What is the negative effects of using a too much oil when cooking a steak in cast iron

What is the negative effects of using a too much oil when cooking a steak in cast iron.

I cook quit for friends and guests at their house and a couple of chefs have told me I use too much oil in the pan when cooking steak.

If this is true, what are the downsides?

Oil splattering all over the place.

They probably mean you don't have to use that much oil, because the steak will sear with a smaller amount
no need to waste oil

That makes sense but never been an issue for me

I usually cook rather thick steaks and typically do porterhouses and/or NY Strip and find the large amount of oil helps with rendering the fat on the strip side

That's just something faggy "muh health" cunts say.

That's one flyover looking steak, new friend.

Typical Amerifat.
>Likes his stakes deep fried.

I just googled castiron steak

I'm using 2 inch steaks m8; how are you supposed to render the fat on the strip side with only a TB of oil?

Typical Yuropeon.
>Doesn't even know how to spell.

Pick it up wth tongs and hold the strip side on the pan.

I believe you want to keep as little moisture in the pan as possible. It helps to make a crispy sear, and you don't want to end up frying it. Just lightly brush the pan with cooking oil

Not sure if you know what rendering means or not. Rendering just means to draw the fat out and that can be easily done without oil.

You do want to end up frying it. That's what helps make the sear.

>You do want to end up frying it.

Are we talking about pan-searing or pan-frying? If you want to pan-sear it, you shouldn't use that much oil and should put it at high heat. Pan-frying is more oil and medium-high heat.

Finally getting some correct information on 4chen,

>Not sure if you know what rendering means or not. Rendering just means to draw the fat out and that can be easily done without oil.

Right, I just want to bring the temp of the fat up to about 140; doing this with more oil makes it quicker and more even

Goddamn are you posting in every thread point out what you think are American posters?

Searing is mostly a myth, it's food lore.

If you're rendering the fat on a steak you're also rendering out the moisture.

Don't bother.

What in the actual fuck m8? I bet you microwave your steaks with margarine

I bet you will believe anything a person with a fancy hat and suit tells you.

Putting aside 'keeping the juices in', searing is important due to the Maillard reaction.

what about texture?

The idea is to cover the steak in oil rather than putting oil in the pan.

1. Meat at room temp
2. Light covering of oil
3. Freshly ground pepper
4. Good quality sea salt flakes
5. Steak in hot griddle pan
6. Refrain from touching the meat until ready to turn
7. Render the fat for a couple of mins
8. Rest meat

>meat at room temp
lol.no

Ok then so how?

Define room temperature? It's probably not what you think.

no you retard hes right. you let the steak dry out until its slightly sticky.

>room temp

errrrrr yeah cos you dont want to cook a steak straight from the fridge or freezer now do you?

You should be searing the sides themselves if the steaks are that thick.

>he doesn't know stakes

>Yuropeon.
>Doesn't even know how to spell.
retard.

Am I really gonna be the first person to say this?
You don't want to use too much oil because then you end up with greasy ass food.

Meat doesn't soak up oil. This is not bread. It doesn't matter if you lightly coat the meat or drown it it oil - the excess will run off when you lift the steak up and you end up with exactly the same amount of residual oil on the stake.
You're a retard. Now pls go.

>You don't want to use too much oil because then you end up with greasy ass food.

Are people really this fucking retarded to think this?

Yes you do. Colder steaks take longer to cook on the inside, meaning you can get a better sear while allowing the interior to remain rare.

If you want to eat raw meat then just do it and quit pretending to be a civilized human being like the rest of us with your "sear the outside" shit you worthless son of a bitch.

If you want raw meat go run around in the forest like the rest of the animals you filthy barbarian.

doesn't cook steaks in deep fryer

>not cooking your steaks sous vide and simply searing the outside

fucking philistine

>thread about cooking in cast iron
>bitches about superiority of sous vide

fucking retard

Fucking idiots w/ the palate of 6 year old. You autist might as well just eat tendies

>I eat shit with only the slightest pretense of cooking
>Clearly I have a superior sense of taste for COOKING

>le meme cookery

i bet you vape

I vape, yes.

wow thats a lot of oil. i barely use any oil cause i want a nice sear with some smokiness to flavor the steak, theres more than enough oil from rendering the fat

>i barely use any oil cause i want a nice sear
You're so clueless, it's cute