Do you kill your lobster before boiling it?

So Im planning to cook some lobster tonight but i was wondering you guys kill your lobster before boiling it and how do you do it? I know its supposed to be more humane and humane or whatever but I remember as a kid we would play games whwn we boiled lobster like bet how long each lobster would 'scream' for. What do yoy guys do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yEICS5qeE3k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QA4L8FtAw
youtube.com/watch?v=1_cZlvc8f6o
youtube.com/watch?v=rO_QYC3p-lc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_live_animals
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like to heart it scream

Sorry for the errors posting from a shitty phone...

Here's a good video:

youtube.com/watch?v=yEICS5qeE3k

You just use a knife to quickly split the head. Freezing it or just tossing it into boiling water is potentially causing it more pain than necessary. I think those two methods are done to seem "cleaner" and therefore more humane, but that's not how things always work.

who gives a shit if it feels pain.. its a fucking lobster i doubt they can even feel pain

Empathy is a normal human trait, user. It's why we moved from cutting chunks off of live animals to eat to trying to slaughter them as quickly as possible.

It seems cold to not care about causing something pain that could've been avoided. Did someone hurt you?

The suffering adds flavor.

Actually it makes the meat tougher and taste worse, that should tell you minimizing suffering is a good thing

I think learning how to cure meat is what stopped us from cutting legs off living animals

Food preservation predates more humane slaughter methods

You're killing something, there's no humaneness there

Apart from the boiling, do you guys purge your shellfish before cooking? Do you do it with fresh or salt water?

Pretty sure the lobster will "scream" even if you kill it before boiling. It's just gases being released from the under the shell.
Lobsters do feel pain so it would be more humane to kill it beforehand, there's no really benefit to not doing so either.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that chucking a lobster in the boiling water actually kills it instantly and the "screaming" is just the gasses being released

of course!

Pls don't kill the lil kitty :(

I put a little plank on the edge of my pot for it to walk. Only then do I turn the heat on and start cooking.

Me hearty! Make it walk the plank at the point of my trusty Sabatier.
I once read they don't have a brain and central nervous system, just ganglia throughout the body. But whatever, it's karma. Did the lobster pause to think about whether it was inflicting pain on another when it was grabbing its next meal with its pincers?

Are you Chinese?

oregonfag, i literally just grabbed a limit of manila/cockle clams saturday

most clams, no. i get out & clean just the meat. which means i rinse off all the sand.

for mussels or small cockles, which i steam whole, yes. i rinse off as much sand as i can at the cleaning station, then fill a bucket with sand-free seawater. by the time i get home (~1 1/2 hour drive) , theyve purged as much sand as your going to get out of them.

mussels & razor clams dont seem to harbour add much sand in my experience- which makes sense for the mussels at least. but bay clams, like manila (some old dudes call em quahogs), gapers, cockles, and geoducks have a lot of sand in them. they need to be either cleaned or purged.

although why you'd be willing to dig three feet down in gravel for one of those geoducks bastards i dont know. theyre not even very tasty.

I don't kill them before boiling, i just tickle their back and then put them in upside down

dammit i forgot to reply

this me

Yeah shellfish are unable to feel pain, don't feel bad

Absolutely no lobster chef kills the lobster before boiling

>friends house
>his mom has just ridiculously big knockers
>i'm heading home soon
>his dad comes in and says "hey guys come check this out"
>leads us back to the kitchen
>the mom has some live lobsters
>"lets see if they scream"
>she puts them in
>wait a minute
>nothing
>leave
Do it before. If they don't scream, they don't feel pain. Biology 101.

NO ONE DO THIS.

it will flip its tail and splash boiling water all over you

Pfft not if you tickle their backs

>it can't think like that so you shouldn't think like that
stop

Anyway, here's a list of animals it's okay to not kill humanely:

Horses
Cows
Chickens
Alligators
Lobsters
Crabs
Frogs
Dogs
Every insect

Animals you should kill humanely
Cats
Ducks
Pigs
Bears

>bill, this is a cooking show. please stop saying 'gootchie-gootchie-goo' every time you drop a lobster in the pot

>bill, youre a grown ass man

When the hell did we ever cut limbs off of live animals?

>not pinching her nipples with lobsters claws

story let me down

Switch horses and bears and this is correct.

>literally splits it's head in half and blood gushes out like Lobster Game of Thrones
>most humane way to kill

yes.

immediately severing the (albeit primitive) nervous system

think bullet to the brain, for humans. pretty? no. quick & essentially. painless? yep.

no

If you eat any kind of meat, you are a hypocrite. Also naive.

good a time as any to post this

This. Everyone knows cruelty makes food better. There's a reason foie gras is so delicious.

Gavage causes no pain to the birds

Do you give cockroaches a last meal, strap it down and wait till exactly midnight before spraying bug spray on it? Lobsters are basically sea cockroaches. Kill it as you see fit.

I hate niggers.
If nigger meat could be processed into pig feed it should be the new crime control initiative.
How would you process human ( nigger ) meat into pig feed? Would grinding the flesh down, bone and all into a meal, be an option? What else would you have to do to make it readily consumable for pigs?

>Anyway, here's a list of animals it's okay to not kill humanely:
>Dogs
>Animals you should kill humanely
>Cats

Though I agree with most of your list, killing cats should carry a death penalty world wide unless its to relieve it of suffering at the very end of its natural life.

What kind of souless savage even thinks about killing cats? Are you a Republican?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QA4L8FtAw

^Watch that op before you cook lobster.
Ramsey showing Clarkson how to kill, clean and not screw up lobster.

Fuck off, cats are pieces of shit.

Chink detected

nigger detected. who are you stealing internet from dindu?

Lobsters don't feel pain. A friend of mine researched this in college by putting acid and other stuff to test it.

Although she tested crawfish. Those are basically lobsters though.

>chink

Nigger France is king of torture flavoring. Just read up on the ortolan bunting

>They are then kept in covered cages or boxes. This "artificial night" causes the birds to gorge themselves on grain (usually millet seed) until they double their bulk. "Roman Emperors stabbed out ortolans’ eyes in order to make the birds think it was night, making them eat even more". The birds are then thrown into a container of Armagnac which both drowns and marinates the birds

Its on my bucket list to eat one

Thousands of years ago, it was done.

That's why I said it's messier, but it's quicker and less painful than being thrown into a pot of boiling water. Just because something looks cleaner doesn't mean it's less painful.

Think about being shot in the head vs strangled to death. One is messier than the other, but also much quicker and less painful for the victim.

>Well I'm gonna die, might as well torture a helpless animal
Are you going to do this before or after you take every drug you can and have sex with as many people as possible?

Lobsters and crawfish do feel pain

Not if you tickle their backs

This kills the lobster.

Yes. But only by gunshot or bolt gun

Seems to be the most effective.

Strangling takes awhile or putting it in a miejer bag in the freezer toughens it

Adding to this, how can something scream if it has no vocal chords?

You only kill it first if it's a cat in a lobster costume.

No. They don't.

hope you're not suggesting there's no difference between killing an animal quickly to eat it, and making an animal experience terrible pain as it slowly dies.

>miejer bag
MI fag?

i think it's air escaping from somewhere

Do you worry about killing cockroaches "humanely"? Because that's basically all a lobster is. A big-ass bug that tastes delicious.

Seriously just put it in a steam bath and it's dead in five seconds anyway

Fuck off murderer.

don't worry, eHow has you covered, boudreaux:

youtube.com/watch?v=1_cZlvc8f6o

>fuck dogs and horses

g00k, please

>Do you worry about killing cockroaches "humanely"?
Yeah, you try to kill them as quickly as possible so they don't suffer.

You don't sit there slowly pulling it apart and sticking it with pins.

>inb4 someone claims they do that
Yeah you're dark and edgy Patrick Bateman

>i like hearing it scream
>let it suffer
if anyone's looking for victims of child abuse, look no further

cute ^o^

So a doctor administering a lethal dose to an old man with pancreatic cancer with his express permission is the same as isis torching someone in a cage?

Fuck you're pretty dumb eh?

Sometimes I squish them gently so they're still alive but can't run, then throw them in the toilet to float futilely. I piss on it throughout the day and watch it flounder, only flushing after it's time to do my crap.

Nothing you do in life matters. Acts of mercy or cruelty are there only to satisfy your own ego. Everything you do is in vain when confronted with an understanding of the universes immense and terrifying indifference.

Unless you're going through a very late puberty, you're not supposed to be on this site.

I know a chef that often has to prep and cook large amounts of blue crab. When he gets the order in live, he picks one out. This one sits on his station... his chef buddy. He talks to it while he preps the rest by cutting their faces off and boiling them and such. He treats his chef buddy like a pet. When all the other crab are done, he cuts his chef buddies face off, cooks and eats him himself.

>It's why we moved from cutting chunks off of live animals
When the fuck did we do this???

>Can't handle the truth
Nigger.

you know why we differentiate the killing of a human being with the killing of an animal?

because an animal does fucking nothing, it thinks of nothing, it doesn't have any damn aspirations for the future. It doesn't matter if you end an animal's life when it's 5 years old or 10 years old, it's the same animal doing the same shit, except when it's older it's in more pain from it's nothing existence because it's got achey joints from age.

we have a responsibility as the superiors of all these animals to treat them humanely and not inflict unnecessary pain on them, but a quick kill after a short life of roaming about in a field eating grass as it likes to do best? no problem.

same reason we put down suffering dogs, because the poor thing isn't thinking "just give me a few more years and I'll get to see my grandkids grow up"

In God's eyes, they are equally as bad.

If you're so afraid of causing animals suffering, why not just go vegan? Seriously at this point you're just wasting your time. Go vegan and never have to worry about these trivial matters.

Brainless, Im not even a christfag but know that god gave mankind dominion over animals. So you can't bring up god and then say go vegan, its fucking dumb, you're fucking dumb, eat some meat it might(though I doubt) make your brain work again.

Spotted the nigger.

the problem with killing them before boiling is you're piercing the carcass and losing a lot of flavour. the best method is to anaesthetise them with clove oil, but barely anyone does this.

This in terms of lobster and crawfish live is best. They god bad extremely fast and shit themselves when they die instead of it staying in the part you would cut out after. Just boil it alive and go. I know it sucks but its a giant cockroach not a puppy.

not having lobster death row/gas chamber in kitchen.

>some water bug = human

FUCKING HIPPIES

NOT EVEN ONCE

Haha your friend is an idiotic animal torturer

To answer op most scientists agree that lobsters feel pain but that death by boiling would take a few seconds. Some fancy restaurants with lobster loving patrons claim they kill it by destroying the brain and nerve stem with a sharp knife before boiling

Honestly if I was a lobster I'd like to have that last swimming adventure before I go

Does clove oil really mask the pain of boiling to death?

youtube.com/watch?v=rO_QYC3p-lc

The boiling is how you kill it, traditionally. Boil the water, drop it in.

Did we actually cut pieces of animals off without killing them?

>implying lobsters feel pain

nice try jewish vegan merchant

mwfw

You know how /mlp/ is the containment board for shitposts on Veeky Forums? This post is why Veeky Forums is the containment board for the rest of the internet.

No I meant, humanely put down with nice drugs so it's like going to sleep ;_; oh my god my cats getting old i don't want him to go

It probably wasn't done by every person at the time, but yes.

Forms of it are still in practice today, mostly in Asia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_live_animals

>The fish is typically filleted without being killed and served while the heart is still beating and the mouth opening and closing. Sometimes the fish is temporarily returned to an aquarium to swim around and recover for a second course.