Is organic food a meme?

Is it possible to tell apart food made from organic ingredients?
I ask because I went to a vegetarian place which claimed that their food was made with organic ingredients.
>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/economist-organic-foods-just-marketing-2012-9
blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/
youtube.com/watch?v=c_IoNQHMFLk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is organic food a meme?
The name might be stupid, but food without pesticides is a good thing. You won't taste a difference between good normal food and organic food, but very cheap veggies usually taste kinda bad, watery, bloated, with little taste. Organic or Bio often is better quality and taste.

It's literally just a marketing term where food companies can jack up prices for scientifically illiterate Americans
businessinsider.com/economist-organic-foods-just-marketing-2012-9

>but food without pesticides is a good thing

Organic food still has pesticides, user. They're simply *different* pesticides than that used on conventional crops.

blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

>which claimed that their food was made with organic ingredients.

In that case it's impossible to tell.

Produce is hugely variable. With any kind of farming you will have both good produce and not-so-good produce. Good organic produce tastes better than crappy conventional produce. The opposite is also true: good conventional produce can taste better than organic.

not sure about US 'organic', but at least Yurop 'bio' is more or less without pesticides

It's without synthetic chemical pesticides.

Those pesticides created from "natural" sources are still allowed.

yes it is totally and utterly a meme.

The FDA has very loose regulations regarding what qualifies as "organic". Ffs the poverty grocery chain in my town has a store brand called Clearly Organic for budget prices that comes from the same goddamn farms/factories as their other shit-tier store brand. In America organic is, sadly, mostly marketing right now. This is the land where cage-free poultry means hens still live in a cafo in cages, but are just allowed access to a 10' x 10' plot of grass for a few hours a day, after all.

That said, if you can't taste the difference between fresh, local in-season produce from your areas farmers market or coop and the imported stuff you get at the grocers in the winter, well, you should probably just stick to your tendies.

Like arsenic.

Organic uses more pesticides you fucking moron

>Is it possible to tell apart food made from organic ingredients?

No, though I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Sometimes organic can taste worse because of less supply and less choice for retailers to choose from and it represents a much smaller portion of their sales so they they are less worried about finding the best suppliers in the first place.

yes because there's no standard as to what "organic" actually means

Organic is good if you can afford it, but "nonorganic" (for lack of a better term) is one of the reason there are no children starving to death in 1st world nations

Correct. Hopelessly outdated and less effective pesticides that have to be applied in hitler quantities.

When I buy produce, I buy whichever looks best, regardless of if it's organic or not.

Some "natural" organic pesticides are actually WORSE for the environment.

Is that cat okay?

Yes, it got ran over by an organic vegan tire.

JUST PLANT A FUCKING GARDEN

>there's no standard as to what "organic" actually means

Depends on which country you're in. "Organic" has a specific meaning in the EU, for example.

Minor kek.

The United States also has very specific standards of what "organic" food is; of course, as mentioned above, those standards include allowing the use of all sorts of "natural" pesticides, so any health benefit would be dubious at best.
The European standards also allow a bunch of the same pesticides, though there is of course differences in the details.

Organic foods use pesticides. Apples and pears had some bad parasites a season or two ago and sued the same pesticides as conventional fruits and was still labeled organic even.

Yes, organic food is a meme.
Honestly, both, uh, "industrial-grade" and "amateur-farmer-grade" can be good or shit.
You just have to judge it on case-by-case basis on your own. There is no guarantee that "organic" food is better than "non-organic" food.
Touch it, smell it, see how it looks etc. - there is a lot of distinctive shit of a quality product. Only then you can really figure out the quality of the food.

>but very cheap veggies usually taste kinda bad, watery, bloated, with little taste. Organic or Bio often is better quality and taste.

youtube.com/watch?v=c_IoNQHMFLk

hahahah retards actually believe this

Most food in America labels as organic actually isn't organic as we think it should be
It's just a buzzword they add to the packaging to get people to buy the overpriced goods

Organic isn't an FDA enforced term. So while I personally believe most organic foods are somehow less processed than other foods, there is no real standard to compare them. So those organic carrots you see could be basically identical to every other carrot in the grocery store. Except probably more expensive.

I started working full time a year ago and tried out using more organic food (or free-range, etc). To be honest, I didn't really notice any difference, at least not in taste. Maybe the hormones used in meat aren't good for you, but I don't really know how to qualify that.

Sure, but that doesn't mean "there's no standard as to what "organic" actually means" is true for either the USA or the EU.

"Organic farming standards allow the use of certain pesticides" is a different statement entirely.

There was an organic pesticide called rotenone that was giving farmers Parkinson's disease.

>In 2000, injecting rotenone into rats was reported to cause the development of symptoms similar to those of Parkinson's disease (PD). Rotenone was continuously applied over a period of five weeks, mixed with DMSO and PEG to enhance tissue penetration, and injected into the jugular vein.

Okay, so I'll avoid mainlining pesticides & DMSO cocktails.

>In 2011, a US National Institutes of Health study showed a link between rotenone use and Parkinson's disease in farm workers.