Is Alton Brown a hack or does he actually know what he's talking about?

Is Alton Brown a hack or does he actually know what he's talking about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G6aokWQz5yY?t=498
ifood.tv/chinese/23647-chinese-chicken-fried-rice
altonbrown.com/10-knife-buying-tips/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

he went to culinary school so he isn't a retard

That being said he has made 2 mistakes on his show that I was able to detect. That's a pretty good record given how much shit he has made

If there are two ways of doing something..

>way A takes 2 hours and tastes great
>way B takes 5 minutes and tastes 99% as good as way A

Alton chooses the long ass way every time.

I prefer America's Test Kitchen. They are all about making awesome food as easily as possible.

He's pretty good. Only time I've seen him go totally retarded was the mythbusters episode of Good Eats. His ""scientific"" mushroom experiment finds the exact opposite of what he thought was true, so he just ignores it and declares myth buster any way.

youtu.be/G6aokWQz5yY?t=498

Other than that, he knows quite a bit and gives good advice.

He barely knows and doesn't remember. Some people will say he went to school, I say his team googles methods and writes his script so he can read it.

Go watch the episode where he makes pad thai, looked pretty shitty. He tends to fuck up asian and hispanic cuisine the most. He's usually pretty knowledgeable in other cuisines though.

post a non shitty pad thai then

they all look like doo doo

His Suhis were atrocious

The man can't into Asian food, otherwise he has a solid grasp. I respect him

Alton brown's looks like white doo doo with watery cum sauce.

His excuse was that the Asians are super anal about sharing their ancient cuisine secrets, so even that pad thai was a shitty attempt to reverse-engineer it. Whether it's a good excuse is something else.

Which ones?

Checking doneness of steak by comparing it to parts of your palm near the thumb doesn't seem very consistent (across different peoples' hands and different cuts of steak).

would eat tho

i dunno i just noted it because I was in medical school at the time and it stood out so it was probably about physiology

I like the episode of the layover where him and Anthony biurdain go to watch the midget strip in an Atlanta strip club. If I was there that night I'd have shit myself.

slow cooking is the best cooking.

Though Sous Vide is retarded.

All I know is that I've cooked a few of his recipes to the T and they all turned out great. Same with Emeril Lagasse. Emeril's recipes on the foodnetwork site are spot-on, as long as you do exactly what that filthy WOP says to.

He has a very "my way is best and only way" attitude a lot of the time but he's always been pretty educational on why he does what he does

I like 'em both!

>Some people will say he went to school

He did actually go to a culinary school.
He studied filmmaking in university and then decided to make a cooking show, so he went to a culinary school.

Of course he also had a TV team doing his research, that's how TV works. He also had a kitchen behind the set, with a chef and a team of cooks.
That's how TV works, he even took the camera in to show how it works.

But he did go to culinary school.

best cooking show of all time was "Cookin' Cheap" but no one knows about it cause it predates the interent

He's entertaining and following his instructions makes food that tastes good, if not always great.

That's literally all I've come to want from a cooking show, so he's fine with me.

That's a garbage excuse.
Any cook book worth its salt will have a very accurate recipe.

To learn how to make real asian food, you need to just search for obscure youtube videos of some regular ass chinese guy sitting in his kitchen.

ifood.tv/chinese/23647-chinese-chicken-fried-rice

He puts too much importance on overpriced hipster knives when his show is geared towards the average Joe

In his episode about knives he says the opposite. He says use a knife that is comfortable and don't worry too much about the price.

This is true i literally just watched that episode. He says 'the best knife is the one that's most comfortable for you. so a $25 knife that you can use better than a $100 knife that you keep in the drawer'

What about this: altonbrown.com/10-knife-buying-tips/

He's a decent cook with good recipes for the most part. His show Good Eats mixed in science with cooking, to be more educational and different from other generic shows.

He tries too hard to be wacky and like a mad scientist now in my opinion. It's like the difference between Dante from Devil May Cry 1 and DMC. But I don't think that's entirely his fault, Food Network seems to be trying to appeal to people for entertainment instead of teaching people how to cook for the most part.

Food Network is trying to sell advertising slots, nothing more or less

I never really know what to make of the guy. Sometimes he seems genuinely nice, and sometimes he seems like an asshole. I'm judging from interviews and accounts of encounters with him outside of TV. I'm not sure if he's a pretentious jerk or just kind of socially awkward. I like his show, more than I dislike it. He just never comes off as genuine (not that any food TV is ever genuine).

He's not a very good actor and it makes him seem odd. From what I've read he's kinda a dick in a born again Christian wannabe redneck way.

I hope he at least used the phrase 'dirty fucking ching chongs' when giving his excuse, rather than just 'asians', which doesn't sound very genuine, considering how frustrating it would be.

10. Never, ever, ever run with knives.

he compared poking a steak with a fork to popping a water balloon. that's just not how it goes, my man.

It is possible (and indeed probable) that he is a hack and knows what he's talking about.