Do you like Indian food?

Do you like Indian food?
Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.ca/books?id=XR9YIaG0kIcC&lpg=PA166&dq=vanishing food traditions proceedings&pg=PA144#v=onepage&q&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=a1sUPZIB62g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>no cow meat
no

>do you like Indian food?
A little, not as much as I used to.
>why?
Years ago I lived in KSA supervising contractors mostly from India. The smell of that food oozed from their bones. To this day I can't smell Indian food without being reminded of the BO from those guys.

Yes. Because it's genius.

I like their vegetarian stuff since it tastes great and is always much cheaper than the meat options. Wouldn't eat it too often because of BO.

Nothin like a good vindaloo.

did they not bathe?

yea one time I was kissing up on an indian qt in my car and that bitch smelled like a wet onion patch, nasty. Though I hear people of other races say white people have a smell too. Some say we smell like spoiled milk. When I worked with a bunch of niggers they said we smelled like wet dogs. I fired back and said niggers smell like weed and hand lotion and they thought it was the funniest shit ever because its true.

Yeah it's gorgeous

Yes.

Huge variety. Good mix of subtle vs bold, complex vs simple flavours. Good meat and veg dishes, usually very affordable. Attention is on the flavours, unpretentious.

The poor hygiene in some places is a bit of a bother but not as big an issue as people make out, certainly not as bad as certain other ethnic cuisines (Vietnamese).

Naan is life.

If you eat enough turmeric/garlic/onion/asafetida , all your bodily secretions smell like them. One of my roommates had some kind of pre-workout that was all vegan or something, it was full of turmeric, and holy Jesus did his gym bag smell like a Mumbai commuter train. You could smell the thing five feet from his door.

It helps me to poo in the loo

Yes.

Why? Why like any food? It's delicious.

I can still remember my first indian meal. Second year of college. Went out with my roommates. It was the only Indian place in town. I had chicken tikka. Spices were like nothing I had ever tasted before. Garlic naan. It shouldn't be that much different than garlic bread but it was, elevated to some new level. And a mango lassi. So sweet, so smooth and rich. It was the flavor equivalent of seeing a new color for the first time.

Its really good but its always expensive for something thats street food.

only with a small amount of feces

U realize you can just make it yourself and add cow meat right?
I just made creamy tumeric stake kebabs and they were fuago

Weed and hand lotion smells great tho

This. Indian food is astonishingly easy to make.

Teach me senpai

I used to be a chef in India for a few summers. I would post Indian cooking advice here, but I always get the impression nobody would be interested in learning the traditional stuff, just 'chicken curry and naan' or shit like that.

There are traditional beef dishes....

Its not harder than all other cuisines, but its definitely one of the hardest cooking to learn or master m8.

Yes, because it's loaded with fucking butter so it makes a great guilty pleasure. Also - if you don't think well-made Tikka Masala is GOAT-tier, please kill yourself.

> Tikka Masala
> Indian
Oh boy, westerners probably think Indian food is loaded with butter and cream and you drink lassi with it right. Fuck.

Woah woah woah I'd LOVE that!

Alright user you win, it originated in the UK.

Still good shit

I've heard this is true about cumin as well. I douse everything in cumin, do I smell like a spic?

Pad Thai originated in China

You sound like a fag

I bought my dad this wierd copper pan that's fucking gorgeous a couple of years ago, he tried using I twice and both times he both fucked up the food and the pan got completely black k and he had to clean the black off
We guessed since it doesn't distribute heat the same way we are used to it must be designed to cook things like curry.
There is no way I'm talking g him into giving it another chance, and its OK enough as a decorative thing to have in a kitchen but I always wondered where did we fuck up with it

Here's a very interesting article about why modern Indian food is synonymous with Punjab food.

books.google.ca/books?id=XR9YIaG0kIcC&lpg=PA166&dq=vanishing food traditions proceedings&pg=PA144#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yes.

This is the primary reason I don't eat curry multiple times every week.

He could use it to serve instead of cooking with it

I'm not saying its bad. I'm just saying that the stuff most westerners think is typical of Indian food, is really really not. Even the dishes which are indian, are prepared way differently. And the everyday stuff we eat is much different. A good meal is like 3 or 4 curries, 2 or 3 sides, some pickles, etc. while here people just eat a pile of curry on rice.

>copper pan
What did you use it for? Generally copper stuff is more decorative/serving.

Didn't read article much, but just to say, the regional cuisines are by far the most popular food in those regions. The 'standard indian' stuff is only in hotels etc. catered for foreigners. Vast majority of Indians eat their traditional type of food, even in cities. I know I never knew what vindaloo or tandoori chicken tasted like, even though they are legitimate foods from certain regions.

I know westerners who go to India and only eat this type of food, its pretty hilarious. Its like they are not aware that if you go from state to state, almost no dishes are common.

indian beef curry has beef.

I like most foods. some indian foods are nasty, but the chaat places are great. love the small dishes similar to tapas

curry and paella.
It really pretty, even better than what google shows you because its rustic with a handle that doesnt look factory made.
We got lucky really, i paid for it the same that the cool steel pans rich people buy cost but only because it was the last one and they forgot to update the price for a long time.
It was still really pricey for a pan but still the best gift i ever got him

Do you like human food? WHY????? I FUCKING NEED TO KNOWE WHY GODDAMNIT

There's a hole in the wall biryani place near where I work.

All my IT Indian coworkers at the office love it and demand we get it every now and then.

Me and the other white guys, and our one token negro dread our bi-weekly colon cleansing.

But while I hate the aftereffects, it's some tasty shit and I love it.

Im very interested in advise and any recipes you recommend, might make butter chicken in a bit its all i know how to make

A place specifically for biryani? Fucking lucky. Biryani at a general Indian takeout is usually a bit of a letdown, because it's usually a hastily-made afterthought because people don't order it as much. It's just one of those things that has to be specialized in.

Sure, it's cheap, tasty, actually spicy, and it's the only place within fucking 50 miles I can get lamb because I live in the boonies.

Add equal parts garam masala, tumeric and curry powder and salt (amount differs by preference).

You have just made a masala base for anything from curry to marinade.

I'm from Hyderabad, basically where most Indians agree is the best biryani, at least in top 2. Yeah its a fucking art. But no, biryani doesn't have a type of plate for it. Those copper vessels are really used for anything.

> marinading with garam masala
> putting in a base
> mixing powders of spices
> using whatever 'curry powder' is
that's like saying putting soy sauce and msg in something makes it chinese.

Alright, i'll consider making a thread this weekend about a particular dish. As for general recommendations, the only english videos which are really good are VahRehVah. Here's a great one
youtube.com/watch?v=a1sUPZIB62g

That's some high praise

Not him, but that's why I enjoy trying new cuisines and food.

I had the same experience with Ethiopian food. I came in expecting it to be shit, but it was eye (and mouth) opening.

>I would post Indian cooking advice here, but I always get the impression nobody would be interested in learning the traditional stuf

you fucking cockteasing slattern

Indian guy told me that they are only allowed to eat cows that die by themselves. So they push cows off cliffs and say they fell off

Not all Indians are Hindu you know. There are lots of Muslim Indian and Pakistani dishes that contain beef.

Any good sit down places in the NYC/Queens/LI area?

I'm trying to get a SO to actually like India food. I would like to take them to a Dosa place or a biryani place, but somewhat "nice". I don't think they would react too well to a delicious hole in the wall.

There is a biryani place next to my office whose owner is good friends with my boss.

Fucking amazing. You know its a good place when at lunch, the entire restaurant is full and not a single word of english can be heard

>ordering sweet lassi
>being this much of a pleb

Also, great story.

Paneer is good shit. Here's some I made to go in a butter masala.

Please teach me your ways!

The pickles are the main thing left out compared to my experience with a California city that has a large Indian population. Rice is eaten significantly, but people usually get muntitled curries and sides as well. The pickles I'm curious about, having tried them little. Are they used more as a condiment, or a palate refresher typically?

yogurt or perhaps drinking rasam serves as the only refresher, while pickles are extremely pungent and spicy condiments. there's a few exceptions though, like tamarind pickle which is usually quite mild and a bit sweet.

protip: the best pickles imho are gongura, gooseberry, and 'kerala mango' (kadakkumanga)

I worked in the bay area last year (lived in sunnyvale), the food was pretty top-tier if you know where to go.

I'll be here to answer questions if you have them m8

I'm in the 831, don't suppose you'd be able to drop any specific recommendations? I'd love to try something authentic (and with pickles!) Don't mind a bit of a trip to get there.

I haven't been that far, but I have been to San Jose; iirc its all fairly standard stuff. If you ever make it to sunnyvale (far away I know), Madras cafe is where I ate all the time - its like eating at a decent place in India basically. Ulavacharu is good too, they have nonveg.

desu as mentioned before, basically all the Indian food you'll get in the states is punjabi (and usually westernized at that) - the other stuff is rare but if you look for places with lots of south indians, it'll be there.

Designated.

Shitting

that is some damn good shit. i fucking love Mattar paneer

>I'll be here to answer questions if you have them m8
As if Americans have any idea of Indian cuisine.

Even your idea of pickles is so far removed from the truth, please don't post any more.

You pleb

Most of it is too spicy and rich for me, but I love Indian breakfast food. Dosa, idli, wada, upma, the works.

Also, Indian desserts are decent as we'll. I like these sweet pretzels called jelabi

Good. Mostly peasant food that cares little for the freshness or the quality of ingredients used, but it still obeys the rules of cuisine in terms of fat vs spices vs temperature, and the trade-off of emphasizing on spices works.

I think it's a blessing that india never realized what vinegar was for, since they would've likely become mexican food with it.

As for delusional buggers like , they can just choke in "hottest pepper on the planet" contests.

because my colon is evil and it must die

white people smell like a mixture of shampoo and febreeze. Quite pleasant.

Black people smell even better. Like baby powder.

I like how Indian people smell. It can be very strong indeed, but it's not a bad or foul odor. It's more of a complex fragrance of curry and licorice. I wouldn't mind kissing an Indian QT and smelling that.

Punjabi food, yes. It's like Central Asian Tex-Mex. Mainstream Indian is kind of meh.

Junoon is nice.

Tikka Massala is my favourite.

Tuermeric doesn't have that much smell, you are thinking of cumin.
It depends. I think whole cumin seeds would give you more a smell because they are more potent, but that's just my theory

>Mostly peasant food
You think curries are peasant food?
>little for the freshness or the quality of ingredients used
lmao you sure don't know much about india nor indian cuisine.

1. Smell
2. their curries are one of the only non-meat dishes that are filling
3. Good for you
4. spicy

Saag is the best curry. Prove me wrong curryplebs.

No.
Indians and microwaving their disgusting food was the reason I left IT. Whole fucking office smelled like blown asshole for the remainder of the day.

literally everything you just said is wrong

I'm not american, I've lived only in India besides 2 years.

>leaving an entire profession because of food smell

Anyway to cook Indian food without my whole apartment smelling like goddamn spices for the next week? It really stands out in Prague if you cook Indian food, so I just end up getting takeaway which is shit since the flavours are never right.

>Anyway to cook Indian food without my whole apartment smelling like goddamn spices for the next week?
No. It can help to use one of those mesh things to cover oil when it splatters (any Indian store will have them), and to put the hood fan on high. Still, your place will smell delicious.

I do like it very much, but none of the Indian dishes I've made myself have turned out nearly as good as the ones I've had at various restaurants. No matter if it's authentic dishes or westernized, restaurant-style ones. I've tried making Indian food so many times only to be let down that I've come to the conclusion that I'm just shit at making it.

Butter chicken and garlic naan with some raitta sauce nigga

As a half-white mongrel who eats garlic and spices all the time, living in Burgerland, all the white people here smell like bland ham and cheese sandwiches (which I rarely eat) to me. But they're college students so that makes sense.

I just like their curry.

Usually it's Water Buffalo though. They are not considered holy. Great meat too.

Yes. Because I like curry and spicy stuff in general.

no, it's all stew and tastes like curry

There are a lot of muslims in India. They do not consider cows holy and they make beef dishes.

Made me want to travel to India, man. Just that one meal.

Didn't know what it was. The menu had sodas, beers, tea, and this drink called a mango lassi. So I thought I'd try it. Oh, and I had never had mango before either.

I'd certainly like to try other variety of lassis, particularly cannabis lassi.

>Huge variety. Good mix of subtle vs bold, complex vs simple flavours. Good meat and veg dishes, usually very affordable. Attention is on the flavours, unpretentious.
everything is there

Am i really the only one who can't stand within 50 feet of cooking indian food? It's like someone literally shit liquid right into a saucepan and simmered it for an hour

My local Indian place makes the best Sambhar soup. Lately they give me a free order tog it to take home because they know how much I live it,

Bless you, sweet child.

DESIGNATED

Indian food isn't authentic without shit dust in it.

Fuck yeah, cause it's fucking dank, dumbass

Cause tasty you ass

So I just bought the red chili powder in pic related (although mine doesn't say xtra hot). I'm wondering if I can use it in place of Cayenne pepper?

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

That's the kind of stuff that the bad kind of indians use. Where their entire kitchen is covered in a thin film of grease and their dishes are never quite clean and they actually buy frozen parathas and everyone in the family has BO, but they have a really expensive car so that means they've Made It®

That doesn't answer my question

Thank you for confirming my fear that diarrhea is a traditional ingredient in pooinloo food, passed down from generation to generation