WINE?????????

I really want to get into wine but where do I start? Pretty burnt out on beer ect..

in b4 lurk moar

Other urls found in this thread:

realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>buy wine
>drink wine
>pretend you can taste hints of oak, cherry and aromatics
>profit

Find a local winery or some place that does wine tastings and go try a variety of different wines. Figure out what varieties you prefer.

Once you have a rough idea of what you like, start buying different bottles of wine at the store.

Learn to pair wines with a variety of different foods.

Like cheese?
I don't want to appear a flyover tard.

left off the most important step

>buy more expensive bottle
>pretend its markedly better than anything cheaper/anything you have had before
>buy more expensive bottle

>I don't want to appear a flyover tard.
Too late.

But yes, wine and cheese go well together. Generally white wines with poultry, reds with beef/pork, sweet/sparkling wines with desserts, etc.

You start by going to a store that sells wine, buying the wine, opening it, and drinking it. Glass optional.

If you want to legitimately learn about wine, you do it the same way you learn about any other food or drink. You educate yourself about what you're buying, ask questions, pay attention, try new things often, challenge your preconceptions, and make a habit out of drinking wine.

If you want to develop good taste, find a store that specializes in wine (rather than a generic liquor store), and don't be afraid to talk to the staff. Be up front about what you've tried that you liked and didn't like, make an effort to explain why, and don't try to use fancy words you picked up somewhere unless you fully understand them, or pretend to know stuff you don't actually know.

The challenge for a lot of people is that there are a lot more places selling wine than places that actually care about wine, getting advice from the ignorant is worse than nothing at all. If the wine store has a website or blog and the owners/buyers/staff are posting on that site or blog, you can tell pretty easily if wine is a personal passion for someone there, or if it's just about the money.

Also, while there's no need to buy super expensive wine, or skip a wine just because it's cheap, the less limited your budget is the more opportunities you'll have to try different and new things. The wine industry has gotten fairly good at industrializing some styles of wine so that you can have a cheap approximation of the fancy one that won't be too far off the mark (see: bordeaux style blends), but some other wines are not currently possible to clone on an industrial scale (biologically aged sherry, for instance), and therefore you have to pay the price of entry if you want to taste them.

Finally, don't listen to the who tell you all wine is the same, they are just ignorant and jealous.

Red: merlot
White: driest sauv blanc you can find

Literally all you need to know

Take this anons advice.

Also, I find a good introductory wine that is pretty palatable is an American Riesling

Also, my guilty pleasure which will be mocked very much is a cheap white zinfindel

>American Riesling
Ehhh... so much of it is terrible though, tropical fruit NZ-tier garbage, and even "good" regions like Finger Lakes produce their fair share of mediocre stuff.

Safest bet is Mosel or, in a pinch, Alsace, but preferably Mosel.

That is why it's introductory. Take your wine snob faggotry elsewhere

I find it objectionable when people recommend low quality foods, drinks, or whatever, on the grounds that you have to drink (or eat) crap in order to "graduate" to something good. This is why riesling has a reputation as being a grape for crap wine. Because of people like you. It's great for people like me, because the good riesling is seriously underpriced, but it's also kind of a dick move to turn a new wine drinker onto an intentionally low quality product, so that they can later go through that insufferable asshole phenomenon where they exclusively drink leathery, tannic heavy reds. Not that there's anything wrong with those, but I can't even count the number of times I've talked to someone who goes "rieling? lol, bitch wine"

Or maybe you are saying that one shouldn't have standards at all. If so, I'm ok with this, as it's at least logically consistent.

Jesus christ, please right some more cringe. You are the kind of dipshit that would enjoy grape koolaid w/ vodka in a nice wine bottle and have no idea what it is and rate it with a string of retarded adjectives

Sure, if you find yourself unable to defend your opinions, then resort to insults. Fuck wine, and fuck everyone who drinks it!

There is nothing to defend. You are the typical, "If I don't like it, it's either low-end or low-quality....but my taste buds always coincide with what is "in vouge" or pretentious"

Not even a fedora reaction image?

Nice. On a non confrontational note since you seem to be open to discussion and I haven't been.

What is wrong with a graduation so to speak of different wines. It's very hard for a person who has never drank wine for example to understand the complexities of a long aged complex cab and first response would be to spit out

1. don't pay too much but don't pay too little
2. chardonnay is an apology from god for having fucked up and ruined literally everything else

personally i detest red wines and sweet wines, but lots of places will let you test all kinds, so let your tongue decide -- no user, no matter how smugly anime-girl-faced, can tell you what you like

I wouldn't tell someone who is new to wine to drink an oxidized sherry or a funky corbieres, or some weird spontaneously fermented monstrosity from Ambiz or Cornelissin. I wouldn't suggest someone new to wine drop $100+ on a 20 year aged barolo.

Outside of fringe cases like that, the flavors and smells of almost all other wines, including almost all rieslings, are approachable and discernible even to an uneducated palate. I'm talking just balance between acidity and sugar, simple stuff like that, which cheap wines often get wrong, particularly cheap sweet wines.

They may not be able to do sommelier parlor tricks that people associate with "wine snobs", but in general, I think it's wrong to assume that good wine is "wasted" on people who aren't regular wine drinkers.

Anyone can tell fresh squeezed orange juice from the reconstituted stuff. Anyone can tell an in-season local apple from an off-season Red Delicous from NZ. Most of the time, people can tell fruit juice from 10% juice drink with HFCS. Wine is juice, delicious wine is delicious juice. And you may or may not be aware of how much "not grapes" crap goes into cheap wines, to try to correct more serious problems and turn garbage into something pretty much "drinkable" (the food equivalent would be "edible", hardly something you want to hear from a guy endorsing a food, is it?)

I get the same way about beer, it annoys me to hear someone say "oh but you have to drink guinness and harp for a few years, the good stuff will be lost on you". That's just not how it works.

Start making your own.

Take an empty two liter and a 12 ounce can of grape juice concentrate, add a cup of sugar, fill half with water, shake, and water until it's like 4 inches from the top. Just above the label. Add wine yeast, leave the cap on a little loose, and wait a month.

It tastes better than wine you buy in stores, costs less than a dollar to make nearly two bottles worth and its stronger than store bought wine.

>It tastes better than wine you buy in stores

lol, no.

I'll reply sober about 6pm CST

I agree but also disagree with much of what you have said but don't feel like forming a proper response

>ect

si haec recte scribere non potes, vina bibere non meres.

Actually it does. It's literally just alcoholic grape juice, it's not rocket science.

Grapes are grapes, dude.

You're seriously going to be a fruit snob?

I'm glad you enjoy your prison wine, at least you didn't have to make it in the toilet.

>Half Portuguese
>Much closer with Portuguese side of family
>Love Portuguese food
>Hate wine
>Everyone tells me I don't need to force myself during holidays as I wince it down
>Spent an entire 2 weeks in wine country doing tastings all over and trying every kind from pumpkin to ice
>Try drinking it slowly
>Try chugging it
>Force myself to drink it for years
>Still HATE wine

I want to like it so much. It tastes like rot water to me. It just tastes like someone threw a bunch of moss and orange peels in a blender. I don't understand how anyone likes it, it all tastes the same to me no matter the quality too. I hate it so much. I'm Portuguese, I'm supposed to love wine. I want to like it. I tried so hard. This isn't fair.

oh look, another psudeointellectual trying to make wine 10000x more complicated then it actually is....it's fermented grape juice m8, nothing more

realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

Wine is shit, and not even professional "connoisseurs" can tell the difference between a 3 buck chuck and a 300 dollar bottle.

Saying anything else means you are confirmed by science to be a pretentious cunt. There are dozens of studies replicating the same thing.

The variety of grapes used makes a difference, as does barrel aging and using different types of wood and charred vs uncharred barrels.

There is a huge flavor difference between properly fermented and aged wine and some slop you make in a 2 liter bottle using grape juice concentrate.

>There is a huge flavor difference

you mean a minor different. I'm a former Physicist and currently a Chemist. All that matters is the resulting product you dolt.

t. Alberto Barbosa