the bread.

This thing really showed me how retarded some cooks can be.

Whenever I go to my mother's house, I end up fucking myself in the kitchen, somehow.

>Have dinner at mom's
>I always washed the dishes when I was a kid, so I continue to do so whenever I'm visiting my parents
>Stick my hand in the basin where dishes are soaking to grab a plate
>Pull plate, left hand's palm has a 2 inch gash and is bleeding like a motherfucker
>Spread soap foam
>Fucking food processor blade firmly stuck between aperitif plates stares back at me with a shit-eating grin

>Years ago
>Huge fucking draught, mom is using dishwater to keep some of the bigger plants in the backyard minimally hydrated
>Arrive at her house, she asks me to throw the dishwater from the lunch on some of the plants
>Fucking 5 gallon bucket overflowing with greasy, dirty water (she has this terrible habit of always filling things to the brim)
>Grab bucket, carefully take it to the backyard in order to not spill grayish filth water on myself
>Dump half the bucket on a guava tree
>Turn the remaining water on a nectarine tree by turning the bucket over
>Horrible sound, stinging pain in my legs and feet
>Glass shards are stck to my legs and adorning the gravel
>Mom had left half a dozen glass saucers just resting on the bottom of the bucket, and only Satan might know why

I was autistic when I was younger and cut potatoes by holding them in my hand and then cutting inward to my hand. As you can imagine my hand looked like shit afterward. Blood everywhere, on the potatoes, on the counter. I have a ton of scars. I learned my lesson and now cut them properly,

i chose it, because we use them for almost everything. i wouldn't make the same mistake today

One time I tasted soup for seasoning but forgot to blow on the spoon first and it burnt the tip of my tongue.

Opening bag of lettuce with bread knife

>opening anything but bread with a bread knife
but why

finger condoms. tell them to get some they fucking suck if they don't have some in a kitchen.

>worried about cost of lemon juice
>recommends grill cleaner

nowhere ive ever worked with will splurge on cleaner. lemon juice is $3/gallon. vinegar is more expensive and would be shittier to breathe in than lemon juice.